Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl

I've got the Complete mod; are there any others I should look for? I'm thinking more in the vein of graphics improvements or bug fixes, not rebalances.

What else do I want to know?

There are multiple endings, and if you want the best one, just make sure you have all the plot missions done before you head into Pripyat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jew Bear posted:

FF6:
  • Gau is basically useless, but it's fun to try and collect all his Rages if you're so inclined.

Depending on which version you're playing, this isn't necessarily true - while it was corrected in the GBA remake, in other versions you can use the Stray Cat rage (which adds 400% attack power) with the Merit Badge (to allow Gau to equip weapons) and the Tempest sword, which can randomly cast a Wind spell that hits the entire enemy party. You can also add a Genji Glove and a second Tempest for double the fun. (This is commonly referred to as Wind God Gau.)

Also prior to the GBA version, casting Vanish then Doom on any enemy (even bosses) would kill them instantly. (X-Zone also works, but there is one boss that drops a magicite when killed, and X-Zone prevents that.)

Edit: I don't think Vanish/Doom worked on the Phantom Train, but a Revivify (the anti-Zombie item) kills it instantly. Phoenix Down can work as well, but it can also miss.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 12, 2010

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Gau is really useful in theory, but the game is so incredibly easy that you're really better off sticking with 4 people who can reliably attack/ultima every enemy in the game in one round.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Depending on which version you're playing, this isn't necessarily true - while it was corrected in the GBA remake, in other versions you can use the Stray Cat rage (which adds 400% attack power) with the Merit Badge (to allow Gau to equip weapons) and the Tempest sword, which can randomly cast a Wind spell that hits the entire enemy party. You can also add a Genji Glove and a second Tempest for double the fun. (This is commonly referred to as Wind God Gau.)

Wind God Gau wants an Offering, not Genji Glove.

For the most part, Gau is one of the worst PCs if only because in a game as easy as FF6, spending any amount of time grinding to make a character usable is unacceptable. In the time it takes you to get any of his useful Rages you could have fought battles somewhere else and the levels you get from those battles would have more value. Or you could have just gone on with the game using characters that get better abilities without going out of the way.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
When I played the game at age 9, I believe wholeheartedly that Gau was the best character, since ya know, he could be any monster. Early on, he's ok because he can channel Magitek armor, which has some decent abilities.

But yeah, he is pretty useless after a while.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Gau sucks, sure you can sperg your way to godliness with him, but why bother doing that when any other character works just as well, with the added bonus of being able to control them and being cooler than Gau (every character is cooler than Gau).

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: I don't think Vanish/Doom worked on the Phantom Train, but a Revivify (the anti-Zombie item) kills it instantly. Phoenix Down can work as well, but it can also miss.
You don't have Vanish/Doom for the Phantom Train. In fact you have no magic at all. I think the only boss it doesn't work on is Deathgaze. And why bother phoenix downing the train when that is your only opportunity in the game to see Sabin suplex a moving train.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 12, 2010

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Every Character in FF6 is usable and decent enough. Use them all at your leisure depending on who you like to see more.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

m2pt5 posted:

Also prior to the GBA version, casting Vanish then Doom on any enemy (even bosses) would kill them instantly. (X-Zone also works, but there is one boss that drops a magicite when killed, and X-Zone prevents that.)

Another thing people playing FF6 should note is that all the monster names where changed in the GBA version, which can be a bit disorientating if you're, say, following advice/a guide based of the SNES version. Same applies vice-versa, so be careful about that.

Not that you'll need a guide - the game isn't hard. Just don't do anything silly like running away from every random encounter and you'll breeze through.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You don't have Vanish/Doom for the Phantom Train. In fact you have no magic at all. I think the only boss it doesn't work on is Deathgaze. And why bother phoenix downing the train when that is your only opportunity in the game to see Sabin suplex a moving train.

It has been years since I played FF6, hence not remembering you had no magic at that point.

Yeah, the fact that suplex works on the train is pretty funny.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I always got Stray Cat for Gau in the beginning just to help out. It's pretty useful early on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Any good tips on FF8? I played until some point in disk 2 when my PS3 YLOD'd on me and I figured I'd go ahead and give it another shot, because I remember liking it quite a bit when I did play it. That said, I know that I didn't quite "get" FF8. I was terrible at Triple Triad and never played it if I could avoid it, I probably leveled a lot more than I needed to, I never did figure out how to raise your SeeD rank, etc. So basically, I'm looking for a "here's what you were probably doing completely wrong" post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix74 posted:

Any good tips on FF8? I played until some point in disk 2 when my PS3 YLOD'd on me and I figured I'd go ahead and give it another shot, because I remember liking it quite a bit when I did play it. That said, I know that I didn't quite "get" FF8. I was terrible at Triple Triad and never played it if I could avoid it, I probably leveled a lot more than I needed to, I never did figure out how to raise your SeeD rank, etc. So basically, I'm looking for a "here's what you were probably doing completely wrong" post.

Do not kill anything but bosses, as leveling just makes enemies stronger. You can drain magic all day and run away and still keep the magic you drained.

Find and get the lamp item as early as possible. Once you have it, use it to challenge and beat Diablo. Make him learn "encounter none" skill immediately. Ta-daa! No more random encounters ever again. You'll probably need to turn it off to make him learn the synthesize ability which lets you turn cards or items into magic. You are now done with the game.

If you need cash, look up a guide and keep taking license exams until you hit 20ish. Since you don't fight enemies you'll slowly drop over the game, but its not a big deal as pretty much the only things worth purchasing are weapon parts and tents. Why tents? Because they sythesize into curagas. Junction to life for 6-7k HP on the first disc.

An easy, and very powerful early spell to junction to attack is Water. You can drain it off the beach enemies on the very first world map you find. Keep in mind casting magic that isn't healing has zero value as everything caps at 9999 anyway. The best magic in the game bar nothing is Aura, which puts you into limit-break mode every single turn.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Artix74 posted:

You raise your SeeD rank just be progressing through, killing things, etc. Make sure you're taking the quizzes in the menu.

The game breaking way to play the game is use Quetzalcotl's "card" ability on every enemy so you don't get EXP, but you get AP.

In reality, just go through and play like normal. When you get Diabolos from the Cursed Lamp thing you get from Cid, you get his Card. You can use this on most early opponents to get better cards.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I never did play around with the "Card" abilities, how do they work/what do they do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix74 posted:

I never did play around with the "Card" abilities, how do they work/what do they do?

As mentioned, Quetz's (the GF you download off your computer along with Shiva at the beginning) lets you end fights by turning enemies into Cards. This gives you both the card of that monster and the AP associated with beating it, while also giving you 0 xp. This is a very, very good thing.

Diablo's Card ability lets you take cards and turn them into magic or items. This is ridiculously useful as all those extraneous cards you collect with Quetz now gives you even more magic and items that can in turn be synthesized into even more magic. Or you know, used to make new weapons. Rare cards also give really good loot/magic, but be warned there is a healthy amount of unique cards.

Card battling, Triple Triad, is also an addictive as hell card game that made me abandon the main quest. Its very simple, each card has four attack atributes, one on each cardinal direction. If its put down next to a card and its stats are higher, it flips it over, otherwise nothing happens. If it flips it, the card that flips has a chance of flipping all cards cardinally attached to it and so on and so forth.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Artix74 posted:

e:f;b

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
With that said - don't do the card/no encounters trick your first time through the game. It causes the game to be far more easy than it already is.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Barudak posted:

As mentioned, Quetz's (the GF you download off your computer along with Shiva at the beginning) lets you end fights by turning enemies into Cards. This gives you both the card of that monster and the AP associated with beating it, while also giving you 0 xp. This is a very, very good thing.

Diablo's Card ability lets you take cards and turn them into magic or items. This is ridiculously useful as all those extraneous cards you collect with Quetz now gives you even more magic and items that can in turn be synthesized into even more magic. Or you know, used to make new weapons. Rare cards also give really good loot/magic, but be warned there is a healthy amount of unique cards.

So let me get this straight. I use Quetz's Card ability in battle, it "kills" the enemies, turns them into cards (which I get), I get the AP for said enemies, but no experience.

Why the gently caress don't they tell you these sort of things in the game itself? This is very good to know. Not going to abuse it, but it's a good thing to have in reserve. Thanks goons!

E: Wait, is this just the ability from the GF being synched (or whatever the hell term they use), or does the GF have to use it? Because let's say I had both Quetz and Diablos and had the Card command equipped, how would that work?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

With that said - don't do the card/no encounters trick your first time through the game. It causes the game to be far more easy than it already is.

Whoa, whoa whoa. That is the point of FF8. Doing it any other way is missing out on the whole point of the game. Its a Final Fantasy where there are no trash mobs, the party starts out God-Like and you can spend all day dicking around in card-battles and looking for treasure with your Chocobo pals while sub-plot after sub-plot gets sent out back to die like turkeys on thanksgiving.

Artix74 posted:

So let me get this straight. I use Quetz's Card ability in battle, it "kills" the enemies, turns them into cards (which I get), I get the AP for said enemies, but no experience.

Why the gently caress don't they tell you these sort of things in the game itself? This is very good to know. Not going to abuse it, but it's a good thing to have in reserve. Thanks goons!

You have it right. The reason they don't tell you? Its how you break the game over you knee then bury it. It took me two failed playthroughs before I realized how it all worked and then FF8 was my favorite. I'd really recommend it since it cuts out most of the hassle in the game and lets you experience the interesting world without having to dick around too much in fights with trash.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 13, 2010

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hannibal Rex posted:

You only have a very limited pool of replacement soldiers. They normally only become available after you've had a few losses. However, you can sacrifice a few drones to trigger them early.

Somewhere during the midgame, you'll start facing certain tough, fast enemies. Target their legs with a sniper rifle to keep knocking them down and effectively neutralize them.

Don't trade away resources. If you have to, only in exchange for other resources.

A couple more things of note.

You actually start off with two weapon upgrades, an accelerator and a silencer. The accelerator isn't great, but it's obviously better than nothing.

There's an enemy that you'll encounter later that seems to be very hard to kill, the beastman Matriarchs, use laser weapons since the resists are low against them.

Robots with the armored turret are absolute murder against the Reticulans.

When they tell you that melee is good against Martians, they're quite true. The buzzsaw crossbow can often one-shot them.

Abuse the gently caress out of the Warp Cannon when you get them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Barudak posted:

Do not kill anything but bosses, as leveling just makes enemies stronger. You can drain magic all day and run away and still keep the magic you drained.

This is the dumbest advice that shows up every time FF8 is mentioned. Don't worry about your SeeD rank, money is practically useless.

Actual Protips:

-Half-decent junctions will guarantee that you'll always be stronger than your standard enemy along the game's path. Good junctions guarantee you'll be stronger than everything.

-You can get a quick start on bending the game over your knee by fighting the small fish on the beach near where you first get on the world map. They drop Fish Fins that Shiva (don't forget to grab Shiva and Quetzacoaltl from your computer in the classroom) can convert into Waters with IceRF. Junction 100 to Squall's Strength.

-Your ideal party will contain Squall, another physical attacker (either Zell or Irvine), and your favorite gal to be your spell caster. Pick your party and stick to it so the other 3 stay about the same level. Squall should always have the best spells first, then the mage, then the second attacker.

-Distribute your GFs evenly, smartly, and fairly. You won't actually have to use them in battle if you're smart with your spells and junctions (but use Doomtrain often because he's awesome). I prefer to give my second attacker GFs like Tonberry and Diabolos so he can use their special commands.

-Again, good junctions will make every fight a breeze, so take the time to draw as much of any spell you want from an enemy, especially boss type enemies.

-When you get the vehicle that can cross oceans, you can access a few new GFs and sidequests. You can also access a small programming error that let's you access Cactaur Island early. Locate Cactaur Island (it's a small island off the coast of the desert continent, and has a tiny green cactus popping up all over it), and sail south-ish around the coast of the continent until you find a place where you can land. There's a hidden path through the mountain wall that will let you get to the desert. Walk to the edge of the continent next to Cactaur Island, and the game registers you as being ON Cactaur Island. This let's you fight Cactaurs, which will let you easily max out all the GFs you have with a couple hours work. Just utilize Squall and his 255% accuracy. I suggest picking up Tonberry first so you can get his LVUP and LVDOWN commands.

-Odin won't attack you when you encounter him. Use Scan and bring him to almost 0, then spend as much time as you have left to Draw spells from him. He has Triple, the best Speed Junction in the game, and Death. You should easily get 100 of both.

-Death is not the best status effect to junction to your weapon like you may think. Pain is. Several enemies are immune to Death, but they aren't entirely immune to all of the effects Pain bestows.

-When you get your airship, turn on No Encounters and visit the Islands of Heaven and Hell. They have hidden drawpoints of the best spells all around their coasts. They also recharge after a while, so revisit often.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

This is the dumbest advice that shows up every time FF8 is mentioned. Don't worry about your SeeD rank, money is practically useless.

I recommend it since I hate fighting random encounters, and assume most other people do as well. Most people think xp=good and end up grinding for it in the game. Hell pretty much all that going past 20 does is make the final boss take progressively more time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Barudak posted:

I recommend it since I hate fighting random encounters, and assume most other people do as well. Most people think xp=good which isn't strictly true in FF8, hell going past 20 just makes the final boss take ages upon ages.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. I'm usually around level 80 whenever I reach the final boss, and every form still falls in one or two turns because Lionheart does 9999 a hit guaranteed by that point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. I'm usually around level 80 whenever I reach the final boss, and every form still falls in one or two turns because Lionheart does 9999 a hit guaranteed by that point.

The last form has HP dependent on your level. I have no interest in waiting around for Lionheart and having to watch it connect more than once. I had a friend who beat the game mid 60s and it took around 10 minutes all told to kill all forms of her even doing 9999 a hit. Granted a lot of that was due to having Lionheart only come out every 3 or 4 limit breaks. If you run through her low teens she drops in one and the whole thing takes sub 5 minutes.

I don't really care for combat in most turn-based RPGs, so anything to reduce length is mandatory.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Barudak posted:

I don't really care for combat in most turn-based RPGs, so anything to reduce length is mandatory.

Soooooo you want your game, but you don't want to play it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Since you have to fight the bosses why not wreck them as hard as possible since the game lets you? I found it fun to demolish them without having to wait around. Its not like you're going to be in any real danger of losing a fight unless you want to be, so why make it take longer than it has to.

Add in that if you're playing for the story, which lord knows I was when I was stupid and couldn't believe that the story could be so bad, its a great way to get to the thing that actually makes you want to progress through the game. The battles in RPGs never interest me, so I figure other people probably feel the same.

Eventually though, I just wanted to play more triple triad :sigh:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I would actually be more likely to play FF games if there was a "Skip Combat" button for everything. I like the art and the music, and the plots are generally weird enough that I want to find out what happens, but I can't stand the combat system.

Thank goodness for LPs!

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Look, the thing with FF8 is that everything scales to your level, so you'll want to strike a balance between high level and low level. there's way to get stuff from enemies without getting the EXP, which is nice. When grinding, keep it in mind to minimize EXP gain.

what you want is AP, spells and items. You can get items by refining cards and you can get spells by refining items. So to get spells to junction, you'll need to use Steal and Card over killing enemies if you can.

Then again, Card works like Morph in FF7. It doesn't hit for much, so you'll need to plan your battles accordingly. Of course, if you junction well, it won't be a problem.

It's better to use items to heal than spells at first, but eventually, you'll get the ability to refine healing spells from healing items.

Don't be afraid to use your spells, just make sure not to deplete junctioned spells.

21stCentury fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 13, 2010

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Caufman posted:

I would actually be more likely to play FF games if there was a "Skip Combat" button for everything. I like the art and the music, and the plots are generally weird enough that I want to find out what happens, but I can't stand the combat system.

Thank goodness for LPs!
The PS2 Wild Arms games allow you to skip battles if you collected some seals or abuse bullet-time/jump+forward enough to click encounters off in WA4.

I don't understand why people play such games and hate battles, when you need something to do besides pressing forward the whole game.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Scalding Coffee posted:

The PS2 Wild Arms games allow you to skip battles if you collected some seals or abuse bullet-time/jump+forward enough to click encounters off in WA4.

I don't understand why people play such games and hate battles, when you need something to do besides pressing forward the whole game.

Pressing X to talk to people.

Also, It's absolutely necessary to be able to skip dialogue.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
So I have an old PSX version of the first Silent Hill but I suck at tank controls. Is it fine to pick up the Wii Shattered Memories version and just play that? I love Silent Hill and want to beat the first one to get the story. I guess my question is; am I missing out on the story if I just play the Wii version and skip the PSX game?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oscar Wild posted:

So I have an old PSX version of the first Silent Hill but I suck at tank controls. Is it fine to pick up the Wii Shattered Memories version and just play that? I love Silent Hill and want to beat the first one to get the story. I guess my question is; am I missing out on the story if I just play the Wii version and skip the PSX game?

Yes you are since all of the sequels jump off of the original Silent Hill's story. Silent Hill 2 is its own little story, but you miss out on some intricacies about the town if you dont play through the original. Shattered Memories has a story thats completely different from the original.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For one thing, there's almost no similarity in the stories between the two other than they both involve somewhat involve the same sort of plot of Harry Mason trying to find his daughter after a car crash near Silent Hill.

Personally I'd say go with the PSX original. Shattered Memories does a good amount of things very well, but the frozen hell areas are infuriating and peppered with terrible design decisions. The motion controls, which work great with the flashlight and PDA, become a huge crutch when you try to shake off monsters. The places are like mazes and you can't exactly pull your map out while you're running away. I know the series has never been known for good combat, but the alternative provided in Shattered Memories is by no means acceptable.

I know a lot of people think the original game is too dated, but to be honest I played it for the first time myself only a couple of years ago and I thought it was brilliant. I also suck at tank controls and it's one of the main reasons I hate the Resident Evil series, but it somehow worked out well enough in SH. Helps that SH uses the controls to get the best possible camera angles for dramatic effect in a given room.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Don't be afraid to use your spells, just make sure not to deplete junctioned spells.

This is true; even the low-level spells can hit like a truck with a high Mag stat behind it, to say nothing of weakness-hitting.

High Mag affects the effectiveness of Draw; both whether it connects and how much you get. The maximum is 9 of a spell per Draw. Offensive spells provide the best boost to Mag.

Remember you can draw and cast an enemy spell directly if you don't feel like 'wasting' your reserves.

Vitality=Defence.
Spr=Magic Defence. Please remember that these are your only defences in-game aside from sheer HP count.

It's not true to say 'Money is useless' as reforging your weapons can be expensive. Also, some buyable items can become spells or tools for Limit Breaks. The most absurd being Tents turning into Curaga.

Refine, refine, refine. A lot of stolen and dropped items can become powerful spells/items. This is why everyone's going on about Card and Card Mod(Both abilities from Quetzalcoatl), because even items created from relatively basic, low-power cards can become poweful magic and/or useful items in their own right. And even low-level magic can be upgraded into higher magic(The earliest is Mid-Mag-RF, also from Quetzalcoatl). Thus it can be very easy to running around with potent magic very quickly, even with only minor work at it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oscar Wild posted:

The controls aren't nearly as bad as people say they are. They're tank controls but most of the game is played from a behind the back perspective where they aren't as awkward as trying to move around in the early resident evil games.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Bloodly posted:

Remember you can draw and cast an enemy spell directly if you don't feel like 'wasting' your reserves.

Only a good idea when it comes to healing and statuses. Draw-casted spells are weak compared to just casting a spell. Additionally, most enemies will absorb or have immunities to spells they carry.

EDIT: Weapon forging is incredibly cheap. I'm pretty sure everyone's ultimate weapons only cost 1000 gil to make. The most expensive items are things like magazines, or GF ability items.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 13, 2010

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Why were tank controls ever considered a good control scheme? I can't play the old Tomb Raiders because of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Why were tank controls ever considered a good control scheme? I can't play the old Tomb Raiders because of them.

When you only have a D-pad and no analog stick it was sort of a a logical idea for how to design character movement. Honestly though, its probably to do with it working, people buying it and then it getting weeded out pretty quickly once better schemes showed up. For games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, it was a more niche product and the tank controls got intertwined with the experience, where as in things like Tomb Raider it got dropped like a bad habit when better controls arrived.

I mean hell, Goldeneye has tank controls by default which is ridiculous, although thankfully it could be changed to something more sensible.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Barudak posted:

When you only have a D-pad and no analog stick it was sort of a a logical idea for how to design character movement. Honestly though, its probably to do with it working, people buying it and then it getting weeded out pretty quickly once better schemes showed up. For games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, it was a more niche product and the tank controls got intertwined with the experience, where as in things like Tomb Raider it got dropped like a bad habit when better controls arrived.
Tank controls didn't get removed from Tomb Raider until Legend (maybe the one right before it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Tank controls didn't get removed from Tomb Raider until Legend (maybe the one right before it).

Point taken. I seem to have remember IV or Angel of Darkness as being the turning point for some reason, but I think you're right that Anniversery/Legend/Underworld was where it turned.

Tomb Raider as a series is filled with weird design choices though, like having to manually use keys to unlock doors, the way that in the original series Lara's jump is incredibly finicky and results in your death, the random enemies, the lack of boss balancing, and killing her off in the fourth game and then making several "flash-back" games until the reboot.