Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

dev/null posted:

One humble request:
One feature I miss from the original version is the time when your dong is scheduled for play.
I used a calculator to find out what time my song is going to play tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

dev/null posted:

One humble request:
One feature I miss from the original version is the time when your dong is scheduled for play.

I'm going echo this along with Peachstapler. If the queue is going to be this long, it's really important to know when a tune will play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There seems to be a persistent 17 second delay between when the web page thinks a song has started, and when it shows up in the stream. 17s seems very long for internet lag.

The delay leads people commenting at the end of a song they're listening to, to accidentally comment on the next song queued up instead. If anything, the delay should go the other direction to avoid that.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

Beef posted:

playlist with pre-flood songs:

4.5 (3 votes), 4.7 (5 votes), 5 (2 votes)

after having played today:

2.3 (24 votes), 1.7 (31 votes), 3.9 (17 votes)
Until recently you couldn't get people to vote on a song no matter what you did, and now everything gets rigorously critiqued, haha.

Jormagund posted:

Mr. P. Anything you particularly want?

Bearing in kind I'm goth/doom for preference but with lots of other stuff floating around.
Yeah, I think all your good doom stuff is in there. I was about to complain about the sparse discography of staples like Iron Maiden but they appear to be filling out recently. I've been getting into The Crown lately and there doesn't appear to be anything on the station.

I'd forgotten how badly normal people react to death metal, which makes me want to toss on some Demilich or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

There seems to be a persistent 17 second delay between when the web page thinks a song has started, and when it shows up in the stream. 17s seems very long for internet lag.

The delay leads people commenting at the end of a song they're listening to, to accidentally comment on the next song queued up instead. If anything, the delay should go the other direction to avoid that.

Your listening app likely has a buffer, no?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Mr. Pither posted:

Until recently you couldn't get people to vote on a song no matter what you did, and now everything gets rigorously critiqued, haha.

Yeah, I think all your good doom stuff is in there. I was about to complain about the sparse discography of staples like Iron Maiden but they appear to be filling out recently. I've been getting into The Crown lately and there doesn't appear to be anything on the station.

I'd forgotten how badly normal people react to death metal, which makes me want to toss on some Demilich or something.

If you have any funeral doom that isn't up, I'd like to hear it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mentioned this on IRC but I think it would be a great idea to create a last.fm profile for GBSFM and scrobble all the tracks it plays. :q:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

This is an inherent thing with Shoutcast (the streaming software) and your media player having a buffer to ensure smooth playback.

Not something we can fix i'm afraid as the delay can vary a lot.

I've made some updates to the OP about this and other stuff.

spankmeister posted:

I mentioned this on IRC but I think it would be a great idea to create a last.fm profile for GBSFM and scrobble all the tracks it plays. :q:

We don't scrobble GBS-FM but we do have a last.fm Group

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

This is an inherent thing with Shoutcast (the streaming software) and your media player having a buffer to ensure smooth playback.

Not something we can fix i'm afraid as the delay can vary a lot.

Fair enough.

But what about this: I assume that when a user enters text and hits enter, you're using POST or something similar to send the string. Maybe you could add a token that indicates the song that is displayed in the browser at the moment the user hits enter, and ensure their comment goes to that song, regardless of what is playing at the moment?

Not that this is a huge deal or anything, but I expect in the future there's going to be some pretty nonsensical comments for various songs, because of the delay.

vonbaron
Nov 10, 2008
is there a limit to song lengths? Like what if someone uploads some boring 1 hour ambient song which is technically just one track.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
You can upload a song of any length but you can only add a song up to 11 minutes long.
Ask a mod to unban individual songs that are longer for a single play, but since the playlist is 9.5 hours long right now, we're going to say no (sorry).

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Mr. Pither posted:

I was about to complain about the sparse discography of staples like Iron Maiden but they appear to be filling out recently. I've been getting into The Crown lately and there doesn't appear to be anything on the station.

Yeah the new Maiden hit the scene, and I noticed the rest was a bit sparse

Agree with you on the metal front, not many of the new users adding it and although they all love Bob Pokosy and Zabbbahhh they can't hack any sort of metal :sigh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

We don't scrobble GBS-FM but we do have a last.fm Group
Well I think we should :D

Wynter
Aug 18, 2005

Chillaxeing
Oh thank the dark twisted fornicating gods of SA, I have a reason to listen to internet radio again. Welcome Back Geebsfum!

Seconding the vote for bringing emoticons back.

Also, is there a link to donate? I want to actually chip in this go-round. :10bux:

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Thank you GBS-FM for introducing me to Zabbah!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
ZABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Thank you, GBSFM.
Now I see what I was missing all this time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I have a question that other people may be wondering:

What is the guideline for uploading different mixes and edits of songs. I assume stuff like remixes are obviously okay, but what about radio edits and the like. For instance, I have a 9 minute version of a song and then a single edit which about a 1/3 of the length. Would it be okay to upload both (provided neither have been uploaded before) or is it one or the other.

Granted, there are some things that seem obvious. For instance, it wouldn't make sense to have both the mono and stereo version of a song up or anything like that.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Jormagund posted:

Yeah the new Maiden hit the scene, and I noticed the rest was a bit sparse

Agree with you on the metal front, not many of the new users adding it and although they all love Bob Pokosy and Zabbbahhh they can't hack any sort of metal :sigh:

If it is metal you want it is metal you get!

And maybe some Mark Morrison.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
if you guys liked zabbah, check out dj salinger! his music's pretty tight stuff.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
edit: server was restarted to give us more resources. Lets hope it helps!

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2010

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Shotgun Jones posted:

if you guys liked zabbah, check out dj salinger! his music's pretty tight stuff.

No one liked Zabbah.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cemetry Gator posted:

What is the guideline for uploading different mixes and edits of songs. I assume stuff like remixes are obviously okay, but what about radio edits and the like. For instance, I have a 9 minute version of a song and then a single edit which about a 1/3 of the length. Would it be okay to upload both (provided neither have been uploaded before) or is it one or the other.

Granted, there are some things that seem obvious. For instance, it wouldn't make sense to have both the mono and stereo version of a song up or anything like that.

Yeah, radio edits are fine, especially that extremely different. You just should probably indicate that with a "Title (Radio Edit)" or similar in the title field so it can be differentiated.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I would say that reasonable judgment should apply. There's no hard-and-fast rule about multiple versions; if they differ significantly (say, one's radio and one's live, or one's a noticeably different mix, or there's some particular significance to one live version/mix/edit over another), no one is likely to complain. Your example sounds like it'd fit into that category.

On the other hand, if a second copy is roughly the same as the original, ask yourself if you're really providing anything useful before uploading it. This is especially true for artists that have 4.2128712E+12 live bootlegs available; don't add 47 different live versions of a song if they all sound pretty much the same.

yes, peach, that applies to Zappa as well as Journey.

Ormy posted:

No one liked Zabbah.

That's what we all thought about it at first. :cthulhu:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's all fine. They are sufficiently different.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Cemetry Gator posted:

Different mixes and edits are all fine, as long as it is significant, however if it's some tiny little tweak don't bother with them. The example you gave is fine.

It's up to you regarding live stuff but generally try to keep it to official releases and avoid low quality bootlegs.

Imagine you had a friend round your house who didn't really know the artist and you wanted to turn said friend on to them; you would play some rarer stuff which they wouldn't have heard on MTV/commercial radio etc but not the stuff only a true obsessive would want to hear. Try to treat the station the same way.

Try and keep things in stereo and at or above 128kb/s as that is what we stream in.

E: Damnit delfin

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jormagund posted:

E: Damnit delfin

I hear you're gay for Puffery.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stream is back up.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Doctor Zero posted:

I hear you're gay for Puffery.

Who here can honestly say hand on their heart that they are not?

(I have profile pictures turned off, and just like the irony of it, plus someone paid for it)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jormagund posted:

Try and keep things in stereo and at or above 128kb/s as that is what we stream in.

Oh, well, I wish someone told me that before I uploaded a bunch of classic rock that nobody else bothered to put up at all in it's original monophonic mixes. All those Young Rascal songs, and Bee Gees songs, and Otis Redding songs, and those Traffic songs...

You know, nobody even cared enough to upload "Groovin'" by the Young Rascals (or Rascals, and yes, I checked for both band names and the song title), and if they wanted it in stereo so badly...

In all seriousness though, I know that's not what you mean. I hope.

Actually, I don't know why on most of my stereo/mono CDs I only have the mono mixes on my computer. Yes, I like the mono mixes over the stereo just because it often sounds better and more balanced for reasons I could PM you about if you care, but just to make a long story short, that's the only way I have most of that music on my computer.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hi, I just authed with socks!

:fuckoff:

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Cemetry Gator posted:

In all seriousness though, I know that's not what you mean. I hope.

Yeah, should be fine, if someone really cares enough about the quality of a song, the onus is on them to provide an improved version, if that's what you have to hand great.

Personally I'm not that much of an audiophile that I quibble, but some people do and if you have a choice between stereo and mono it's easier to avoid the pointless arguments.

Thanks for contributing and enjoy :)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

That is part of an ingenius workaround by botwrangler the_bells to test if someone has authed correctly. The comment gets removed.

It'll be made redundant soon.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

Socks does that automatically when someone auths. Chill out, bro.

Edit: DaWolfey :argh:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

DaWolfey posted:

edit: server was restarted to give us more resources. Lets hope it helps!

Seems like it's helping. Much snappier on the web interface, less disconnects on the stream.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Been listening for a little while, awesome so far.

Added one of my own songs to the playlist, hope people like goon made music.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Been listening for a little while, awesome so far.

Added one of my own songs to the playlist, hope people like goon made music.

We need lots of goon made music!

trouser chili posted:

Seems like it's helping. Much snappier on the web interface, less disconnects on the stream.

Yeah, ajax query time is much lower now, it's all much better. Meanwhile, further optimisation is being done.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Would there be anyway to add some sort of volume-equalizing mechanism? There's some wild volume changes between songs.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Would there be anyway to add some sort of volume-equalizing mechanism? There's some wild volume changes between songs.
We're considering ways of doing this. The old system used ReplayGain, but we're still mulling it over.

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes, I like the mono mixes over the stereo just because it often sounds better and more balanced for reasons I could PM you about if you care...

I care and I'm probably not alone, so why not POST ABOUT IT in the GBS FM forums?

Maybe I'll respond with my reasons for why I think square waves/clipping is bad for speakers as well as sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Where is my Meatloaf background? I demand a Meatloaf background.

....and more journey

• Locked thread