Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Nice piles of bike parts you got there.

Congrats on the Fiesta, btw, they're pretty neat small cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Nice piles of bike parts you got there.

Congrats on the Fiesta, btw, they're pretty neat small cars.

Pile of bikes, pile of parts, what's the difference these days. And yeah, we're pretty happy with the fiesta, although it's having some oddness with the clutch and reverse, I hope we didn't get a loving lemon. :argh:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'd replace the clutch cable with a MotionPro teflon-coated item, and put in an aftermarket set of plates and springs since it's a maintenance item anyway. You'll need a better clutch when you add a big bore kit and higher compression, not to mention once you upgrade to a Stage II ported head and aggressive cams.

Reverse is unnecessary.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Pile of bikes, pile of parts, what's the difference these days. And yeah, we're pretty happy with the fiesta, although it's having some oddness with the clutch and reverse, I hope we didn't get a loving lemon. :argh:

Thats why you have a warranty. Take it in!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Thats why you have a warranty. Take it in!

Yeah it's going back to the dealership. The thing is, the one we test drove did the same thing, so I have a feeling it's just everything wearing in, but if it's not you're gonna be drat sure we've got a paper trail on it.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

... I hope we didn't get a loving lemon. :argh:

American car. You probably got a lemon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

American car. You probably got a lemon.

Hey it's made by Ford Europe...and assembled in Mexico. No :911: anywhere to be found on this car. :v:

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Hey it's made by Ford Europe...and assembled in Mexico. No :911: anywhere to be found on this car. :v:

You win this round Conan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Hey just like the Focus, which was flawless from day one!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Maybe you can get a mascot for this Fiesta. Some sort of...cat?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Maybe you can get a mascot for this Fiesta. Some sort of...cat?

:fiesta:

It's already been named "Lorenzo". I'll give you one guess as to why it's named that and the first one doesn't count.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's already been named "Lorenzo"

But you haven't crashed it yet!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

But you haven't crashed it yet!

:ohdear:

poo poo didn't think about that angle. Must not mention it. Or this thread. :v:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Never ended up taking it in to the dealer. The transmission is fine, I think it needed to break in considering there are 800 miles on the car and I bought it with 30. They really are cool little cars and I strongly encourage anyone in the market for a new one to check them out. I'm not a mellow driver and I'm getting 36 mpg combined driving. I think we could do an easy 40 mpg on a long freeway trip.

Z3n will not clean the garage so I can put Lorenzo back in it :qq:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bunway Airlines posted:

Z3n will not clean the garage so I can put Lorenzo back in it :qq:

You have means of making him do your bidding. Use them.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

redscare posted:

You have means of making him do your bidding. Use them.

We don't function like that :colbert: ;)

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Bunway Airlines posted:

We don't function like that :colbert: ;)

Garages are not for cars. Hmph.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A car has its own roof, why put another over it? :confused:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

So after some shopping around, we decided to pick up a 2011 Ford Fiesta.

Your car was built in the future?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ReelBigLizard posted:

Car manufacturers start releasing next years models very early now. Pretty soon we'll be able to buy a 2013 in 2011.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ReelBigLizard posted:

More likely in 2009. The 2011 was released early spring 2010.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Yes, my car is from the future :science: I was wondering how that would impact the loan and depreciation because if the car is a 2011 it's considered it's first year next year technically. I know I know it doesn't make sense, people care about mileage not so much year.

I'm trying to keep him clean. This is the first new thing I've owned and I'd like to keep it nice at least for the first few years. Plus he's all shiny and black right now.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
5 speed black hatchback crew :whatup:

I don't even try to keep mine looking nice anymore. It's a never ending battle to keep a black car clean, especially in an area where I end up driving on gravel on a regular basis :(

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

needknees posted:

It's a never ending battle to keep a black car clean, especially in an area where I end up driving on gravel on a regular basis :(

Teflon wax is the answer.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Trying to keep a black car clean and shiny is a Sisyphean endeavor, don't even think about being able to stick with it unless you have massive OCD.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Proof.

I want to make beetle wings and attach them to the roof. Can't you just see this car crawling up the side of a tree? It looks like a big bug.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Curb feelers pointing forward, searching for prey.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ford hatch supremacy :hf:

I just got rid of my focus, but I feel like I'm emotionally still part of the crew.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Ola posted:

Curb feelers pointing forward, searching for prey.

Brilliant :xd:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Ford hatch supremacy :hf:

I just got rid of my focus, but I feel like I'm emotionally still part of the crew.
I just got rid of mine, also. The guy who bought it blew the clutch shortly thereafter and currently has it in pieces in his garage.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

How I wish I had a week to do a fly and ride right now...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611696

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I just got rid of mine, also. The guy who bought it blew the clutch shortly thereafter and currently has it in pieces in his garage.

Mine was so terrible that the dealership I traded it in to just kept it as a shop runabout/beater.

No joke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Nice bike. That'd be a hell of a fly and ride :v:

Might have a buyer for the ZX9R engine, which would be nice. I need to finish putting the other DRZ back together and get it listed up for sale.

Then I need to fix the oil leak on the DRZ, and thanks to motomind's generous loan of some A/F tuning hardware, I'm gonna get a bung welded on the exhaust and try and dial in the jetting as nicely as I can.

Interestingly, the CVK40 seems to be better through the midrange but worse on top end, whereas the 39mm flatslide makes the bike want to rev like crazy but it feels like there's a big hole in the midrange. I dropped a tooth in the front so I was expecting 4th gear clutchups to become relatively easy with the flatslide, but it's actually more difficult to get the front up than it was with the CVK on there. My wild guess is that it's running rich through the midrange now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the AF meter says.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

MotoMind posted:

Expanded sidestand foot plate
Spider Handgrips
Unabiker Rad guards
Hi Bar KX handlebars
Heavier rear spring(Oem spring included)
Heavier front spring(Oem springs included)
OEM Seat

Really? All that kit, and the OEM seat - on a DRZ - to ride the whole TAT...

Really?

That's a brave, intrepid adventurer!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Proof.
I want to make beetle wings and attach them to the roof. Can't you just see this car crawling up the side of a tree? It looks like a big bug.

Whatup fellow bug car owner!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Jabs posted:

Really? All that kit, and the OEM seat - on a DRZ - to ride the whole TAT...

Really?

That's a brave, intrepid adventurer!

Its a Corbin seat in the pictures. He is probably just going to keep it, or sell it seperatly for more cash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, so may as well bump this back up with further shenanigans.

My friend's SV recently sold, so he took a long trip to drop it off with the new owner and then pick up a KTM Duke 2.

The bike is immaculate, but has a couple of niggling issues. One is a clutch that loves to imitate a lockup clutch, the other is that it really needs a new chain. Finally, it's destroying all of it's lights from the vibration one by one. It's got a fresh set of Dunlop Q2s on it, which I scuffed in up Jalama road (picture taken at the end of the road, where it hits the beach). I'm still not quite sure why he hands his bikes over to me all the time, but I guess they do get all the care I take with my own bikes.

As to the bike, it's a loving blast. The front brakes are a little subpar for really aggressive riding, but it's light and flickable, with excellent WP suspension front and rear, and the single is great because you actually get to rev it out and have a good time with it. I'm toying with the jetting a bit to try and get it evened out, another bonus with the bike is that main jets can be changed with the carb in the bike. It's vibey as hell, especially if you're going the wrong way on jetting, it's difficult to start, the starter sounds like a box of loving rocks and steel, it's loud as hell, but it's a blast to ride. If I wanted something a little more street oriented, a 690 duke would probably be at the top of the list for me, considering it'd probably do 100+mph, while being light with top shelf suspension all around. 5+ years down the line, when they're running for 3-4k, I could see myself picking one up. Neat bikes.

Besides that, I'm just trying to get money together for the purchase of a new racebike. I need to part out the 9. I still need to replace a leaking gasket on the DRZ, just not really feeling it lately. Would rather be acting like a squid out on deserted roads (or behind roads that have closed signs on them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8K69df0OaU

Supermoto's turning me into a stunter. :sigh:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Supermoto's turning me into a stunter. :sigh:

You hooligan! :arghfist:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just the most adorable wheelies of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You guys :3:

Today I decided to part out the DRZ.

I took it from this:

to this:

in about 2 hours. Felt pretty good to get back in the garage and do something, it's been ages since I've worked on a bike.

I'll get a list of parts and rough prices up in the marketplace thread for those who are interested in parts.

• Locked thread