Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
You know what GBS radio needs? Goon-recorded jingles every five songs or so, no longer than two or three seconds. Just for the extra goony flavor.

Loving this site, by the way. I was getting bored with Pandora. The program is so desperate to please me. GBS-fm gives no gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rocketfish posted:

You know what GBS radio needs? Goon-recorded jingles every five songs or so, no longer than two or three seconds. Just for the extra goony flavor.

Loving this site, by the way. I was getting bored with Pandora. The program is so desperate to please me. GBS-fm gives no gently caress.

We have that! It's a little broken right now, but it'll be back.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Searching tip that just came up:

If you use quick search, the dongs it displays are only the dongs with that term in the title. If you are looking for an artist, you have to click on the artist name to see the songs by that artist.

this has bean a pro tip, brought to you by gee bee ess eff em

aSSbAG.
Apr 10, 2005

Somethingawful's MAD Trucker
I would love to hear fake commercials for goatse donuts and the like, but I think goons would have the most fun with fake political ads.

E: like the radio stations in grand theft auto, anyone feeling me?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Doctor Zero posted:

Searching tip that just came up:

If you use quick search, the dongs it displays are only the dongs with that term in the title. If you are looking for an artist, you have to click on the artist name to see the songs by that artist.

this has bean a pro tip, brought to you by gee bee ess eff em

Alternatively, you can type artist:name, title:name or album:name to restrict the search. There are other search keywords too, like length>600 for all dongs more than 10 minutes long but I forget what the rest are.

aSSbAG. posted:

I would love to hear fake commercials for goatse donuts and the like, but I think goons would have the most fun with fake political ads.

Anyone is free to submit jingles, http://gbs.fm/forum/thread/400/

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Geez, some of the newcomers are hostile to ANYTHING which doesn't fit within their narrow boundaries. Need to be a little more open-minded!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

aSSbAG. posted:

You can always make one yourself and submit it! Currently the jingle system is not really functioning properly (it's a hack), so you only get a jingle every 6 hours, rather than every 30 dongs which is what it should be.

Nihiliste posted:

Geez, some of the newcomers are hostile to ANYTHING which doesn't fit within their narrow boundaries. Need to be a little more open-minded!
Haha, having Lustmord and Serrie voted down has finally made you crack.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008
What file formats can be uploaded? I've only had success with .mp3 so far.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Nihiliste posted:

Need to be a little more open-minded!
I'll help you blossom into the beautiful flower you know you are deep inside.

*adds My Little Pony Theme Song*

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Clever Gamma posted:

What file formats can be uploaded? I've only had success with .mp3 so far.

You answered your own question.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

aSSbAG. posted:

Somewhere at home I've got recordings of ones from GTA and a load of other bizzaro spoof ads in handy .mp3 format. If there was a generic jingle tag we could use to upload them to the server I could stick them up. Or just tell admins on the gbs.fm forum I guess..

e: :sax: :toot: we need the old gbsfm smilies back...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Peachstapler posted:

We're all big fans of Journey at the station, so please, queue them up from time-to-time. Thanks in advance.

Why must you torture us?

As soon as I get back from San Francisco, I'm going to upload my entire Gackt collection!

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Thankyou for the classy Ninja Turtles theme, now I can sleep.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
oh no

e: and I got the midi bees as well :o

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 12, 2010

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Haha, having Lustmord and Serrie voted down has finally made you crack.

Actually, I'm used to people not liking my music. It's just that some people are seemingly complaining about EVERY song, which makes me wonder what they would approve of.

Edit: Site and stream are working again, BTW. Just a very brief downtime.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2010

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nihiliste posted:

I fought to keep it alive as long as possible, but unless putnam fixes an inherent problem with the database, it's probably not coming back.

What inherent problem, out of curiosity? Also wasn't he permabanned years back? I'm surprised he ran it as long as he did.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Nihiliste posted:

Actually, I'm used to people not liking my music. It's just that some people are seemingly complaining about EVERY song, which makes me wonder what they would approve of.

Edit: Site and stream are working again, BTW. Just a very brief downtime.

Don't worry, you have my only 5 and I didn't even give Led Zeppelin a 5.

Donkey Darko
Aug 13, 2007

I do not lust for blood or death. I prepare for the warrior's call.
as a closed-minded newcomer, I shall vote everything as 1 to make people cry.

actually, this is awesome and the IRC makes it all the more fun.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

So glad this is back up and running. My music library was starting to get boring, and every podcast I listen to seems to be on break, so :woop:.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So is there a limit to how much one person can upload? I have a weird cover obsession and would be happy to upload my whole 20 gig plus collection.

Also, since the site is down right now I can't see how the tagging works, but on my own PC I put the artist covering it and then the original artist in parentheses in the artist field. Is this how I should do it for GBS FM?

In case anyone was wondering, I have like a dozen covers of The Final Countdown.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Jibo posted:

So is there a limit to how much one person can upload? I have a weird cover obsession and would be happy to upload my whole 20 gig plus collection.

As long as you take the time to search and make sure you're not adding duplicates, because the station already has a dozen covers of the Final Countdown and probably a huge chunk of your other 20 gigs.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jibo posted:

Also, since the site is down right now I can't see how the tagging works, but on my own PC I put the artist covering it and then the original artist in parentheses in the artist field. Is this how I should do it for GBS FM?

Ugh no, don't do this. Artist should be the person doing the cover. You can put the original artist in the comments field once it's uploaded if you want.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

What am I listening to right now and why do find it so funny?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

gently caress this Bob Pokosy poo poo, jesus christ. 4am and this thing comes on and in my sleep deprived state i think arghghghghghghhhhh

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I don't knowsy.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JVO posted:

What am I listening to right now and why do find it so funny?
It's a GBS-FM classic, that's what it is.

BOB POKOSY
DO YOU KNOWSY POKOSY
WHAT IS A BOB POKOSY
I DON'T KNOWSY

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
If there is any music that can feasibly be blamed for psychotic massacres, this is it.

domi the great
Apr 24, 2005
I followed your lead and took a shower too
This will certainly be stuck in my head until the end of time.
Someone really needs to tell this guy what the gently caress a bob pokosy is.

YES!!!! NEXT SONG!
yet for some reason I strangely enjoyed that...

Thank you gbs fm, that's the first song I tuned into. Already its been memorable.
Oh and this next one will probably give me a migraine
*sigh*.... SA <3

domi the great fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 12, 2010

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Jibo posted:

In case anyone was wondering, I have like a dozen covers of The Final Countdown.

That's going to be a problem. For a start, no, we don't want both artists in the artist field because the system will stick that one song on its own artist page thinking that all that text is the artist. We have a Composer field (read from the ID3 Composer on upload, if present) that we have been using for the original performer (unsemantically, this is not always the same as the composer, which is usually a person's name rather than a band's name; don't list the person here). However, unless you want to retag each song as it uploads to change to this format, you won't be able to dump that 20 gigs into the FTP upload. There is also the issue, as was already mentioned, that much of what you upload will be duplicates, that the moderation team will have to track down and hand-merge. Why not just upload and retag your favorites as you wish to enqueue them?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This is a lot of fun, but I fear we're putting the hurt on the poor thing. I keep losing connection.

Also, I don't know who Bob Pokosy is, but if I ever meet him I'm going to punch him right in the throat.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Plank posted:

gently caress this Bob Pokosy poo poo, jesus christ. 4am and this thing comes on and in my sleep deprived state i think arghghghghghghhhhh

Waking up to Pokosy is a rite of passage for GBS-FM.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
all im gonna say is...just you wait until you hear Zabbah!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Shotgun Jones posted:

all im gonna say is...just you wait until you hear Zabbah!
Someone should really introduce them to DJ Salinger.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The scary thing is that most of the regulars are on GOOD behavior modes right now, not digging out the true horrors just yet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

delfin posted:

The scary thing is that most of the regulars are on GOOD behavior modes right now, not digging out the true horrors just yet.

Delfin, shush.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
We just broke 100 listeners. Everyone else, come join the fun!

BalthCat
Aug 11, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

[stuff about covers]
The following is the best for our tag setup until we support more info:
Artist: Covering artist
Title: "Song (Artist2 cover)"

vvv -- But that is inaccurate :argh:

BalthCat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 12, 2010

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

BalthCat posted:

The following is the best for our tag setup until we support more info:
Artist: Covering artist
Title: "Song (Artist2 cover)"

I wouldn't even do that, just put the covered artist in the composer field.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

We just broke 100 110 listeners. Everyone else, come join the fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible
Thank you for bringing GBSFM back! Great work!

One humble request:
One feature I miss from the original version is the time when your dong is scheduled for play.

• Locked thread