Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I hope the raid was a psychological thing and they're not planning to make it look like some horrible LARP battle with lead pipes and pepper spray for the whole season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I think that's the shows ticket to being interesting and cool, if they focus on a different disaster each season. Terminators, Zombies, I Am Legend, loving go for it. Why does the apocalypse always have to be a mutant virus that just kills people?

This. I get that they're trying to go with a somewhat realistic scenario but if there's a third season there's no reason not to mix it up. I mean hell, I've seen people crack Fallout jokes when talking about The Colony and that was set after a nuclear war. Watching how you'd live off irradiated land would be interesting, though I'm not sure how they'd implement it for the show. Maybe mark certain sources of food/water as unsafe for human consumption unless the survivors did something to "purify" it?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

iastudent posted:

This. I get that they're trying to go with a somewhat realistic scenario but if there's a third season there's no reason not to mix it up. I mean hell, I've seen people crack Fallout jokes when talking about The Colony and that was set after a nuclear war. Watching how you'd live off irradiated land would be interesting, though I'm not sure how they'd implement it for the show.

Yeah I understand that, a nuclear holocaust would be a good direction for a third season if they don't gently caress this up with the shove fights.

iastudent posted:

Maybe mark certain sources of food/water as unsafe for human consumption unless the survivors did something to "purify" it?

Filter out the glow in the dark dye.

EDIT: Oh man, the I am Legend angle. Constant rock barrage on their shelters at night and "vampires" pulling their barricades apart while they try to sleep.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 29, 2010

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
No comparison between this season and last.

These people are a bunch of goobs that should be clowned each and every episode if the producers don't hand them everything on a platter. Jesus, last season, they had a genuwine loving rocket scientist, a doctor, a mechanical genius, a nurse (IIRC), etc... This year, a loving MODEL!?! Really!?!

This year's crew have no conception of security other than swingin' pipes and throwin' hands. They honestly didn't expect the guy they roughed up to come back with friends? And made absolutely zero effort to secure a drat thing? The whole "barricade the door" thing doesn't make a lot of sense when every goddamn window is blown out, does it?

Last year they had loving flamethrowers, man. Plus barbed wire, snares, and a defensible position, other than the one Achilles heel in the back. Granted, that took time to create, but these new guys seem to have no creativity at all. I'll be impressed if they get a battery bank going; can't imagine these yo-yos creating a solar charger with a photocell-driven automatic motorized sun-following contraption. Or a radio transmitter. Or a solar-heated shower that isn't a trash bag with a hole in it.

I hope the end goal isn't to get out of the colony, 'cause if there isn't a Suburban gassed up and waiting, it ain't happening.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

The_Raven posted:

I'll be impressed if they get a battery bank going; can't imagine these yo-yos creating a solar charger with a photocell-driven automatic motorized sun-following contraption. Or a radio transmitter. Or a solar-heated shower that isn't a trash bag with a hole in it.

Don't worry, it looks like they're going to make soap out of rancid pig fat...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That's stupid. Why wouldn't they just join the raiders? Obviously, they have a more successful thing going on.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

That's stupid. Why wouldn't they just join the raiders? Obviously, they have a more successful thing going on.

"Hey, let me join you! I'm a world-class napper!"
"Hey, I want to join too. I'm a model!"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tachykinin posted:

"Hey, I want to join too. I'm a model!"

The model would have at least been kidnapped and added to the gang leader's harem.

Think about it though. If there's such an overwhelmingly large group of raiders, they have to have some sort of raider base. Additionally, there has to be hundreds of other colonists elsewhere - the predator/prey relationship dictates this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tachykinin posted:

The worst part about that guy is that he looks a lot like Adam from Mythbusters, so I found him annoying and douchey right out of the gate, then he went and proved it.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

IRQ posted:

The worst part about that guy is that he looks a lot like Adam from Mythbusters, so I found him annoying and douchey right out of the gate, then he went and proved it.

At least Adam can occasionally make something useful. This guy is an artist/inventor. Which scares me. It makes me thing about the nurse from last season whose greatest accomplishment was making a dress.

"Look everyone, I made a non-functioning, but decorative windmill!"

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I wouldn't have a problem with fights if they rehearsed them. They're obviously staged, but if you have an unrehearsed fight that has no fight choreographer, it's going to be either incredibly dangerous or really boring looking. This is really boring looking.

The Colony would be way better if they cut out raiders altogether and have the most contact with other humans be that Russian arms dealer caravan from the first season. Everything else should be technicians building awesome poo poo from scavenging.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

The_Raven posted:

No comparison between this season and last.

These people are a bunch of goobs that should be clowned each and every episode if the producers don't hand them everything on a platter. Jesus, last season, they had a genuwine loving rocket scientist, a doctor, a mechanical genius, a nurse (IIRC), etc... This year, a loving MODEL!?! Really!?!

Yeah, last season they had way more talent. I think with this season they are trying to use more of the "average Joe".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Speaking of Average Joe's, I would be all for an Incompetent Survival show where they just dump a guy with no experience or knowledge into a Bear Grylls type situation.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking of Average Joe's, I would be all for an Incompetent Survival show where they just dump a guy with no experience or knowledge into a Bear Grylls type situation.

Except it would last one night, the person would be complaining the whole time and wouldn't go anywhere (and would be begging the crew for food within hours).

edit: Though Mantracker has certain elements of the Incompetent Survival show if you've never seen it.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I haven't seen the Colony yet (this or the other season), but is their goal to go for "realism"? Or I don't know if realism is the right word. But to me, it would seem less realistic if there were a bunch of rocket scientists, engineers, and technicians and the like all roaming around building amazing things. Sure it would make for cool TV, but not all of us are engineers that can build cool poo poo. Well maybe a lot of goons are, I don't know, but in general most people aren't. Maybe the goal is to put a bunch of helpless people out there and watch them struggle to survive. Again, I haven't seen the show yet, so I don't know.

I plan on watching it, but I'm more of a sucker for nature survival type shows. I don't care if they're bad, I watch the hell out of them. I really like Dual Survival for some reason, although I don't need to be reminded every episode that Cody hasn't worn shoes for the last 20 years. I'd hang out with that hippie bastard though. That part last episode where he routinely made fire out of sticks in real time was neat. I've tried it before, and I'm terrible at it, so I was impressed. Actually they could have taken a couple hours just to get that shot for all I know... but ehhh v:shobon:v

I don't know about Man Woman Wild, but I'm still going to keep watching it anyways.

Tachykinin posted:

edit: Though Mantracker has certain elements of the Incompetent Survival show if you've never seen it.
Mantracker owns. I don't like when he loses, especially to the really cocky ones. :(

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Krackleburt posted:

I don't know about Man Woman Wild, but I'm still going to keep watching it anyways.

Man Woman Wild is hilarious because of that incredibly fake deep voice the guy always talks in.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

Krackleburt posted:

Mantracker owns. I don't like when he loses, especially to the really cocky ones. :(

Yeah, it always makes me a little bit sad when he loses. But that's also how you know it's a Canadian show. If it were an American show Mantracker would never lose (or we'd never see those episodes).

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with fights if they rehearsed them. They're obviously staged, but if you have an unrehearsed fight that has no fight choreographer, it's going to be either incredibly dangerous or really boring looking. This is really boring looking.

The Colony would be way better if they cut out raiders altogether and have the most contact with other humans be that Russian arms dealer caravan from the first season. Everything else should be technicians building awesome poo poo from scavenging.

Yeah this. The big selling point to this show is realism. Now, we all know that they're sleeping in hotels every night, but there's good direction, and they can sell it with the exception of the fake fights.

Action-movie choreography isn't really an option, so if they cut out the raider angle and focused on the challenges of the environment, it would improve the show overall.

(spoilers for next episode: the carpenter is the only one to do anything useful; everybody complains about the artist/inventor being lazy and incompetent)

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

AuMaestro posted:

Yeah this. The big selling point to this show is realism. Now, we all know that they're sleeping in hotels every night, but there's good direction, and they can sell it with the exception of the fake fights.

Action-movie choreography isn't really an option, so if they cut out the raider angle and focused on the challenges of the environment, it would improve the show overall.

(spoilers for next episode: the carpenter is the only one to do anything useful; everybody complains about the artist/inventor being lazy and incompetent)

Religious guy does a complete 180 in behaviour in the space of a few minutes.

"Let's give them food! Come on, let's give them food!" ----> Flying tackle.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

For season 3, they should go all-out with the incompetence and craziness. Do the casting like in The Real World, and get a bunch of socialites and screwballs who have no chance whatsoever of functioning in a frat house, much less a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

But what I'd really like to see is something with some actual realism to it. A smaller network (like G4 before it got exceptionally lame) could put some people together and just set them loose unless a serious medical problem comes up.

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009

AuMaestro posted:

For season 3, they should go all-out with the incompetence and craziness. Do the casting like in The Real World, and get a bunch of socialites and screwballs who have no chance whatsoever of functioning in a frat house, much less a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

But what I'd really like to see is something with some actual realism to it. A smaller network (like G4 before it got exceptionally lame) could put some people together and just set them loose unless a serious medical problem comes up.

This would be awesome Lord of the Flies stuff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AuMaestro posted:

This should be the Jersey Shore season 3.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tachykinin posted:

Religious guy does a complete 180 in behaviour in the space of a few minutes.

"Let's give them food! Come on, let's give them food!" ----> Flying tackle.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

"YOU'RE DEAD!"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Maybe paintball guns as real guns or something could've worked.

There's always Simunitions.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

There's always Simunitions.

Hook that up to an remote-controlled turret, and charge people on the internet for the chance to shoot the artist/inventor guy, and the show won't even need commercials anymore to be profitable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

AuMaestro posted:

Hook that up to an remote-controlled turret, and charge people on the internet for the chance to shoot the artist/inventor guy, and the show won't even need commercials anymore to be profitable.

Like the shoot the banker page? That was fun.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

BonoMan posted:

This should be the Jersey Shore season 3. (About the Colony)

My opinion here, and I do not think less of anyone for liking this show at all, to each their own. But I really want this show off of Discovery Channel, it just doesn't belong.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Celebrity The Colony! Take stars from other Discovery Channel shows and make them survive. Hell, make two teams and do lame rear end competitions for getting supplies or something, I dunno.

Each team should have at least 1 deckhand from a crab boat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to see Michio Kaku and Neil Tyson going head-to-head. Maybe have them each fight it to the death with an ancient astronauts theorist or ghost hunter.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

I'd like to see a show with two colonies running in parallel: one has plenty of supplies and infrastructure but is full of dumbasses, and the other doesn't have much of anything but has survival people and mechanics as the survivors.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I was coming to post this exact sentiment.

When this show was first announced I kind of hoped it would be like Rough Science but with a survivalist flavor. The stupid reality show twist with the raiders just makes it unwatchable...

Trotsky1940
Sep 18, 2006

Tachykinin posted:

Yeah, it always makes me a little bit sad when he loses. But that's also how you know it's a Canadian show. If it were an American show Mantracker would never lose (or we'd never see those episodes).

But when he does win against the super cocky ones, that makes my day. Especially the ones with minimal outdoors experience.

RichLather
Mar 5, 2003

Just your average Civil War reenacting, video editing, anime watching, badfilm loving goon.
Just thought I'd nip in here and ask a quick question as my searches have proved fruitless...and Dr. Mrs. Lather would be quite impressed if I could provide the answer.

Where can I find a listing of the musical artists featured in this season's (season 4) episodes of After the Catch?

Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes was one, but that's all I've been able to find thus far. It was a solo artist in particular that she's interested in learning more about.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If anyone else hasn't heard, we're getting a new season of Pitchmen next month.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

RichLather posted:

Just thought I'd nip in here and ask a quick question as my searches have proved fruitless...and Dr. Mrs. Lather would be quite impressed if I could provide the answer.

Where can I find a listing of the musical artists featured in this season's (season 4) episodes of After the Catch?

Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes was one, but that's all I've been able to find thus far. It was a solo artist in particular that she's interested in learning more about.

I know on the first episode it was a guy named Kermit Ruffins, I can't find anything on the web about who played though.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
http://gizmodo.com/5600941/have-no-fear-mythbusters-renewed-for-seven-more-years

Apparently at Comic-Con, Jamie and Adam announced that they had renewed their contracts with Discovery for 7 more years.

What the hell are they going to have left to test come 2013, let alone 2017?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kwik posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5600941/have-no-fear-mythbusters-renewed-for-seven-more-years

Apparently at Comic-Con, Jamie and Adam announced that they had renewed their contracts with Discovery for 7 more years.

What the hell are they going to have left to test come 2013, let alone 2017?

Contract with Discovery, not necessarily contract for 7 more SEASONS though right? Maybe they'll eventually get stuck to doing specials every once and a while. There is no way this show has 7 seasons left, unless they keep trying to do every test that has every completely failed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

As long as people keep uploading things to YouTube, they will have things to test.

iastudent posted:

If anyone else hasn't heard, we're getting a new season of Pitchmen next month.

But the only interesting part of the show is dead?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Contract with Discovery, not necessarily contract for 7 more SEASONS though right?
Yeah, I would just assume it means that Discovery wants to keep them locked up for themselves. OTOH, not sure who else would be interested, except maybe the UK networks or National Geographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

FogHelmut posted:

As long as people keep uploading things to YouTube, they will have things to test.

And as long as they write word problems for physics tests that involve guns.

• Locked thread