Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

Leperflesh posted:

The classical music section is woefully inadequate. I've not got an enormous collection myself, and there's a lot of stuff that's going to be over 11 minutes, but I am aiming to upload a fair amount of stuff.

But before I do...

It seems the current standard is to label pieces according to composer and title, and generally not include anything about performer. I can understand the desire not to have 16 different symphonic performances of a particular dong, but I'm wondering if there's any particular standard that's preferred?

E.g., should it be possible to search by 'Rostropovich' or 'Yo-yo Ma'? Or only by 'J. S. Bach'?

Oh, also, it'd be great if goons settled on just one of the following: J.S. Bach, J. S. Bach, JS Bach, J S Bach, Johan Sebastian Bach.

yes I am going to force you goons to listen to classical music get used to the idea you have no choice in the matter
Looks like the old station went with the full Johan Sebastian Bach as the Artist name and the Performer/ance details in the Album field.

Cemetry Gator posted:

So the goon solution to differing music tastes is basically induce the Stockholm syndrome musically?
This is p much the best description of GBS FM to date.

Speaking of the Old Station, didn't we used to have a bunch of rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The classical music section is woefully inadequate. I've not got an enormous collection myself, and there's a lot of stuff that's going to be over 11 minutes, but I am aiming to upload a fair amount of stuff.

But before I do...

It seems the current standard is to label pieces according to composer and title, and generally not include anything about performer. I can understand the desire not to have 16 different symphonic performances of a particular dong, but I'm wondering if there's any particular standard that's preferred?

E.g., should it be possible to search by 'Rostropovich' or 'Yo-yo Ma'? Or only by 'J. S. Bach'?

Oh, also, it'd be great if goons settled on just one of the following: J.S. Bach, J. S. Bach, JS Bach, J S Bach, Johan Sebastian Bach.

I've been putting the performer as the artist and putting the composer in the composer slot. So far no one's complained, and it seems a lot of people who upload classical do the same, while others go the composer = artist route. As for goons having bad tags, that happens in all genres and the only way to fix it is to edit the dong data.

the classical cabal will prevail

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

I was a GBS FM user even before registering here. It was glorious, and happily the replacement was up and running sooner than you know. :ssh:

Now we need you and your dongs again. We need more classical and more awesome, but search before uploading as dupes are nobody's friend! If it's an obscure remix or an otherwise different version, tag them properly. Thanks!

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Registered, uploading some filthy poo poo right now.

What the hell is this schpongle stuff playing at the moment?

Right so I added a tune to the playlist, says the playlist is 10 hours long, does that mean my song will play in 10 hours or is it random?

nattrass fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 15, 2010

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

The playlist plays in order, just like a Jukebox so yes, your dong will play in 10+ hours.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Radio PhoolCat posted:

The playlist plays in order, just like a Jukebox so yes, your dong will play in 10+ hours.

Nice!

This is loving excellent, cheers guys!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gyre posted:

I've been putting the performer as the artist and putting the composer in the composer slot.
Yeah, this makes the most sense to me. We have a shiny new "composer" slot in this incarnation of the station, might as well use it. As long as it can be included in the default search eventually.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Jetsetlemming posted:

David Bowie owns, Beep Beep.
Edit: Woah, Cake covering War Pigs. Best cover by far I've heard on gbs.fm so far

You obviously missed Pink Floyd's Hey You, sung to the tune of Outkast's Hey Ya.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Category Fun! posted:

You obviously missed Pink Floyd's Hey You, sung to the tune of Outkast's Hey Ya.

...which is Goon music! :)(magnificent7). His cover of Sweet Transvestitite done James Brown/Sean Connery style is really good too.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Glad to see this get launched!

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Fistgrrl posted:

...which is Goon music! :)(magnificent7). His cover of Sweet Transvestitite done James Brown/Sean Connery style is really good too.

Which is why I couldn't find it on youtube! Does he have a website?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Fuschia tude posted:

As long as it can be included in the default search eventually.

This is kind of important, because if someone knows they like stuff by some group, they currently have no way of finding all of the dongs where that group is listed as the composer. And there are a number of examples of this disconnect among the songs on gbsfm.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

DaWolfey posted:

http://gbs.fm

(You could at least try and read the OP)
You misunderstood. I got that the new site was at gbs.fm...I was wondering what/why the old site existed. Thanks to everyone else who got what I said (and managed to not get all pious about it while simultaneous misunderstanding the question).

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Sasquatch! posted:

You misunderstood. I got that the new site was at gbs.fm...I was wondering what/why the old site existed.

Ah right, I guess I did misunderstand. Kalleboo just never took the old site down is all. The stream went off, and that was it. You can still login and read all the old comments and forum if you like.
He later started randomly rot13ing forum posts too

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Talas posted:

Well, it worked for "Hot in the Airport".

http://www.student.unimelb.edu.au/jdb/yb.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y.Bhekhirst

It's quite interesting actually, nobody knows who the artist really is.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 15, 2010

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Daimo posted:

http://www.student.unimelb.edu.au/jdb/yb.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y.Bhekhirst

It's quite interesting actually, nobody knows who the artist really is.
That's ok, he will always live in our hearts :)

BalthCat
Aug 11, 2010

helopticor posted:

This is kind of important, because if someone knows they like stuff by some group, they currently have no way of finding all of the dongs where that group is listed as the composer. And there are a number of examples of this disconnect among the songs on gbsfm.

Absolutely, the goal of having a composer field is so that classical music can be properly supported. The GBSfm search is definitely a work in progress, and will have composer search in time. (As well as genre.) The question remains whether using the fields as labelled is adequate for users in the meantime. You won't be able to find composers for a while, as this is not one of the highest priority improvements.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but how about showing what time a dong in the playlist is going to play.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

skander posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but how about showing what time a dong in the playlist is going to play.
Old GBSFM had this, and the overall plan is to reimplement as much of its functionality as possible. It's not particularly high on the agenda, but we're aware of it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm playing my second show ever right now on GhettoRadio!

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

All blues at The Chicken Shack

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm playing my second show ever right now on GhettoRadio!

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

All blues at The Chicken Shack

If anyone's debating whether or not to listen to his show: do it. Incredulous Dylan has an awesome collection of blues. Both his shows I've listened to so far have been good, in fact.

It seems like the return of GBS-FM is getting a lot of attention in this thread, which makes sense given that's sort of the point. But really, if the natural inclination of goons to put irritating songs on is bothering you (and this seems to be a common complaint here), the DJed shows at GhettoRadio are a great solution to that problem.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So thank you forever for the wookie nookie song.

I LIKE FROSTYS
Sep 11, 2001

A good drink.
EDIT, too much details.

I LIKE FROSTYS fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 10, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

M R CRACKER you are quite the card!

Also, oops, I hosed up. Is there any way to edit the tags on a bunch of songs after they've been uploaded?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

M R CRACKER posted:

If you have room I want to try out for a show. I have a few show ideas, you can pick one, or I can rotate them for variety.

There's plenty of room on the Ghetto schedule. Just have a look on the DJ page and pick a slot!

M R CRACKER posted:

Cat Time

I think we both know this is the winner.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also, oops, I hosed up. Is there any way to edit the tags on a bunch of songs after they've been uploaded?
Yup. On the song page, click the left-most icon at the top. It'll have to be approved so may not appear immediately.

edit: because I can't resist, just have to post some of the comments for the wonderful Diamanda Galas:

Goons posted:

Jesus Christ
the fuuuuuuck
holy poo poo
not what i expected
this is loving incredible, i have never heard anything like this
Sounds like she just destroyed her vocal cords
My god. This is amazing.
I just tuned in to a woman piercing my ears. What in the gently caress is this.
what the gently caress is going on
holy loving poo poo
nooo
I love you guys!

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 15, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Yup. On the song page, click the left-most icon at the top. It'll have to be approved so may not appear immediately.

They don't have to be approved if it's on a song you uploaded, and they get approved fairly quickly if it's on a song that was uploaded by someone else.

Speaking of that, being able to sort my uploaded songs by artist and album instead of just by song title would be nice, down the road.

NewAgeRetroHippie
Oct 25, 2007

New Age Retro Hippie uses Toothbrush!
Curse you, DaWolfey! I was going to queue that exact same song! (Camel - Freefall) :argh:

edit: Actually, pleasantly surprised to see there's another Camel fan here.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NewAgeRetroHippie posted:

Curse you, DaWolfey! I was going to queue that exact same song! (Camel - Freefall) :argh:

edit: Actually, pleasantly surprised to see there's another Camel fan here.

Hehe, i've been slowly getting into prog - I've been playing various albums during my show each week for nearly a year now (There is a thread on the Ghetto forums with a list).
There are some awesome bands that i've found so far - Camel I really like as well as The Enid (which I played earlier), Magma, Henry Cow...

Add some of your favourites and lets hear em!

NewAgeRetroHippie
Oct 25, 2007

Absolutely. Added Jethro Tull - Cold Wind in Valhalla this morning.

The only comment it got was:

:corsair:

Going to have to check out your show now, I'm a pretty big prog nerd.

Oh man, my song came on as I was typing this :ohdear:

edit: Found your thread, Wolfey. I like what I see as far as past shows go. You've got a new listener.

NewAgeRetroHippie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 16, 2010

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Oo official launch, I'll have to come check out what changes were made from the really early version from last winter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Congrats Eventh on uploading the absolute worst song on GBS.FM to date. (Katie Price and Peter Andre - A Whole New World)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Thank you, I've fixed my terrible mistakes and will never sin again.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

Camel
A Live Record is one of the best albums ever recorded. If you don't have it, order it right now. The second disc is The Snow Goose in its entirety, and it's way better than the studio version. They did one of the best live shows I've seen.

And no stupid crowd noise on the album either. Just a tiny bit of applause that you can barely hear, and only at the ends of the songs.

e: Actually that's a lie, but it's mixed way down. I'm listening to it now, and you can hear idiots clapping along. Selective memory.

Flyball fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 16, 2010

NewAgeRetroHippie
Oct 25, 2007

skander posted:

A Live Record is one of the best albums ever recorded. If you don't have it, order it right now. The second disc is The Snow Goose in its entirety, and it's way better than the studio version. They did one of the best live shows I've seen.

And no stupid crowd noise on the album either. Just a tiny bit of applause that you can barely hear, and only at the ends of the songs.

Going to have to agree on this. I'm also partial to Mirage and Rajaz, though all their albums I at least mostly enjoy. A Nod and a Wink would have to be my least favorite though, were I to pick one.

Added some Happy the Man to the GBS-FM queue. It should make some good morning music.

Prog... :allears:

the oinkinator
Dec 25, 2005
Well, it's been about 9 months since I last posted but I can't just lurk in this thread without giving credit where it's due; good job Jonnty (and everyone else involved in the project)! GBS.fm shall once again become part of my daily life!

Out of curiosity, as someone who used to be in web development, what platform/languages have you used?

The following might just sound like whining but I hope it's taken constructively..

It's been said a few pages back but I'll echo the idea of having an ETA column on the playlist page. That'd be handy and seems like a trivial addition.
A stats page would be a nice addition too - number of dongs/length/unique artists/albums, total filesize and whatnot.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A Live Record uploaded, except for Lady Fantasy, which is too long.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

skander posted:

A Live Record uploaded, except for Lady Fantasy, which is too long.

You can upload dongs that are over 11 minutes long, you just have to get a mod to unban them before you can add them. It's not likely to happen right now when the playlist is 12 hours long, but once things settle down they'll probably let you.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
Everyone listen to woodch's show on ghetto radio, and afterwards check me out. My first show so I'd like some feedback thanks. 9PM - 11PM Pacific Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Do albums with no songs get pruned eventually?

• Locked thread