Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya on the Edge DVD they have footage of him winning his first IC title which was at a house show.

I thought I remember them saying it was at Shotgun Saturday Night. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I just seem to remember it looking really crowded around the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm sure this has probably been asked before - but are there cameras present at the house shows (WWE production cameras) and are they filmed? I'd imagine if there were that they'd have a huge backlog of silly poo poo by now that would make a great DVD similar to the bloopers videos that were released in the past.

They keep a single video camera pointed at the ring during house shows. This is for insurance purposes, and they started doing this after Droz was paralyzed.

So it wouldn't exactly be reference-quality footage that could be released on DVD, but it exists.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Foley was super-over, and he was the workhorse of the McMahon/Austin/Rock feud. He kept that thing fresh and was the perfect opponent for the Rock, which allowed for the eventual match at wrestlemania, between Austin and Rock, to feel fresh.

Looking back, Undertaker seemed to be in a weird transitional period for a while there. He was more of an added attraction, a perennial number-one contender until the Ministry of Darkness formed, and he was brought further into the main storyline of the time by the Ministry's formation, but even then, his opponent at WM that year was Bossman. Soon after, whatever role he had was quickly overshadowed by HHH's heel turn and Mcmahon as the higher power.

McMahon was the perfect opposite for Austin and represented everyone's douchebag boss. Without him, Austin's persona takes a huge hit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

Generally no. They take pictures for the website and they do keep a video camera around for if it's needed but they aren't recording every show.
Lance Storm said that they recorded every House Show he ever worked.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Ken Shamrock was the most dangerous man in the Attitude Era.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Why did they hold Wrestlemania 2 at 3 different venues?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shitty_Wok posted:

I'm just guessing, but during that time period big time boxing and wrestling events would be simulcast via satellite to arenas. I'm thinking that the WWF may have added a match or two live in the 2 cities that weren't the main billing to boost attendance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shitty_Wok posted:

It was something promoters had tried off and on for years, running one event in several cities or coordinating with other promoters (the infamous Inoki/Ali match was part of one of these.) You can either split costs between promoters for one mega event, or in the case of Starrcade 85 or Wrestlemania 2, you can try and collect on several gates rather than just one all the while paying talent for one card.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Fun fact: the ring announcer for the LA portion of WrestleMania 2 is Lee Marshall. If there's been a more boring wrestling announcer than Lee Marshall, I've yet to hear him.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Lee Marshall knows how to party though.

He also did the voice for Tony the Tiger. He's great

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Christian pinned Regal pretty quickly at Summerslam iirc

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
If you consider the Attitude Era as Wrestlemania 14 - 17 I think it'd go:

1. Stone Cold
2. the Rock
3. Mr. McMahon
4. Mankind
5. Undertaker
6. Kane
7. Triple H
8. New Age Outlaws
9. Big Show / Jericho / Angle / Benoit / Eddie / Chyna / Edge & Christian / Dudleys / Hardy Boys

This was supposed to be a Top 10 but I don't think anyone in 9 was consistently more or less over than anyone else.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'd think I'd go:

1. Austin
2. Mr. McMahon
3. The Rock
4. Foley
5. Triple H
6. DX
7-9. Edge & Christian/Dudleys/Hardys
10-11. Undertaker/Kane

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Undertaker vs Austin was the highest rated segment on Raw for a long time (maybe it still is?) according to Meltzer. Most people say it's "This is Your Life", but apparently Austin vs Taker was actually higher.

Not sure if that helps Takers case at all, or just cements Austin as #1.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
didnt mark henry dq himself against hardy one year at a SS in about 30 seconds?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I argue Undertaker was bigger than being ranked low 10's. If you talk to anyone who even had an idea of wrestling in the late 90s and say "UNDERTAKER" they almost always certainly know who you mean, and his continued ability to move t-shirts and 7-11 cups presently is a testament to his drawing power.

DX as a group was pretty big and definitely had most people talking. I remember in 6th grade it was all crotch chops all day. I'd say probably them after Rock, Austin and Mr. McMahon and Undertaker.

1. Rock/Austin
2. Austin/Rock
3. Mr. McMahon
4. Undertaker
5. DX

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I really think Mick Foley should be in the top 5.

1) The Rock
2) Austin
3) Mick Foley
4) Undertaker
5) DX

I'd leave Vince off it, personally, because he wasn't really a wrestler.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2010

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

1) The Rock
2) Austin
3) Mick Foley
4) Undertaker
5) DX

He did win the WWF Title and had a main event match on PPV during this time, you know.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He did win the WWF Title and had a main event match on PPV during this time, you know.

Vince also won the Rumble. And he had 3 main event matches that I can think of (St Valentine's Day Massacre, KOTR & Armageddon 99)

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

1) The Rock
2) Austin
3) Mick Foley
4) Undertaker
5) DX

Vince McMahon was the biggest heel all throughout the Attitude era, and Austin wouldn't have been as popular if he didn't have the evil Mr. McMahon to play off of. Leaving him off would be stupid. He main evented in matches, and was always involved in the main event matches at virtually every PPV. He won a Rumble, won a title. He was definitely more important for the attitude era than Undertaker, Mick Foley, and DX.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I'm rewatching 1998 Raw, and it's amazing how inconsequential DX is. HHH has been injured for a lot of the year, the Outlaws putter around in the tag division, Xpac has some low level Euro title feuds. They're mega over, but they live in their little bubble wrestling with the Headbangers and such.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DX really didn't become relevant until the latter half of 1998 into the early parts of 1999 (until HHH's abortion of a heel turn at WrestleMania XV).

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I could never get into the whole DX thing. At the time I felt like it was just nWo taken to a ridiculous extreme and even at a much younger age the humor felt really forced and childish to me.

That being said - Shawn Michaels superkicking his way through the hallway of the backstage area was pretty funny, but I can't be sure that wasn't the new DX incarnation. I saw in on youtube way after the fact.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I once asked about the relevancy of the Undertaker during the Attitude Era in this thread. I ultimately felt he wasn't that relevant for two reasons:

1. His gimmick became a bit stale because occupation-based and supernatural gimmicks were less acceptable because the audience wasn't mostly children anymore. So, newcomers to the main event overshadowed UT a bit, which led to Bikertaker, which I would call a mixed success.
2. Most of his Attitude Era moments took place outside of matches e.g. sacrificing Austin because I don't think he had that many good-great matches during this time because he wasn't as good a worker as he is now. Sure, he has the first two HIACs, but what else? In fact, I'd argue that HIAC 2 was all Foley, similar to how the WM10 ladder match was all HBK, even though Razor won.

But from judging the comments in this thread, maybe my memory needs to be jogged?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm rewatching 1998 Raw, and it's amazing how inconsequential DX is. HHH has been injured for a lot of the year, the Outlaws putter around in the tag division, Xpac has some low level Euro title feuds. They're mega over, but they live in their little bubble wrestling with the Headbangers and such.

They started feuding with the Nation pretty quickly after forming, with DX vs the Nation being the major mid card feud of the summer of 98.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

They started feuding with the Nation pretty quickly after forming, with DX vs the Nation being the major mid card feud of the summer of 98.
Also in between Summerslam 98 & WM XV DX & Foley feuded with the Corporation while Austin was chillin/feuding with Vince & Undertaker.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Timby posted:

DX really didn't become relevant until the latter half of 1998 into the early parts of 1999 (until HHH's abortion of a heel turn at WrestleMania XV).

I'd say they didn't become relevant again until the latter half of 1998. They were certainly relevant from the beginning until Shawn retired.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That being said - Shawn Michaels superkicking his way through the hallway of the backstage area was pretty funny, but I can't be sure that wasn't the new DX incarnation. I saw in on youtube way after the fact.

That's only a couple years old.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How did Kurt Angle go from this in the WWE:

To this in TNA:

to me they looks very different and while I realize there is ~10 years between the two images. I can;t rack it all up to age.

Face the different, gaunter. The eyes look like they've changed color.

Kurt Angle died and they replaced him with a doppelganger didn't he?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nystral posted:

To this in TNA:

to me they looks very different and while I realize there is ~10 years between the two images. I can;t rack it all up to age.

He should have retired due to injury and stress in 2003. He kept working.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He should have retired due to injury and stress in 2003. He kept working.

The same thing happened with Christian and Goldust when they went to TNA. Then they looked 10 years younger when they got back to WWE.

TNA is sucking the youth out of the people wrestling there. They use it to keep Dixie Carter young.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Burrito posted:

TNA is sucking the youth out of the people wrestling there. They use it to keep Dixie Carter young.

I loving KNEW IT! Ever since the Jeff Hardy pics.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nystral posted:

To this in TNA:

Heavy painkiller abuse and heavy alcohol abuse have similar physical symptoms: Bloating followed by a gaunt appearance after a flushing of the system, bags under the eyes, depression (which leads to sleep problems) and the like. Angle doesn't look like he's drinking his calories, which is a positive, but he doesn't look right. Angle was doing his best to kill himself, which is why WWE sent him on his merry way. In TNA, with the hilariously awful drug testing policy, Angle is ... well, he's Angle.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 23, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Nystral posted:

To this in TNA:

lol he looks exactly the same to me besides looking serious instead of smiling and lost weight

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Look at his cold, dead eyes. The lights are on but no one has been home for a few years now.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
When Sabu came to the WWE and debuted at One Night Stand he had a WHC title shot against Mysterio which ended in a no contest. Has anyone else had a title shot in their debut match and not won the title?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

apsouthern posted:

When Sabu came to the WWE and debuted at One Night Stand he had a WHC title shot against Mysterio which ended in a no contest. Has anyone else had a title shot in their debut match and not won the title?

Can't remember if it was a title match but Paul London's debut involved him going up against then-champion, Brock Lesnar

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

apsouthern posted:

Recently Kendrick being the mystery opponent for a X-Division title match at a TNA PPV and losing the match.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

apsouthern posted:

I thought he had his first WWE match on that special WWE vs ECW show on USA? I think he faced Cena. Cena was champ so it had to be before ONS 2006

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

apsouthern posted:

That wasnt his debut :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYJH2aRgz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Burrito posted:

The same thing happened with Christian and Goldust when they went to TNA. Then they looked 10 years younger when they got back to WWE.

Makeup is a wonderful thing.

Top Attitude Era Stars:
1. Steve Austin
2. Vince McMahon (without those two, you have no WWF win over WCW)
3. The Rock
4. Mankind
5. The Undertaker
6. Triple H
7. Shane McMahon
8. Divas
9. D-X
10. Stephanie McMahon