Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Sombrerotron posted:

Let's talk about more important things than music preferences - such as where one might acquire "GET READY FOR THE BIG SHOOTOUT"?

Please. We'd love to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Big Shoot Out is one place where we can be of service. The 8-Track Sound Project covers all your needs when it comes to repairing 70's shoot-em-up arcade games.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Parmesan Basil posted:

Please. We'd love to know.

You can get ready for the big shootout here.

And here's some pretty good shooting, try again.

About the games they're from:

1976 Chicago Coin Shoot Out
1976 Chicago Coin Coney Island Rifle

efb in better fashion

Dominus Vobiscum fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2010

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Songs that just happen to be nine minutes and fifty nine seconds long consisting entirely of a fifteen second loop repeated the entire time are not music, gently caress your attempts at justification.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

SumYungGui posted:

Songs that just happen to be nine minutes and fifty nine seconds long consisting entirely of a fifteen second loop repeated the entire time are not music, gently caress your attempts at justification.
This appears to be completely incorrect.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

SumYungGui posted:

Thanks for that Mr. Stick-In-The-Mud.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

SumYungGui posted:

You wouldn't happen to be referring to "Nyan Beat" would you?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Is there someone who is rating every song in the playlist a 1? I was scrolling through it and every song with only one vote has a 1.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Is there someone who is rating every song in the playlist a 1? I was scrolling through it and every song with only one vote has a 1.
There's usually someone :shobon:. The solution is to not care about the score, which isn't really very important anyway.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If this poo poo was linked to the record company servers and I could put my credit card in and click download, I'd be loving broke.

If the RIAA could just impliment such a system, [mp3] piracy would be forever gone. Why the gently caress they can't present music in such a basic way is beyond me.

:sigh:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Daimo posted:

If this poo poo was linked to the record company servers and I could put my credit card in and click download, I'd be loving broke.

If the RIAA could just impliment such a system, [mp3] piracy would be forever gone. Why the gently caress they can't present music in such a basic way is beyond me.

I'm sure Apple is working on something like that right now.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Daimo posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify

not available in the US yet though!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Charlie Mopps posted:

Is there any way we could get a script added that prevents voting on a song that is on the playlist until it has been playing for at least a minute or so, and then locks votes out again 5 minutes after it finishes? Not that votes are a huge deal or anything, it is just retarded that people try to troll the voting system like that.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

skander posted:

Well, it's not immediate, as I still have that power for stuff uploaded 18 hours ago. It would be nice to be able to correct something you didn't notice for a couple of days.

It's for a 24 hour period. After that, you can quite happily report it or queue an edit like with any other dong.

quote:

Is there any way we could get a script added that prevents voting on a song that is on the playlist until it has been playing for at least a minute or so, and then locks votes out again 5 minutes after it finishes? Not that votes are a huge deal or anything, it is just retarded that people try to troll the voting system like that.

I'll probably implement something like that this week, if only to stop DaWolfey's (very productive) moaning.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like going down the list and voting 5s on songs that I know I like (because I recognize them) but won't be listening to (because it's bedtime).

That said, as long as I can still Favorite something at any time, I guess I can understand locking the ratings system when a song isn't playing.

Thing is, make sure it doesn't hamper the ability to adjust the score just after the song plays, because sometimes something gives a poor first impression but then kind of grows on you. Or vice-versa.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Yes. Someone apparently thinks that it's the pinnacle of comedy or something.

Jonnty posted:

I'll probably implement something like that this week, if only to stop DaWolfey's (very productive) moaning.

If one could look at what a user has voted, one could easily see that a very high percentage of a person's votes were one.

Just saying. :ninja:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BabyRyoga posted:

It's not a bad idea, but I frequently vote for songs before they are played if I already know what they are. Though the slight inconvenience would probably be offset by people who just go down the list voting all ones being shut down.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

It should still be possible to vote from the dong page at any time. Currently it's just really easy to click '1' down the entire playlist, but making voting more awkward will go a long way to preventing that.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Another fix would be to make it so you can only add a number vote if you leave a comment, and your comment will be displayed with your number vote and name. That takes the anonymity out of it though, which might discourage some people. Some other people might be discouraged by the fact that they have to actually think up a constructive comment to write, but 10-20 seconds of work isn't really inconvenient.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BabyRyoga posted:

Another fix would be to make it so you can only add a number vote if you leave a comment, and your comment will be displayed with your number vote and name. That takes the anonymity out of it though, which might discourage some people. Some other people might be discouraged by the fact that they have to actually think up a constructive comment to write, but 10-20 seconds of work isn't really inconvenient.

Except people wouldn't think of something constructive to say. People don't do that now when it's totally optional. I weep for whoever has to clean out the comments because it really is a terrible combination of people using the comment box as a chat, people who don't realize the song has changed and leave the comment for the wrong song, people who say "better than the last song" or whatever, and people who are rehashing the same jokes.

Also I feel like some goon is going to come beat me up if they can see how horribly I rate some of their favorite songs. But that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BabyRyoga posted:

Quite the opposite, actually. You want there to be fewer comments than votes, because otherwise the comments become an unreadable mess.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wouldn't it be possible to come up with a Goon Score. Sort of, the average of what you voted to help detect people who are just voting noise.

The only thing I'd do is delete the votes on your own music, and you'd be able to get a pretty accurate thing. Thus, if someone is just voting ones all the way down, we could smoke them out.

I think banning voting either way unless a song is playing restricts people because I, like a lot of people, vote for songs I already know.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Doctor Zero posted:

If one could look at what a user has voted, one could easily see that a very high percentage of a person's votes were one.

Just saying. :ninja:

You know, because I was a mere pleb on the old gbsfm, sometimes I forget I'm an all-powerful dictator and can do things like that. This'll be fun :)

NewAgeRetroHippie
Oct 25, 2007

New Age Retro Hippie uses Toothbrush!
I too like going down the list and pre-voting songs I already know, especially, as said earlier, if I won't be around to hear them.

That being said I also won't cry if it's changed. I actually found the guy going down the list and voting everything 1 funny, in a sad way.

Talk about passive-aggressive. :rolleyes:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
A cavalcade of bewildered new users reflexively voting 1 is just an indication that GBS-FM is successful.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to come up with a Goon Score. Sort of, the average of what you voted to help detect people who are just voting noise.

The only thing I'd do is delete the votes on your own music, and you'd be able to get a pretty accurate thing. Thus, if someone is just voting ones all the way down, we could smoke them out.

I think banning voting either way unless a song is playing restricts people because I, like a lot of people, vote for songs I already know.

Or you could just not care, because the kind of people who prevote everything 1 are usually the kind who get banned for being assholes soon enough.

I say we do like v1 and just don't link vote buttons from the playlist page until the dong is or has played. If they want to prevote everything, make them work for it :twisted:

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Yay, not only is the station back but so are all the same old tired arguments.

Beelz: don't worry too much, if they stick around long enough they'll gain a basic education allowing them to tell good metal from bad, just like we've had to do with some other genres.

Metal is not being overplayed and I certainly haven't noticed a propensity for people to deliberately add longer tracks, although if you want us to add lots of ten minute raw black metal stuff I'm sure we could oblige.

Doc0: pity the industrial seems to be lumped in with this as well, at least we seem to have a few new people who really dig it as well though :)

Bulk pre-voting is pathetic and taking it off the playlist isn't going to stop people voting on their favourite/most hated artists. We either need to go to one extreme or the other. Leave it as it is now, and stop being a pussy that your favourite song doesn't have a perfect five rating. Alternatively allow voting only on tracks that are playing/have been played and are still on the recently played bit at the top of the playlist. The latter would be my preferred option.

For people whining about not being able to vote all of their favourite artist's tracks 5 without playing them, that's sort of the point. We want you to be inflicting your favourite music on us to expand our horizons (unless it's rap, because that poo poo is terrible, who the hell listens to rap?).

Remember if you want to show your love for something, you can favourite songs and everyone's favourite song list is viewable. On the old station we also had favourite albums/artists - which you could make viewable from your profile or not. At some point hopefully we'll reintegrate this function into the new version of the station. Along with all the other fun stats, like the average vote that has already been requested be brought back.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

I was pretty disappointed when this went down, and am really excited to see it back!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I do like how the playlist is at 12 hours or something ridiculous right now. It's been so long since I've seen it so active. :toot:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Leave the voting system as it is, it's not like the numbers actually do anything. I use the voting as a personal thing, eventually I should have enough tracks voted so I can see if a block of songs I like is coming up.

And about the genre thing, people seem to be really hostile to things they don't actually know. From the comments I've got on my songs, you'd think I'd taken a poo poo in everyone's ears.

Edit: ugh, removed the last comment I made here, it sounded to whiny

Test Pilot Monkey fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 17, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I'm actually pretty pleased with the responses to all my tagged songs so far. Section Quartet, Machine gun fellatio, Devotchka, Freedom Fighters. No hating in the comments yet.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The station still needs more smilies.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm actually pretty pleased with the responses to all my tagged songs so far. Section Quartet, Machine gun fellatio, Devotchka, Freedom Fighters. No hating in the comments yet.

Devotchka is one of my all time favorite bands I discovered from GBS-FM. I've seen them several times now.

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

IRC went down approximately 37 minutes ago, and the station is unavailable as well. Connection attempts are timing out. What's the situation?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helldesk posted:

IRC went down approximately 37 minutes ago, and the station is unavailable as well. Connection attempts are timing out. What's the situation?

It's fine ?
We're all still here, IRC, Website, stream.. Must be your end.

You timed out: [11:12] *** Helldesk!Helldesk@xxxx.fi has quit IRC: Ping timeout

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

Odd. Got back to IRC, on a different server, but the stream is still timing out.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helldesk posted:

Odd. Got back to IRC, on a different server, but the stream is still timing out.

Is it still off for you ?

Anyone else ?

Faggot Scumfuck
Jun 28, 2008
More power hours and blocks would be nice. They are really awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

CORNHOLE PATROLE posted:

More power hours and blocks would be nice. They are really awesome

There's nothing stopping anyone getting a few people together and doing a block. We've had a Rotterdam Terror Corps block and gyre coordinated a Háry János Suite.

Just get some people together, and away you go! (IRC is good for this)

• Locked thread