Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Have you heard it? It isnt post-rock at all. Also, Abyssal is loving awesome.

I have heard it, but it's a very broken-up song and for some reason I'm having an exceptionally hard time forming an opinion on it. Saying it's "not post-rock at all" seems pretty off-point though.

"Abyssal" is good, I think I actually prefer "Insomniac Doze" to it though (mainly because A Warm Room is one of Envy's best songs), and I think "All The Footprints..." blows them all away with "A Dead Sinking Story" in second.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Sorry man, it's my #2. :shobon:

Although that one's the only one I have on vinyl.

I have it on vinyl too! It's the TRL reissue though, not anything fancy.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I love Envy but the more post-rock it becomes the less interested I am. I still can only listen to "All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead."

Also, they don't get enough attention but Caitlyn Bailey just recorded their new album. Everyone should check that out!

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

Carl FTWinslow posted:

The best skramz has been suis la lune, dolcim, and battle of wolf 359

Pretty sure I missed Dolcim's final show. They were pretty good, though. They were the only dudes doing skramz around here.

Also, "Your shoes and the world to come" is my absolute jam.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
My friend's skramz-revival band just got added to the TO Envy show, he's out of his mind with joy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Only current bands I can get myself to really care about anymore are Pianos, Comadre, Loma Prieta, and Punch. Still haven't given that newish Raein album much of a chance. I've been a little out of it musically though since I've cut way back on buying records. Definitely need to start checking out some of the stuff I've slept on.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

rivals posted:

Only current bands I can get myself to really care about anymore are Pianos, Comadre, Loma Prieta, and Punch. Still haven't given that newish Raein album much of a chance. I've been a little out of it musically though since I've cut way back on buying records. Definitely need to start checking out some of the stuff I've slept on.

I've been meaning to get into Comadre but don't know where to start. Guide me please.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

I've been meaning to get into Comadre but don't know where to start. Guide me please.

Burn Your Bones -> Trainwreck split -> A Wolf Ticket

Then just get all the rest.

Some of them are free to download on their site such as A Wolf Ticket, Glasses split and several mixtapes with covers and unreleased songs.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

NeilPerry posted:

Some of them are free to download on their site such as A Wolf Ticket, Glasses split and several mixtapes with covers and unreleased songs.

Also the Trainwreck side of that split is incredible.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Much better than their self titled.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Inspector_71 posted:

I have heard it, but it's a very broken-up song and for some reason I'm having an exceptionally hard time forming an opinion on it. Saying it's "not post-rock at all" seems pretty off-point though.

"Abyssal" is good, I think I actually prefer "Insomniac Doze" to it though (mainly because A Warm Room is one of Envy's best songs), and I think "All The Footprints..." blows them all away with "A Dead Sinking Story" in second.

I have it on vinyl too! It's the TRL reissue though, not anything fancy.

if you don't own all the footprints... get out of this thread, pretty much.

Did any band ever sound like envy? (up to a dead sinking story)

rivals posted:

Much better than their self titled.

Were you still selling your celeste records? I have money problems right now but once they disappear I'd be super interested in buying them.

Pantalones! fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 21, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Pantalones! posted:

if you don't own all the footprints... get out of this thread, pretty much.

Did any band ever sound like envy? (up to a dead sinking story)

Were you still selling your celeste records? I have money problems right now but once they disappear I'd be super interested in buying them.

Hollow Jan

Pretty much Korean Envy, their LP Rough Draft in Progress is pretty good too

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Pantalones! posted:

Just Nihilste(s). I'm stuck on the D's in sorting my LPs which is why I haven't posted about it much lately. Trying to get through it though.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 16, 2017

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

rivals posted:

Just Nihilste(s). I'm stuck on the D's in sorting my LPs which is why I haven't posted about it much lately. Trying to get through it though.

Is it the original pressing? Also, what color?

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

You're dead.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Pantalones! posted:

You're dead.

You got dibs. Im just seeing.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, why was I never informed of how amazing La Dispute is? I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, why was I never informed of how amazing La Dispute is? I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

Mostly because most people are pretty ambivalent towards it. You think it's awesome at the start and then you kinda lose interest.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
they have a rad live show. That is to say that I like their live show quite a bit.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

Mostly because most people are pretty ambivalent towards it. You think it's awesome at the start and then you kinda lose interest.

Oh no. :ohdear: I'm only three tracks into Somewhere at the Bottom of the River and I'm still into it but I can see where the loss of interest could come from. They remind me of mewithoutYou and their first album is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. v:shobon:v

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

Oh no. :ohdear: I'm only three tracks into Somewhere at the Bottom of the River and I'm still into it but I can see where the loss of interest could come from. They remind me of mewithoutYou and their first album is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. v:shobon:v

Haha, don't worry. If you like it you like it. It's not particularly bad. It's just that most people see it as a hardcore and less religious mewithoutYou and that automatically registers as awesome. But some people think that's all it is sometimes.

I like their little Hear Here(or is it Hear hear, I don't recall) releases. They're free and are extremely minimalistic little songs with poems and pieces of literature.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Angiepants posted:

They remind me of mewithoutYou and their first album is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. v:shobon:v

This is exactly why I listen to La Dispute. Their Here, Hear releases are really cool. The Touche Amore split they just put out is awesome. I loved Somewhere at the Bottom of the River...when I first heard it, but it gets old pretty fast. It has a handful of standout tracks that I keep going back to though, the first track never stops being great.

I nearly poo poo myself when I saw the Envy tour announced (in this thread). I have all their TRL pressings except Insomniac Doze. When was their last American tour? I can't remember them coming around since I've been listening to them, but I might have just missed it.

Bought a ticket for the NYC date and plan to skip classes for the day to accommodate for the hour train ride and then being lost as gently caress in the city.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just downloaded the Cutting Pink With Knives "discography" and holy poo poo it's actually a really good thing they broke up, because the demos for the newer stuff are awful. There

The stuff they did release is top-notch though, and there's some really loving good unreleased stuff in here. I wish I could have seen them live.

EDIT: Yes I know I'm like 2 years late to get this stuff.

Kevar posted:

Bought a ticket for the NYC date and plan to skip classes for the day to accommodate for the hour train ride and then being lost as gently caress in the city.

Just grabbed my Boston tickets, thanks for the reminder.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 22, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

First and I'm pretty sure red with black or whatever /100.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

I just downloaded the Cutting Pink With Knives "discography" and holy poo poo it's actually a really good thing they broke up, because the demos for the newer stuff are awful. There

The stuff they did release is top-notch though, and there's some really loving good unreleased stuff in here. I wish I could have seen them live.

EDIT: Yes I know I'm like 2 years late to get this stuff.

I saw their final show :smug:

They were awesome. Too bad the CD I bought from them got lost in the mail. I do still have their 7inch splits. Good stuff.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
Just got back from Minneapolis and ended up going to the Triple Rock and seeing Kevin Seconds do his acoustic thing. Very cool place and a good show. There was a dude opening for him, Nato Coles who had a pretty good set as well. "If we can walk together we can folk together."

Also Frank Turner kicks all kinds of rear end....saw him 3 weeks ago (at the Webster Underground) I never have a hesitation to recommend his albums to anyone since he transcends all genres.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Paid 50$ for a ticket to Iggy this Sunday. I plan to dive off the balcony and kill everyone, there's like 2 people I know going who will be saved. So psyched..

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

POS did an interview with Punknews, dude owns if you didn't know

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Street Dog's new album is up to stream http://www.stereokiller.com/StreetDogs/

Pretty awesome. Kinda pissed they aren't playing Boston on their fall tour. Closest is 09/19/10 Pawtucket, RI at The Met Cafe with Devil's Brigade, Flatfoot 56, Left Alone and Continental. Might go to that.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

Kevar posted:

This is exactly why I listen to La Dispute. Their Here, Hear releases are really cool. The Touche Amore split they just put out is awesome. I loved Somewhere at the Bottom of the River...when I first heard it, but it gets old pretty fast. It has a handful of standout tracks that I keep going back to though, the first track never stops being great.

I nearly poo poo myself when I saw the Envy tour announced (in this thread). I have all their TRL pressings except Insomniac Doze. When was their last American tour? I can't remember them coming around since I've been listening to them, but I might have just missed it.

i'm pretty sure i've been told this is their first US tour. theyve been out here before though.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Got this tonight at the show, it ranks up there as one of the cooler t-shirts I've seen. Oh, the band rules too.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Anyone going to the Teenage Bottlerocket/Reaganomics show tonight at The Subterranean in Chicago?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lifeloveregret posted:

i'm pretty sure i've been told this is their first US tour. theyve been out here before though.

This is the second big US tour, their third time doing a series of US shows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Anyone going to the Teenage Bottlerocket/Reaganomics show tonight at The Subterranean in Chicago?

Saw TBR with Flatliners and Bosstones in Buffalo Thursday. Holy poo poo, that was fun. Best set I've ever seen? No. Most fun I've ever had at a show? Hell yes.

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess
The DYS/The FUs/Jerry's Kids/Gang Green/Antidote/Slapshot/Revilers/Refuse Resist show was AWESOME...if you are from the area and didn't, go you missed the gently caress out. Gang Green was the only let down and Springa from SSD showed up to do a song with Refuse Resist and MC, as did Dicky Barrett from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I haven't seen so many old faces from the Boston/New England hardcore and punk scenes. in one place ever, I don't think. DYS was off the chain for not having played for something like 20 years.

I have a massive lump on the side of my head from an errant boot and am hopefully not going to catch poo poo for calling out sick tonight for it, but it was totally worth every minute.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That was tonight? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
quick question, how do filez rules apply concerning digital copies of 70's and 80's bootlegs and live recordings? I happen to have stumbled across/ been informed of a bunch of live recordings and such (about 260 of em) of The Clash, mostly live shows, that are all on megaupload, and would love to share them, provided that its acceptable.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Oh god I hope they are acceptable. Joe Strummer is my idol. I would love to get my hands on those.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

quick question, how do filez rules apply concerning digital copies of 70's and 80's bootlegs and live recordings? I happen to have stumbled across/ been informed of a bunch of live recordings and such (about 260 of em) of The Clash, mostly live shows, that are all on megaupload, and would love to share them, provided that its acceptable.

I would totally listen to these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm really getting into Snowing and Midwest Pen Pals. Anyone got any other recommendations?