Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Seriously. If your recruiter is giving you a tough time and you haven't visited MEPS or anything with him, I recommend just driving to the next town over and talking to their recruiter and lie lie lie*

*Nobody here is saying you should lie.**

**You should lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

or you just not mention it at MEPS in the first place. What is happening to my military nowadays. Back in the day we were encouraged by our recruiters to lie

"No sir, I have never smoked marajuana. Ever."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Quarterly Prophet posted:

**You should lie.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
my recruiter taught me that answering YES to the medical personel in a simple way

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

but slippery is going to cme in with some gay poo poo now

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

my recruiter taught me that answering YES to the medical personel in a simple way

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

"Are you heterosexual?"

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
they dont ask that ;)

they ask if you'll give them a handy

ooorah

--devil dog

*EDIT* lol I forgot that you wouldn't have any idea

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

This is the greatest thing I've heard in months. ooorah.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

I dunno. I mean on the one hand sure, I don't want dudes to lie to me, but on the other hand how many times has this happened to me

Boss: did you do X?
Me: Sure did!
*runs off to go do X right quick*

I mean so, for all that I AM pretty simple minded about right and wrong, I try not to be overly stupid about it.

I guess for enlisting I figure, hiding/lying about something that's going to affect your unit or your buddies by coming back to haunt you (i.e. medical condition) is different from saying "well yeah I experimented" when the reality is "I smoked a poo poo ton of weed." Just so long as you don't plan to smoke it any more on active duty.

You know what I mean? (what I mean is quit fuckin pigeonholing me)

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
yeah that was pretty gay dude

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

yeah that was pretty gay dude

I think about poo poo so I have a thoughtful response when some dude asks me something

I am also very attractive*

*not really

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
you...think about your OER

its ok dude

Personally I prefer an honest approach with my soldiers but I am *gasp* enlisted and not a gentleman so w/e

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

you...think about your OER

its ok dude

Personally I prefer an honest approach with my soldiers but I am *gasp* enlisted and not a gentleman so w/e

I did give the honest answer though??

also you are kinda being silly if you think officers really go around thinking about their performance reports, I mean really.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Slippery posted:

I did give the honest answer though??

also you are kinda being silly if you think officers really go around thinking about their performance reports, I mean really.

Slippery u no i love u

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Slippery u no i love u

I know, man, I love you too. Officers just don't always 'get' jokes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DOD conscientious objector clause.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slippery posted:

Officers just don't always 'get' jokes.
*Only applies to those who those who didn't attend an academy.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

psydude posted:

*Only applies to those who those who didn't attend an academy.

Wait you're an ROTC guy aren't you?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
academy officers lol

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
Every one of you loving "Your Enlistment Stops/New Opportunities" dipshits should be punched in the dick. There are enough malingering shitbricks in the military without adding yet another potential profile queen into the mix.

You reap what you sow, motherfuckers. Don't complain about pulling extra duties or lovely deployments when you have to pick up the slack for some guy in your unit with a profile for a pre-existing condition he lied about to get into the military.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Seriously. If your recruiter is giving you a tough time and you haven't visited MEPS or anything with him, I recommend just driving to the next town over and talking to their recruiter and lie lie lie*

*Nobody here is saying you should lie.**

**You should lie.

I haven't gone to MEPS yet, this just came from the initial medread. If nothing else, I may just try this.

edit: Just checked, and the MEPS station in my town serves most of the counties in Kentucky, and all of the nearby ones in a neighboring state.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 7, 2010

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Axolotl posted:

Every one of you loving "Your Enlistment Stops/New Opportunities" dipshits should be punched in the dick. There are enough malingering shitbricks in the military without adding yet another potential profile queen into the mix.

You reap what you sow, motherfuckers. Don't complain about pulling extra duties or lovely deployments when you have to pick up the slack for some guy in your unit with a profile for a pre-existing condition he lied about to get into the military.
What an excellent point. You are like the smartest guy in this forum just for that post. I really can't even add anything.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Those of us who are cool have 6 years select reserve/2 years IRR.

:c00l::hf::c00l:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

**You should lie.

god bless this forum

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I told the Army I'd never had chickenpox, but I actually had chickenpox before, everyone has to pick up the slack for me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
alrrightt, back on topic , questions/answers only please

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
How did PFC Marvin B. Clelan earn a bronze star?

Serious question, actually. I recently came into posession of some of my late Uncle's stuff and he was awarded a bronze star for action in Europe in 1944. I'm very curious as to the details of the whole thing because uncle Bruce was the quietest, kindest, gentlest person I ever knew. I have a hard time imagining him ever being mildly upset, let alone bayonetting nazis left right and center.

I can find his serial number, probably, but where can I find a record of the commendation that lead to him being awarded the medal?

\/\/\/ Thanks!

dee eight fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 8, 2010

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

dee eight posted:

How did PFC Marvin B. Clelan earn a bronze star?

Serious question, actually. I recently came into posession of some of my late Uncle's stuff and he was awarded a bronze star for action in Europe in 1944. I'm very curious as to the details of the whole thing because uncle Bruce was the quietest, kindest, gentlest person I ever knew. I have a hard time imagining him ever being mildly upset, let alone bayonetting nazis left right and center.

I can find his serial number, probably, but where can I find a record of the commendation that lead to him being awarded the medal?

If you can get his next of kin to do it, I think this would be the best option: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm leaving for OSUT in about three weeks to Fort Leonard Wood, 31B. I have the list they gave me on what I can and can't bring, but I'd like to see if there was anything some experienced folks could tell me to pack, things they'd wish they brought they could have etc. Even just advice in general for OSUT.

Any advice is appreciated.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm leaving for OSUT in about three weeks to Fort Leonard Wood, 31B. I have the list they gave me on what I can and can't bring, but I'd like to see if there was anything some experienced folks could tell me to pack, things they'd wish they brought they could have etc. Even just advice in general for OSUT.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bring the clothes on your back, a change of clothes, your toiletries, and that's it. Seriously. Maybe bring a hoodie/sweatshirt in case it gets chilly. Anything else you bring will be locked up for the duration of your stay there.
I was at FLW in 2003 for basic, but from Jan-Mar. Cold as hell, and windy. The courses were pretty well built though, I had a lot of fun on them.
Best advice I could give you is to be where you have to be, when you have to be, with what you need to bring. That's 75% of basic. Have fun with the MP training, there should be some fun stuff there.
A good thing to do now would be to start learning your ranks, army creed, stuff like that. You'll get a "Smart Book" when you get there, but it'll put you a step ahead when you get there.
Oh- don't lose it in Reception. You'll be stuck there for a while before you go to your training company. It's nothing to lose your mind over. Just a lot of waiting in line, and maybe getting smoked a little bit. You'll go a little crazy, just waiting for basic to start, just chill out.
How long is the MP OSUT anyways? Just curious. I know FLW does OSUT for MP's and Chemical people.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kombatMedik posted:

Bring the clothes on your back, a change of clothes, your toiletries, and that's it. Seriously. Maybe bring a hoodie/sweatshirt in case it gets chilly. Anything else you bring will be locked up for the duration of your stay there.
I was at FLW in 2003 for basic, but from Jan-Mar. Cold as hell, and windy. The courses were pretty well built though, I had a lot of fun on them.
Best advice I could give you is to be where you have to be, when you have to be, with what you need to bring. That's 75% of basic. Have fun with the MP training, there should be some fun stuff there.
A good thing to do now would be to start learning your ranks, army creed, stuff like that. You'll get a "Smart Book" when you get there, but it'll put you a step ahead when you get there.
Oh- don't lose it in Reception. You'll be stuck there for a while before you go to your training company. It's nothing to lose your mind over. Just a lot of waiting in line, and maybe getting smoked a little bit. You'll go a little crazy, just waiting for basic to start, just chill out.
How long is the MP OSUT anyways? Just curious. I know FLW does OSUT for MP's and Chemical people.

The Guard has had me waiting to go for six months, it's starting to feel good knowing it's not far away anymore.

I think OSUT is somewhere in the realm of 19 or 20 weeks.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I actually had duty with an MP last night, he said OSUT for them is 19 weeks. Oh, and I went to basic at FLW - you picked a pretty good time to go, Missouri (MISERY LOL) gets loving cold as hell. I was there until the end of November. I could hardly imagine what it's like in the dead of winter. Also, I was in PT's within three hours of showing up.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Um, Missouri is in the middle of an unyielding heatwave right now. It's only been 110-114 degree heat index every day for the past few weeks.

Enjoy that. (Next week should be better, but it'll shoot back up.)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Um, Missouri is in the middle of an unyielding heatwave right now. It's only been 110-114 degree heat index every day for the past few weeks.

Enjoy that. (Next week should be better, but it'll shoot back up.)

Oh yeah, Missouri is pretty much hell year round. Forgot about that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, Missouri is the worst. Winters were frigid as gently caress, they had us running up and down the stairs for pt in the barracks somedays because our normal route was too icy. Fun times.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kombatMedik posted:

Yeah, Missouri is the worst. Winters were frigid as gently caress, they had us running up and down the stairs for pt in the barracks somedays because our normal route was too icy. Fun times.

That's gonna suck. I've never dealt with cold like that. Coming from a Gulf Coast town I'm gonna freeze my sack off.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Around January it gets close to 0 for a few weeks. But beyond that winter isn't that awful.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

No Butt Stuff posted:

Around January it gets close to 0 for a few weeks. But beyond that winter isn't that awful.

Until you get hit with a blizzard...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I thought FLW was back on the grid relatively quickly in January '07 compared to the surrounding areas. But yeah, if those ice storms come back, it'll make for a real interesting OSUT.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I think it has more to do with the army's cold weather gear not being that great, especially what they give you in basic. We got issued the old BDU thermals, so we were only allowed to wear them if you tucked them under the collar so they didn't show (but you'd see all the drills wearing the motherfuckers zipped up to their necks). The gloves you get issued are absolutely worthless, too. It would be much better to just put your hands in your pockets (which you are not allowed to do). If you get the sand colored gen III fuckin high speed ninja suit, you'd be good to go. Although, after experiencing one of the worst winters in korean history last year, I can say that army cold weather gear doesn't really impress me. If you're not wearing any sniffle gear, you will find that the ACU was designed in a pact with Satan so that it somehow holds no heat in the winter, and is like a portable sauna in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

peniscurve posted:

Until you get hit with a blizzard...

The winter I was there was supposedly the worst they had in decades, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm used to snow and ice, so the only time it sucked for me was during white phase (spending every day freezing my rear end off) and my final roadmarch that started off freezing, so being a smart E-1 I wore my polypros for it. Come 11 am, I had the worst case of monkeybutt I ever experienced. And we had 16 miles to go. :(

You should be fine though. It should cool down by the time you go there.

• Locked thread