Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

Is there any system of government that will ever make you happy?

Yes, of course. The division of the country into fiefdoms, all of which would be distributed along with letters patent amongst the members of the judiciary. Prosecutors and PDs would be kept on as knightly retainers by the now lordly class of honoured judges, and all political functions would be transferred into the hands of great judicial councils. All lords and knights would have to forsake commercial and mechanical arts, and the bulk of the population who embrace those economic lifestyles would in turn have to forsake all political weight.

SCOTUS would be renamed the House of Lords, and its membership would be greatly expanded to include many of the top judges who also have a particularly strong understanding of ancient greek texts. The commons could never own land, and would instead rent it from the enfeoffed judges, who would use the proceeds to commission great, columned, marble courthouses, with many statues of classical figures. Judges would also maintain, a tad below their knights, a class of learned scientists who could give expert testimony for free, and generally live a chaste life given to research. Then they would spend the remainder to perform the functions of local government.

There are many other details, but this ought to give you a general idea of the simple reforms that would keep me happy.

quote:

So when a law is passed according to the system laid out in the state or federal constitution, it's the lawyer right to decide whether he wants to obey it or not without any fear of consequences? Come on. Now you're just trolling me.

This has nothing to do with the quote you just responded to. Nowhere did I suggest that the lawyer can ignore the law with no fear of consequences. Of course there are consequences; a bully will hit you even if he oughtn't to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Lykourgos posted:

Yes, of course. The division of the country into fiefdoms, all of which would be distributed along with letters patent amongst the members of the judiciary. Prosecutors and PDs would be kept on as knightly retainers by the now lordly class of honoured judges, and all political functions would be transferred into the hands of great judicial councils. All lords and knights would have to forsake commercial and mechanical arts, and the bulk of the population who embrace those economic lifestyles would in turn have to forsake all political weight.

SCOTUS would be renamed the House of Lords, and its membership would be greatly expanded to include many of the top judges who also have a particularly strong understanding of ancient greek texts. The commons could never own land, and would instead rent it from the enfeoffed judges, who would use the proceeds to commission great, columned, marble courthouses, with many statutes of classical figures. Judges would also maintain, a tad below their knights, a class of learned scientists who could give expert testimony for free, and generally live a chaste life given to research. Then they would expend the remainder to perform the functions of local government.

There are many other details, but this ought to give you a general idea of the simple reforms that would keep me happy.

This has nothing to do with the quote you just responded to. Nowhere did I suggest that the lawyer can ignore the law with no fear of consequences. Of course there are consequences; a bully will hit you even if he oughtn't to do so.

Good show, sir. I tip my dunce cap to you.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Lykourgos posted:

Day 3, or maybe 4, of intense bar studying; time has become a blur. Get out of bed and start studying, don't stop until 8pm. Boring poo poo. the horror. have managed to escape for a few minutes; send he;lp

What kind of man can't handle three loving days of bar study? There is no doubt that you'd have been cast onto the dead baby heap in Sparta. :lol:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TyChan posted:

Well, you are proving me right in that there is a lot of music you are downloading because you don't feel like (or can't) pay for it. I probably should have been more nuanced, but basically I was pointing out that that many people downloading music through free, illegal channels are downloading it because they simply don't want to pay for it and don't want to go without it.

And at the same time, I don't think you're saying that what you are doing is legal either, correct?

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just explaining my position a bit further. And no obviously it is not legal to download for free otherwise we (you) wouldn't be having this discussion and scaring Phil back to LF.

I mainly am just a big fan of doing things that gently caress over people with lots of money because I've basically come to terms with the fact that barring a lottery win I will never have lots of money. Maybe someday I will get rich and on that day I will start to care about things like copyright infringement and tax brackets and market crashes.

Maybe that's juvenile but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that word used to describe me.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

yadayadayada posted:

What kind of man can't handle three loving days of bar study? There is no doubt that you'd have been cast onto the dead baby heap in Sparta. :lol:

It's the indignity that is overwhelming. Most of these subjects would be illegal for Spartans to practice seriously, and the fact I'm meant to memorise great chunks of this stuff for a highly questionable exam should be a cause of action in and of itself

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How many people became lawyers because they got mad when Napster got shut down, I did

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

It's the indignity that is overwhelming. Most of these subjects would be illegal for Spartans to practice seriously, and the fact I'm meant to memorise great chunks of this stuff for a highly questionable exam should be a cause of action in and of itself

As much as I don't like agreeing with this gimmick, the bar exam pisses me off for this reason. 90% of the Texas bar is from knowing specific rules about specific areas of law, many of which are irrelevant. 10% (MPT) tests actual and useful lawyering skills that one should have picked up during law school.

Memorization is dumb. If the board of law examiners REALLY think the essay portion tests analyzation (it doesn't), then we should be able to use outlines for it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

TheBestDeception posted:

As much as I don't like agreeing with this gimmick, the bar exam pisses me off for this reason. 90% of the Texas bar is from knowing specific rules about specific areas of law, many of which are irrelevant. 10% (MPT) tests actual and useful lawyering skills that one should have picked up during law school.

Memorization is dumb. If the board of law examiners REALLY think the essay portion tests analyzation (it doesn't), then we should be able to use outlines for it.

We don't even do the MPT; 6 MEE questions, 6 state questions, and the MBE. If I tackled a real-life issue the way I'm supposed to on the bar, I'd be liable for malpractice.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

TheBestDeception posted:

Get over it. The bar exam isn't about seeing if you're fit to practice law, it's about providing barriers to entry so you people don't come take our jobs. What we really need are longer bar exams with ridiculous amounts of required memorization, character and fitness standards which are only questionably constitutional, and ideally some sort of labyrinth full of minotaurs.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Lykourgos posted:

I just cracked open my fortune cookie from dinner - did you write it?

"They are never alone who are accompanied by noble thought."

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Are all the words on these last two pages still about downloading music

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Draile posted:

Are all the words on these last two pages still about downloading music

Couldn't tell you, I was too busy downloading Britney Spears' discography to read them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MaximumBob posted:

Get over it. The bar exam isn't about seeing if you're fit to practice law, it's about providing barriers to entry so you people don't come take our jobs. What we really need are longer bar exams with ridiculous amounts of required memorization, character and fitness standards which are only questionably constitutional, and ideally some sort of labyrinth full of minotaurs.

I fully support any barrier to entry that includes a labyrinth full of minotaurs.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
If the labyrinth is full of minotaurs, what's waiting for you at the center?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yesterday I spent all day trying to correctly format a table of contents in Microsoft Word. Today I figured it out as soon as I got in. Hella lame.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Holland Oats posted:

More minotaurs

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Holland Oats posted:

A drinking contest.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Having a barrier to entry like the bar would make a lot more sense if people had to take it before they go to law school and fully commit themselves to the profession.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^
CA already does it to non-accredited law school students. Doesn't help much.

MaximumBob posted:

As a member of the bar already, I fully support this.
Admittedly, the CA bar already has a minotaur, but you do get to bring a knife and I think weapons are cheating.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yesterday I went to an intern event for some NYC lawyer association. It was pretty cool. A recent shingle-hanger from Touro Law School came. It became depressing.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I met with some law students earlier in the week and when we were discussing what brought us to law school I found out that there are still a lot of students leaving real jobs (finance, wedding photography) for law school to make real money or seek a more fulfilling job and it depressed the hell out of me. :smith: I thought we were all aware of the prospects and just kind of plugging our ears and believing we'd be the ones to make it. I have no idea how people avoided this information when they were researching schools.

Geschi
Dec 22, 2007

War starts at midnight!

Neko Sou posted:

I met with some law students earlier in the week and when we were discussing what brought us to law school I found out that there are still a lot of students leaving real jobs (finance, wedding photography) for law school to make real money or seek a more fulfilling job and it depressed the hell out of me. :smith: I thought we were all aware of the prospects and just kind of plugging our ears and believing we'd be the ones to make it. I have no idea how people avoided this information when they were researching schools.

They read the schools website and listened to friends who probably weren't lawyers and believed that Law School= $$$$ and then they thought about how they like to debate/argue.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Geschi posted:

They read the schools website and listened to friends who probably weren't lawyers and believed that Law School= $$$$ and then they thought about how they like to debate/argue.

Don't forget the very large contingent of wide-eyed Save-the-World types who will use The Law to prevent one or more of the following:

- human rights violations, including but not limited to, discrimination, economic oppression in all its capitalist forms, war crimes, political disenfranchisement, and American hegemony.

- animal rights violations, including but not limited to whale hunting, animal testing, animal cruelty, and the continued existence of Michael Vick.

- environmental catastrophes, including but not limited to oil well drilling, deforestation, acid rain, gas leaks, water contamination, and polar ice cap melting.

These same types are also the ones who are going to finally make the big bad corporations stop exploiting and harming the helpless naive masses.

Sometimes, these are also the same people who are going to stop the big bad government from imprisoning minorities on drug charges and from illegalizing immigration.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I went to law school to practice michael vick law

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

I fully support additional arbitrary barriers to entry in the special person's club, but only after I am first admitted to this special person's club. When the next generation of lawyers cry about the 3-week-long bar exam (complete with physical fitness requirement), I'll just remind them that I, too, had to pass the bar.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Despite me jumping up and down waving a motion and a huge stack of cases, my boss still insists we don't have to file a summary judgment on a matter of law and we can do a directed verdict alongside all our other causes of action. Note that this is not a "no evidence" matter of law.

:smithicide:

I'm trying to figure out when the hell you're supposed to present a contract to the court for interpretation when summary judgment isn't used now. Yay.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 22, 2010

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I went to law school because I had a good engineering background and figured I could pretty easily get a well-paying patent job if I got into a good law school.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
In my final days working in mid-law as a non-lawyer. I'm really going to miss it. I love this job.

Being an attorney better be as enjoyable as what I'm doing now but I'm pretty confident that these past two years will end up having been the best job I will ever have had in my entire life lol unless if I make it to the federal judiciary lol not going to happen.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
As of late the recurring nightmares I have are either being back in primary school or finding out there's an unscheduled IP/bankruptcy/torts final coming up tomorrow even though its summer and the semester hasn't even started yet and I don't have any books so I wake up thrashing in my sheets thinking "but maybe if I buy a lot of gatorade and hope for the best" in a panicked daze for like five minutes until I realize where I am and who I am and then the rest of the day is ruined as the adrenaline passes out of my system.

Law school.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

lipstick thespian posted:

As of late the recurring nightmares I have are either being back in primary school or finding out there's an unscheduled IP/bankruptcy/torts final coming up tomorrow even though its summer and the semester hasn't even started yet and I don't have any books so I wake up thrashing in my sheets thinking "but maybe if I buy a lot of gatorade and hope for the best" in a panicked daze for like five minutes until I realize where I am and who I am and then the rest of the day is ruined as the adrenaline passes out of my system.

Law school.

Ahh anxiety dreams. I still get the 1) can't seem to make it to class on time and miss the whole exam or 2) the test is literally in a different language (mostly what my brain thinks Chinese looks like).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My recurring nightmare is that I'm in college, and I realize that I can't remember whether or not I officially dropped that calculus class but I really hope I did because the final is tomorrow and there's going to be hell to pay if I don't show up or I fail it.

Then I wake up and wish that my real problems were only college-related

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
On Tuesday I dreamed that I was in court for a status conference but it was actually the trial date (IRL trial is next week) and I tried to get my client to settle (because that is what they will probably do in real life) but they were like "No we aren't going to settle, try this case" and I was like "I'm not prepared to try it today," and they said "Ok"

So what I'm saying is those dreams don't go away. In fact I still have dreams that I'm walking into the final exam for a class that I've done nothing to prepare for and I'm years removed from school.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
From an old helldump thread:

Randbrick posted:

evilweasel posted:

where is this information because if I don't get into harvard I need to compare the levels of evil in my other choices to determine the most appropriate law school for me to go to

the golden metric i used was this guide that had top 20 rankins for # of graduates with fellowships with the heritage foundation and # of graduates with fellowships with the center for american progress

i figured that was a really good way to measure

it also had specialties listed, so i searched for public interest law to give good points and patent/intellectual property and securities law to give evil points

i could probably make a spreadsheet if i find the time and inclination

it could be graphed out into a continuum of good vs. evil with the y axis being school ranking and it would provide a disturbing insight into the soul of man

i really like this notion of developing an quantiative ranking for law schools based on evil, graphed against the school ranking

has anyone done this

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

TyChan posted:

Are businesses really slow and inefficient if the activity that is causing them to bleed money is illegal and ignores long-standing legal rights meant to protect the generation of that content?

I don't like the RIAA, but just saying record companies and musicians should "just make better music" or "be like iTunes" really doesn't solve the problem that a massive infrastructure is there to allow people to avoid buying stuff that they legally should be paying for.

Whether the present system of intellectual property right protection is tailored enough to fulfill its original purpose is another issue altogether. Likewise, just because you don't feel like giving Justin Beiber or Metallica money doesn't mean that you're entitled to use a non-sanctioned channel to take the music he and his company produced and have a validly legislated right to control.

The fact that an activity is illegal de lege lata is not on its own an argument to the effect that it should be illegal or wrong on some moral plane.

I always find natural rights arguments here pretty overplayed. Perhaps this is coming from a system where the idea doesn't have much traction. Given the nonexclusivity of information, any construction of ownership over a piece of music is by necessity going to look different than ownership of a specific car. Enforcing possession of something nonexclusive is obviously going to have to be done through some form of legislation. The question of wheter that legislation exists is different from wheter it should exist.

Calls of "BUT THAT'S ILLEGAL" are just kind of white noise. Pretty much every youtube video contains a bunch of copyright infringements and are thus illegal. The fact that nobody cares can either be a cause of worry or a good thing depending on your perspective but pointing out the illegality of it all is obviously not the same as pointing out that it is considered wrong.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Green Crayons posted:

In my final days working in mid-law as a non-lawyer. I'm really going to miss it. I love this job.

Being an attorney better be as enjoyable as what I'm doing now but I'm pretty confident that these past two years will end up having been the best job I will ever have had in my entire life lol unless if I make it to the federal judiciary lol not going to happen.

If it's so enjoyable, why do you want to be a lawyer?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Petey posted:

From an old helldump thread:

the golden metric i used was this guide that had top 20 rankins for # of graduates with fellowships with the heritage foundation and # of graduates with fellowships with the center for american progress

i figured that was a really good way to measure

it also had specialties listed, so i searched for public interest law to give good points and patent/intellectual property and securities law to give evil points

i could probably make a spreadsheet if i find the time and inclination

it could be graphed out into a continuum of good vs. evil with the y axis being school ranking and it would provide a disturbing insight into the soul of man

i really like this notion of developing an quantiative ranking for law schools based on evil, graphed against the school ranking

What happened to Randbrick anyway?

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 22, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

lipstick thespian posted:

What happened to Randbrick anyway?

He wrote a couple articles for CAP and WM and I think he's still in law school but I don't know.

The greatest poster, gone.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Petey posted:

He wrote a couple articles for CAP and WM and I think he's still in law school but I don't know.

The greatest poster, gone.

He was the finest of our generation. Tonight I'm going to pour a 40 out on the windowsill in memory of the helldump that once was.

Rest in peace, Goons.txt

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Green Crayons posted:

You'll be fine. Being an attorney is the tops.

EDIT: In other news, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I've been interviewing federal judges for a book my professor's working on (I'm an RA), and nearly every single one of them has told me that they had no f'ing clue what they wanted to do when they graduated ugrad. They believed a law degree was 'marketable' and would lead them to a career even if they didn't want to practice law, and if not, there was always a job as attorney. Guess it worked, because being a federal judge is pretty swank. heh

tau fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 1, 2016