Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Does anybody have experience with or know about the Hahn airpass/All America Airpass?

I'm looking into taking some flights within South America to save time/get back to Lima before I fly out and I've been checking up on airpasses and it looks like the Hahn pass is the best deal. However, you can't buy it if you live in North America :ohdear: but some people say you can just call a travel agent in the UK or somewhere else and claim you've already bought your international RT tickets and get it that way.

They were old posts and I was hoping that someone on here has actually done it or know more about them.

If it doesn't work out, I'll be flying in via LAN so I probably can use LAN's South American airpass but it seems like I can pierce together a bunch of flights via budget airlines for cheaper.

I'm mainly looking for flights from Bolivia to Paraguay then from Argentina to Lima. It'll be getting close to the rainy season when I'm in Bolivia so that's why I'm looking into flying to Asuncion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

MC Burpalot posted:

Do you like throngs of people? Do you like loud live music? Are you male and love women or are you a woman and love men? If you answered yes to any or all of these then Carnaval in Salvador is for you.
Cheers for the info, I was already sold on Carnivale, I just went to her for which city to be in.
However this has made me realise that on an Australian passport I'll need a visa to visit Brazil. It requires itinerary details (entry and exit) I'm not going to have until I'm over there. Has anyone here tried applying for Brazilian tourist visas from neighbouring countries?

navydocquad0
Dec 19, 2009

by angerbeet
My trip to Ecuador got changed last minute to a trip to Panama City, Panama. Totally ruined my whole poo poo, I don't even know anything about panama city, can anyone help?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

navydocquad0 posted:

My trip to Ecuador got changed last minute to a trip to Panama City, Panama. Totally ruined my whole poo poo, I don't even know anything about panama city, can anyone help?

Panama is a lot more developed than Ecuador. Panama City is really modern, lots of highrise buildings, shopping malls, good roads, that kind of thing. Are you just there, or do you have the chance to travel in Panama?

navydocquad0
Dec 19, 2009

by angerbeet
I can move around a little bit, I was considering taking the bus all the way up to San Jose in Costa Rica, I'll be completely predisposed with work from the 5th-10th of August.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

navydocquad0 posted:

I can move around a little bit, I was considering taking the bus all the way up to San Jose in Costa Rica, I'll be completely predisposed with work from the 5th-10th of August.

I didn't really like San Jose as a city - it's a long way, and I would say it totally isn't worth it.

Do you like the beach? Maybe consider a trip to Bocac del Toro, or to the San Blas islands? Both are fairly accessible from Panama (Bocas is an overnight bus) and the San Blas islands are simply incredible.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
After digging through this thread I canīt find much info on northern Peru. I could have sworn there was a post with some info for things to do before hitting the jungle towns.

Would anyone be able to recommend me places to stop along the way to Mancora/Iquitos from Lima? I know they arenīt on the same path but Iīll be heading to Tarapoto and then Iquitos after Mancora and Iīd like to see any towns worth visiting along the way with ruins or hikes or anything else to look at.

I know thereīs stuff to do but for some reason the whole central of Peru above Lima doesnīt get talked about, itīs a mystery land for me, anything to fill the gap instead of taking a 16+ hour bus would be great.

masterfly fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2010

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Ruins and hikes are pretty much all there are in northern Peru.

Huaraz has some of the best hiking in the country, Trujillo and Chiclayo have some ruins, etc.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

navydocquad0 posted:

I flew into Panama City and then headed out to Farallon and had a great time. There're some nice beaches there if you're into that. You can also see Noriega's old house if that sort of thing interests you. It's in ruins now, but it's still an interesting visit. There are also some nice restaurants and open-air bars along the beach. I highly recommend Woody's. It's run by a Canadian retiree and his wife. It's a nice atmosphere and good food. He also has some really cool pets and could probably give you some great advice on what else in the area is worth seeing.

If you want to do a bit of shopping, Penonome is pretty easy to get to and has lots of shops.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Botanical Gardens. Lots of amazing and interesting plants as well as a small zoo. If you want to get a good look at a harpy eagle (Panama's national bird and world's largest bird of prey) this is a good place to go. Lots of other interesting animals as well.

It might be a little harder to get to, but Gamboa is also very nice. It's right on the canal and there's lots of wildlife around as well as an old WWII radio station. I had a lot of fun there.

If you're looking for things to do in Panama City itself, I'm probably not much help. I didn't really spend any time there. It just happened to be where my plane landed and took off. I have kept in touch with some friends I met while in Panama though, one of whom lives in Panama City. He might be able to give you more info on the city itself. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and pass on his advice.

I'm sorry your itinerary got screwed up, but honestly, I had a blast in Panama and would love to go back again. I hope you have fun with it too. :)

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

navydocquad0 posted:

Unless you're used to tropical climates prefer to hate the humid heat with a passion.

Mr D
Aug 9, 2006
I'm currently travelling in Peru and will be moving on through Bolivia into Brazil over the course of the next few months.

On recommendation from a friend I was thinking of getting some clothes made (I was thinking of getting a suit tailored, specifically.) I was wondering if you had any advice about where to get this done or if its even feasible? I should have got one when I was in Thailand, but at the time it didn't seem like such a good idea.

Also, I've just spent the last few weeks in Iquitos trying out the Shamanic rituals and Ayahuasca medicine and it's gotten me interested in similar experiences. Do you have any advice on similar things around South America? I'm headed to Mexico later on and heard that there are shamans/spiritualists etc who use San Pedro catacus/Peyote cactus to offer similar experiences.

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
ŋpor que no te callas?

a japanese pop icon posted:

Woops totally forgot about this thread :v: Hope you didn't get mugged raped and killed!

DO NOT MISS IGUACU it owns. I didn't think the brazil side was meh at all though, it's an amazing view. The Argentinian side looked pretty meh to me.
I just came back today :) Had a loving blast. Valparaiso was awesome

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
When I went to southeast asia, lodging was incredibly cheap if you bartered it down. I'm curious if south america (peru specifically) is similiar.

In SEA I was able to get by for under $30 most days, is this doable in south america? I've heard $50-70 being thrown around and was wondering if anyone had feedback on this.

How about renting motorcycles? I've heard unlike SEA (5 dollar a day rentals) south american rental places will gouge you pretty bad.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Tolain posted:

When I went to southeast asia, lodging was incredibly cheap if you bartered it down. I'm curious if south america (peru specifically) is similiar.

In SEA I was able to get by for under $30 most days, is this doable in south america? I've heard $50-70 being thrown around and was wondering if anyone had feedback on this.

You can definitely get by on $30/day in South/Central America (maybe with the exceptions of Brazil/Chile). It's harder in more expensive places like Costa Rica/Argentina, but still possible.

As for $5 moped rentals, absolutely no way - much much more than that :)

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
On the other hand the entirety of South America has drinkable water so think of it as water tax!!!

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

On the other hand the entirety of South America has drinkable water so think of it as water tax!!!

I don't get it - is this a joke?

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

kidhash posted:

I don't get it - is this a joke?

Sort of? South America is slightly more expensive but there is in fact drinkable water in every country in it. Most of southeast asia other than singapore has tap water you should stay far away from.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Sort of? South America is slightly more expensive but there is in fact drinkable water in every country in it. Most of southeast asia other than singapore has tap water you should stay far away from.

Oh, that wasn't our experience. We were told we could drink the water in Argentina (everywhere except the North, around Salta), but were told not to drink the water in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and most of Colombia...

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

kidhash posted:

Oh, that wasn't our experience. We were told we could drink the water in Argentina (everywhere except the North, around Salta), but were told not to drink the water in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and most of Colombia...

All of those places (maybe not bolivia) have drinkable water unless you're in the countryside, I'm pretty sure. So do Chile, Brazil, etc. Also uh Salta has drinkable water.

Again though this doesn't apply to the countryside, usually. Also, as a disclaimer, americans/europeans usually have much higher standards for what is "drinkable"

a japanese pop icon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 13, 2010

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

All of those places (maybe not bolivia) have drinkable water unless you're in the countryside, I'm pretty sure. So do Chile, Brazil, etc. Also uh Salta has drinkable water.

Again though this doesn't apply to the countryside, usually. Also, as a disclaimer, americans/europeans usually have much higher standards for what is "drinkable"

In Salta/the Desert to the North we were told by people in the places we were staying not to drink the tap water. It's a desert, so I think the water needs to be quite heavily treated.

I know in Lima we could drink the water, but in Cusco/Huacachina/Puno we were told not to. In Banos/Quito we were told not to drink the water. In Colombia I think we could in some places, but not others. I think the point I'm making is that "You can drink the water in South America" isn't a very good rule. I'd assume you can't, unless you're explicitly told that you can.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

kidhash posted:

As for $5 moped rentals, absolutely no way - much much more than that :)

what sort of ballpark range should I expect for motorcycle and mopeds?

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

kidhash posted:

In Salta/the Desert to the North we were told by people in the places we were staying not to drink the tap water. It's a desert, so I think the water needs to be quite heavily treated.

I know in Lima we could drink the water, but in Cusco/Huacachina/Puno we were told not to. In Banos/Quito we were told not to drink the water. In Colombia I think we could in some places, but not others. I think the point I'm making is that "You can drink the water in South America" isn't a very good rule. I'd assume you can't, unless you're explicitly told that you can.

By default I've drunk the tap water in south america everywhere I've been, and I've never gotten sick. On the other hand I accidentally got tap water on my toothbrush in bali and got sick. Salta water hasn't ever made anyone sick that I know of, or Quito. The entirety of Brazil (unless it's like in the middle of the Amazon) has had drinkable tap water, the entirety of chile does (even the desert), and I've drunk the tap water every single place in Argentina I've been to. Peru/Bolivia might be unsafe, but, again, I doubt this is so in the big cities.

Honestly I think if you got told not to drink the water it's more cause you're American/foreign and you'll be told everything is unsafe than the water is actually unsafe.

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
ŋpor que no te callas?
"Drinkable" tap water in Brasil? Drinkable, in the sense that if you can bear the god-awful taste, you won't die from it? No one drinks the tap water in Brasil, but when I was living there, I did brush my teeth and bathe in the stuff, and I was fine. Anyway, if you try to drink it, it tastes like poo poo and will probably give you the runs.

Seriously, the only Brazilian I've ever met that drank tap water was poor as gently caress and lived in the poorest favela I've ever been to, to the point that the cops stopped us and told us we shouldn't be there.

roflcopter thief fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 16, 2010

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

roflcopter thief posted:

"Drinkable" tap water in Brasil? Drinkable, in the sense that if you can bear the god-awful taste, you won't die from it? No one drinks the tap water in Brasil, but when I was living there, I did brush my teeth and bathe in the stuff, and I was fine. Anyway, if you try to drink it, it tastes like poo poo and will probably give you the runs.

Seriously, the only Brazilian I've ever met that drank tap water was poor as gently caress and lived in the poorest favela I've ever been to, to the point that the cops stopped us and told us we shouldn't be there.

If you can brush your teeth with it it's probably drinkable. Honestly this isn't an argument about "whose water tastes" better, so how's that related?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I drank the water in every big city I visited, no problems whatsoever. The only water I was ever suspicious of was the water in Lima, but I accidentally drank a glass of the stuff while at a restaurant ~10 blocks from the mira flores neighborhood and nothing foul happened. My general rule of thumb is that if the city has 10 story buildings somewhere, the water is generally safe.

Someone mentioned the water not being safe to drink in Cusco? Considering how important Cusco is to Peru's tourism industry, I would guess that their water would be pretty safe. I brushed my teeth with the stuff and drank their water every day for a week with no ill results. Same with the tiny city of Ollytambo, last stop on the Peru Rail before Machu Picchu, perfectly fine. I ran into an Irish guy who was living with some Peruvian lady in Cusco and the only thing he said to beware was the food at some of the mom and pop restaurants off the main paths, and that the water was fine.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Tolain posted:

You can't group South American countries together because some are really cheap and others really expensive. These are rough estimates because like any country you can spend a lot or very little depending on how you spend your time.

Cheapest: Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay
- prices very similar to SE Asia: Expect $15-$30/day
$5-$8 for a dorm room

Moderate: Colombia, Venezuela (depending on official/black market exchange rate), Argentina, Uruguay
- Expect $20-$50/day
$8-$15 for a dorm room

Expensive: Brazil, Chile
-Expect $50-$100/day
$15-$25 for a dorm room

Tolain posted:

How about renting motorcycles? I've heard unlike SEA (5 dollar a day rentals) south american rental places will gouge you pretty bad.

It's not common at all to rent motorcyles in South America. You will find rentals for tourists in some big tourists towns, like Colonia, Uruguay. But don't plan at all on renting a motorbike except form regular car rental places like Buget, Hertz, etc.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Basically South America is almost nothing like SEA, I don't know why people like to compare the two so much.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Can anybody share EFL experiences in Central or South America? I'd be more specific about countries but I'm open to wherever. Though I would like to practice Spanish, so I'd be preferably somewhere with a international or at least comprehensible dialect.

edit: v thanks! Very helpful impressions.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 22, 2010

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Mortley posted:

Can anybody share EFL experiences in Central or South America? I'd be more specific about countries but I'm open to wherever. Though I would like to practice Spanish, so I'd be preferably somewhere with a international or at least comprehensible dialect.

I lived in Honduras from 2005 to 2010.

In Guatemala they speak Spanish very clearly. It seems there are more Spanish schools in Guatemala than anywhere else in Central America.

In Belize they also speak Spanish very clearly, with a vaguely Mexican accent. In fact, when I went to Belize I understand their Spanish better than their English (and English is my first language).

In Honduras and Nicaragua they speak a very heavily accented Spanish with a lot of local words. Northern Honduras gets more tourists, so the people speak a little more clearly when they're talking to foreigner. Still, I wouldn't recommend either country as a place to learn Spanish.

I VERY highly recommend Nicaragua as a tourist destination. It's safer than Guatemala, Honduras, or El Salvador. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Costa Rica. And its sights are absolutely beautiful. If you speak a little Spanish already, go to Nicaragua.

Costa Rica? I can't say. English is drat common that I barely got a chance to speak Spanish. As soon as people saw a white guy, they started talking to me in English, usually, "You smoke weed, man? You want hash?"

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Basically South America is almost nothing like SEA, I don't know why people like to compare the two so much.

They're both cheap and they both have jungles. Cheap + Jungle = Backpacker magnet.

I'm not saying they have anything else in common. I'm just explaining why people (who aren't familiar with both) try to equate them.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Bagheera posted:

I VERY highly recommend Nicaragua as a tourist destination. It's safer than Guatemala, Honduras, or El Salvador. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Costa Rica. And its sights are absolutely beautiful. If you speak a little Spanish already, go to Nicaragua.

What would you recommend for a week in Nicaragua? I've been to Costa Rica (meh) and Guatemala (yay!) and am planning on a another Central America country next year. I'm just not sure where to go; there seems to be so many choices.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

TheLizard posted:

What would you recommend for a week in Nicaragua? I've been to Costa Rica (meh) and Guatemala (yay!) and am planning on a another Central America country next year. I'm just not sure where to go; there seems to be so many choices.

Spend your week in Granada. The town has stunning colonial architecture and fun nightlife. The social scene is a good mix of tourists and locals. If you don't speak any Spanish, you can find lots of other budget travellers to hang out with. If you know a little of the language, you can meet plenty of friendly locals all around town.

Granada is as safe as any place in Central America. I (a white American male) have walked around downtown alone at night with no problems. Stay away from the waterfront at night and ignore anyone who offers you drugs, sex, or discount tours.

There are tons of things to do around Granada. You can rent a boat and putter around Lake Nicaragua visiting Las Isletas (the little islands). A 4 or 5 hour boat ride with stops at the islands will cost you about US$10 per person (less with haggling).

You can hike up Volcan Mombacho, the largest volcano in Nicaragua. Be aware that the hike is very strenuous. If you're not up for a rough hike, there are a plenty of easy trails, nature guides, and canopy tours on the mountain.

Definitely go to Masaya Park. The town of Masaya is pretty "meh." The park is amazing. You can drive a car right up to the crater of an active volcano (rangers will order you to park facing away from the crater). You can see all the stages of forest growth: Some parts are still covered with lava rock, and the only life is a few lichens. Near the craters, only a few tough grasses survive. Further down you pass scrub and low bushes. And at the bottom you can walk through pristine dry tropical forest. There's also a great visitor's center with information on volcanos. Definitely take the night tour. It starts around 7pm and lasts until 10pm. The guide will take you around the active crater, up to a view of all of central Nicaragua, and finally into ancient lava tunnels underground. The tour costs about US$20 and is worth every penny.

When you want to relax and escape Granada's heat, you can go to Lago Apoyo, a crater lake nearby. It's a circular volcano crater that's now a big lake. AFAIK, it's no longer connected to any river or other water source, so biologists have a field day there. The water is heated and sulfuric, good for swimming. At the lake's edge, there are several hostels and little beaches. Be sure to go to the top of the crater and El Mirador (the lookout). El Mirador is a fun area with hiking trails, restaurants, shops, and bands. That description sounds kind of touristy, but it's not. The places caters to locals. You'll find lots of friendly Nicaraguans and, for some reason, very few foreign tourists.

Outside of Granada, you can go to Omotepe, a volcano island in the southern part of Lake Nicaragua. There's also San Juan del Sur, a beach town near the Costa Rican border. It's like Tamarindo but with half as many tourists.

To the north, Leon is very impressive. The largest cathedral in Central America and lots of friendly university students.

Nicaragua is what Costa Rica ought to be. Many say it's what Costa Rica used to be. It's cheap but not risky. It's authentic but you don't need to know the culture inside and out. Nicaraguans are the friendliest folks I've met in Central America. Even the most hardcore Sandanista (Orteguista, as we call them now) is happy to chat with a foreigner for a bit.

The big thing that Nicaragua lacks is ruins. The Mayans never got this far south, and the indigenous groups didn't build huge complexes. Don't expect to find Tikal down here. But you will find amazing natural scenery, well-preserved colonial architecture and very outgoing people.

Nicaragua is very hot this time of year. Granada in July or August is unbearable. The country is at its best in November or December. The rainy season has just ended, and everything is bright bright green.

My photos of Nicaragua. I'll post more recent photos soon.
http://gringracho.smugmug.com/Travel/Nicaragua-November-2006/

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Bagheera posted:

Stuff

Thanks, thats really helpful! That's sort of what we did in Guatemala - took a week in Antigua with 3 days up in Tikal. A week's never really enough but thankfully Central America is close enough that you don't lose too much time in transit. Plus the countries are pretty small and easy enough to get around in.

About the ruins; now that I've seen Tikal I think I'll be comparing every other one to it, which will cause some disappointment, I'm sure. So, a lack of ruins in not necessarily a bad thing!

We'll probably go the week of Thanksgiving - that's what we did with Guatemala and the weather was perfect. I'd never go in the summer!

TheLizard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 22, 2010

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bagheera posted:

I lived in Honduras from 2005 to 2010.

In Guatemala they speak Spanish very clearly. It seems there are more Spanish schools in Guatemala than anywhere else in Central America.

This makes it sound like the different spanish accents are because people aren't speaking "properly", not because the language evolved differently!

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

This makes it sound like the different spanish accents are because people aren't speaking "properly", not because the language evolved differently!

It's a matter of accent and local terms. I compare it to regional accents in the US. A foreigner who speaks English as a second language will understand people in Chicago better than people in Mississippi. I don't mean to imply that people in Mississippi speak English improperly; I just mean to say that they have thick accents.

Ditto for Honduras and Nicaragua compared to Guatemala.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's not only accents, but what indigenous words are mixed in with the predominant language. I could have a problem understanding someone from northern Maine or rural southern Louisiana just because of verbiage and not even accent.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bagheera posted:

It's a matter of accent and local terms. I compare it to regional accents in the US. A foreigner who speaks English as a second language will understand people in Chicago better than people in Mississippi. I don't mean to imply that people in Mississippi speak English improperly; I just mean to say that they have thick accents.

Ditto for Honduras and Nicaragua compared to Guatemala.

Except if you imply southerners have their accent because they don't go to school they'll get pretty angry at you, and latinamericans are very proud of their local accents usually so don't say that around them :)

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Except if you imply southerners have their accent because they don't go to school they'll get pretty angry at you, and latinamericans are very proud of their local accents usually so don't say that around them :)

When the hell did I imply that central americans speak the way they do because they don't go to school? I said that there are more Spanish schools for foreigners in Guatemala than in Honduras because the Guatemalan accent is clearer than the Honduran accent.

I've lived in Central America since 2005. I'm posting this from a little town in northern Nicaragua. So don't tell me what I should and shouldn't say around central americans.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Bagheera posted:

Angry words

Wow. Relax dude. He was making light-hearted conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bagheera posted:

When the hell did I imply that central americans speak the way they do because they don't go to school? I said that there are more Spanish schools for foreigners in Guatemala than in Honduras because the Guatemalan accent is clearer than the Honduran accent.

I've lived in Central America since 2005. I'm posting this from a little town in northern Nicaragua. So don't tell me what I should and shouldn't say around central americans.

Like kidhash said you really shouldn't get so angry, I was just pointing out your wording implied that other countries have "worse" accents because they have less schools/education. Hence why I said you shouldn't say that around latinamericans :) Also please don't pull the "I've lived in X country for 5 years!" thing.