Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

Oh I agree, he could selective-colour/HDR/etc these and they'd still be better pictures than anything I've shot. The Dorkroom has just trained my eyes to loathe Topaz Adjust :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm really wondering how you get away with shooting fire like that, or was it added later?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm really wondering how you get away with shooting fire like that, or was it added later?

Photographing fire isn't very hard, you just need a somewhat slow shutter speed like 1/20.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Found this while looking for a new desktop wallpaper.

http://www.fraglab.at/tmp/ingo/site/index.html

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

https://www.dansaelinger.com

I like this guys stuff. I've seen a couple of his images show up in the magazines I read. I've started to pay attention to photo credits a lot now. I'm trying to figure out how to do more photo illustration.

Excellent concepts that are ruined in post for me by the overdark micro contrast. Why does he have such a strong vision for the shoot but then thing that kind of contrast looks pleasing? I feel like my retinas were punched. (by nice designer Gucci gloves, but punched no less)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

poopinmymouth posted:

Excellent concepts that are ruined in post for me by the overdark micro contrast. Why does he have such a strong vision for the shoot but then thing that kind of contrast looks pleasing? I feel like my retinas were punched. (by nice designer Gucci gloves, but punched no less)

This is what I was trying to get at but my semi-limited technical vocabularly just spat out "topaz adjust". Thanks PiMM.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

It's also good to keep in mind that for commercial photography you need an image that people will notice. Obviously asthetics are important but consider the target audience. I think he does great work.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

You dislike things for the weirdest reasons. Not all shadows need to be exercises in subtlety. What does "micro contrast" even mean, it's just contrasty light + a curve or whatever.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

brad industry posted:

You dislike things for the weirdest reasons. Not all shadows need to be exercises in subtlety. What does "micro contrast" even mean, it's just contrasty light + a curve or whatever.

I dunno, I agree with PIMM. Look at the left side (our left, her right) of the woman's shirt -- it fades from light to dark, then suddenly it's white at the division, and then fades back to a more neutral tone. I find that hard to look at. It's how all sharpening algorithms work, but when you use too large a frequency your eyes stop seeing the edges as sharp and instead see them as areas of light and dark gradients. The "microcontrast" he's talking about means providing areas of high contrast without changing the overall contrast of the image, which CAN be very effective, but if you overdo it you end up with...this.

What I see when I look at those images is an unpleasant dirty-looking mess of light and dark. It has that same shiny-dirty look that you get when someone goes in way too aggressively with the dodge and burn tools.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I see strong work with strong halos. A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

orange lime posted:

Iit fades from light to dark, then suddenly it's white at the division, and then fades back to a more neutral tone.

The background and subject are lit separately, did not know this was so strenuous for so many people's poor eyes.

These discussions always seem so nitpicky to me, I understand not being into the aesthetic or whatever (some of you seem like you hate everything that isn't broadly/flatly lit or meets some weird personal technical litmus test). My first reaction to strong work executed well is not to look at the MICRO-CONTRAST HALOS of a shirt fold I guess.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

The background and subject are lit separately, did not know this was so strenuous for so many people's poor eyes.

These discussions always seem so nitpicky to me, I understand not being into the aesthetic or whatever (some of you seem like you hate everything that isn't broadly/flatly lit or meets some weird personal technical litmus test). My first reaction to strong work executed well is not to look at the MICRO-CONTRAST HALOS of a shirt fold I guess.

Contrast is too broad of a word, and most photographs you want good contrast. Micro contrast is stuff that happens within a much smaller radius within the photo, like a cheek or nose vs the entire face.

It's something that is impossible to have in real life, and it's used very oddly in most photos. It's not at all nitpicky to say you don't like over saturation to the point of clipping, or micro contrast upped to the point that every single fold, bulge, and volume in the image goes from pure 255,255,255 white to pure 0,0,0 black.

Taste is subjective, and in my subjective taste, I hate when people take small scale contrast to this extreme, it's as grating as tone mapped images taken to 11, and adds literally nothing to the image aesthetically, they would be so much more pleasing and just as strong with more normal contrast.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I'm not a fan of the style, I don't like seeing it in his portraiture, personal, or commercial work but I know that Wired magazine is going to cut a fat check to whatever advertiser uses him to sell their product so in the argument of whether or not he is right or wrong to do it that way I think he is very very right. Contemporary micro-zeitgeist etc

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Twenties Superstar posted:

I know that whatever advertiser uses him to sell their product is going to cut a reasonable check to Wired magazine

Fixed.

I think the execution is great, and the concept is cool, I'm just not a fan of this pseudo-HDR fad in commercial photography these days, and he's one in thousands doing this kind of work, so I'm not gonna fault him personally. But consumers eat it up, so w/e. Gotta pay the bills.

and "micro"? I'm with Brad on that term. I submit "local" in its place.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 7, 2010

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Gorgeous work.

http://www.guidomocafico.com/se17.html

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

poopinmymouth posted:

Gorgeous work.

http://www.guidomocafico.com/se17.html

Neat idea but drat that's a lot of pictures that are very similar.. after 7 or 8 photos I started quoting Samuel L Jackson, angrily stating that them motherfuckin snakes need to get out of that motherfuckin box.

Also that site is a slow piece of poo poo... that might have contributed to boredom settling in faster.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

Neat idea but drat that's a lot of pictures that are very similar.. after 7 or 8 photos I started quoting Samuel L Jackson, angrily stating that them motherfuckin snakes need to get out of that motherfuckin box.

Also that site is a slow piece of poo poo... that might have contributed to boredom settling in faster.

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of work you have to see in a gallery to properly appreciate. I'm sure I would sit just soaking in the tones, colors and details in the prints.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some of his still life stuff is also amazing: http://www.guidomocafico.com/om1.html

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of work you have to see in a gallery to properly appreciate. I'm sure I would sit just soaking in the tones, colors and details in the prints.

Yeah and working in a series like that is sometimes the only way to convey those things. One photo is just a snake as a rectangle, a series is a study on color and texture since it becomes about the differences. aka a typology

Bernd & Hilla Becher

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

brad industry posted:

Yeah and working in a series like that is sometimes the only way to convey those things. One photo is just a snake as a rectangle, a series is a study on color and texture since it becomes about the differences. aka a typology

Bernd & Hilla Becher

I've never seen "new topographics" work I've liked as much as this piece. Finding houses so slightly dissimilar almost seems too good to be true.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I really like Peter Beste

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Lachlan Bailey does some pretty amazing stuff. His colour stuff is wonderful.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Found randomly on Flickr, felt need to share:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

brad industry posted:

Bernd & Hilla Becher

The first show at Pier24 in SF had their series of water towers. With the subject matter that straightforward, you find yourself looking at them longer to find the differences.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I just discovered Michael Wesely's work. He uses a large format pinhole camera he made himself to take exposures lasting up to three years.

He has some really beautiful images. These are the kind of images I would absolutely love to display on my wall.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Koth posted:

I just discovered Michael Wesely's work. He uses a large format pinhole camera he made himself to take exposures lasting up to three years.

He has some really beautiful images. These are the kind of images I would absolutely love to display on my wall.

Holy poo poo. That's an exercise in reciprocity failure for sure.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Koth posted:

That is amazing

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Koth posted:

I am now inspired

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
Totally wrong thread.

downtown_man fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 8, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We can't have this thread hit the second page.

I really wish I could see larger prints of this guys stuff. https://www.ethanhill.com , these are lovely screen grabs, but his black and whites are so amazing to me.

Really like the concept on this one

And this is a super wicked band photo of the Flaming Lips. This one in particular I'd like to see larger.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Back when I was getting started one of the biggest pushes to try out portrait photography was a fella I found on flickr named Merkley. I love his style... .it consistently interests me, makes me laugh, etc. Even his photo names are funny.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merkley/ - NWS

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Those are really really weird, but I think I like them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not really a fan but that mega pickles is beyond irony.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Foreign Policy generally has great photo stories on their website

This one is from last week about the wildfires in Russia, some of the shots are incredible:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/06/red_dawn?page=full

Here is there entire photo story section:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/category/section/photo_essay

Some have great moments, others are Light Room nightmares, but overall I think its a good place for inspiration. Especially for anyone that does documentary work

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

wow that last one is loving amazing

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
I purchase the magazine GUP and it had this website in it: http://www.in-public.com

I couldn't find my favorite photo Joel Meyerowitz but I found these instead:

Matt Stuart

Richard Bram

I think Richard Bram's photo here may not be very strong in some respects, but the atmosphere just makes me love it. :)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
The gloomy atmosphere combined with all those lights makes for a nice contrast- I like it. The first picture doesn't speak to me at all though- looks like a snapshot.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Cross_ posted:

The gloomy atmosphere combined with all those lights makes for a nice contrast- I like it. The first picture doesn't speak to me at all though- looks like a snapshot.

i looked through the inpublic monthly best ofs over breakfast - good street photos with some cute visual puns here and there. not much i was blown away by.

guess i'm a harsh critic v :) v

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Justin Benzel

A mask to conquer entropy. The Universe finally in order whether it likes it or not

Probability is reversed; what is built strives to stay together.

Boredom begets desire to improve and recreate, but the Universe now conspires against those wishing to dismantle, interrupt, or turn off their creations.

The set is not finished yet and I know he is looking for feedback and critiques on his flickr.

Cassie Doumas

Sarah Davis

These are the people that taught me a lot about shooting so I am a bit biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

ZoCrowes posted:

Sarah Davis

I really, really like this a lot.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

• Locked thread