Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

FitFortDanga posted:

2. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

Oh wow, I get to recommend FFD a movie, I'm nervous. ;) I'm going assign you Plan 9 simply because I love b-movies. If you're an MST3K fan, I suggest you check out the live Rifftrax event they did for this; it's hilarious.

I was assigned Rear Window forever and a day ago, and I can't say that I enjoyed it. The plot dragged, there was a lot of filler thrown in that had nothing to do with the central plot, there was no suspense or tension that I've heard to expect from Hitchcock films and the story was just painfully boring and obvious. I'm giving it a 6/10, mostly because I loved the set design (which you can tell was completely fake but was so crazily-detailed) but also because everyone gave a solid performance. I wouldn't suggest this movie to someone who wants to get into Hitchcock because this turned me off of him almost entirely. Maybe I need to watch something else by him instead? New list...

Scarface and Rocky- No good reasons why I've never seen these two movies. *shrug*
When Harry Met Sally...- One of the classic rom coms. All my girlfriends try to get me to watch this movie and I never do. It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Billy Crystal or Meg Ryan.
Seven Samurai- One of my husband's favorite films. I even bought the special edition DVD for him. Just never wanted to sit down and watch it, even though I love every other samurai film I've ever seen (mostly the Zaitoichi series).
My Neighbor Totoro- I have some friends that are Japanophiles and they love this film. I also enjoyed Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, so I don't know why I haven't seen this yet.
Forbidden Planet and The Last Starfighter- I'm a huge sci-fi fan and these are two sci-fi classics that I just haven't seen.
Natural Born Killers- I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone, and I've heard that this film is just violent for violence's sake, so it's never appealed to me on any level. I do like Woody Harrelson though.
The Goonies- I can't remember if I saw this when I was little or haven't seen it at all. All my friends are always like "Hey guys!" and such and I don't get it...
Reservoir Dogs- I'm not a Tarantino fan by any means, but I have seen most of his movies because he uses actors that I like. I tried to watch this once and don't remember why I didn't finish it.
Star Trek (2009)- I've never seen it, mostly because of nerd rage. I have a friend that claims it's better than all the other ST movies combined, even Wrath of Khan. But we made a deal that if I watch this, then he will watch Godfather 1&2.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)- Another sci-fi classic that I need to watch.
The African Queen- Watching Bogart in Casablanca was amazing. This is another one of his greats.
Easy Rider- Just saw a Greg the Bunny parody of this, made me want to watch it.

Watched: Casablanca 10/10, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10/10, Rear Window 6/10

Skutter fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Skutter, you should watch Rocky. It's a great movie, and I never even feel the passage of time when I watch it.

I just finished watching Full Metal Jacket and I really enjoyed it. As with Casablanca, I was distracted at times by all the scenes that have been referenced in pop culture, and by that loving song "Surfin' Bird." (That episode was the catalyst to finally make me swear off Family Guy.) I think the movie is Kubrick's statement on groupthink. Really, Private Joker spends the entire film resisting the urge to sublimate himself to the group, faltering along the way in the blanket party scene when he's had enough of Gomer's bumbling, and he finally gives in by shooting the sniper. I can't help but wonder how much the making of the movie affected Kubrick himself, given that it'd be another 12 years before his next film.

I also watched Laura independently. Gene Tierney does an inimitable job (although I thought her voice was a little annoying at times). I was pretty impressed with Vincent Price as well. It took me a while to realize it was him, since he's like the biggest guy in the film. The real star, though, was Clifton Webb, who makes the film his the whole way through.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Laura
Full Metal Jacket

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Apocalypse Now: I've been trying to avoid information about this movie as much as possible since I keep meaning to watch it. Any movie that almost killed Martin Sheen has to be pretty intense.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Blue Velvet: I've seen a respectable amount of Lynch stuff, but I haven't seen this one. I don't think I have the stomach for Eraserhead, so this is my next choice.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

Jumping back in this because I can't pass up a chance to make someone watch The Scent of Green Papaya.

Bastard Netflix doesn't have it available (or his other films either). FFD, want to give me another suggestion? If you don't want to go off the list I posted, I can say that I was debating between Tran and Tsai, so if you want to pick a Tsai film instead, I checked Netflix and each of the following is available and has been on my to see list for a while:

What Time is it There
Goodbye Dragon Inn
The Wayward Cloud
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 11, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

Bastard Netflix doesn't have it available (or his other films either). FFD, want to give me another suggestion? If you don't want to go off the list I posted, I can say that I was debating between Tran and Tsai, so if you want to pick a Tsai film instead, I checked Netflix and each of the following is available and has been on my to see list for a while:

What Time is it There
Goodbye Dragon Inn
The Wayward Cloud
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone

Go with What Time is it There.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Skutter posted:

Oh wow, I get to recommend FFD a movie, I'm nervous. ;) I'm going assign you Plan 9 simply because I love b-movies. If you're an MST3K fan, I suggest you check out the live Rifftrax event they did for this; it's hilarious.

I was assigned Rear Window forever and a day ago, and I can't say that I enjoyed it. The plot dragged, there was a lot of filler thrown in that had nothing to do with the central plot, there was no suspense or tension that I've heard to expect from Hitchcock films and the story was just painfully boring and obvious. I'm giving it a 6/10, mostly because I loved the set design (which you can tell was completely fake but was so crazily-detailed) but also because everyone gave a solid performance. I wouldn't suggest this movie to someone who wants to get into Hitchcock because this turned me off of him almost entirely. Maybe I need to watch something else by him instead? New list...

Wow, I didn't know it was possible to have this opinion on Rear Window, for me the last 15 minutes are some of the most intense minutes I have ever seen.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend, you get Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I finally got around to watching La hora de los hornos and I have to say it's nothing like anything I've seen before. More than a propaganda film, it's a straight up call to action against neocolonialism. There's a ton I agree with in here, and just as much I disagree with, but if you watch it honestly it, if nothing else, illuminates the perspective of the left wing in South America. The history lesson aspect is pretty interesting and the cyclical nature of South American struggles for self determination is only reinforced by knowledge of the turbulent 40 years that have passed since the film was made. While the film centers around Argentina there are parallel stories throughout the continent. On the whole it was fascinating and even the preachiness is forgivable for its forthrightness. It does occasionally get a little buzzwordy and I don't know how that would translate to someone watching with subtitles.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

Reds This is something about communists right?

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film.

Werkmeister Harmonies I hear lots of good things.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 ,
La hora de los hornos 9/10

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

zandert33 posted:

Wow, I didn't know it was possible to have this opinion on Rear Window, for me the last 15 minutes are some of the most intense minutes I have ever seen.

In complete agreement here. It was the first Hitchcock film I watched and I absolutely loved it. I mean, obviously Skutter's opinion can't be wrong but it just is.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I never found it intense or suspenseful at all. I actually started laughing when Jimmy Stewart was trying to blind the guy with the flash bulbs as a way to hold him off until the police arrived. All the guy had to do was close his eyes and just walk over to the wheelchair and he would've been fine. And trying to throw him out the window? Come on, it was the second story and the worst that could've happened did, which was Stewart breaking his other leg. I was expecting a lot out of it because I enjoyed Psycho and I know that Hitchcock is supposed to be the master of suspense and twists. I was really disappointed by the whole story because it was obvious that the guy killed his wife all along, it was just a matter of getting some evidence. v:shobon:v

Skutter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 11, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Traveling Players, because, I dunno, because it's Greek.

I very much enjoyed The 400 Blows, I found it very touching and engaging. The story was good and I really liked the kid that played Antoine. His buddy Rene was great too. I can't help but feel, though, that I'm missing something, that there's a greater lesson to have been learned from the film. But either way, teriffic movie.

New List:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonini, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Persona IhaveneverseenanIngmarBergmanfilm. :ohdear:

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

tokillthesunflower posted:

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.
Very solid movie, hopefully you feel the same way.

I hate myself for never seeing Aliens before this because it is somehow superior to its predecessor. Really a very solid all around movie that has a ton of rewatch value. It'll be in line with the Arnie classics and Rambo as movies I'll flip on whenever I get the chance. Stellar movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Finished watching Deer Hunter yesterday and was blown away. Such a tragic film about how the war affected people. I had another thread going about your favourite moments in cinema and I'd like to change my tensest moment to the Russian roulette scenes. Absolutely captivating.

Whenever I've finished watching a film I like to go and look at some of the trivia on imdb and this had some crackers. Apparently the director basically dared Christopher Walken to spit in De Niro's face and De Niro's reaction is pretty much real. He threatened to walk off set.

Anyway, marionblack get busy living and go and watch Shawshank Redemption now for the love of God!

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard - Know nothing about this film.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

tokillthesunflower posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Traveling Players, because, I dunno, because it's Greek.

This movie feels longer than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Skutter posted:

I never found it intense or suspenseful at all. I actually started laughing when Jimmy Stewart was trying to blind the guy with the flash bulbs as a way to hold him off until the police arrived. All the guy had to do was close his eyes and just walk over to the wheelchair and he would've been fine. And trying to throw him out the window? Come on, it was the second story and the worst that could've happened did, which was Stewart breaking his other leg. I was expecting a lot out of it because I enjoyed Psycho and I know that Hitchcock is supposed to be the master of suspense and twists. I was really disappointed by the whole story because it was obvious that the guy killed his wife all along, it was just a matter of getting some evidence. v:shobon:v
I think the problem is its imitators have ruined Rear Window for you. Rear Window is fantastic, if you try to put yourself in that 1950s seeing-this-for-the-first-time mindset. Let me ask you something: Didn't you find the subplot about Grace Kelly trying to prove to her boyfriend that she was a sissy by putting herself in increasingly dangerous situations tragic? No modern woman would do that, but I'd like to think Hitch (and his screenwriter) intentionally wove in subversive feminist commentary.

In fact, without that subplot, I can't imagine how Rear Window would work, which makes me wonder how the Christopher Reeve remake handles it.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Let me ask you something: Didn't you find the subplot about Grace Kelly trying to prove to her boyfriend that she was a sissy by putting herself in increasingly dangerous situations tragic? No modern woman would do that, but I'd like to think Hitch (and his screenwriter) intentionally wove in subversive feminist commentary.

I didn't find it tragic. I thought it was great that he included that in his writing. It was very different for the times, which I can appreciate. Especially the fact that he had her and the nurse climb a fence while wearing dresses, had them digging around in a garden for a dead body and then had Kelly climb up the side of a building and break into the killer's apartment. Crazy for the times. It's funny you mention all that because I was talking about that with my husband last night (seeing it all before so you don't enjoy the original) and I don't think that has anything to do with it. I can appreciate the old stuff just as well as the new; I just didn't like the movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Skutter posted:

I didn't find it tragic. I thought it was great that he included that in his writing. It was very different for the times, which I can appreciate. Especially the fact that he had her and the nurse climb a fence while wearing dresses, had them digging around in a garden for a dead body and then had Kelly climb up the side of a building and break into the killer's apartment. Crazy for the times. It's funny you mention all that because I was talking about that with my husband last night (seeing it all before so you don't enjoy the original) and I don't think that has anything to do with it. I can appreciate the old stuff just as well as the new; I just didn't like the movie.
Well, fair's fair. I certainly don't like 100% of the IMDb Top 250.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

mikewozere posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.
Watch 2001, it's good.

Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle was an impressively crafted character. Even with his violent instability it's hard to really hate the guy and for most of it I just felt bad for him. The ending was difficult, but it's interesting to see him as a sort of hero when as the audience we saw the first intended victim of his outburst and realize how differently it almost went. It's not just the seedy part of the city that's hosed up.

Updated list:

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

The Seventh Seal - Haven't seen any Bergman and this one sounds interesting. I'm guessing I'll be adding several more of his to the list after I watch this one.

Breathless - I should probably see some Godard at some point too.

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

Over the course of this thread I've been recommended and watched the following: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Paris Texas, Ben Hur, Taxi Driver

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 13, 2010

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FancyMike posted:

Watch 2001, it's good.

Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle was an impressively crafted character. Even with his violent instability it's hard to really hate the guy and for most of it I just felt bad for him. The ending was difficult, but it's interesting to see him as a sort of hero when as the audience we saw the first intended victim of his outburst and realize how differently it almost went. It's not just the seedy part of the city that's hosed up.

Updated list:

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

The Seventh Seal - Haven't seen any Bergman and this one sounds interesting. I'm guessing I'll be adding several more of his to the list after I watch this one.

Breathless - I should probably see some Godard at some point too.

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

Seen from the thread: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Paris Texas, Ben Hur, Taxi Driver

I'm confused as to the last part of your list, but if I picked from that, you need to watch Raging Bull. One of the greatest films out there. If you've seen the ones at the bottom, then you should watch Andrei Rublev. Tarkovsky has done nothing but great films and you won't be disappointed.

My shameful list:
=================

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I've simply never gotten around to seeing it.

Casablanca - The reason I haven't seen this is because of being nagged to see it by my parents. But I know it's considered one of the best films ever made.

Citizen Kane - Same as above.

Vertigo - I'm still not sure why I haven't seen it yet.

The Last Temptation of Christ - I believe this is the only Scorsese film I've never seen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Skutter posted:

The scene where Grace Kelly is digging around the apartment and the guy's coming to the door and Jimmy Stewart is just watching is the closest I've come to throwing up at a movie. Like it was just so sickening. UNreal

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Swartz posted:

My shameful list:
=================

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I've simply never gotten around to seeing it.

Casablanca - The reason I haven't seen this is because of being nagged to see it by my parents. But I know it's considered one of the best films ever made.

Citizen Kane - Same as above.

Vertigo - I'm still not sure why I haven't seen it yet.

The Last Temptation of Christ - I believe this is the only Scorsese film I've never seen.

Unfortunately I also haven't seen much of your list, so you get to see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly a great western, and you'll need the fun action movie to prepare yourself for the rest of your list. Also, how often do you get to see a movie with dubbed english that's a classic?

I don't really have a shame list, so I'm going to do a mix of the imdb top 250 I haven't seen and some well-received modern flicks I passed on. I haven't watched many movies lately and haven't enjoyed one for even longer, so I'd really like to fix that.

Inception - Both a modern and on the top 250. I hear it's sort of like Memento? I don't know, I haven't read much on it. The last time modern and top 250 have aligned like this was with The Dark Knight, and I really enjoyed it.

Casablanca - Look, I'm not a film major. I watched 12 angry men, seven samurai, and a few other black and white movies and was bored. I like a lot of mindless films the rest of you probably wouldn't be caught dead watching. The only reason I'm listing it here is because it's considered the greatest b&w movie of all time, but I REALLY don't think I'll enjoy it. On the plus side, it means I've seen the top 15 on this imdb list (and liked all of them, except for 12 angry and seven samurai as I mentioned).

City of God - Never heard of it, looks emotional

Citizen Kane - Supposed to be Orson Welles' masterpiece, same deal as Casablanca.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - I'll probably see this anyway since I like highly stylized visuals. It's also really polarized in reception, and I tend to like movies like that.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Apparently great, but released during a time I wasn't watching movies.

Saw - Apparently now a classic horror film, I never saw it because it just seemed like a vessel for gratuitous violence, but it's one of those films I keep seeing references to, so maybe it's good?

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Apparently great, just didn't go see it.

Year One - I wanted to see it, but apparently terrible. Guess I'll finish up this list with it to see if anyone makes me watch a bomb.

Please try to view my list through the lenses of not-a-film-buff and give me something I'll enjoy :shobon:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That is the single most random list in this thread. Scott Pilgrim isn't even out yet!

Not making fun; just marveling in its randomness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not a bad list at all (year one aside, do not see year one)

i'd recommend something, but Bicycle Thieves still needs to be unpacked from self-storage :saddowns:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Kassoon, watch City of God. It's good. But if you don't like movies like 12 Angry Men and Seven Samurai, I don't know what you're doing in a film forum.

Harvey What a charmer. I love the lengths they go to keeping Harvey in frame, and "I thought you were dead" is one of the funniest goddamn greetings I've ever heard. This is one of those ones that cures a Sunday morning hangover.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Ugetsu Monogatari I don't know, someone make me watch this.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey

penismightier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 13, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dang, I wanted to make him watch Casablanca. But I like you, so I'll recommend M Hulot's Holiday. A Criterion Blu-Ray is rumored (and likely) to be arriving soon, but drat, it's just such a charming film anyways. If you're like me and want to hold out for a possible Blu-Ray, then see Blow-Up.

Saw The Apartment (while waiting for The French Connection to arrive), liked it a lot with a couple minor quibbles. Mostly I just wish that the characters had been more fleshed out. McClaine's character feels too much like a Manic Pixie Dream Girl whose motivations are shifted according to the whims of the screenwriter. It also doesn't do such a great job of balancing between reality and fantasy. Wilder never seems sure exactly how much of a satire he wants the insurance company to be, exactly how farcical he wants the actual dealings with the apartment itself to be, so on and so forth. However, it was released in 1960, and though these traitorous hallmarks of the era kind of damage the film, it's nevertheless totally sweet and totally well-made and occasionally totally well-written. I can't deny that it's a pretty swell film.

SCHANDE!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

STANDBY: Bicycle Thieves (hunting the Criterion disc)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

Despite all the bombs that Whoopi has made, there is a very specific reason why she is an EGOT winner. While she didn't win for her role here, she should have. Also, Danny Glover is fantastic. Even Oprah rocks the loving show. EVERYONE ROCKS THIS MOVIE. Enjoy!....poo poo. Think I'm gonna have to go rewatch it now. HA!

I just finished watching The Graduate and it's a good. It's really a simple story, but what really got me was just how great the cinematography was. The shots in that movie really conveyed the emotion of the scene very well. From awkward angles to tension filled long shots, the whole thing had a very expressive tone. Dustin Hoffman, while stonefaced for most of the movie, was superb. He had so much expression in his eyes. It's no wonder he became a big star.

Here's my updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 13, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wow, after this it's just Baraka and Das Boot and I'll have seen my entire original list. I'll feel accomplished. Eventual thanks, internet!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Bodnoirbabe posted:

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.
This is worth a look whether you like Stallone or not. Really the great underdog movie.

I went into The Shawshank Redemption only knowing Morgan Freeman was in it and nothing else. Needless to say I'm still kind of in shock since I just got done watching it. All I can say is that it's one of the best movies I've seen (which appears to be a recurring theme here, but that's because I've been bad about watching movies). The story itself is amazing which I guess credit goes to King for that. It's really flawless in my mind. Never a dull moment, and characters you really felt for. If any movie were to get a 10/10, this is the one.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List - Another film from the same period I don't know much about other than it's praise.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Kassoon's list is like a glimpse into the future 20 years from now when future goons that are being born now are posting their own lists.

EDIT- he even admits to being bored by black and white movies, holy poo poo.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People in 20 years aren't going to want to watch anything that isn't in immersive 3D, let alone black and white.

Marioinblack: I want to recommend just about all of those. But Back to the Future it is...pop culture value edges it in front.

I watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and despite some off-puting facial acting from Stewart (which Capra repeated with Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace), it was a great little film. I'm thinking Capra said to him "you need to look like a deer in the headlights" and to Stewart's credit, he looked exactly like a deer in the headlights during a few of the scenes. Well, regardless, the story was drat good (and a bit edgy at the time I imagine) and Claude Rains did his usual thing by stealing every scene he was in.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - David Lynch done good on this one I hear.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9
Elizabeth - Joseph Fiennes again? What the hell is going on.

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Arkane fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 13, 2010

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

marioinblack posted:

I went into The Shawshank Redemption only knowing Morgan Freeman was in it and nothing else. Needless to say I'm still kind of in shock since I just got done watching it. All I can say is that it's one of the best movies I've seen (which appears to be a recurring theme here, but that's because I've been bad about watching movies). The story itself is amazing which I guess credit goes to King for that. It's really flawless in my mind. Never a dull moment, and characters you really felt for. If any movie were to get a 10/10, this is the one.

How did you feel when it was revealed he'd been digging out and hadn't killed himself? I can scarcely remember the first time I watched this film now and was just wondering what reaction you had. Every-time I watch it now, I know it's coming so I can never regain that first virginal viewing. What were your thoughts?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have sort of stopped watching movies in the last couple of year, I just never feel like it and now it is time for a change! Thank to this thread I will force myself to watch movies that I will (hopefully) love every minute of.

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring]
No real excuse here.

5. M
We were going to watch it in film class but I was sick that day so I never got around to it.

6. Metropolis
Had it for the longest time, never watched it.

7. Rashômon
I really enjoy the few (Two) Kurosawa I have seen and this is what I really want to see next and then eventually all of them.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Let The Right One In
Really ashamed of this one. Had it for the longest time too.

E: Arkane, watch The Elephant Man. I haven't seen many Lynch, but this one really stuck with me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I'm going to recommend von Braun watches Rashomon because it owns.

Watched Breathless. I liked it and can certainly see how important it was at the time but for some reason it didn't grab me. Didn't really feel any connection to any of the characters. I'm sure I'll catch a few more Godard films but not with any great urgency.

Revised list:

The 400 Blows - I think I'll probably get on with Truffaut better than Godard and yet haven't seen anything of his besides his American movie.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

krupa
Apr 27, 2006
I know these are pretty much the standards, but ive only started to appreciate film in the past few months so I have a lot of catching up to do.

8 1/2

The Seven Samurai

Battleship Potemkin

Bicycle Thieves

The Godfather Part II
- I actually have this but I wasnt crazy about part I so i havent gotten around to it.

Lawrence of Arabia

Raging Bull

Rashomon

Apocalypse Now

Chinatown

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You need to recommend me something from my list, krupa.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

mikewozere posted:

How did you feel when it was revealed he'd been digging out and hadn't killed himself? I can scarcely remember the first time I watched this film now and was just wondering what reaction you had. Every-time I watch it now, I know it's coming so I can never regain that first virginal viewing. What were your thoughts?
I got the idea he might not kill himself just because that was the type of person he was, but I had no goddamn idea that it all led to that. However, I really didn't know what the hell would happen overall and that was about the last thing I expected.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

krupa posted:

I know these are pretty much the standards, but ive only started to appreciate film in the past few months so I have a lot of catching up to do.

8 1/2

The Seven Samurai

Battleship Potemkin

Bicycle Thieves

The Godfather Part II
- I actually have this but I wasnt crazy about part I so i havent gotten around to it.

Lawrence of Arabia

Raging Bull

Rashomon

Apocalypse Now

Chinatown

This is a good list, but could you add some insight into WHY you've never seen these movies or at least what your expectations are, feelings about the movie, anything? It helps with the selection process when someone picks for you.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I'm going to invoke the OP's rule and recommend movies for both of you.

Noxville, I haven't seen any of your movies, but you get Barry Lyndon because I haven't seen it for the same reasons as you, and frankly I'm sending you in ahead of me. :v:

krupa, you get Seven Samurai, since it's a better intro to Kurosawa than Rashomon. You really should list reasons why you haven't seen each movie, though; it gives more to go on for recommendations.

I just finished Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and I thought it was great. It really did everything right. There was a lot of well-done action and humor. It was interesting seeing a 60s Western that didn't involve either Leone or John Wayne. Burt Bacharach is certainly not the kind of composer you'd ever mistake for Ennio Morricone. Katharine Ross is now tied with Claudia Cardinale as the hottest and most talented actress I've seen in a Western.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Laura
Full Metal Jacket
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Apocalypse Now: I've been trying to avoid information about this movie as much as possible since I keep meaning to watch it. Any movie that almost killed Martin Sheen has to be pretty intense.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Blue Velvet: I've seen a respectable amount of Lynch stuff, but I haven't seen this one. I don't think I have the stomach for Eraserhead, so this is my next choice.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Tombstone: I've never seen this all the way through, even though I always did like Westerns. I haven't seen Wyatt Earp all the way through either, but where that was boring and weighed down by Kevin Costner, this always looked decidedly more interesting.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

CloseFriend, you get to watch Apocalypse Now, and again: try to avoid Redux.

I watched Amadeus, and sure enough it was amazing. The music, the sets, and F. Murray Abraham’s great performance practically sold the movie on their own. Incredibly engaging for a 3-hour film. 9.7/10

My Shameful List:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock.

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I figured I'd start with this.

4. Tokyo Story – It's the same with Ozu films.

5. Metropolis – I haven’t seen that many silent films and this one intrigues me the most.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? – I really dig the Coen Brothers and I’ve heard lots of good things about this one

7. Rear Window – Like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas, just haven’t got around to see it.

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

10. The Conformist – Criticker says I’ll give it a 100, might as well check it out.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.4, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0, The Trial – 9.6, Amadeus – 9.7

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

The Netflix DVD is 179 minutes, which isn't the length of the theatrical cut or Redux. Does anybody know which cut this is? Wikipedia didn't seem to have an answer and I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

The Netflix DVD is 179 minutes, which isn't the length of the theatrical cut or Redux. Does anybody know which cut this is? Wikipedia didn't seem to have an answer and I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Netflix has "The Complete Dossier Edition", which has both versions together split across 2 discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Nroo, watch M because you already own it you silly goose.

I watched It's a Wonderful Life. I love James Stewart and I thought the movie was very funny, and George's fall into despair was believable. I was annoyed by the constant barrage of optimism and sentimentality, and it was a little mind-numbing but I've heard that that's what Capra is all about so I accept it I guess. The story is so familiar I was surprised at how much of the movie I recognized even thought I've never seen the movie before.

And oops, I watched American History X because gently caress da rulez :smug:
I really enjoyed Norton's performance, and Furlong's (who knew that would happen!), but the ending made me confused because it seems like the racism was somewhat justified and I just didn't like that. I'll never see the fat dude from Mallrats/My Name is Earl the same way again, haha.

~New List~

1. Shane
Oh boy I do love westerns, I just haven't gotten around to this classic.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. The Deer Hunter
I can't believe I haven't seen this. I don't even know much about it aside from Walken and Di Nero.
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

6. The Killing
I'm running out of Kubrick films to see honestly, and this seems like the next logical step!
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

8. Vacancy
Sort of a weird addition to my list, but I really like Luke Wilson and I recently watched Kontroll so I kinda love Nimrod Antal now. I'll eventually see Armored and Predators (i've heard mixed things about both, I reeeally liked Kontroll).
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Sunset Blvd.
I really liked Double Indemnity and this movie is more highly acclaimed so why not?
American History X

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

Do your worst.