Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...icle544295.html

I know this isn't the greatest source, but there's extra confirmation that there are at least 2 other bids for Liverpool. One is from the Al Kharafi family of Kuwait and the other is an offer to buy 25% of the club for £100million from the Rhone Group, a US private equity firm.

It's too bad that Indian billionaire isn't linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crazy Ted posted:

I think their chairman bankrolled a spending spree for one year when they were still in the Championship in the hopes that they'd earn promotion, they did, and somehow they've stuck in the Premier League since.

I honestly don't know how they're still in top-flight football either.

Wigan have been a yo-yo team for a while, they've only had what, 2-3 seasons in the PL? I can see them going down this year. Celtic would also be hosed if they ended up in the EPL. They might have the earning but the spending required to get a decent squad that could compete would cripple them.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
So G+H have wheeled Keith Harris out on SSN for a bit of PR, "Price is too low", "It's worth well more than 325million now that there is a new manager", "the previous manager spent liberally and just failed to build a good squad" etc etc

Sitting in front of a manc top going on about United.

oval office.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Wait, what's that about a Manc top?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

In Liverpool FC ownership news, Huang says he has not made an official bid yet.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/huang-denies-formal-reds-bid-467998.html

quote:

However, in a statement released to The Sport Briefing by Huang’s representatives, the QSL chief has stated that reports of an official bid are premature.

The statement read: “In response to widespread media reports that Kenny Huang had made a formal bid for Liverpool Football Club, Mr Huang would like to emphasise that he has registered interest in investing in Liverpool FC but has made no formal bid.

“There has been much speculation and commentary from a wide array of people, many of whom have little knowledge of the facts.

“Unless there is a statement that specifically comes from Mr Huang or his authorised representatives, which presently is solely Hill & Knowlton Hong Kong office, we would suggest such comments should be given little credence.

“At this point in time there is nothing further for Mr Huang to announce. If there comes a time where this changes, we will make the appropriate announcements.”

Now the Yahya Kirdi is making more noise...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/04/yahya-kirdi-liverpool-kenneth-huang

quote:

A statement released overnight said: "Yahya Kirdi, who represents a select group of investors from the Middle East and Canada, confirmed today that his group is in advanced negotiations with Thomas Hicks and George Gillett, co-owners of Liverpool football club, to purchase 100% of the club.

"Agreement has been reached on all major terms including the purchase price, repayment of the existing bank debt … and financing of a new stadium in Liverpool's Stanley Park. A formal purchase agreement between the parties is in the final stage of negotiation."

I'm not too psyched about Kirdi because he seems too connected with Gillett and his previous attempt was a lot of smoke and mirrors. At the same time, the present situation with Liverpool is unsustainable and it was probably too sunny to hope that Hicks and Gillett could just get pushed out without any profit whatsoever.

Some guy named Keith Harris, who is supposedly a rather big deal, says other interested parties are circling around too.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gSPozxBnq6Bk1cCXv1m6xy4nq8dA

quote:

Keith Harris, head of investment bank Seymour Pierce, told Sky Sports News there are still other interested parties looking at the club.

"All I am prepared to say is we've looked at it very carefully on behalf of would-be buyers, who we know are very serious, we know are cash-rich, we know have the right incentive to do it, the right motivation to do it, and are prepared to take a long-term view," Harris said.

"I can't say any more at the moment. We have represented a buyer in the past and that is an ongoing situation."

None of this means that Huang is out per se, but it does indicate that the bidding process is going to get fairly convoluted before everything is finalized.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
wish a steinbrenner would buy us

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You're just going to get some other lovely owner who doesn't have any real money. Portsmouth 2: Portsmouth harder.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Chuggo posted:

I reckon Derek Jeeter could fill the playmaker role nicely...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Chuggo posted:

Rafa Benitez gets fired and rehired 5 times over a 10 year period.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

TyChan posted:

Rafa Benitez gets fired and rehired 5 times over a 10 year period.

yes roy come in i'm glad you're here oh it's lunchtime i wonder what the wife gave me for lunch today

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Chuggo posted:

yes roy come in i'm glad you're here oh it's lunchtime i wonder what the wife gave me for lunch today

A calzone, surely?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

You're just going to get some other lovely owner who doesn't have any real money. Portsmouth 2: Portsmouth harder.

this, its going to be exactly this with the PL taking the front mans word that their shady backing really has bajillion pounds hanging about so it doesn't matter if they know who they are or not

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Mickolution posted:

A calzone, surely?

i cant think of any more steinbrenner quotes off the top of my head :I

at least if they did buy us and it all went to poo poo we'd be able to burst into a room and go "STEINBRENNER! he's drivin' me crazy! he's ruinin this team!"

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Chuggo posted:

i cant think of any more steinbrenner quotes off the top of my head :I

at least if they did buy us and it all went to poo poo we'd be able to burst into a room and go "STEBRENNER! he's drivin' me crazy! he's ruinin this team!"

Yeah, all I can think of is when George met Castro and he was just like Steinbrenner and when George left his car at the Stadium and when Steinbrenner came to tell his parents, he and Frank got into an argument over trades.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, all I can think of is when George met Castro and he was just like Steinbrenner and when George left his car at the Stadium and when Steinbrenner came to tell his parents, he and Frank got into an argument over trades.

ahaha i LOVE the castro bit

i tell you if i wasnt a fascist dictator i might have been in a bit of trouble that day

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

There'll be no real bid at all, H&G will stay on top of their mountain of debts, abandon all hope ye fans of Liverpool.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Chuggo posted:

ahaha i LOVE the castro bit

i tell you if i wasnt a fascist dictator i might have been in a bit of trouble that day

Have you seen the deleted scene with the real Steinbrenner in it? It's on one of the DVDs. He was a fan of it and wanted to get involved, but it just looked weird to see someone but Larry David play him for one episode only and is a little awkward, so they cut it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Premier clubs 'wanted to let Pompey go to the wall'

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis

Midnight- posted:

So G+H have wheeled Keith Harris out on SSN for a bit of PR, "Price is too low", "It's worth well more than 325million now that there is a new manager", "the previous manager spent liberally and just failed to build a good squad" etc etc

Sitting in front of a manc top going on about United.

oval office.

This Keith Harris bloke was appointed by Mike Ashley to find a buyer for Newcastle...in September 2008. I remember a couple of sketchy "consortium's" from South Africa, Nigeria and the Middle East supposedly being interested and "on the verge" of buying the club according to Harris but obviously nothing ever came of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-Football.html

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I imagine Huang's sttaement is just hanging on a technicality, and that the first round of 'bids' that Broughton was on about was actually just expressions of interest and detailed proposals. Rather than 'formal' bids.

Still think the Syrian stuff is a complete smokescreen and Harris is just a bellend. "Oh that price? No no, thats far too low, the people I'm representing would like to pay more!"

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Obviously the other clubs were just hoping for a bigger share of the TV money pot, but it is disgusting that Portsmouth are trying to pay their football cronies first so I do half want the tax man to win this.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Healbot posted:

There'll be no real bid at all, H&G will stay on top of their mountain of debts, abandon all hope ye fans of Liverpool.

:negative:

Midnight- posted:

I imagine Huang's sttaement is just hanging on a technicality, and that the first round of 'bids' that Broughton was on about was actually just expressions of interest and detailed proposals. Rather than 'formal' bids.

Still think the Syrian stuff is a complete smokescreen and Harris is just a bellend. "Oh that price? No no, thats far too low, the people I'm representing would like to pay more!"

It's frustrating because of the impossibility of a regular fan peering through all the bullshit to figure out if anything positive is actually going on.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

brapbrapbrap posted:

This Keith Harris bloke was appointed by Mike Ashley to find a buyer for Newcastle...in September 2008. I remember a couple of sketchy "consortium's" from South Africa, Nigeria and the Middle East supposedly being interested and "on the verge" of buying the club according to Harris but obviously nothing ever came of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-Football.html

Is Newcastle still up for sale or is Ashley happy to stick around now that they're back in the EPL and the management set-up seems more stable? St. James Park is a nice big stadium with good revenue and now that the club has EPL television revenue, it must be a more attractive proposition to hold onto, depending on Ashley's appetite for abuse from the fans.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2010

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

As I said the other day about this, gently caress them. I feel sorry for the fans, but the club dug their own hole.

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Mickolution posted:

As I said the other day about this, gently caress them. I feel sorry for the fans, but the club dug their own hole.

I don't know the extent of Portsmouth's financial shenanigans but I agree with this in principle. You incurred the debt - you pay it yourself.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Pompey were driven by greed and are now refusing to pay for public services so gently caress them.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Yeah. I imagine the tax man would win it and the fans will try and rebuild the club from the ground up. It really should be a lesson for other premiership clubs but I doubt they'll get anything out of it.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Akileese posted:

Yeah. I imagine the tax man would win it and the fans will try and rebuild the club from the ground up. It really should be a lesson for other premiership clubs but I doubt they'll get anything out of it.

This may well be precisely what happens:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8886009.stm

Pompey lose, then according to our own lawyer, we cease to exist. How much of this is hyperbole to win the club sympathy, its hard to say, but is certainly isn't happy reading.

And the really frustrating thing is, its impossible to say we don't deserve it. The clubs owners spent way beyond our means, and the fans didn't think to question where this money was coming from. Only when it became obvious that we were approaching collapse did we stop and think: "Hmmm, maybe a regional club with the smallest stadium in the league shouldn't be spending millions on England internationals".

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
It still doesn't feel quite right talking about anyone deserving this when 99.999% of the people affected had absolutely no say at all in this. Even if the majority of fans were vocally opposed to the way the club was being run it's not as if the owners would give a poo poo.

Tropicana
Oct 29, 2008
If Portsmouth was forced to dissolve before the start of the season would Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon or Charlton Athletic replace them or would the Championship have a 23 team season?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Tropicana posted:

If Portsmouth was forced to dissolve before the start of the season would Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon or Charlton Athletic replace them or would the Championship have a 23 team season?

As the season starts on Saturday, and pompey should be able to struggle on until then*, it would be too late to suddenly bump up a team to take our place.

*: although if anyone can find a way to spectacularly implode mere days before the season kicks off, then its pompey.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

China set to buy Liverpool
The Chinese Government is the mystery backer behind a bid for Liverpool Football Club, The Times can reveal.

China’s overseas investment arm China Investment Corporation (CIC), which already owns a stake in Canary Wharf, is funding the bid fronted by the sports tycoon Kenny Huang for one of Britain’s biggest sporting names.

The debt-laden club is expected to change hands this month and last night the Chinese appeared to be in pole position to win a three-way takeover battle. The other bidders are a wealthy Kuwaiti family and an American private equity group.

Liverpool’s lender, the Royal Bank of Scotland, forced the club’s unpopular American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to put it up for sale in April. A number of potential foreign buyers have been circling, but until now the role of the Communist Government was unknown.

The acquisition would be just a tiny piece of China’s vast global investment plan. CIC was created in 2007 to invest billions of dollars for the benefit of the State. The country has been able to stockpile nearly $2 trillion of foreign currency reserves because it exports many more billions of pounds of goods and services than it imports. CIC has $332 billion to spend abroad.

The fund already has stakes in natural resources and energy companies in Asia, the US and Africa as part of China’s long-term strategy of securing its energy supplies. Liverpool would be its first football club and a high-profile entry into British cultural life.
Neither CIC nor Mr Huang was available for comment last night, but insiders said that CIC would end up owning the majority of the club if the consortium’s planned bid — which values Liverpool at between £300 million and £350 million — is successful.

China is not the first foreign country to covet English Premier League teams. Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Sunderland are all in foreign hands.

Manchester City, which is owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a senior member of the Royal Family in Abu Dhabi, and Chelsea, owned by the Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, were bought as trophy assets. The owners have poured in money without seeking a profit.

It is believed that the Chinese would expect to make money by building a bigger stadium in Merseyside and developing the club’s Asian fan base.

Liverpool already has a sponsorship deal with the bank Standard Chartered, which focuses on Asia. Presenting the bank’s half-year results yesterday, Peter Sands, its chief executive, said that its sponsorship of Liverpool was the most cost-effective way of getting Standard Chartered’s name on to television screens across Asia.

The sale is being run by Barcap, Barclays’ investment banking arm, and Martin Broughton, chairman of British Airways, who was brought in as temporary chairman of the club in April.

Insiders said that it was a three-way contest between the Chinese, Rhône Capital, a private equity group, and the billionare al-Kharafi family of Kuwait.

Any buyer must be cleared by the Premier League, which has held talks with the bidders. The main test is financial and it is unlikely that a bid would be blocked from the cash-rich Chinese.

Mr Huang reiterated his interest in Liverpool through his PR firm Hill & Knowlton yesterday but said that he had yet to make a formal binding bid.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

If China buys Liverpool's debt, the jokes would be endless.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Huang set to give Hodgson £150m vote of confidence

Roy Hodgson will keep his job as Liverpool manager and be handed £150 million to spend on new players if the Chinese Government’s bid to buy the club proves successful.

As revealed in The Times today, Kenny Huang, the Hong Kong-based businessman, is fronting the bid by China Investment Corporation (CIC), the overseas investment arm of the Chinese Government. A formal offer has still to be lodged, but although there is interest from other parties, Huang — backed by the wealth of one of the fastest-growing economies in the world — is believed to be the front-runner to complete a purchase.

CIC is prepared to back Hodgson by bankrolling a number of high-profile signings and has made a commitment to build a new stadium.

Liverpool are also attracting interest from the Rhône Group, the New York-based fund management firm, and the al-Kharafi family from Kuwait. Yahya Kirdi, a Canadian-based businessman from Syria, claimed yesterday that he is close to finalising a deal, but it is understood that he is negotiating only with George Gillett Jr, the club’s co-owner, and has not been involved with RBS, which holds Liverpool’s £237 million debt, or Barclays Capital, the investment bank overseeing the sale.

After his appointment as the successor to Rafael Benítez in July, Hodgson said that the possibility of a takeover had been a factor in discussions before he signed a three-year contract and revealed that clauses had been inserted in the deal affording him financial protection in the event of new owners deciding to replace him as manager.

The Chinese, though, have no desire to dispose of the 62-year-old, who insists that the situation has not prevented him from going about his job in the right manner.

“I knew when I came to the club that a takeover may or may not come about, that it may come about quickly or it may take a lot of time,” Hodgson said. “But I was given assurances that I would be allowed to do the job in the right way and that’s certainly been the case since I’ve been here.”

Asked would it be easier for the club to plan ahead under new owners, he said: “That’s for sure. But I don’t want to go down the ownership route because I don’t know enough about it, apart from knowing that, at the moment, unfortunately the owners we have are very unpopular with the fans. They know it and that is why they are prepared to sell the club.”

Hodgson takes charge of Liverpool at Anfield for the first time tonight when his team take a 2-0 lead into the second leg of the Europa League third qualifying round tie with Rabotnicki, of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The manager is not willing to allow either himself or his players to hide behind the uncertainty surrounding the club, and insists that they must be masters of their own fortune.

Fernando Torres, who pledged his commitment to Liverpool yesterday, had recently called on the club to match his ambition by signing “four or five” top-class players, but Hodgson says that it is the responsibility of those already at the club to shape the future.

“As a player you have the chance to change things,” Hodgson said. “If you don’t think the team is doing as well as it should, as a player you can do something about it. If you are a big player, maybe you will. My attitude is that we want our big players because they are big players and they will help the team to win.

“Now if they are not playing well and not helping the team to win, I will be advising them to look into the mirror rather than look for excuses elsewhere and blame the owners for not having spent £500 million.

“I am just sceptical about comments where players are questioning the club’s ambition.”

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Silly season indeed!

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

w00bi posted:

I got stuck after the Red Army. What else is there?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

w00bi posted:

we will truly never wok alone

- the daily star

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Tropicana posted:

As it is now they've only got like 11 players on their first team so I don't have the first loving clue how they would even conceive of playing right now.

edit: this feels like the beginning of a disney sports film where the gk gets injured in the first half and then they pick out some random kid / dog from the crowd to sub in because they discover there's no rule about signing trialists / dogs during a stoppage in play and then they make it all the way to the cup final

partipo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 5, 2010

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Well, the kit is already red...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddy Picker
Jun 30, 2007

Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive.
I think they'd play a 23 team season, with the Saturday fixture nullified if it manages to get played due to the case dragging on or something. Personally I think this is a good thing; English football needs to sort itself out financially.

• Locked thread