Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fire posted:

Is this legal? I thought internet radio had to pay outrageous taxes and fees (to the RIAA, not the artists) above and beyond what commercial broadcasters had to pay.

Yes, move along, nothing to see here. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Jonnty posted:

Had you recently voted or commented?

Yes, that happened during a bit where I was slightly more active, and I was both voting and commenting. Do you suppose that's the cause?

Fire posted:

Is this legal? I thought internet radio had to pay outrageous taxes and fees (to the RIAA, not the artists) above and beyond what commercial broadcasters had to pay.

Assuming it's hosted in the US, anyway. Best of luck to the RIAA on collecting fees for foreign broadcasts.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Tube posted:

Yes, that happened during a bit where I was slightly more active, and I was both voting and commenting. Do you suppose that's the cause?

Yes. Basically, the AJAX downloads new every X seconds, however to ensure comments don't get out of order, every comment (and vote actually) sent using the thing at the bottom receives a response containing your comment along with any others posted before it. Sometimes, the regular refresh and your comment can overlap, sending the same information about the last received data, and so receive the same data back, causing the duplication you see.

There's a relatively straightforward fix, but I'm lazy.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Tube posted:

Assuming it's hosted in the US, anyway. Best of luck to the RIAA on collecting fees for foreign broadcasts.

:sweden:

VVV Yeah, when I play the ghetto stream in winamp, it shows some oldies/blues compilation cover that I cant quite make out. It's pulling it from a cache somewhere

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 13, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
On the subject of scrobbling, and addressing whoever said earlier that the Ghetto stream was showing album art but not gbs-fm's:

You can scrobble the live stream, at least in foobar, using the unofficial foobar scrobbler from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/fb2k.html

However, you don't want to do it with gbs-fm because we are not sending the metadata that contains the artist and song title through the stream in the "standard" (there isn't actually a standard) way - we send "artist (album) - track [blame user]" which causes the scrobbler to get confused and send weird artist and track names to last.fm that it can't interpret.

It is the same problem with media players - ghettoradio isn't sending album art, your media player is finding it based on the artist and track name itself.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo this is awesome! Cheers guys.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Dear goon who uploaded Rodeohead.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

Love,
Me.

(I'm so glad this thing is back. I had it running 24/7 during my years at university - makes for great background music for essay-writing marathons.)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Uploader: Fistgrrl

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Little tip: if you hover over the adder on the playlist, it displays the user who uploaded the dong.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The weekend DJs have started on Ghettoradio and as promised, I'm making GBS threads up the internet RIGHT NOW! Tune in.

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Doctor Zero posted:

The weekend DJs have started on Ghettoradio and as promised, I'm making GBS threads up the internet RIGHT NOW! Tune in.

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls
i tuned in and immediately got rickrolled. Awesome.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Little tip: if you hover over the adder on the playlist, it displays the user who uploaded the dong.

:aaaaa: How have I been using this site for more than a year without ever noticing that?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Charlie Mopps posted:

i tuned in and immediately got rickrolled. Awesome.

Can't say I lied. :haw:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Beelzebozo posted:

That's going to be a problem. For a start, no, we don't want both artists in the artist field because the system will stick that one song on its own artist page thinking that all that text is the artist. We have a Composer field (read from the ID3 Composer on upload, if present) that we have been using for the original performer (unsemantically, this is not always the same as the composer, which is usually a person's name rather than a band's name; don't list the person here). However, unless you want to retag each song as it uploads to change to this format, you won't be able to dump that 20 gigs into the FTP upload. There is also the issue, as was already mentioned, that much of what you upload will be duplicates, that the moderation team will have to track down and hand-merge. Why not just upload and retag your favorites as you wish to enqueue them?

Roger that, I figured the idea was to build a big rear end database of music and I was going to go through and upload the collection over time while checking. Frankly it's easier to just put some of the more notable ones up and that's what I'll do. Starting with Moby's cover of Creep...

Jibo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 14, 2010

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Regarding covers, the eventual plan is to have some kind of searchable keyword field on each dong, where tags such as original artist can be inserted. That way, a search for a particular artist will also catch cover versions if the original artist is listed in the keywords.

Until then, I don't really know how to handle it.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

golden_appel posted:

Regarding covers, the eventual plan is to have some kind of searchable keyword field on each dong, where tags such as original artist can be inserted. That way, a search for a particular artist will also catch cover versions if the original artist is listed in the keywords.

Until then, I don't really know how to handle it.

Could have an 'original artist' field. If it's left blank or NULL then its not a cover

BurgerPimp
Jul 10, 2010
This is so awesome. I wasn't around for the first version of this, but this is just amazing. I'm constantly listening to music, and just having my iPod gets a bit old.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Cuddly Coach posted:

Could have an 'original artist' field. If it's left blank or NULL then its not a cover

It's a bit up for debate at the moment. We could add specific fields like this (until someone asks for a field we haven't added) or go for a generic keyword field, or a generic keyword field plus flags that mark a dong as a cover/remix/alternate version.

It really comes down to which option makes it easiest to search for dongs to add to the playlist; we're not trying to build a comprehensive music database with all the fields something like ID3 has.

Xile
Nov 25, 2005

On the Seventh Day he made the Whopper.
This is loving excellent. :neckbeard:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I'm already uploading all my favorite poo poo for everyone to listen to and vote into the ground. This + the Mike Nelson thread made this day fantastic even though I'm horribly sick! :buddy:

e: Okay, uploading one at a time is an exercise in frustration. I'm trying to use Filezilla to connect via FTP but I'm getting an authentication error. Should I not be using my username and pass from the site?

Dice Dingus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 14, 2010

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm totally going to try and put a show together.

i ended up actually doing this with ghettoradio and it was really fun as poo poo. if you have any music you think people should hear please please go be a dj.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i ended up actually doing this with ghettoradio and it was really fun as poo poo. if you have any music you think people should hear please please go be a dj.

I loved your show Dylan, it made my drive home smooth and bluesy.

Also, next time play more Muddy Waters.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Atonal Batman growling is never good, goons.

Lots of other good music, though!

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Keatonguy posted:

I'm already uploading all my favorite poo poo for everyone to listen to and vote into the ground. This + the Mike Nelson thread made this day fantastic even though I'm horribly sick! :buddy:

e: Okay, uploading one at a time is an exercise in frustration. I'm trying to use Filezilla to connect via FTP but I'm getting an authentication error. Should I not be using my username and pass from the site?

From the gbs.fm main page, "If you can't log in to FTP and you have spaces in your name, use a _ instead. If not, and you just regged its a bug we know about and are working on it".

Sadly I don't know the details of exactly what the problem is, but I know it's a priority fix.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Anyone who registers after the FTP server was last restarted, cannot use it (until it's restarted again). That's the issue, I think.

aSSbAG.
Apr 10, 2005

Somethingawful's MAD Trucker

Jibo posted:

Starting with Moby's cover of Creep...

Take a piss on the Mona Lisa while you're at it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Entropist posted:

Anyone who registers after the FTP server was last restarted, cannot use it (until it's restarted again). That's the issue, I think.

Edit2: I thought I had another issue, but it turns out it was just that I'm dumb at using FTP or something. Windows Explorer works fine for me.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

This is pretty cool, I've already discovered a new artist. :) Also uploaded Fuzzbox by Section Quartet and Swim to the Moon by Between The Buried And Me (before seeing in this thread that songs over 10 minutes aren't cool- Swim to the Moon is just under 18 minutes of awesome).

Oh, and the Illbleed credits theme. Of course.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 14, 2010

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

aSSbAG. posted:

Oh just you wait...

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

aSSbAG. posted:

Yes, Radiohead's lead single is like a priceless work of art that has survived hundred of years and is still the single most famous painting ever that has been widely discussed for a long period of time that displays incredible technique and talent not only in depiction, but style. And yes, an artist of a different style reworking a song is like desecrating a piece intentionally for no reason other than to ruin it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Speakign of desecration, my industrial show, Absolute Zero will be on Ghetto Radio in a little over an hour (12central/1eastern). http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

aSSbAG.
Apr 10, 2005

Somethingawful's MAD Trucker

trans fat posted:

Yes, Radiohead's lead single is like a priceless work of art that has survived hundred of years and is still the single most famous painting ever that has been widely discussed for a long period of time that displays incredible technique and talent not only in depiction, but style. And yes, an artist of a different style reworking a song is like desecrating a piece intentionally for no reason other than to ruin it.

Glad you understand :v:

Seriously though, I'm pretty open minded but that moby cover was godawful.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Not as awful as Radiohead! :v:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you are using Boxee (It's htpc media center software) you can also listen to the stream, but you need to do a bit of fiddling.

1. Go the Shoutcast Radio app in Boxee and add one of the stations as a favourite, doesn't matter what, we're going to remove it anyway. Now quit Boxee

2. Edit the file C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\BOXEE\userdata\profiles\<profile>\apps\shout\registry.xml (This is where it is on Windows 7, Vista/XP will be slightly different) with notepad and change the text between the <value> html tags to: http://gbs.fm:8080/listen.pls|GBS-FM

3. Save. Start Boxee and now gbs-fm is there as a favourite in the shoutcast app, you can't vote or anything but you can listen to the stream!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Doctor Zero posted:

Speakign of desecration, my industrial show, Absolute Zero will be on Ghetto Radio in a little over an hour (12central/1eastern). http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls
I recommend listening to this, it's pretty cool.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It is now time for my show, also on http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

Maybe you'll like it?

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

trans fat posted:

plese dont trole

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any penalty for intentionally adding poop? I'm not even talking genres, but rather, someone who adds a 10 minute long song, that is of such poor quality to be universally in bad taste.

like this

http://gbs.fm/song/14120

Its mismatched beats with some guy muttering about raping babies. Its very amateurish, if not intentionally annoying.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I missed GBS-FM...I managed to find a lot of new music back in the day, so hooray!

EDIT: So wait - http://gbsfm.info/ apparently still exists. What is it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Fire posted:

Is there any penalty for intentionally adding poop? I'm not even talking genres, but rather, someone who adds a 10 minute long song, that is of such poor quality to be universally in bad taste.

like this

http://gbs.fm/song/14120

Its mismatched beats with some guy muttering about raping babies. Its very amateurish, if not intentionally annoying.

He's saying "I'm a raver, baby, so why don't you kill me?" Please do not accuse me of condoning paedophilia.

• Locked thread