Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alferd Packer
Sep 17, 2004

Fudge, Packer?
I'm looking for more dark electronic bands similar to Khoiba, from Prague:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9OKuDwfiY

The best I can describe them is a female-fronted eastern european radiohead with lots of 8 bit electronics.

I'm looking for ultra-artsy experimental stuff that doesn't beat you over the head with the "dark" thing that I hear so many electronic bands do(Lunascape, etc.). The more obscure the better as I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the more popular bands of this type(Ecstasy of St. Theresa, Halou, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I'm wanting to find an artist who plays a rock-ish piano style. I already listen to Elton John, so I'm looking for something more modern. Nanou2 by Aphex Twin is kinda in the ball park, but something with more of a tempo would be great. No lyrics preferably. Any suggestions?

Edit: Think like, the first 20 seconds of the song I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Alferd Packer posted:

I'm looking for ultra-artsy experimental stuff that doesn't beat you over the head with the "dark" thing that I hear so many electronic bands do(Lunascape, etc.). The more obscure the better as I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the more popular bands of this type(Ecstasy of St. Theresa, Halou, etc).

Which era Ecstasy of St. Theresa are we talking? Because Pigment and Susurrate is just shoegaze...

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Angrybarrel posted:

I'm trying to build my teen angst and i'm looking for some more punk.

Stuff I like:
dead kennedys
crackrock steady stuff (choking victim, starfucking hipsters, leftover crack, etc.)
crass
subhumans
anti-flag

Stuff I don't like:
black flag (I like Henry rollins but was never into the music tbh)
indk

Prefer stuff that isn't to hardcore

This book.

Also X-Ray Spex, X, Germs, and Cloak/Dagger.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
If I liked this album by Dol Theeta (The Universe Expands), what other things might I like?

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

InflateableFerret posted:

I'm going to post 4 songs that I've been obsessed with lately:

King Tuff - A Pretty Dress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTo7TwMDUME

Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin - Reverse Shark Attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCS4OI88vW4

King Khan & BBQ - I'll Be Loving You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmXHm2Yc2KM

Thee Oh Sees - Block Of Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVL3mEwBhBI

so basically, does anyone know any other good garage punk, doo-woppy, surfy music?

Wow. Thanks for posting a bunch of stuff I'm really digging.

and this album cover is loving beautiful

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 9, 2010

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hung Yuri posted:

If I liked this album by Dol Theeta (The Universe Expands), what other things might I like?
You've heard Dol Ammad I assume?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

het posted:

You've heard Dol Ammad I assume?

Yessir, I've heard all their albums.

That's how I found out about Dol Theeta actually.

ConradPoohs
Mar 18, 2009
I just recently got Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and I was really liking all the brass in it. Does anyone have any recommendations for something with a lot of brass instruments? (It doesn't have to be "indie"-sounding, but I'm not looking for ska.)

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Get everything by Beirut, especially the pre-March of the Zapotec stuff. The Lon Gisland EP and The Flying Club Cup are the best IMO.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

ConradPoohs posted:

I just recently got Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and I was really liking all the brass in it. Does anyone have any recommendations for something with a lot of brass instruments? (It doesn't have to be "indie"-sounding, but I'm not looking for ska.)

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I've been obsessively listening to The Pipettes and the recent album by The Like and fell in love with the style. If anyone could recommend similar current artists, that would be great.

Even better would be good pop albums from the original artists of that era that they're cribbing from since other than the odd single or the obvious choices (early Beach Boys and Beatles material) I'm mostly ignorant on that kind of stuff. It can veer into R&B territory like the Jackson 5 or whatever, just as long as it's mostly upbeat pop stuff. I'm not into medal, rap or most electronic music so I use this music during my workouts.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm a couple of years late to the party, but I recently discovered The National and "Boxer" is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Are their other albums just as good? Also, bands similar to The National would be greatly appreciated.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

kuddles posted:

I've been obsessively listening to The Pipettes and the recent album by The Like and fell in love with the style. If anyone could recommend similar current artists, that would be great.

Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Surfer Blood, Girls and The Drums are all pretty recent bands that have a pretty clear 60's surf/pop influence, I'd check them out.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Can anybody help me out with some new garagey guitar driven indie rock? My ipod is getting kinda stagnant.

Something along the lines of:
The Soft Pack
Male Bonding
Titus Andronicus
Dinosaur Jr
BRMC
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

I know these bands aren't exactly all similar, but they're all guitar driven with some interesting sounds and textures, which is basically what I want. Also, maybe something a bit more obscure than these. Like, if its gotten a lot of coverage on the internet, I've probably heard it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I always have these extremely specific electronic music requests, so bear with me...

I'm looking for something that... well... it's difficult to describe because I don't know what it's called. I think it's some sort of heavy bass line, but I'm not sure.

Basically, I want songs that have more of this and this. Basically, songs that drop in that deafening bassline groove.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Surfer Blood, Girls and The Drums are all pretty recent bands that have a pretty clear 60's surf/pop influence, I'd check them out.

What? This is a ridiculous answer. Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen (note the Mark Ronson connection), Gigi, Camera Obscura and God Help the Girl resemble the bands he mentioned much more than all that indie rock poo poo. Vivian Girls are rad though, but not similar to Pipettes at all.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

Can anybody help me out with some new garagey guitar driven indie rock? My ipod is getting kinda stagnant.

Something along the lines of:
The Soft Pack
Male Bonding
Titus Andronicus
Dinosaur Jr
BRMC
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

I know these bands aren't exactly all similar, but they're all guitar driven with some interesting sounds and textures, which is basically what I want. Also, maybe something a bit more obscure than these. Like, if its gotten a lot of coverage on the internet, I've probably heard it.

Firstly, if you only have The Soft Pack's s/t album, do yourself a favor and get The Muslims EP.
You'll probably enjoy bands like The Mummies, NEEDLES//PINS, Bare Wires, Daniel Pujol, The Smith Westerns, Golden Triangle, Ringo Deathstarr, The Swirlies, Weed Hounds, Neon Blud, Eric's Trip, Woven Bones, and Whirl. For the record, I'm not very familiar with Titus, BRMC, or Ted Leo, so I can't help you there.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I barely know anything about this type of music; but I like this song an awful lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-ztntdQq0&feature=related

So, can someone let me know what tiny, stupidly-named sub-genre this belongs to and what else I should be looking at?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bit of a weird request: Can anyone recommend an instrumental jazz version of Gershwin's 'Summertime' that's slow and soulful? Sort of like the tempo and feel of maybe Janis Joplin's version, but with jazz instruments and instrumental. No or minimal percussion. The less regular the tempo, the better.

I know there are instrumental ones by Miles Davis and Bill Evans, but they're a little more uptempo than what I'm looking for.

edit:

Mr.Bond posted:

I'm wanting to find an artist who plays a rock-ish piano style. I already listen to Elton John, so I'm looking for something more modern. Nanou2 by Aphex Twin is kinda in the ball park, but something with more of a tempo would be great. No lyrics preferably. Any suggestions?

Edit: Think like, the first 20 seconds of the song I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats.
Have you considered jazz pianists? Some of them play some pretty straight stuff that might be what you're looking for. Try Herbie Hancock.

edit2: Actually a lot of later Hancock stuff is more like funk, and more bass-driven. But still, try jazz pianists.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 12, 2010

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I've been loving acoustic guitar + one or two voices lately, i.e. Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM
I've already gotten recommendations for Bon Iver and The Microphones, which I'm also liking. Any idea who else is similar?

ConradPoohs
Mar 18, 2009

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've been loving acoustic guitar + one or two voices lately, i.e. Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM
I've already gotten recommendations for Bon Iver and The Microphones, which I'm also liking. Any idea who else is similar?

Elliott Smith?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

If piano is allowed, your options open up.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

kapalama posted:

If piano is allowed, your options open up.

Yes, because it's not like acoustic guitar + one or two voices is the most common musical set up in the history of recorded sound or anything? Are you taking the piss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiF5dtsB1Gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_NYrI1Mt9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_DYbsg3n4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcj48HvL3us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_wnW9YBrE

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tshirt Ninja posted:

The tallest man on earth, awesome fingerpicking, and a ton of comparisons to bob Dylan

Also, someone in this thread recommended me an acoustic guitar and voice duo called thousands, although there is not much information on them besides their bandcamp page though

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I should have been more specific. I'm looking for more fingerpicking, and while I love flamenco and older acoustic like Bob Dylan et al, I'd prefer modern musicians. I'm probably going to end up covering some of these songs, so it's pretty limited to guitar and vocals. So, for example

ConradPoohs posted:

Elliott Smith?
is good, thanks,

Ras Het posted:

foreign languages?
not quite what I was looking for (thank you though).

screaden posted:

thousands
This is cool too, thanks.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Hey guys, looking for some Samiam & Jawbreaker type stuff. Late 80s- early 90s "emotional hardcore" sorta thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can someone give me recommendations on early New York punk/new wave stuff? The only bands like this I can think of are Blondie, The Cars, Talking Heads, Ramones, Television, The Voidoids, and Dead Boys. I'd like to have some more of this kind of stuff.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Older: Joan Baez (check out her first 2 albums, like this)
Along that vein, there are about infinity acoustic+1singer songs from old Appalachia. Seek thee out a "bluegrass classics" chord book - I've seen them around. Check out some big-name bluegrass and blues guys.

Newer: Chris Smither?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Can someone give me recommendations on early New York punk/new wave stuff? The only bands like this I can think of are Blondie, The Cars, Talking Heads, Ramones, Television, The Voidoids, and Dead Boys. I'd like to have some more of this kind of stuff.

Get the No New York and the New York Noise 1-3 comps.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

screaden posted:

Also, someone in this thread recommended me an acoustic guitar and voice duo called thousands, although there is not much information on them besides their bandcamp page though

It was me and they rule and I'm glad you like them!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Suicide?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

slowdave posted:

Suicide?

Also James Chance, Liquid Liquid, and ESG. Patti Smith wasn't mentioned in his request but I assume he has that already.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Have you already heard The Modern Lovers?

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Someone already said it, but get the No New York comp.

James Chance & the Contortions
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
Mars
DNA

Mars and DNA are great. Really weird bands. Both on that comp. If the opening song by the Contortions doesn't win you over, then I don't know what will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6uN1lOTQw

... and technically the Dead Boys are an Ohio band even though they did move to NYC. :v:

qrj fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 13, 2010

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I already have No New York, The Modern Lovers, Suicide, Patti Smith, and The Heartbreakers. (Guess I forgot how many punk bands were from New York :sweatdrop: ) New York Noise looks cool, and I've heard of Liquid Liquid and ESG but haven't gotten around to listening to them yet.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

qrj posted:

... and technically the Dead Boys are an Ohio band even though they did move to NYC. :v:

I was going to say that, and recommend rummmaging around in the Pere Ubu family tree as well. But then I realized that even though Pere Ubu was from half of The Dead Boys, their music is different.

Cool Cool Cool
Apr 17, 2008

by T. Finn
Can anybody recommend some poppier new wave actually? Something more along the lines of New Order or Altered Images or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Can anybody recommend some poppier new wave actually? Something more along the lines of New Order or Altered Images or something.

The Human League, Ultravox, Orange Juice, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army... dammit all my other namedrops hate pop :(

Edit: Human Sexual Response

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 14, 2010