Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stuart scott irl posted:

Honestly asking: What is so superior about the e-mail/messaging capabilities of the Blackberry? I only ever owned an iPod touch, so I can't speak to iOS4, but my Android device does Gmail, Google talk, and SMS spectacularly, and I just set up Exchange sync with my work e-mail and haven't had a problem with it yet. Previously I used a blackberry for my work e-mail and I haven't noticed significant differences. Admittedly I haven't tried AIM or other IM services with it yet, but I don't use them.

I've used Blackberry, Palm, Android and iOS in the past year. Fairly equal on all fronts, honestly I Android with Moxier Mail to be fairly equal. Palm would be if it could do exchange sync for more than just your inbox folder. And with the exception of BBM they all do really, really good Instant Messaging.

I liked my Blackberry, but I think everyone's point is if you're gonna pay $200+ for a phone, you might as well get the most for your money. I see a lot of business users try Android and return it because it just works slightly differently, but otherwise showing a person both Android and Blackberry, well its not much of a contest. Plus Android is by far winning the marketing front. Blackberry commercials lately have been awful.

Edit: Also, the question came up what does Android do better? One word: Notifications. I hate hate hate how current Blackberrys do notifications, i hate that there is no real way to mark all read (unless I missed something), and I it just does not sync with my gmail how I need it to. If I mark an email read on my phone, I want it marked read on my computer next time I check it and vice versa. Blackberry never does that. The fact that I have a tab on the top of Android that I can pull down and see all notifications is just fantastic. No more searching to see where I got a message (I hate unified inboxes too). There's a reason Blackberry very blatantly copied Android on BB 6 on the Torch.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Plus Android is by far winning the marketing front. Blackberry commercials lately have been awful.

There was a point when the carriers did all the advertising for them, especially Verizon BOGO. Now, they're desperately advertising their last remaining differentiating feature (outside of enterprise use)--BBM and a large social group of dedicated users. DOO-do-DOOT

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Careful with the exaggeration. Android phones didn't even exist two years ago, and the iPhone was less than stellar at that time.

I don't know when you consider the breaking point to be. We an iPhone 3G and a Bold 9000 at the same time in November 08, and having tried to do the same tasks on both of them I can tell the difference between them.

To me, it's about the architecture. I truly want to believe in Blackberry, but when I tell my Dad about apps that maximize the phone as a palmtop computer he responds with talk about memory leaks, limited storage space/resources, not being able to actually quit out of an app because everything launched more or less sits in the background, and pulling the battery in order to clear this stack of leaky apps. This isn't someone with "the bad model" or one wonky unit of a family of phones, this is an entire owners community collectively doing hard resets on a routine basis to compensate for software design flaws. That's just unacceptable for using a finished retail product within it's manufacturer-promoted feature scope.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

i hate that there is no real way to mark all read (unless I missed something)

In any inbox I'm pretty sure if you hit the BB button there's a mark all read option, it's been almost a year since I've used a BB though. As a former BB user, your post is spot on though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

big mean giraffe posted:

In any inbox I'm pretty sure if you hit the BB button there's a mark all read option, it's been almost a year since I've used a BB though. As a former BB user, your post is spot on though.

Yeah, I was about to post this, but then I remembered that doing that doesn't mark anything as read in my Gmail inbox. If I read each item individually, it will mark them as read in Gmail, but not if I "Mark all as read". :psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, I was about to post this, but then I remembered that doing that doesn't mark anything as read in my Gmail inbox. If I read each item individually, it will mark them as read in Gmail, but not if I "Mark all as read". :psyduck:

Have you tried the gmail app from google?

(I honestly don't remember if it has a 'mark all' option, though)

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I was just forced to take the leap from my old Samsung Omnia, to a BB Bold 9650. So far it's exciting, most everything I used to use on my Omnia is already here: AP Mobile, Skype, Google Stuff, etc. This makes the adjustment a little easier, though one thing I will miss about my Omnia, and WM6.1, was that it always felt like I was telling it what to do. With the BB OS, it kinda feels like I'm just picking from what it's telling me I can do, if that makes sense.

However, having said that, one huge reason I got it was for messaging, which is it's main selling point I know. Both my sister and my mother have BlackBerrys, so now that I have one, we are all able to communicate very rapidly. The same goes for a few friends who have BlackBerrys.

Overall, I don't think I will go back to the store and trade it for a Droid, because as of now, I'm pleased with the Bold. (also a $35 restocking fee)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know when you consider the breaking point to be. We an iPhone 3G and a Bold 9000 at the same time in November 08, and having tried to do the same tasks on both of them I can tell the difference between them.

I own a lot of Apple products, but not an iPhone. I could be wrong, but two things I can think of that the iPhone lacked at that time was a unified inbox and a way to copy/paste. And no MMS in the US? Plus I seemed to remember that the original and 3G versions had a relatively crappy battery.

I agree that the "pull the battery every day" thing is pretty weird. Although I used a Tour for a long time and never had to do that, so I just kind of ignored it.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about their OS, they can't just keep patching it forever, or they'll go the way of Palm (and I guess the 'traditional' WinMo). I suppose that's a side effect of being one of the first platforms to become popular.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blimpkin posted:

I was just forced to take the leap from my old Samsung Omnia, to a BB Bold 9650. So far it's exciting, most everything I used to use on my Omnia is already here: AP Mobile, Skype, Google Stuff, etc. This makes the adjustment a little easier, though one thing I will miss about my Omnia, and WM6.1, was that it always felt like I was telling it what to do. With the BB OS, it kinda feels like I'm just picking from what it's telling me I can do, if that makes sense.

However, having said that, one huge reason I got it was for messaging, which is it's main selling point I know. Both my sister and my mother have BlackBerrys, so now that I have one, we are all able to communicate very rapidly. The same goes for a few friends who have BlackBerrys.

Overall, I don't think I will go back to the store and trade it for a Droid, because as of now, I'm pleased with the Bold. (also a $35 restocking fee)

Haha for the record, I don't think anyone here will disagree by saying that Blackberry is a step up from Windows Mobile. Not a huge step, but a step up.

spog posted:

Have you tried the gmail app from google?

(I honestly don't remember if it has a 'mark all' option, though)

There probably is a "mark all read" option that I missed, but otherwise between notifications being hell to find and it not syncing properly, it drove me nuts. Also, it does not load up old emails, which i find baffling (the Google Voice app does load up old messages, but not the Gmail one last i checked).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 16, 2010

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I bought a Blackberry 8520 from Vodafone in Germany. I came back to the US and changed my service from Verizon to AT&T and got an AT&T sim card and started to use my Blackberry. I was able to convince the AT&T rep to not give me a data plan, my line of thought was that I live in a college town so WIFI is everywhere. I came on I turned on my WIFI, my phone can detect the WIFI but it can't connect. I can't get on the internet at all.

When I check my connections, the phone service has a green check, the wifi is detecting a network but it does not have a green check near the name.

What gives?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

I'll just submit that my opinion is the three biggest types of Blackberry users are:
1) Text messaging fiends who don't like touchscreens
2) People who are given them by their IT departments and are forced to stay on RIM because of encrypted email. Contrary to popular belief, some businesses actually do use BES instead of Exchange.
3) Patriotic Canadians who buy them for the same reason so many Americans buy GM cars and spend the product's lifetime bitching about it.

You forgot

4) Teenagers & college kids who don't want a touchscreen phone and/or whose parents don't want to pay "those smartphone fees" (you'll notice cognitive dissonance is a common theme in this thread)

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I guess I am sort of a #1 person but I like my blackberry a lot. The only great thing the iPhone has over the BB besides the higher res screen is a better browser.

Besides that I love my berry and I am only using a 8520 =\

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Captain Charisma posted:

parents don't want to pay "those smartphone fees" (you'll notice cognitive dissonance is a common theme in this thread)

How do they justify paying the Blackberry "smartphone fee"? It's the same price as any other smartphone, except you get the added benefit of not being able to make use of the same amount of features!

For the longest time, I just assumed that anyone who said they had a smartphone without the required data plan was simply lying. Do carriers seriously let you buy a smartphone without a data plan? Specifically with the BB, I've had a number of discussions with more technically inclined people who said a BB required a data plan because the BB phone is structured around data (push email / BBM, etc).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Enigma89 posted:

I guess I am sort of a #1 person but I like my blackberry a lot. The only great thing the iPhone has over the BB besides the higher res screen is a better browser.

Besides that I love my berry and I am only using a 8520 =\

And not-ridiculous hardware limitations. Blackberries can't even play more than one sound at a time, which absolutely kills games and plenty of media-oriented apps. And I'm on an 8530.

I do like this phone despite all my bitching about it, but that's because I'm on a cheap prepaid plan, which is one area where I can see them still legitimately thriving. On a major contract though, they're a ripoff for what you get compared to the competition. RIM has some things going for them but they need to step up the hardware NOW.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How do they justify paying the Blackberry "smartphone fee"? It's the same price as any other smartphone, except you get the added benefit of not being able to make use of the same amount of features!

As mentioned, cognitive dissonance. They don't check their bills. The "smartphone fee" has been demonized, whereas Blackberry is what all of those businessmen and Hollywood celebrities use so it must be just as good and not as expensive!!!! They just don't know that Blackberries have extra fees.

I just saw Verizon advertising the Curve next to featurephones from LG and Samsung so that should tell you about who is buying these things

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

I bought a Blackberry 8520 from Vodafone in Germany. I came back to the US and changed my service from Verizon to AT&T and got an AT&T sim card and started to use my Blackberry. I was able to convince the AT&T rep to not give me a data plan, my line of thought was that I live in a college town so WIFI is everywhere. I came on I turned on my WIFI, my phone can detect the WIFI but it can't connect. I can't get on the internet at all.

When I check my connections, the phone service has a green check, the wifi is detecting a network but it does not have a green check near the name.

What gives?

Try changing the settings in the browser to Hotspot Browser, something like that. Or your campus has some authentication or something, I don't know.

Very few BlackBerry apps will work without a data plan, even if you're on Wi-Fi. I think Palringo works if you want a decent IM client for your BlackBerry.

You can activate a BlackBerry without a data plan on T-Mobile, maybe even AT&T. You just have to bring your own. I've got a BlackBerry on my mom's line with no data plan, she just uses it for texting. I also know a lot of people on Pearls without data plans that are on AT&T. But that was before AT&T mandated data plans on their smartphones.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sethsez posted:

RIM has some things going for them but they need to step up the hardware NOW.

All the roadmaps I've seen... they don't have poo poo on the horizon right now. The Torch was the big release this year, and that hosed up new flip phone thats coming out.

There's rumors of a 4G phone called Triton, which may or may not be the Storm 3, but it's nothing but rumors. 4G and a 1Ghz proc wouldn't be a bad BB at all though.

veril
Aug 28, 2004

sethsez posted:

And not-ridiculous hardware limitations. Blackberries can't even play more than one sound at a time, which absolutely kills games and plenty of media-oriented apps. And I'm on an 8530.

That's actually only a limitation on CDMA BlackBerry phones - GSM phones can play multiple sounds perfectly fine.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

veril posted:

That's actually only a limitation on CDMA BlackBerry phones - GSM phones can play multiple sounds perfectly fine.

Well that's just all kinds of stupid. What the hell is the reasoning for that?

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit

sethsez posted:

Well that's just all kinds of stupid. What the hell is the reasoning for that?

Yeah what does the radio band have to do with the functioning of the speakers.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just petty bullshit like releasing a phone with 3G and no wifi at the same time as one with wifi and no 3G :downs:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Godzilla07 posted:

Try changing the settings in the browser to Hotspot Browser, something like that. Or your campus has some authentication or something, I don't know.

Very few BlackBerry apps will work without a data plan, even if you're on Wi-Fi. I think Palringo works if you want a decent IM client for your BlackBerry.

You can activate a BlackBerry without a data plan on T-Mobile, maybe even AT&T. You just have to bring your own. I've got a BlackBerry on my mom's line with no data plan, she just uses it for texting. I also know a lot of people on Pearls without data plans that are on AT&T. But that was before AT&T mandated data plans on their smartphones.
I'm worried if I use the browser then it will start charging me data on my non-data plan. On my "manage connections" area the WIFI box is unchecked. It's blank.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I'm worried if I use the browser then it will start charging me data on my non-data plan. On my "manage connections" area the WIFI box is unchecked. It's blank.

That means your wifi is off. Tick that box and it should work.
If you're worried about using data, call your service provider and have them switch it off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalonji posted:

That means your wifi is off. Tick that box and it should work.
If you're worried about using data, call your service provider and have them switch it off.

Keep in mind blocking data may block picture messaging.

sethsez posted:

And I'm on an 8530.

The Curve 8530 is just a horrible "smartphone." Slow internet and they skimped badly on the hardware.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

If you have it set to Hotspot Browser in browser settings, it simply won't work on cellular data.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Godzilla07 posted:

If you have it set to Hotspot Browser in browser settings, it simply won't work on cellular data.

Got it thanks!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Duckman2008 posted:

The Curve 8530 is just a horrible "smartphone." Slow internet and they skimped badly on the hardware.
Yeah I know. I can get a new phone but I don't feel like getting a Bold and I hate the design of the torch. I mean i would get a bold but OS6 just came out, so I might as well for the new berry.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 19, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Duckman2008 posted:

The Curve is lovely smartphone, but it's also the best thing available for cheap prepaid service with data, which is the one area I think Blackberries still dominate. It's hard to argue with $35 a month for unlimited data and text compared to drat near anything else out there, and it still beats a dumbphone.

Also, it's the browser that's awful. With Bolt I don't have any speed complaints (usability still sucks).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Yeah I know. I can get a new phone but I don't feel like getting a Bold and I hate the design of the torch. I mean i would get a bold but OS6 just came out, so I might as well for the new berry.

You won't be able to get any AT&T smartphone subsidized without a data plan unless you pay full price. If you're going to get a data plan, you might as well get a Captivate or iPhone 4.

Killer Identity
Feb 10, 2007
I got a BlackBerry Curve 8330 on Sprint as my first smartphone last July. I was starting to text a lot and I had an old dumbphone that really sucked to use. When I got my BB it was a breath of fresh air in that regard, and as I used it more I started using it for my calendar, the web, email, etc.

Well, sadly my old Curve bit the dust 3 days ago (who knew a trip down the stairs could be so short but oh-so-deadly) so to replace it I got...another Curve (the 8530 this time). I ordered it Monday night and I had it in my cheeto-encrusted fingers 42 hours later. So far I've been pretty happy with it (it's been less than a day) but it's basically what I had before plus WiFi. I don't anticipate any regrets on the horizon.

And of course, if anyone's read this far, I'm sure the question on everyone's mind will be "Why the gently caress didn't you just get an Evo?" Simple: There's no way I'm getting an Evo while I'm on my buddy's Wireless Advantage plan (he works for Sprint), so for the past year my BB phone bill has come to about $33 a month for 500 Anytime minutes (I used 19 of them last month) and of course unlimited data, texting, blah blah. While I REALLY wanted to hold out for an Evo, they aren't available for my plan yet and I needed a new phone ASAP.

The Blackberry does what I want it to do and I was pretty happy with my old Curve, so I'm sure this one will be no different. I've used the GPS on my old phone to get to a party another state over with zero problems or missed turns, I can listen to podcasts at work, my Google Calendar works with zero effort and if I'm eating lunch at work I can open the browser and read a few news stories or surf Wikipedia for random poo poo. It works for me and since I'm the one paying for it that's all that really matters. Will I get an Evo when they come to my plan? Of course. Will I be fine with what I have in the meantime? Yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why oh why RIM????

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/08/19/blackberry-9670-oxford-internal-overview/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

RIM did not learn their lesson from the Pearl Flip, which no one bought. Also, 18.5 mm thick. I don't think I've seen a smartphone that thick since the Touch Pro. It's an entry-level model, and it will still flop because it is too big.

There's also the Bold 9780. Decent upgrade I guess from the 9700, because nothing really changed. 512 MB of RAM and 5 MP camera. That's all. Going to T-Mobile with 1700 band and UMA.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
RIM is just loving hilarious.

:downs: Smartphones are for important business people! Consumers only want low end crap! :downs:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

RIM is just loving hilarious.

:downs: Smartphones are for important business people! Consumers only want low end crap! :downs:

RIM is missing the "people will buy a phone because it looks cool." This has to be the ugliest phone I have seen in a while.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
It's just a shame I am too stupid to walk away from Blackberry.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Godzilla07 posted:

RIM did not learn their lesson from the Pearl Flip, which no one bought. Also, 18.5 mm thick. I don't think I've seen a smartphone that thick since the Touch Pro. It's an entry-level model, and it will still flop because it is too big.

There's also the Bold 9780. Decent upgrade I guess from the 9700, because nothing really changed. 512 MB of RAM and 5 MP camera. That's all. Going to T-Mobile with 1700 band and UMA.
The 5MP camera and the 512mb upgrade is enough reason for me to enter a contract with AT&T to get it, assuming it goes there first. I really want a nice camera on my phone...

e:
With a contract it better be less than $100...

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

The 5MP camera and the 512mb upgrade is enough reason for me to enter a contract with AT&T to get it, assuming it goes there first. I really want a nice camera on my phone...

e:
With a contract it better be less than $100...

It'll be $200 after $50 MIR most likely. Positioned as an alternative to the 9800.

If you're going to sign a contract for a personal device on AT&T, the iPhone 4 and Captivate are far, far better devices. They have good cameras too. Are you tied to BBM or something?

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Does someone want to explain why my Blackberry doesn't do something as simple as display pictures in emails.

rueben26
May 31, 2001

I want to be one of the X-men!!

Godzilla07 posted:

OP redone because I have nothing better to do at 3 AM. Maybe I should add some image headers, but don't feel like putting that much effort into it right now.
Thanks for the update of the OP. Thank you for creating the thread.

What apps are you guys using for OTA Podcasts? OP mentions Podtrapper, I've been using the trial of that for the last 20 days, it works great, but i don't know if I want to spend the $10 on it. I'm just used to iPhone where you have 10 crappy free apps, and one great one worth paying for. Are there any other decent podcast apps that do OTA downloads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rueben26 posted:

Thanks for the update of the OP. Thank you for creating the thread.

What apps are you guys using for OTA Podcasts? OP mentions Podtrapper, I've been using the trial of that for the last 20 days, it works great, but i don't know if I want to spend the $10 on it. I'm just used to iPhone where you have 10 crappy free apps, and one great one worth paying for. Are there any other decent podcast apps that do OTA downloads?

Im pretty sure RIM just released the blackberry podcasts app for free on app world a little while ago...

• Locked thread