Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

You mean when one opens in the background because of a different process? Because any app is going to have its keyboard input blocked if you have a UAC prompt in the foreground.
Yeah, I mean the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

gibbed posted:

Yeah, I mean the background.

Hasn't happened to me, no. Does the same thing not happen with other apps?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Hasn't happened to me, no. Does the same thing not happen with other apps?
Yeah, only Opera is affected by this.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There hasn't been a new build since July 9. Pretty much every time that happens they come back with some wacky new feature I rarely care about and focus on that for another month instead of fixing all the strange quirks and pages that don't work. :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

There hasn't been a new build since July 9. Pretty much every time that happens they come back with some wacky new feature I rarely care about and focus on that for another month instead of fixing all the strange quirks and pages that don't work. :(

They're on summer vacation.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone else have issues with middle-clicking in 10.6? Sometimes when I middle-click a link, it'll open up multiple tabs of it. Or if I middle-click a tab to close it, Opera will close two or three tabs as if I kept middle-clicking in the same spot.

I didn't have this issue in earlier versions.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Wheany posted:

They're on summer vacation.

I thought you were joking but you're right.

http://twitter.com/opvard/

quote:

Snapshots will be less frequent during summer due to vacation. Quite a few upcoming fixes, but probably no build this week.
7:37 AM Jul 16th via web

Other bits of note

quote:

@PALOMOPCS We're trying to get a snapshot out with some core fixes (and a couple web standards improvements), but no guarantees.
about 4 hours ago via web in reply to PALOMOPCS

and also these

quote:

Oh yes... One of my top personal feature wishes for Opera was just
added. Can't wait to try it out in a build!
7:39 AM Jul 22nd via web

Oh my, now people's expectations are really high! My top wishes
aren't necessarily yours ;-) But I think a lot of people will like it.
11:04 PM Jul 22nd via web

Regarding that new feature (which is part of a bigger package), I hope we can get it in a public build "soon" (weeks?).
11:32 PM Jul 22nd via web

Our first 11.0 alphas are probably coming in some weeks?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
How does Opera handle Mouse Button 4 and Mouse Button 5? I'd like a browser that doesn't have them hardcoded to Back/Forward.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

I thought you were joking but you're right.

http://twitter.com/opvard/

It's a Nordic (Norwegian) company. Long vacations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/10-61-release-candidate-rc1

Nothing excites me too much but I'm happy to see this one gone finally.

quote:

CORE-31141 (Opera treats binary files as plain text (opening it in the browser instead of showing download dialog))

There's a lot of linux stuff if you're into that sort of thing too.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

How does Opera handle Mouse Button 4 and Mouse Button 5? I'd like a browser that doesn't have them hardcoded to Back/Forward.

It's your mouse software that's doing that, I expect. That's the case with both Microsoft and Logitech's mouse software, you can configure the extra buttons to do whatever you want.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Couple new 10.70 snapshots out

[edit] And another:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/05/yet-another-10-70-snapshot-coming-right-up

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 5, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/09/new-10-70-snapshot-with-more-presto-updates

This isn't even on desktopteam's main blog page yet but subscribing to haarvard's twitter seems to have gotten me the link a few minutes early.

Anyway, it's a bunch of rendering improvements that don't mean a whole lot to me but hopefully are important. This is interesting though:
* CORE-24184 (Persistent Storage implementation for User JavaScript)
wasn't that the main bit that prevented an Opera implementation of SALR (before the forums incorporated the last-read thing natively).

Also
* CORE-30488 (Clean up Application Cache better when closing window)

Maybe this improves the "churn in the background after you quit" time again. I hope.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New release, 10.61

changelog

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Their site is running terrible for me. Also, the "google calendar compatibility" is bs.

http://i.imgur.com/1E7ae.png

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

feld posted:

Their site is running terrible for me. Also, the "google calendar compatibility" is bs.

http://i.imgur.com/1E7ae.png

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress is up with Google Calendar in the 10.6x releases, but it's fixed in the newest 10.70 build.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The calendar is working fine for me. Win7, x64, Opera 10.61.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I feel left out now that I've come back to Opera as my main browser and we don't haven SALR implementation. Anyone know if it's in the works since we have storage backends and whatnot available now?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

feld posted:

I feel left out now that I've come back to Opera as my main browser and we don't haven SALR implementation. Anyone know if it's in the works since we have storage backends and whatnot available now?

What exactly do you want from such a thing? The forums themselves take care of the majority of the lifting, though somebody (biznatchio?) released a userjs that changes the UI to look like the old Opera SALR did. It's probably somewhere in this thread even.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

What exactly do you want from such a thing? The forums themselves take care of the majority of the lifting, though somebody (biznatchio?) released a userjs that changes the UI to look like the old Opera SALR did. It's probably somewhere in this thread even.

This highlight script is available here:
http://www.gamesplusone.com/saforums-operahighlight.js
It was written by Moho, or whatever the gently caress name he's using now. I think maybe he got permad. Anyway, don't think I wrote it.

It colors your posts green, posts that quote yours orange, and posts that are by the OP in pink. It also colors threads in the thread listing depending on if they have new posts to view. As far as I remember, that's all it does.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The last version (or a previous one) apparently broke the RSS feed rendering for me, for example stuff like
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?tags=opera
used to display thumbnails and descriptions, now all it displays is title, author and published date.

Just wondering if that's a problem of my local install or a general new bug.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just wondering if that's a problem of my local install or a general new bug.

Happens for me too.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Does logging into GameFly.com (or just accessing the site while logged in) cause 10.61 to crash for them?

:wtc:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/19/content-blocker-synchronization-and-nix-fixes

Content blocker lists sync now.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I figured out my crash issue by making a new profile from scratch and then copying files over until Opera barfed. The culprit? urlfilter.ini.

It wasn't just the file either, it was a specific entry in the file.

I had http://*.doubleclick.net/* listed under the exclude section, the instant http://www.gamefly.com/ps3/ or certain other pages loaded, Opera crashed instantly.

(edit: I submitted this bug to Opera, just following up on my 'wtf crash??' post earlier)

gibbed fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New 10.70 build

And I predict a new 10.6-branch build in the near future: http://secunia.com/advisories/41083/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Wheany posted:

New 10.70 build

And I predict a new 10.6-branch build in the near future: http://secunia.com/advisories/41083/

DSK-217065 (Tooltip appears in front of another applications)

Yay for that one being gone. It sure stuck around long enough.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is bitly crashing for updated Opera users on Mac?

(10.61 still has not fixed the QuickTime controls bug so I am still stuck on 9.64. How can Opera release software for the Mac that does not play well with QuickTime?)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair the QuickTime bug may actually be an issue on QT's end. Opera can only do so much to fix buggy third-party software.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Tesseraction posted:

To be fair the QuickTime bug may actually be an issue on QT's end. Opera can only do so much to fix buggy third-party software.

While this may well be true (God knows, Apple hides its bugs and won't open its specs), The QuickTIme controls worked in everything previous to the 10.0 line of Opera, and works in every other browser.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kapalama posted:

While this may well be true (God knows, Apple hides its bugs and won't open its specs), The QuickTIme controls worked in everything previous to the 10.0 line of Opera, and works in every other browser.

Without meaning to be a dick, every other browser? Or just the common popular browsers for which a lot of popular web software will have kludges in place to prevent errors with? Opera is the browser that often doesn't have specific workarounds in some software/sites because it doesn't feel the love. :(

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Without meaning to be a dick, every other browser? Or just the common popular browsers for which a lot of popular web software will have kludges in place to prevent errors with? Opera is the browser that often doesn't have specific workarounds in some software/sites because it doesn't feel the love. :(

I have tried it in Safari, Firefox, IE (!), iCab, Camino. Opera is the only one of those that breaks it.

It's not like I am trying to use vp6 video with Ogg sound. Just trying to interact with QuickTime controls on a Mac.

Opera used allow proper functioning of the QuickTIme controls; it broke with 10.0. Nothing changed in quicktime, something changed in Opera. Like I said, I am still using Opera 9.64 because it still works there.

But now with Bitly crashing Opera 9.64, I am stuck. I need QuickTime controls so I cannot update until Opera fixes the QuickTime controls. I need Bitly to not crash my browser, so I have to update. I have moved a lot of work stuff to other browsers, so when Opera crashes, I don't lose work.

On the other hand if Bit.ly is crashing 10.61, then I will just have to move bitly over to firefox as well. Love for Opera is trumped by need to get stuff done.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kapalama posted:

I have tried it in Safari, Firefox, IE (!), iCab, Camino. Opera is the only one of those that breaks it.

It's not like I am trying to use vp6 video with Ogg sound. Just trying to interact with QuickTime controls on a Mac.

Opera used allow proper functioning of the QuickTIme controls; it broke with 10.0. Nothing changed in quicktime, something changed in Opera. Like I said, I am still using Opera 9.64 because it still works there.

But now with Bitly crashing Opera 9.64, I am stuck. I need QuickTime controls so I cannot update until Opera fixes the QuickTime controls. I need Bitly to not crash my browser, so I have to update. I have moved a lot of work stuff to other browsers, so when Opera crashes, I don't lose work.

On the other hand if Bit.ly is crashing 10.61, then I will just have to move bitly over to firefox as well. Love for Opera is trumped by need to get stuff done.

Are you sure it's not something broken with your computer? Can you describe more completely how to crash Opera using bit.ly so others can try to reproduce it? Judging by how broken it sounds, I bet something in your Opera config or other software (OS, quicktime, Qt...) is borked, not Opera itself.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ColdPie posted:

Are you sure it's not something broken with your computer? Can you describe more completely how to crash Opera using bit.ly so others can try to reproduce it? Judging by how broken it sounds, I bet something in your Opera config or other software (OS, quicktime, Qt...) is borked, not Opera itself.

No, it's Opera. I can't remember the last time QT controls worked. I've gone through reformats, reinstalls, upgrades on both Windows and Ubuntu, and QT controls just don't show up.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

ColdPie posted:

The Bitly is rather random, and only started happening in the last few days.
...Goes off to check...
And of course, today it seems to be working fine. Because computers suck, I guess.

I don't expect Opera to fix a bug in 9.64 anyway. I just cannot move to the current release of Opera until they make the QuickTimes controls work, because I need to interact with them. Now that it has been a year since they released Opera 10.0, though, the fact that QuickTime controls have [i]never[/] worked in the 10.x series is kind of strange. I can see discontinuing work on the Mac browser, but I don't really understand continuing work on it and not fixing Quicktime.

Bugs are bugs but this looks like a choice, especially since QT controls apparently do not work on Linux or Windows (Don't use them, but Cosmopolitan's post says they do not work there, either so.)

(Avclub.com amd Foxnews.com pages wloading properly would be nice too, but they are broken on 9.64 anyway, so I have long since expected to not be able to look at them in Opera.)

The good thing (for me) is that Opera's bugs have made me commit to using other browsers, and I have learned how to interact with Firefox effectively. I don't imagine that is why the Opera team has not fixed these bugs though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I love Opera but it really drives me nuts that we still have all these little quirks and bugs while they waste time adding crap like WIDGETS.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Several years and opera versions ago I installed an addon that placed a button on one of the toolbars in opera. It is listed here as Killbutton: http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons
Unfortunately, this stopped working with the last several versions of opera. Does anyone know of something similar or how to update the one I linked to so that it works with the current version of opera?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's discouraging to see so many people complain about bugs. I'm switching from mainly using FF to mainly using Opera for a variety of reasons. Mostly, though, it's because I like browsing "fluidity". The "highlight, right click, search with" thing blew my goddamn mind.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Everything has bugs; we just talk about issues in case someone can help us out with them.

On that note, Opvard (a Q&A) told me that Windows 7 Jump Lists have been available since Opera 10.50, however I've never seen a single one (and personally lamented their lack even though I never use them). Anyone know why they aren't appearing? A glance through opera:config shows nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Yeah, if any of the bugs that affected me were that bothersome, I just wouldn't use it. I just save video files most of the time anyway.