Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I wonder what Han Solo was doing in Mos Eisley anyways when Obi-wan and Luke needed a transport. It seems like it wasn't very prudent to be on the same planet as Jabba. Was Jabba even on tatooine at that time or did he move his base there at the time of ROTJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

If your going to mention the Mustache twirling you have to mention the fact that the dude is being a Stereotypical evil villain on purpose. The baddie is very self aware of the fact he is playing the role of the bad guy to Luke and Company.

I didn't mean it like a bad thing in this instance, because LSATSOM is all about the pulp.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I know Stover said he based Shadows of Mindor on the early Brian Daley Han Solo novels.

Mister_Eel posted:

I wonder what Han Solo was doing in Mos Eisley anyways when Obi-wan and Luke needed a transport. It seems like it wasn't very prudent to be on the same planet as Jabba. Was Jabba even on tatooine at that time or did he move his base there at the time of ROTJ?

Well Jabba was there in the Special Editions, along with the original cut scenes from the movie (where Jabba was still a human).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Throb Robinson posted:

Only sperglords can't find Marvel comics fun cause they don't fit into Canon.

Marvel comics introduced Lumiya, therefore Marvel comics suck :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

Clearly he's a big fan of the Cantina Band. That, or there's some long-winded EU explanation for how they ended up there (short answer, Starkiller made him).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

It's less 'grab the blade' and more 'put up a telekinetic barrier that stops it touching them'.

Yoda's done it (as a third party) against Ventress in the CG series, Shaak Ti did it against Grievous in the 'original' clone wars cartoon, and the girl in the 'Hope' cinematic did it as well. I suppose you could even attribute it to the KotOR characters, at least the Jedi ones who survive lightsaber fights unarmed (the non-jedi ones are just plain lucky).

I got the impression Hope Girl was channeling the energy from the blade as it came in contact. Otherwise there's really no need to be grabbing at the blade in the first place, just hold it in place with the Force.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

Stop. Now. The idea that there are different forms using different movements that Jedi practice and that you can see which ones they're using in the films is one of my biggest gripes at the moment. There's more than enough Sperging about them done on various forums, so suffice to say drop them, never talk much about them and never take them seriously. The 'Forms' have grown purely out of the choreographed crap that filled the prequels.

Moreover, they mostly all do the same things (at least the opponents do the same types of movements in a fight, natch, since they need to have a matching choreographical scene) in the same fights. The fights themselves change quite a bit over the course of the films, even just the prequels.

So forms are mostly an afterthought meant to sell books about lightsaber forms.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mister_Eel posted:

He was there to try and convince Jabba to extend his payoff time, and looking for a big score to pay off a down payment on what he owed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Fun SWG memory, 20k credits was pennies that'd barely buy you a decent gun or speeder bike and not a ship.

Oh inflation!

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
I am quite upset horse pilot gets all the glory as opposed to bat pilot.

Mister_Eel posted:

I wonder what Han Solo was doing in Mos Eisley anyways when Obi-wan and Luke needed a transport. It seems like it wasn't very prudent to be on the same planet as Jabba.

He was addicted to laughing at this thing pass out from juri juice.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 18, 2010

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Speaking of odd pilots does any one remember the name of the Rouge squadron where one of them (spoilers just for those that are reading them) Wedge I think had a ewok costume and a voice changer in the cockpit?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Darth Freddy posted:

Speaking of odd pilots does any one remember the name of the Rouge squadron where one of them (spoilers just for those that are reading them) Wedge I think had a ewok costume and a voice changer in the cockpit?

That's Lieutenant Kettch of Hawkbat Squadron. Show some respect.

It's from Iron Fist

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The subplot there continues through Solo Command, too, actually.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
I grin uncontrollably almost anytime somebody mentions something specifically related to Allston's X-Wing novels. Those were really the best books.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fun SWG memory, 20k credits was pennies that'd barely buy you a decent gun or speeder bike and not a ship.

Oh inflation!

That is true, but when Jump to Lightspeed came out, didn't a top tier Sword cost as much as an A-Wing?

The economy in that was so funny because it was 100% player controlled.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That is true, but when Jump to Lightspeed came out, didn't a top tier Sword cost as much as an A-Wing?

The economy in that was so funny because it was 100% player controlled.

Pretty much, and it depended if the sword had been crafted somehow with the tooth of the infamous Lord Nyax or whatever crap looted from the constantly camped KJA inspired dungeon bosses.

I bought the Brawler newbie Jacket on the bazaar for 200 credits. I thought that was a steal :3:.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much, and it depended if the sword had been crafted somehow with the tooth of the infamous Lord Nyax or whatever crap looted from the constantly camped KJA inspired dungeon bosses.

I bought the Brawler newbie Jacket on the bazaar for 200 credits. I thought that was a steal :3:.

I remember rolling around with the CDEF rifle (the shittiest one that you can buy for like 500 credits) on Tatooine shooting the small little whomp rats outside Mos Eisley not knowing what the gently caress. Thankfully I ran into a veteran who decided to help me and he took me off planet and showed me how to do stuff like gain XP. He brought me to Naboo where I spent my last credit to buy the Advanced Laser Rifle and it changed my loving life forever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Haha, awesome. I also rolled with the CDEF for the first two days. It looked pretty pimping (Lando poses with one so yeah) but you might as well just punched those Worts and Wamp Rats to death.

I actually sort of miss the Commando Napalm spitting Flamethrower.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Wouldn't the reason you use ray guns instead of bullet guns be the fact that bullets punch holes in your body, injure your internal organs and cause blood loss, while ray guns disintegrate you? I just assumed armour and shielding on spaceships and stormtroopers rendered conventional weapons ineffective.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

T-1000 posted:

Wouldn't the reason you use ray guns instead of bullet guns be the fact that bullets punch holes in your body, injure your internal organs and cause blood loss, while ray guns disintegrate you? I just assumed armour and shielding on spaceships and stormtroopers rendered conventional weapons ineffective.

Bullets sound pretty effective :v:

I don't remember anyone disintegrating either, especially Leia (as she was hit unarmored)

Edit: I was carbine / ranger when it first came out. I was somehow more effective when I became image designer / ranger (thanks to not draining one of my bars so quick, with crappy shots). I was AFK a lot near the base and would bury people when my camps extended the ridge.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 19, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"Remember TK-2320 do not feel bad for the Rebel scum we shoot, the laser blasts a humane cauterised hole in their insides and they die from shock. Now throw our thermal detonator disintegration grenades at the targets!"

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 19, 2010

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
I don't mean to hijack the current topic, but I don't think this has been mentioned yet either: The supposed live action TV show. I know there's a good chance it'll suck, but my inner child just can't help but get excited. It keeps getting delayed though, so who knows if it'll ever actually exist.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I'm not too excited about the live action show cause I remember seeing George or Rick talking about how they could have several live action Star Wars shows on the go at once and how cheaply they could do it too.

I'm not big on throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

taco_fox posted:

Ah, yes. I got a "please come back" 10 day trial around Valentine's and was greeted with this upon logging on :gonk:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

The horror. The horror. The unspeakable madness of it all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pretend Squirrel posted:

I don't mean to hijack the current topic, but I don't think this has been mentioned yet either: The supposed live action TV show. I know there's a good chance it'll suck, but my inner child just can't help but get excited. It keeps getting delayed though, so who knows if it'll ever actually exist.

A month or two ago there was some announcement that development of the live-action show has been put on hold because, at the moment, it would be far too expensive the shoot the scripts they have and want to do.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Throb Robinson posted:

I'm not too excited about the live action show cause I remember seeing George or Rick talking about how they could have several live action Star Wars shows on the go at once and how cheaply they could do it too.

I'm not big on throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

A Star Wars show done with the budget of an old-school Doctor Who episode would be hilarious. Lightsabers are some toys bought at Walmart. Costumes are whatever bathrobes the costume department could wrangle up that day. Aliens are garbage bags with pipe cleaners stuck in them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

A Star Wars show done with the budget of an old-school Doctor Who episode would be hilarious. Lightsabers are some toys bought at Walmart. Costumes are whatever bathrobes the costume department could wrangle up that day. Aliens are garbage bags with pipe cleaners stuck in them.

Would watch, if only because it would force EU to accept the Trushbig aliens from the planet Glaadd.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It looks like an ugly Care Bear.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

It looks like an ugly Care Bear.

SWG at almost its lowest :(.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
The old school DW had characters and stories I gave a poo poo about though. I can put up with seeing a man in a rubber suit cause it was done awesomely. I think compelling stories and characters in a live action Star Wars are something that will be missing.

I'm pretty sure if it ever does come to light the show will be more like BSG. A "Dark Edgy" Star Wars for adults. That would blow big time. If anything it should be a adventure serial like SG-1. Nothing ever too heavy.

EDIT: With my undying shame I will admit that I played the Ewok love festival poo poo. You get the flying pink ewok as a pet that follows you around.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

EDIT: With my undying shame I will admit that I played the Ewok love festival poo poo. You get the flying pink ewok as a pet that follows you around.

Did it try to eat any chicks you scored with?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did it try to eat any chicks you scored with?

This reminds me of the grand SWG Tradition of looking for people AFK to macro hump until they return.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

This reminds me of the grand SWG Tradition of looking for people AFK to macro hump until they return.

God the emotes in that game were hilariously animated and easy to abuse.

I remember when I was a newb and thought LD was a big rear end guild.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The macros were part of what made pre-cu so incredible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The entertainers who could macro together a dance wear some retarded outfit and sing some dumb rear end song always got a tip from me.

Did every server have a rapping Wookiee at one point?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 19, 2010

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I have a folder of like 3000 shots from that game. Its terrible like half of them are of me running around face raping people sitting down or scoring for minerals. I do have some badass Star Wars shots though that make me forget all the bad poo poo that go along with that game.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, they're probably still around. Though the best thing to do was always to have you and a bunch of your buddies huddle around someone's who was on their knees meditating and starting the hump macro. If you played into the NGE, it was also effective way to taunt people at "the line" for the Restuss PvP zone.

I don't think my gameplay experience would have been nearly as enjoyable if it weren't for some of those macros. Also /sing bad; was another great one, leaving your jaw hanging and your eyes wide open.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

I have a folder of like 3000 shots from that game. Its terrible like half of them are of me running around face raping people sitting down or scoring for minerals. I do have some badass Star Wars shots though that make me forget all the bad poo poo that go along with that game.

I posted the several hundred of mine up on FlickR. I wish I took more screenshots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

While I never did it myself, it's funny how in SWG it was possible to play as a "female" and take massive advantage of people more so than in any other game. "Female" dancers made a loving killing if they played it right.

And during my time with the game I only took a few screenshots and I only have 1 still saved. I wish I took shots every day, there is a lot of cool stuff that I would like to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Got any requests? I'll dig in thru all my shots see what I can find. Sadly that game can only really be enjoyed these days heavily modded on the client side. Re-textures and such. Someone went out of their way to make Tatooine look really like Tatooine and not Arizona. They even gave Tatooine two suns.

Thats right, Regular Swg only has one sun for tatooine.