Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Right now it appears to be limited to one song per user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Leperflesh posted:

There seems to be a limit to how often you can add a song to the global playlist. But this limit is not documented as far as I can tell.

How often can I put something objectionable and irritatingamazing and awesome into the playlist?
Pretty sure the limit is one song at a time, so as soon as your song finishes playing you can add another.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We limit to 1 song on the playlist per user otherwise it would be a lot longer than 6 hours 45 minutes that it is now.
Before today, it was 2 per listener, but then the playlist rarely got over 2 hours long.

We may switch to a different system where it's about amount of time rather than number of songs, but that's the future.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

If you're talking about how long it is before you can add the same dong again, it's about three days or something I think. But if you're running into problems like that, then you really need to expand your musical tastes!

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 12, 2010

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Something I don't understand about the search:

When you search an artist's name, and then click on the name that comes up, it gives you a list of every song from the discography, and you can add all of them to the playlist.

But... if the songs haven't been uploaded yet, then what are you adding?

Edit: solved, thanks, VVVVVVV.

And thanks again for this super service! I am enjoying the playlist.

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 12, 2010

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

eminkey2003 posted:

Something I don't understand about the search:

When you search an artist's name, and then click on the name that comes up, it gives you a list of every song from their discography, and you can add all of them.

But... if the songs haven't been uploaded yet, then what are you adding?
The only songs that appear in the search are the ones that have been uploaded (and properly tagged). Thus the rule to search first before uploading: if it's there, it's been uploaded.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
and it's a very important rule because even if you think you have the most obscure taste in the world, there's a good chance that at least some of what you want to upload is already there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh man I can't wait to hear CK - Dixie!!!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

We limit to 1 song on the playlist per user otherwise it would be a lot longer than 6 hours 45 minutes that it is now.
Before today, it was 2 per listener, but then the playlist rarely got over 2 hours long.

We may switch to a different system where it's about amount of time rather than number of songs, but that's the future.

No, this makes sense and it's a good precaution. It'd be good to have it say as much on the site, or (especially) give you a message if you try to add another song but aren't allowed, that says why... so certain idiots who shall remain nameless don't sit there thinking they're adding three or four songs when actually they've only added one.

Ahem. :doh:

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Edit: solved. Don't try to upload .m4a files.

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 12, 2010

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Have you tried clicking on the upload tab on the left hand side menu? It lists your last ten uploads, we're getting a fair few 500 errors at the moment because we've massively increased the number of active users/page views etc.

If they don't show you could try the FTP which is normally faster and less buggy, but may require a restart to recognise you if you are one of our new users. (It was last restarted a couple of hours ago).

Any problems join us in IRC and we can hopefully troubleshoot you in real time.

Edit: yes m4a is a no-no, at the moment we only accept mp3, afaik this is not likely to change.

Edit^2: stop editing your post!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

No, this makes sense and it's a good precaution. It'd be good to have it say as much on the site, or (especially) give you a message if you try to add another song but aren't allowed, that says why...
You should get a message at the top of the page in yellow, but it disappears after a couple seconds.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Regrettably there's been a shortage of metal uploads in this incarnation, so feel free to join in and elicit dozens of "ugh if it wasn't for the VOCALS" comments!

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Mr. P. Anything you particularly want?

Bearing in kind I'm goth/doom for preference but with lots of other stuff floating around.

Again /msg me in IRC and I'll see if I can help.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What gets a song banned?

And does voting affect anything, like really low ratings making a song banned?

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
10 min+ length, spoken word, and, I think that's about it.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I just uploaded everyone's favorite crabcore song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPtMklLiQrU

Enthusiasm
Jul 11, 2010

NEVER go back for any reason.

Xarthor posted:

yootoob posted:

dude, I'm sick of seeing bad comments.

Don't like the band? don't listen? obviously they don't suck since they're signed.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Another regular checking in :c00l:

Too bad I can't listen to it at the office for the time being, I have more mariachi music to add.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

What gets a song banned?

And does voting affect anything, like really low ratings making a song banned?
Low votes don't affect anything. Aside from the aforementioned reasons, I can only think of one dong that was banned for reasons of taste: that dong had a recorded interview with a paedophile child-killer where he discussed in detail his previous "conquests": even then most people were not happy with it being banned.

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?

Xarthor posted:

Awesome, Attack Attack! are hilarious.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh

Splash Damage posted:

It was a 5 minute audio clip of an anime girl being eaten alive by a dog/monster. Sickly sounds of flesh ripped apart, noisy, horrifying chewing and pained whimpers for straight 5 minutes.

why you must be talking about japan's number one female group, PERFUME ^.^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz7NSVhbKE8

i'm glad you enjoyed, there's plenty more where that came from! :)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Shotgun Jones posted:

why you must be talking about japan's number one female group, PERFUME ^.^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz7NSVhbKE8

i'm glad you enjoyed, there's plenty more where that came from! :)

Hi shotgunjones, next time you're in Uzbekistan tell the krew we're ready for them to drop more hot steaming postrave on our heaving metaphorical bosoms (the bosoms are the metaphor, not the heaving).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Hi shotgunjones, next time you're in Uzbekistan tell the krew we're ready for them to drop more hot steaming poo poo in our gaping metaphorical mouths (the mouths are the metaphor, not the gaping).

please don't

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
Is there any way to get this to plug into my last.fm scrobbler?

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
Hey there, just a white noise "thanks for this" post. I never got into it before but thanks to some friends I'm listening now and quite happy.

Edit: hope you guys like choral and symphonic gems! :D

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

DividedFrame posted:

Is there any way to get this to plug into my last.fm scrobbler?

Don't think so. Last.fm doesn't like streams.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Hi shotgunjones, next time you're in Uzbekistan tell the krew we're ready for them to drop more hot steaming postrave on our heaving metaphorical bosoms (the bosoms are the metaphor, not the heaving).

will do, it'll be awhile though.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I finally decided to check this out tonight. I'm hearing a lot of stuff that I haven't heard in years, and finding plenty of new things to check out.

This is great. Thanks for setting it up!

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.
GBSFM - the musical equivalent of the Total Perspective Vortex.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Holy poo poo this is awesome. I've been looking for something like this since forever, since I never know what kind of new music to listen to. I'm sure I'll regret it soon enough... but enjoying it so far.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The only thing I need in this is the emoticon ratings back on the website! A whole page full of the metal emoticon was awesome, though usually followed by a whole page of :cry: ratings.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Grenade posted:

10 min+ length, spoken word, and, I think that's about it.

A mod can correct me if I'm wrong, but the dong length that's acceptable has been increased to 11 minutes. Anything longer than that is banned, however a special request to play a banned dong can be put in to a mod.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
You shut the gently caress up Dad!

Awesome. Pure awesome. Welcome back.

Now, any word on GBS.TV?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

gbs.tv still works. Of course nobody watches it anymore...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mustache Ride posted:

gbs.tv still works. Of course nobody watches it anymore...

I saw the phrase "gbs.tv" and thought that was interesting. Then I thought about that for two more seconds and realized why it's best to avoid.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Go look at it if you want. http://gbs.tv

I even remembered my password. By the stats page, I don't think it gets any traffic, and I'm wondering who's still paying to run it.

edit: nevermind, looks like the stream is down.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 12, 2010

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Free Count Scratchula.

This is splendid news. Thanks, DaWolfey.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

A mod can correct me if I'm wrong, but the dong length that's acceptable has been increased to 11 minutes. Anything longer than that is banned, however a special request to play a banned dong can be put in to a mod.

This was confirmed by Dominus_Vobiscum and epsilonplus on IRC:

<Biiaru>: songs over 10 minutes are still autobanned, right? it's been months since i've been on here
<nwds>: I just posted in the SA thread asking for confirmation, but I think dong limits have been increased to 11 minutes. c/d
<Biiaru>: oh
<Biiaru>: songs over 10 minutes can still be unbanned manually by the admins right? i forget how that works
<epsilonplus>: they can be unbanned, yeah
<Dominus_Vobiscum>: nwds: c
<Biiaru>: real question is "would they" though
<Dominus_Vobiscum>: Biiaru: if the playlist isn't too long, they'll unban real long dongs

I included the chat log so nothing gets misconstrued. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Me posted:

Well, this could be interesting. I'll save the link to my desktop and check it out sometimes. Let's see. Oh. Pokemon. Of course.

Holy poo poo, this song. Fan-loving-tastic goons, never turning off this steam.

• Locked thread