Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Well, I think it's time to pimp the weekend radio shows.

Tonight, at 7pm central, 8pm eastern tune in for my Friday show, Zero-G on Ghetto Radio - http://ghettoradio.us/

I'm thinking to do a "Welcome to GBSFM" type show with my own slant (alternative, rock, 80s), so let me start your musical weekend off tonight and listen in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
I've gotten three power metal songs in a row.

This music is what furrys listen to while zipping up their suits.

hobbit barfer
Jan 1, 2006

I is gone light you pon fire
My suspicions have been confirmed, goons hate rap and love renaissance fair music :ohdear:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

hobbit barfer posted:

goons hate rap :ohdear:

Then what you have to do is add more rap to the playlist (searching and then uploading if necessary).

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
When tagging and uploading, by the way, try to keep things consistent with what's already on the station. This is how we end up with "Belle & Sebastian" and "Belle and Sebastian" as separate artists.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I see the entire Conet Project (see Numbers or Shortwave Thread) has been loaded, awesomeness!

I added GBS-FM to http://www.yourmuze.fm/ for you Blackberry users.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Would the numbers station really qualify as music though? Unlike noise, where the creators call it music and it's intention is music, numbers stations are just recordings of spy broadcasts. It seems like it would fall under the spoken-word issue.

Of course, that's up to other people who aren't me. But just wondering.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cemetry Gator posted:

Would the numbers station really qualify as music though?

I agree with you; but it's not up to people that aren't you until you report the dongs.

Edit: However, I don't know much about this project, but if the numbers stations were used as a base to create actual songs, that's a different story.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 13, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Would the numbers station really qualify as music though? Unlike noise, where the creators call it music and it's intention is music, numbers stations are just recordings of spy broadcasts. It seems like it would fall under the spoken-word issue.

Don't ask don't tell. :ssh::ninja:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What was that song that was on last night that was basically a bunch of screaming and grunting and poo poo (not metal or anything just general hosed upedness)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

spankmeister posted:

What was that song that was on last night that was basically a bunch of screaming and grunting and poo poo (not metal or anything just general hosed upedness)

This is GBS-FM. You'll have to be more specific than that.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Cemetry Gator posted:

That is all true but a lot of them have little tunes in them, they sound cool and are short, so we let them slide.

Mostly because it invites lots of "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS, ITS loving TERRIFYING" comments, and that's always fun.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

This is GBS-FM. You'll have to be more specific than that.

Hmm, good point.

I think it was around eleven twelve-ish and it was like 10 minutes or some poo poo, it started out with grunting and screaming and about halfway through some rock/punk music started and the grunting continued.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.

spankmeister posted:

Hmm, good point.

I think it was around eleven twelve-ish and it was like 10 minutes or some poo poo, it started out with grunting and screaming and about halfway through some rock/punk music started and the grunting continued.

You don't mean Cromagnon/Primordial Orgasm or whatever, do you?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

hobbit barfer posted:

My suspicions have been confirmed, goons hate rap and love renaissance fair music :ohdear:

Not true, goons like good hip-hop. But like any other genre there's a lot of crap. I'd take a decent selection of hip-hop over hours of renaissance fair and power metal any day. Just spare me the over-produced autotuned rap that sounds like a Cyberman trying to be gangsta.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
110 listeners? That's great. Well done. This is the kind of listenership that brings post-rave artists out of retirement.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Peachstapler posted:

110 listeners? That's great. Well done. This is the kind of listenership that brings post-rave artists out of retirement.

I hope that means what I hope it means.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Peachstapler posted:

Let's do this.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I am hearing some rumblings out of the eastern bloc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hell yes! So glad this is back, plus its playing some great music currently.

I'm assuming that it is a huge no no to download songs off GBSFM? While upload privileges are given to goons, download is likely not allowed for legal reasons?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 13, 2010

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

DaWolfey posted:

Hey Bass, where’s the DJs?
DJs were a part of the old GBS-FM, but we have offloaded that duty to DJ Only station, GhettoRadio. Sign up there if you want to do a show. Unlike the old GBS-FM, Ghetto shows run all the time, not just at weekends.

GhettoRadio is indeed alive and well. Primary focus is on DJ'd entertainment and (as incredulous as it might be) poo poo that just doesn't fit in with GBSFM. There is a homegrown playlist that is playing during off-show hours but FTP has been broke for a few weeks now so the playlist isn't the same user-driven experience as GBSFM. At some point we(GBSFM and GR) should work out a graceful handoff, I know it's been sorta discussed and then dropped, but now that it's out of the closet might be the impetus needed

Anyway, blah blah long storied history, whatever :downs:

The main page to grab a link to listen is just https://www.ghettoradio.us or you can load up your player(whatever that may be) with ghettoradio.us as the server and port 8209

Digging a little deeper is the Dj pages and forum located at https://www.ghettoradio.us/forums. When you register there's a question about a secret password to prove you're a human. The secret password is uh, gbsfm
If you leave it blank or put in something else, you can still see the playlsit and some stuff, but wont be able to post anything, so youre pretty useless. Mainly the forums are where DJs post info about past and upcoming shows, so you can find track names of obscure poo poo, or post sugestions and whatnot

What?! YOU want to entertain us???
gently caress yeah! There is a thread in the main DJ forum to gain access to that, or hit up the IRC channel, theres p much always someone around.

What IRC channel? Same server irc.buttes.org(I think it is) and the channel is #GhettoRadio

Anyway, once you have some DJ buttons, theres a pretty simple schedule(kinda like a TV guide grid on :catdrugs:) where you just pick a blank spot and then its yours. Most nights after about 8:00 america time, there is someone on the air. Weekends tend to start earlier and last longer(THATS WHAT SHE SAID!) and have people during the day

Seeing a lot of old names in this thread so far, most of ya'all know the deal. Welcome to the new suckerslisteners! Enjoy your stay

Also much like GBSFM, GhettoRadio is not an offical Something Awful project. While this does limit the interaction(especially in the forums and :argh:single sign on aspects) It has brought in several awesome listeners and DJs that don't know WTF a goon is and would probably crap themselves if they did fully understand. Not too worried about things getting out of hand, as the retards tend to weed themselves out, and trolls are sometimes fun to feed

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 13, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Peachstapler posted:

We've hit 124!

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
My first thought when this turned up was "great - free music!", but I've been listening for a day-and-a-half and have already spent £70 at Amazon buying albums by artists I've just been introduced to. This is not free at all!

Have you considered adding an Amazon search box similar to the one these forums have? If people are going to be buying stuff anyway you may as well cash in on the referral fees.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
It seems like sometimes data's getting duplicated. People's comments on songs show up twice, which isn't such a big deal, but then you also get a number of song requests showing up twice as well (check toward the bottom of the queue right now, and you'll see several, with the same song and requester). Sometimes there's even a bit of a delay or something on the duplication, as comments will duplicate a couple of seconds later, or queued songs will have some other requests between them.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tube posted:

It seems like sometimes data's getting duplicated. People's comments on songs show up twice, which isn't such a big deal, but then you also get a number of song requests showing up twice as well (check toward the bottom of the queue right now, and you'll see several, with the same song and requester). Sometimes there's even a bit of a delay or something on the duplication, as comments will duplicate a couple of seconds later, or queued songs will have some other requests between them.

I think that's part of the Baby's First Python App glitching. If you refresh, they usually go away.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

I said come in! posted:

I'm assuming that it is a huge no no to download songs off GBSFM? While upload privileges are given to goons, download is likely not allowed for legal reasons?

Not for legal reasons, more because doing so would completely rape the site's bandwidth.

Tube posted:

It's a bug in the Javascript that builds the playlist in the browser. They're not actually duplicate entries as they still only get played once, more of a visual glitch. Until it gets fixed a page refresh will usually fix it, but it is annoying.

edit: Incoherence :argh:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I said come in! posted:

Heh. "legal"

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yeah we're not sure on why that's happening.
What browser are you using?

You can easily clear it with a refresh.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Incoherence posted:

I think that's part of the Baby's First Python App glitching. If you refresh, they usually go away.

Oh, hey, you're absolutely right :) It sounds like it's probably something for someone to look into, but I suppose it's no big deal really.

Have I mentioned how thrilled I am to have this up and running again? I hadn't really listened to GBS-FM much in the last couple of years, just because it tends not to go well with trying to study, but it's absolutely amazing to have around when you do want it (like I have this summer). So, thanks to everyone who made that happen; you guys are awesome.

e:

DaWolfey posted:

Yeah we're not sure on why that's happening.
What browser are you using?

You can easily clear it with a refresh.

I'm on Firefox 3.6.8, if that's helpful at all.

Also, at least with the chat thing, it only seems to happen in conjunction with a slight lag delay of a second or two, and not consistently even then. Or at least, that's how it appears when it's one of MY comments that duplicates.

If it were a decade ago, I'd suggest that it might be an issue with checking UDP packets, but I'm sure your technology's better than that, at least. I'm not a Python guy, though, so I don't really know what sort of possibilities there are for these things.

Tube fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A friend just linked me to the mp3 of kuuenbu's melt down. :lol: I looked it up and he doesn't post on the forums anymore (been 2 years). I wonder what are the chances of him making a come back to host music again. :allears:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Tube posted:

Oh, hey, you're absolutely right :) It sounds like it's probably something for someone to look into, but I suppose it's no big deal really.

Have I mentioned how thrilled I am to have this up and running again? I hadn't really listened to GBS-FM much in the last couple of years, just because it tends not to go well with trying to study, but it's absolutely amazing to have around when you do want it (like I have this summer). So, thanks to everyone who made that happen; you guys are awesome.

e:

I'm on Firefox 3.6.8, if that's helpful at all.

Also, at least with the chat thing, it only seems to happen in conjunction with a slight lag delay of a second or two, and not consistently even then. Or at least, that's how it appears when it's one of MY comments that duplicates.

If it were a decade ago, I'd suggest that it might be an issue with checking UDP packets, but I'm sure your technology's better than that, at least. I'm not a Python guy, though, so I don't really know what sort of possibilities there are for these things.

Had you recently voted or commented?

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

CapCityGoofBall posted:

This is great for discovering new bands. If you hear any Foxy Shazam, that's all me baby

Will not, once my noise track gets played and I can add something else. :colbert:

Anyway, this is great - I'm really enjoying listening to this, even the boring-rear end metal! I never tuned in to the original incarnation, but I'll be spinning the hell out of this pretty often, I think.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Wow, surprised but really glad it's back. That said make sure to visit ghetto radio to get your DJ shows, they're all really awesome.

Edit: And I completely forgot what it was like to have your ears bleed, man did I miss that feeling.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 13, 2010

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

I said come in! posted:

A friend just linked me to the mp3 of kuuenbu's melt down. :lol: I looked it up and he doesn't post on the forums anymore (been 2 years). I wonder what are the chances of him making a come back to host music again. :allears:
Kuuenbu may have his "issues", but he does know his metal. He's done a lot of great shows, and I hope he'll come back and do more (and play some loving Manowar!!). Also gently caress yeah, GBS-FM is back!!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Awesome, this is perfect random music for work!
Is there a way to scrobble what's playing to Last.FM? It'd be highly entertaining to pass all the strange music on to my recently listened feed.

*edit: Are people uploading songs in over 7 minutes in purpose? :argh:

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Alfajor posted:

Awesome, this is perfect random music for work!
Is there a way to scrobble what's playing to Last.FM? It'd be highly entertaining to pass all the strange music on to my recently listened feed.

*edit: Are people uploading songs in over 7 minutes in purpose? :argh:

Sadly no last.fm. The way the streaming server sends audio back to the client means it can't parse it into Song/Title very well. Also most last.fm plugins for media players don't scrobble radio streams. If someone wanted to make a desktop app that did send GBS-FM dong info to last.fm there's a rudimentary API that might work.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Sounds like inclement weather is on the way, folks.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is this legal? I thought internet radio had to pay outrageous taxes and fees (to the RIAA, not the artists) above and beyond what commercial broadcasters had to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Seems like the answer to my question is that people hate goon music.

Oh well, time to upload some more!

• Locked thread