Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

A Nice Boy posted:

Just wait till you get to Best Served Cold. There's a scene with a main character that will make you squirm.

It should have been you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The first image of the rough UK cover for The Heroes has been released. Still scheduled for release on the 11th of January.

I wonder just how terrible the US cover will be?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Another book? So soon? Will this mad man never stop?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

The first image of the rough UK cover for The Heroes has been released. Still scheduled for release on the 11th of January.

I order my books from bookdepository, so I always get the nice UK covers anyways.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

Another book? So soon? Will this mad man never stop?

I pray not. Those fuckers GRRM and Rothfuss should takes notes.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

John Charity Spring posted:

The versions I've purchased at Barnes and Noble are all the dope UK covers. Also, they've stopped selling the lovely versions of the US Malazan books, and are selling the insanely awesome UK ones. Same with Prince of Nothing. I'm thinking that they're finally starting to get a clue.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Went through the Trilogy and BSC again these last few weeks and I'm ready for more books with Logan , Glockta and Bayaz!

I know that The Heroes is a standalone book so it probably won't have much on the wider picture in it but I'm incredibly hyped either way.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Kellanved posted:

Went through the Trilogy and BSC again these last few weeks and I'm ready for more books with Logan , Glockta and Bayaz!

I know that The Heroes is a standalone book so it probably won't have much on the wider picture in it but I'm incredibly hyped either way.

Apparently it's going to have way more returning characters than BSC did.

Black Dow, Shivers, Dogman, Kroy, more that I'm not thinking of...Plenty from the first trilogy. He basically said that the entire book takes place over four days in the north, one dicisive, ongoing battle that has tons of union and northmen.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Apparently it's going to have way more returning characters than BSC did.

Black Dow, Shivers, Dogman, Kroy, more that I'm not thinking of...Plenty from the first trilogy. He basically said that the entire book takes place over four days in the north, one dicisive, ongoing battle that has tons of union and northmen.

Wait, who's Kroy?

Anyways I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Logen to show up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

If he shows up at all, I'm betting it's nothing more than a cameo at the very end, just enough to let us know that Logen is still alive.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Wait, who's Kroy?

One of the rival generals under Lord Marshal Burr. In LAoK he is promoted to Lord Marshal after both Burr and West die.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Ornamented Death posted:

If he shows up at all, I'm betting it's nothing more than a cameo at the very end, just enough to let us know that Logen is still alive.

Yeah, I got the imression from his last few lines of internal dialogue and such that he was pretty much saying "gently caress you" to the north and everything else. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if he went to find Ferro to help her gently caress poo poo up...the crap that happened after they parted seemed to harden him some.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

One of the rival generals under Lord Marshal Burr. In LAoK he is promoted to Lord Marshal after both Burr and West die.

Oh yeah, he was the really uptight infantry general right? Poulder or something was the other cavalry commander.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Mr.48 posted:

Oh yeah, he was the really uptight infantry general right? Poulder or something was the other cavalry commander.

Yeah... The two competed with each other and hated the poo poo out of each other until one of them died, which I thought was a nice touch.

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid
I finished the trilogy, and I'm almost done with BSC. Last Argument of Kings ruined my week; never has so much wrist-slitting despair and frustration been seen outside a history book.

The thing is, the only one I really feel bad about is poor Malacus. He died like a bitch in the first book, and what I thought was him developing into an interesting character was actually just an impostor. An important and very awesome impostor, but still. :smith: At least things weren't quite so bad for Glotka and Ardee. I mean, they were dickish and psychotic, but I was just so glad that at least someone didn't end up having every single thing blow up in their face at the end. Besides, who in the book wasn't dickish and psychotic?

Also, the only character I despise more than Bayaz is motherfucking Yoru Sulfur. :argh:

edit: whoopsie.

sarsbar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 25, 2010

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

sarsbar posted:

I finished the trilogy, and I'm almost done with BSC. Last Argument of Kings ruined my week; never has so much wrist-slitting despair and frustration been seen outside a history book.

The thing is, the only one I really feel bad about is poor Malacus. He died like a bitch in the first book, and what I thought was him developing into an interesting character was actually just an impostor. An important and very awesome impostor, but still. :smith: At least things weren't quite so bad for Glotka and Ardee. I mean, they were dickish and psychotic, but I was just so glad that at least someone didn't end up having every single thing blow up in their face at the end. Besides, who in the book wasn't dickish and psychotic?

Also, the only character I despise more than Bayaz is motherfucking Yoru Sulfur. :argh:

Despising that first character is actually a pretty huge spoiler, when you think about it, for people just starting the series.

But yeah...The ending is pretty rough. I like his stuff, but if his NEXT four books are nothing but awesome but also holy poo poo I want to kill myself, I'm not sure how much I can stick with. ;p

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid
I read the last 100 or so pages of BSC last night, and it's probably okay to smile again, because Monza pretty much told Yoru to gently caress himself. Maybe she'll end up dying of Bayaz's magical cancer anyway, but I'll enjoy her refusal to get tangled up with Valint and Balk while I can.

And I totally didn't see it coming when Shenkt turned out to be the guy who saved her life in the beginning. I can't wait for The Heroes!

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I just finished Best Served Cold and I have to say I found it somewhat disappointing. It shares a lot of the same strengths with the trilogy, but it's main flaw is that it's just way too drat long. The themes and the character development get stretched really, really thin because the narrative structure is so huge. I found myself just skipping through fight scenes I got so bored of them.

I'm hoping The Warriors is an improvement as a standalone. His short story about Northerners in that recent anthology was pretty good, so it gives me hope.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, I thought Best Served Cold was a bit... stretched.

Felt like he was repeating himself in places, and there were just too many loving fights that spanned pages and pages.

Still good, don't get me wrong, but only the first few hundred and last fifty pages were as good as I'd come to expect.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Most other fantasy authors would have added endless descriptions of every mundane item and totally overdone Valint and Balk vs. the Prophet to stretch it into a trilogy.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Coming from reading Martin's ASOIAF it's nice to see the the role of direct magic in a fantasy setting. Finally we have Dresden level magic practitioners who are completely over powered it's almost unfair. I'm wrapping up the first book in TFL series. If it wasn't for the spoilers in this thread I wouldn't think Logen as such a bad rear end. You'd think 3 guys in an alley wouldn't seem like such a big deal for this Conan-esque barbarian.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You'd think 3 guys in an alley wouldn't seem like such a big deal for this Conan-esque barbarian.

You've got to be realistic. All it takes is a split second to slip up and take a knife in the kidneys.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You'd think 3 guys in an alley wouldn't seem like such a big deal for this Conan-esque barbarian.

If I remember right, he did think about throwing the money at the bum's eyes and stabbing him while he was distracted.

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Yeah, I thought Best Served Cold was a bit... stretched.

Felt like he was repeating himself in places, and there were just too many loving fights that spanned pages and pages.

Still good, don't get me wrong, but only the first few hundred and last fifty pages were as good as I'd come to expect.

It didn't seem so bad to me since he's so good at describing the fight scenes. They weren't slowed down by poor wording, they were easy for me to follow, and they were graphic--I could actually tell what was going on. That's a big accomplishment, if I'm to compare him to what few fantasy authors I've read (not that they were any good themselves, but still). Those fight scenes definitely aren't the part that I'd want to skip.

I just hope that Joe Abercrombie doesn't get lazy/bored as an author, and that he never jumps the shark... or at least that he does it after I stop caring.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I wish Abercrombie would write a book about the early years of Logen Ninefingers. I was thinking how that would never sell because of how dark and bloody it would be but then I realized, his current books aren't exactly a ray of sunshine.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I wish Abercrombie would write a book about the early years of Logen Ninefingers. I was thinking how that would never sell because of how dark and bloody it would be but then I realized, his current books aren't exactly a ray of sunshine.

I'll say this again, but I don't want to know any more about Logen. I liked how he showed us two very different sides of his past, leading us to sympathize with one and drat him for the other. Some characters are better left as they are.

Like Cosca, he didn't need to show up in BSC. I still liked him, but I thought he was a better character in the trilogy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I agree, no more Logen. Or at least no 'prequel' for Logen.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
I agree. Logen's character arc (or character prairie, I guess) was completed. But since he and Ferro are both still alive, I could go for a story about their odd relationship.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
After many long months of BSC sitting on my bookshelf, I finally got down to the business of actually reading it.

Bloody hell.

While Shivers' downfall seemed pretty inevitable from the start, I was surprised at how much my opinion of Monza shifted back and forth over the course of the novel. Despite the fuckups and poor decisions that felt pretty alienating as a reader, she ended up getting a sort of tragic sympathy from me.

I was more surprised to find that my favorite characters ended up being Cosca and Friendly, two people that did not generate much interest in me when they were first introduced. I was thrilled when they came through alive.

And NEVER have I seen a character I wanted to strangle as much as arrogant loving Morveer.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Crooked Warden posted:

And NEVER have I seen a character I wanted to strangle as much as arrogant loving Morveer.
I think Morveer was :spergin:. Totally fits the bill. Hell, when you throw in Friendly you've got the whole autistic spectrum represented.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Friendly was really more OCD.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I really liked Morveer. The way his background gets darker and darker. Probably foolish of me but until the completely idiotic betrayal he and his apprentice were some of my favorite characters.

Seriously duder, you go to all this trouble to train an apprentice, someone to carry on your legacy, then you gently caress it all up. I don't know, it just seems like even if you are a master poisoner you should trust someone sometime at some point. Just be like "I'm teaching you all this, and I will never poison you." Or something, because it seems really dumb to go to all the trouble of training someone you don't trust even a little bit.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahah! BSC spoilers:

Even if (if) Morveer had been sane, his catchphrase was "Caution first. Always." I mean that was all of who he was, he couldn't trust. It sounds like your problem with him is that you're just much more honest and reasonable than he was, so you have difficulty relating.

If someone had said "I will never poison you" to Morveer he would have killed himself trying to avoid the places that person could have conceivable had access to. And he taught Day to think just like him, but evidently not quite as well.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I also think you're forgetting Monza's part in it...She's really good at manipulating and reading people, an excellent leader. She knew exactly how to plant seeds to make her start doubting Morveer.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm 3/5 of the way through the final book in The Blade Itself trilogy. I wanted to know if it's ever addressed exactly why Bayaz wanted NineFingers spared by Bethod? Is it solely because he can talk to spirits?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm 3/5 of the way through the final book in The Blade Itself trilogy. I wanted to know if it's ever addressed exactly why Bayaz wanted NineFingers spared by Bethod? Is it solely because he can talk to spirits?

Yes. He thought he needed someone who could talk to spirits to get The Seed.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
If you go look at Joe's blog you'll find he's been doing a bunch of character introductions over then last few weeks for The Heroes, lots of good information and possibly some spoilers as well. Interesting to see that Bremer dan Gorst is back, and that Joe has thought of the effects that events in Best Served Cold might have on King Luthar's body guard. He didn't have a great deal of character in the first books but I'm interested to see where he goes with him.

Also there is an extract from the book over here.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 19, 2010

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jekub posted:

If you go look at Joe's blog you'll find he's been doing a bunch of character introductions other then last few weeks for The Heroes, lots of good information and possibly some spoilers as well. Interesting to see that Bremer dan Gorst is back, and that Joe has thought of the effects that events in Best Served Cold might have on King Luthar's body guard. He didn't have a great deal of character in the first books but I'm interested to see where he goes with him.

Also there is an extract from the book over here.

from the blog:

quote:

We’ve also had a side-order of Beck, a more minor point-of-view character on the Northern side - a young lad obsessed with tales of heroism, and desperate for the chance to fight and win himself a name on the battlefield, and a high place in the songs. Just like his father, Shama Heartless, a famous champion killed in a duel with the Bloody-Nine. Knowing how my stuff goes, I’m sure that will all turn out exactly as planned.

:D

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
From Joe's blog:

"Secondly, Calder has a tough, strong, honest, loyal older brother with a pea for a brain before him in line."

I don't know if Honest and Loyal are good words to describe Scale given what we saw in The First Law books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr.48 posted:

From Joe's blog:

"Secondly, Calder has a tough, strong, honest, loyal older brother with a pea for a brain before him in line."

I don't know if Honest and Loyal are good words to describe Scale given what we saw in The First Law books.

From Calder's perspective he might be.