Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Would somebody mind breaking down the wildcat formation for me? I've tried to understand it on my own but I feel like I'm not completely getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
This was already posted, but I dont know if you saw it. It does a good job of explaining the concept and the formation, as run by the Dolphins.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/jets-at-dolphins-how-the-wildcat-works/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Doppelganger posted:

Would somebody mind breaking down the wildcat formation for me? I've tried to understand it on my own but I feel like I'm not completely getting it.

The term "wildcat" is getting overused and becoming a generic term for any formation in which there is a direct snap to a player who is not normally a QB.

But the wildcat as used by the Dolphins was an unbalanced O-line (both tackles on one side), with a direct shotgun snap to Ronnie Brown, as Ricky Williams came sweeping across pre-snap in an end-around sort of motion. They would put the actual QB, Pennington, out as a WR, so he was still in the huddle and the defense coudln't tell it was a wildcat play until they actually lined up.

There were only like 4 plays they really ran from that formation: Handoff to Ricky on the sweep, fake the handoff to Ricky and Ronnie runs off-tackle on the side with 2 tackles, or fake the handoff and Ronnie runs a counter to the other side.

They passed out of it a few times, but it was never really a threat. Now that defenses know about the regular wildcat and can cheat for it, teams are starting to use it with personnel who CAN throw, so they have to re-adjust again.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dominion posted:

The term "wildcat" is getting overused and becoming a generic term for any formation in which there is a direct snap to a player who is not normally a QB.

But the wildcat as used by the Dolphins was an unbalanced O-line (both tackles on one side), with a direct shotgun snap to Ronnie Brown, as Ricky Williams came sweeping across pre-snap in an end-around sort of motion.

That's well and good, but the Dolphins didn't invent the Wildcat and so attributing "what the Dolphins used in 2007" as the only correct definition of the formation is incorrect.

There isn't any consensus on what is and isn't a "Wildcat" formation, and the name doesn't really have all that much to do with Miami's unbalanced line/jet sweep variant - there's a formation invented by a HS coach, what Arkansas was running and turned into the Wildhog, what Carolina ran with the direct snaps, and then what Miami ran, and they can all be called "Wildcat."

oldfan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 1, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jeffersonlives posted:

That's well and good, but the Dolphins didn't invent the Wildcat and so attributing "what the Dolphins used in 2007" as the only correct definition of the formation is incorrect.

Oh certainly, the Dolphins didn't come close to inventing it. But when people ask "so whats this wildcat thing all about anyway?", they usually don't want a detailed history so much as an explanation of what the word means when they hear it on Monday Night Football or whatever.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Stupid question, but how much has football changed in the past 30 years or so? I've only really paid attention the last 3-4 years, but i when i see old school clips of even the 90's, the game feels off to me. Maybe i need to sit down and watch an older game in full. Maybe its the new style gear, but it seems nowadays players are stronger/faster/hit harder compared to even 10 years ago?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Meanwhile, in the NFL, the Carolina Panthers ran out of quarterbacks in a game late in the 2006 season. Dan Henning, who has been around long enough to have some familiarity with the single-wing and had already been messing around at points with older formations like the full house and wishbone, decided to employ an older-style single-wing with direct snaps to DeAngelo Williams as a last resort. It was fairly effective.

If we want to get really accurate, Henning's Wildcat formation was designed around QB Brett Basanez - who was a Northwestern Wildcat. When they were going to run it, FB Brad Hoover was injured so they scrapped it, leading to the direct-snap-to-DeAngelo plays which are known as a the "Tiger" formation - Williams was a Memphis Tiger.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Crunkjuice posted:

Stupid question, but how much has football changed in the past 30 years or so? I've only really paid attention the last 3-4 years, but i when i see old school clips of even the 90's, the game feels off to me. Maybe i need to sit down and watch an older game in full. Maybe its the new style gear, but it seems nowadays players are stronger/faster/hit harder compared to even 10 years ago?

You know, I thought the same thing about old school football, about something feeling "off". And I also thought it was just players were just a bit slower than they are now or something like that. Then I read "The New Thinking Mans Guide to Professional Football". And if any one wants to learn about the technical side and evolution of the game, this is the book to read.

In the book, the author mentions some 40 yard dash time of players of the era (the book was written in the 80's) and he mentions many of the star athletes running sub 4.4 times which is the same as it is now. I'm thinking that the bigger, bulkier pads slow down the athletes game speed more than the newest high tech stuff (the 40 yard dash is measured without pads) but I think the other thing is just the picture quality. We are just so used to seeing things in HD that things just look outdated when seen through 70's and 80;s film tech.

As far as the evolution of the game from how its actually played, its changed a lot and stayed the same simultaneously. The pro game is featuring more and more passing, a trend that has existed since the forward pass was introduced in the game. People sometimes act like the increase in passing has been a thing that happened in the past 5 years or so, but it really isnt true. Its been increasing forever and has only been getting more effective, so we can expect the trend to continue.

This is due in part to the West Coast offense concept being popularized in the 80's. Literally every offense is a west coast offense now and uses the basic theories philosophy and concepts from it. In short a West Coast offense uses precise timing and short routes to complete safer, short range passes. If you look at QB's completion percentages over the past 30 years, they have increased steadily because of the WCO. While the theory used to be that run plays were for short gains and pass plays were for long gains, the WCO concept is that many short pass plays can be perfected to net the offense 5 yards 70%+ of the time, making these short passing plays as threatening as a run on short yardage situations.

Anyway, read The New Thinking Mans Guide.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2010

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Anyway, read The New Thinking Mans Guide.

The author of said literature is Paul Zimmerman, better known as CNNSI's Dr. Z. It is a fantastic book and I'd also highly recommend it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dominion posted:

Oh certainly, the Dolphins didn't come close to inventing it. But when people ask "so whats this wildcat thing all about anyway?", they usually don't want a detailed history so much as an explanation of what the word means when they hear it on Monday Night Football or whatever.

But it really is just a generic term for "perimeter guy receiving a direct snap and running a misdirection or option play." The term entered the popular football lexicon from Arkansas, not the Dolphins, and it was basically just their generic term for the package which had McFadden (and occasionally Felix Jones) at quarterback. Arkansas certainly did a lot more then just jet sweeps and playactions off the jet sweep from an unbalanced line with their Wildcat, and it was a term being used a lot by 2007 to refer to the broader concept and not the limited Miami set (since the Dolphins hadn't even come up with it yet).

Crunkjuice posted:

Less than you'd think. Players are a little faster and a little stronger, but by the early 80s speed and strength were being emphasized so it isn't like comparing the game to the 40s or 50s. There haven't really been any great offensive or defensive innovations - West Coast offenses were already around then, and at least a few teams were running spread philosophies.

The two biggest changes I can think of would be the advent of the spread formations as running sets and the existence of advanced zone defenses, most notably the Tampa 2. And the basis for both already existed by the 70s.

I suspect that the reason it feels so different is because of the quality of television broadcast. There have been huge leaps in the quality of television football broadcasts in the last ten years, in terms of both resolution and camera angles.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\/\ Agreed, it's not that everything is better, its that everything LOOKS better because of HD presentation and better-looking uniforms and gear. Football uniforms in the 70s weren't designed to look cool.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Stuff about the WCO

The Blind Side goes into this as well. Basically, before Bill Walsh came along, people used to consider a 4-yard pass play to be a failure, while a 4-yard run play was a success. Which is dumb, because 4 yards is 4 yards and you still only need 10 to get a 1st down. So people didn't even bother with screen passes and short routes, except as distractions from the deep ball or safety valves. The concept of intending to throw a 5-yard out was just unheard of, basically.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 2, 2010

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The reason why you never ever wanted to run a 4 yard pass play in the olden days was due to these rules not existing:

1974 - Roll-blocking and cutting of wide receivers was eliminated; the extent of downfield contact a defender could have with an eligible receiver was restricted.

1977 - Emphasis added towards blows to receivers heads.
Defenders were permitted to make contact with eligible receivers only once; the head slap was outlawed;

1978 - Rules changes permitted a defender to maintain contact with a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but restricted contact beyond that point.

1980 - Rules changes placed greater restrictions on contact in the area of the head, neck, and face.

Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area.

Note that spearing remained legal until 1996. In the olden days, a short pass was a license to have your receiver's neck seperated from his body.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

adaz posted:

I had no idea this existed, if you think of it maybe put a bit of a trip report together? Curious about this league.

Here's a quick rundown: (sorry about the lack of pictures)

• Germany won against France (26:10), so we are European Champion and already qualified for the World Championship next year in Austria
  • Kickoff was at 19:30 (GMT+1), earlier this day were the semifinals (didn't watch them). Austria scored third against European Champion Sweden (30:0)
  • the game took place in the Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt (formerly known als Waldstadion). Max capacity is ~50.000, there were about 8.500 spectators during the final game
  • most of the spectators were Germans, France had maybe 200 supporters (estimate by me), although there may have been french fans in the German block
  • the french team's name was "The fighting Frogs", which I found quite funny :)

Some questions from a football newbie:

• are there regulations in American arenas concerning Vuvuzelas / compressed air horns / other silly poo poo like that? Concerning being a good sportsman and all, I found it quite annoying to see german spectators trying to drown out the opposing team by using these every time France were on offense
  • are there seperate blocks in American arenas for the two fan bases? (I know its commonplace in soccer, as violence can be a problem sometimes)

Some (maybe) dumb questions about the game itself:

• On a rare occurence, there was a "to go" distance displayed that was over the expected 10yards. How is that possible?
  • This may be too unspecific, but sometimes there was an incomplete pass, which didn't result in another try, but was treated as the next starting point (sorry, I'm still learning the terminology). Any ideas about when this may happen?
  • mental note to myself: bringing along a cheat sheet with the most important referee signals next time. Any suggestions where these can be looked up?

kyuss fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 2, 2010

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

jeffersonlives posted:

Less than you'd think. Players are a little faster and a little stronger, but by the early 80s speed and strength were being emphasized so it isn't like comparing the game to the 40s or 50s.

I kind of disagree. The top end speed hasn't gotten much better, there are a few more really fast guys but the combination of speed and strength has definitely improved. The DE and Linebackers are now huge masses of muscle that somehow still have good speed. There have been pretty huge increases in the physicality of the league since the 90's.

kyuss posted:

Some questions from a football newbie:

• are there regulations in American arenas concerning Vuvuzelas / compressed air horns / other silly poo poo like that? Concerning being a good sportsman and all, I found it quite annoying to see german spectators trying to drown out the opposing team by using these every time France were on offense

I don't know about specific rules, I think there may be, but you yell as loud as possible to drown out their signals.

• are there seperate blocks in American arenas for the two fan bases? (I know its commonplace in soccer, as violence can be a problem sometimes)

Not in professional sports but in college there's a student section and stuff, I don't think It's completely segregated in all areas though.

Some (maybe) dumb questions about the game itself:

• On a rare occurence, there was a "to go" distance displayed that was over the expected 10yards. How is that possible?

They lost yards on a previously play or a penalty and a redo of the down caused it to be first and 15

• This may be too unspecific, but sometimes there was an incomplete pass, which didn't result in another try, but was treated as the next starting point (sorry, I'm still learning the terminology). Any ideas about when this may happen?

Pass interference will give you 15 yards or the spot of the foul in the pros, you can't hit the receiver before he has a chance to catch it.

• mental note to myself: bringing along a cheat sheet with the most important referee signals next time. Any suggestions where these can be looked up?

First thing on google: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/signals

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

kyuss posted:

[*]are there regulations in American arenas concerning Vuvuzelas / compressed air horns / other silly poo poo like that? Concerning being a good sportsman and all, I found it quite annoying to see german spectators trying to drown out the opposing team by using these every time France were on offense

Nope, that's just what you do at a football game, it's part of the sport. If a team has something like an organised band then they can't play after the offense breaks its huddle, but just making an almighty racket from the stand is part of the game. Only thing that's a problem is blowing whistles, because the players need to be able to rely on the whistle for safety reasons.

quote:

[*]are there seperate blocks in American arenas for the two fan bases? (I know its commonplace in soccer, as violence can be a problem sometimes)

America's such a big place that a lot of the time it's just not practical to see your team playing away because of the travelling distance, so you don't get the same culture of regular travelling support.

quote:

bringing along a cheat sheet with the most important referee signals next time. Any suggestions where these can be looked up?

Your game will probably be played to NCAA rules, so have this one instead: http://bafra.org/signals/index.htm

terrin
May 10, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Nope, that's just what you do at a football game, it's part of the sport. If a team has something like an organised band then they can't play after the offense breaks its huddle, but just making an almighty racket from the stand is part of the game. Only thing that's a problem is blowing whistles, because the players need to be able to rely on the whistle for safety reasons.

I'm pretty sure noisemakers are banned at most (all?) NFL stadiums. Not sure about NCAA stadiums, but I've never seen them.

Trin Tragula posted:

America's such a big place that a lot of the time it's just not practical to see your team playing away because of the travelling distance, so you don't get the same culture of regular travelling support.

Mostly true for the NFL where teams travel further. College football stadiums usually have a visiting fan block, but they also end up peppered through the rest of the stadium.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

How hard is it to get regular season tickets for an NFL game if you aren't a season ticket holder? I've never been to the US but I really want to see at least one live game and I was wondering how far in advance I would have to buy tickets or if it was even possible to get them without paying astronomical fees.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Tekopo posted:

How hard is it to get regular season tickets for an NFL game if you aren't a season ticket holder? I've never been to the US but I really want to see at least one live game and I was wondering how far in advance I would have to buy tickets or if it was even possible to get them without paying astronomical fees.

That depends dramatically on where you are going. If you are going to, say, Jacksonville, Oakland or Detroit then you'll be able to get reasonable tickets not far in advance. Others not so much. I mainly have experience with the Pats and if you don't have tickets already they'll probably be rather expensive.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tekopo posted:

It's entirely dependent on the team. Some teams like the Jets/Giants don't reserve tickets to be sold to the general public so the only way a non-STH would get them is through places like StubHub or TicketMaster Exchange, usually with a hefty markup and fees. Other teams like the Pats/Ravens sell a small chunk to the general public but they're usually sold out within a day, so again StubHub or TicketMaster.

If you want to see the Jags, you're in luck and you can probably take your time.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

terrin posted:

I'm pretty sure noisemakers are banned at most (all?) NFL stadiums. Not sure about NCAA stadiums, but I've never seen them.

Right, but that's a stadium decision, not an NFL one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Most college conferences don't allow artificial noisemakers

terrin
May 10, 2005

Dominion posted:

Right, but that's a stadium decision, not an NFL one.

The point being it's unusual to have a football game where noisemakers drown out the opposing team's offense, it has to be yelling and screaming and such, or speakers if you're in indy

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for your kind answers.

Noisemaking is fine by me, I just felt bad for the french team as they had so little supporters in that particular play. And gently caress Vuvuzelas on principle :bahgawd:

I plan on visiting the German Bowl in October though. From what I've read, 20.000 - 30.000 spectators can be expected.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bashez posted:

I kind of disagree. The top end speed hasn't gotten much better, there are a few more really fast guys but the combination of speed and strength has definitely improved. The DE and Linebackers are now huge masses of muscle that somehow still have good speed. There have been pretty huge increases in the physicality of the league since the 90's.

This is spot-on. Super fast individuals have existed for a long time in the NFL, but now everybody is bigger and faster as a group. There have been super-fast receivers all the way back to Bullet Bob Hayes in the 1960s. The difference is now you have teams drafting guys who were defensive ends in college that ran in the 4.4-4.5 range like Dwight Freeney and DeMarcus Ware.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I ordered a Ravens jersey and it finally arrived, after only 3 months. I couldn't select the number and I couldn't find many places that shipped to my country, so I got number 23, McGahee. Is he any good? :ohdear:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tekopo posted:

So I ordered a Ravens jersey and it finally arrived, after only 3 months. I couldn't select the number and I couldn't find many places that shipped to my country, so I got number 23, McGahee. Is he any good? :ohdear:

He's pretty good. He's the #2 RB in Baltimore, though, because Ray Rice is amazing.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
He was the starter 2 years ago and he blew, but he's a lot better with Rice in front of him. Solid pickup.

Pop Dog
Jul 11, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

He was the starter 2 years ago and he blew, but he's a lot better with Rice in front of him. Solid pickup.

? Last time he was really the starter was in 07, and he was pretty good then.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I had him on my fantasy team in 2008, I forgot he was injured pretty much the whole season. My bad.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Tekopo posted:

He was a superstar in college and has definitely had one of the more interesting careers.

Here is him showcasing his flexibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ifz2qqtm8

And here he is showcasing his previously undiagnosed narcolepsy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDS5WKhdwM

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
God, Ryan Clark's really an awful player

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

God, Ryan Clark's really an awful player

Yeah but he played through whatever condition he had that meant he could have died any second on the field in Denver

except when he didn't

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He launched at him with his shoulder, and McGahee juked the wrong way. IT was an awkward hit, could've happened to anyone.

All y'all babies better keep your helmet strapped on tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy-TkDGB0 100% legal. Actually, I think that's the hardest hit I've ever seen in a game.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Welker had given up on the play, the pass had been batted down already. And Clark's an awful player because he thinks he's doing something good & right instead of stupid & needlessly dangerous

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Welker had given up on the play, the pass had been batted down already. And Clark's an awful player because he thinks he's doing something good & right instead of stupid & needlessly dangerous

It was called a personal foul anyway (though ruled not-illegal in the fining stage), then they just changed the rules anyway and it's illegal now regardless.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kalli posted:

It was called a personal foul anyway (though ruled not-illegal in the fining stage), then they just changed the rules anyway and it's illegal now regardless.

Why, because of the "defenseless receiver" thing? Does that not go away when the ball is tipped like other PI-type penalties do?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fouls against a defenseless player are completely different to pass interference, which is why it's a personal foul and it goes in a completely different bit of the rulebook. It's a player safety issue.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

Fouls against a defenseless player are completely different to pass interference, which is why it's a personal foul and it goes in a completely different bit of the rulebook. It's a player safety issue.

Oh, I get that. I just sort of thought that once the ball was tipped all the distinction between receivers and non-receivers was out the window.

And now that I look at the hit again, I don't think Welker was "defenseless" on that play at all. He wasn't airborne, and was looking where he was going for two full steps before he gets jacked up. I thought the definition of defenseless was that you were in a position where you CAN'T protect yourself (like in mid-air or looking back for the ball), not just that you DIDN'T protect yourself.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Planet Rulebook's definition of a "defenseless player" includes the following two items.

quote:

• The pass receiver whose concentration is on the ball;
• The pass receiver who has clearly relaxed when the pass is no longer
catchable;

It is a bit of a funny one because he kind of falls down the hole between the two definitions; he's just taken his concentration off the ball and is beginning to ease up, but he isn't "clearly relaxed" either. Thing is, that's the kind of hit that's on the way out of football and nobody will ever get dinged for calling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

Planet Rulebook's definition of a "defenseless player" includes the following two items.

It is a bit of a funny one because he kind of falls down the hole between the two definitions; he's just taken his concentration off the ball and is beginning to ease up, but he isn't "clearly relaxed" either. Thing is, that's the kind of hit that's on the way out of football and nobody will ever get dinged for calling it.

Hmm, seems I was wrong. Those basically make the definition of defenseless into "player who has chosen not to defend himself", rather than "player who is incapable of defending himself".

I like the latter much better as a definition. It's not Ryan Clark's fault that Welker gave up on the play while the ball was still in the air and he was still running a full-speed route over the middle. He shouldn't get penalized for a hit which would have been completely legal otherwise.

I wonder if the recent expansion of "defenseless receiver" will lead to MORE injuries, since now QBs can throw those dangerous passes and hang their WRs out to dry to draw fouls from overzealous defenders.

• Locked thread