Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Goober Peas posted:

Better yet, start Baby Socks' toolbox now! My dad did this for me, and I got a tool (or 2 or 3) at every gift-giving holiday/birthday/etc. When I was 18 I had a full set of stuffs

When I was little I had a plastic hammer and screwdriver set, it was awesome, I hit all the stuff with it. As I got older I got a real hammer and some nails and some scrap wood, I'd hammer nails into it (accomplishing nothing) and it was so much fun. Later I got a hand drill and some screwdrivers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drVoodoo
Jan 10, 2008
Pillbug
Congrats Sock!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
A 9 month turnaround has got to be a record on one of your projects, congratulations!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sockington posted:

YAY TEENY TINY BABY :neckbeard: 'Grats, dude!

leica posted:

AI dads represent :whatup:

3x here, all boys, ages 19, 10, and 20 mos.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

A 9 month turnaround has got to be a record on one of your projects, congratulations!

loving :laffo:

Shpidah!
Mar 13, 2002

Wordsmythe
I don't care what anyone says, Patina is a pretty name.

Congratulations!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I laughed.

It does say something about the age of AI these days, though, when "I'm having a kid" is followed up with congratulations instead of "give her a falcon punch". :corsair:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Congrats on the kid! I think the toolbox idea is a great one :3:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Goober Peas posted:

Better yet, start Baby Socks' toolbox now! My dad did this for me, and I got a tool (or 2 or 3) at every gift-giving holiday/birthday/etc. When I was 18 I had a full set of stuffs

That's pretty much the best thing I could think of for a kid, keeps 'em off of barbie anwyays.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Be fair, though: someone else did pretty much all the work.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Leperflesh posted:

Be fair, though: someone else did pretty much all the work.

And she didn't leave parts all over the garage and basement

:laugh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Wanted to thank all you guys for the congrats and well deserved ribbing. I did finish one project that has been on the "to-do" list for about two years. Lots of random crap popped up that delayed/extended the project to a Frozen Phil calendar time line.

(still have to add a new door when I get chance, but really a non-issue for now)

Between three project cars, work, a kid, and a 50year old house built by the wife's grandfather (PROJECT!), I should be pretty well booked up.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Sounds like you should build another house out of spare car parts.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Looks like some one has put my a/w setup in a 323/Protege.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I laughed.

It does say something about the age of AI these days, though, when "I'm having a kid" is followed up with congratulations instead of "give her a falcon punch". :corsair:

A vague sense of maturity? Horrors!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Congrats!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Between three project cars, work, a kid, and a 50year old house built by the wife's grandfather (PROJECT!), I should be pretty well booked up.

Owning a house is like a never ending project pretty much.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Congrats Sock on the baby! Some will say your life is over. I say it's just beginning. When you surface for air in about 2 years time by the 3rd year you'll be left wondering where it all went. This new project is likely to surpass any time line you can set and your other projects will pale in comparison. It does have the most reward along the way. Always keep that in mind.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

Owning a house is like a never ending project pretty much.

Oh hey, guess we're digging the front out of the house to replace the weeping tile this weekend.

Not much else going on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Oh hey, guess we're digging the front out of the house to replace the weeping tile this weekend.

Cool, I got to trim my 15 foot roach/spider infested palm trees yesterday!

But today I got to put a new radiator in my old 323 :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Finally finished removing all the sand and dismantling the giant sandbox the previous owners built. Underneath was a giant stump :suicide:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hey congratulations on the mini-sock! Enjoy the help in the garage, I'm afraid my girl is succumbing to stereotypes and is slowing down on the car help. Best wishes for happiness, health, and beefy breaker-bar pulling forearms.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So..

The old step.

What lies under the old step.

Home ownership, you're so splendidly delightful sometimes. :allears:

(ps - not doing the work this time. poo poo like this goes to professionals)

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What did that used to be? Looks like its not a window well or something, its just something creepy like a place to hide bodies or drugs or something. Or a hidden septic well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that's just strange why the hell is that there.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Sockington posted:

So..

The old step.

What lies under the old step.

Home ownership, you're so splendidly delightful sometimes. :allears:

(ps - not doing the work this time. poo poo like this goes to professionals)

You never would have had this problem if you had installed a Wilson Trapdoor!
(God does saying that date me if anyone here knows their SNL)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That is only phase I.

This project won't be done for oh another eighteen years or so. Maybe longer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

Well that's just strange why the hell is that there.

So, we dug out the length of the house. Turns out, there's a cement pad that runs half the length of the house at the very bottom. They made this weird retaining wall that allowed water to collect inside the unfinished ("interior") walls. Then for some reason, they packed half of it with dirt and left the other portion unpacked.

Seriously :wtf: stuff going on there.

This would seep through our bricks and into our crawlspace. Also, the clay weeping tile was full of poo poo and was packed with clay.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, that's odd. Were you having mold issues due to the moisture?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

extreme_accordion posted:

You never would have had this problem if you had installed a Wilson Trapdoor!
(God does saying that date me if anyone here knows their SNL)

With Wilson Trapdoors....
It's 'outta sight!

(I love that skit :))

I know nothing about houses but that looks like it's going to suck to get fixed up, good luck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That Mike Holmes show where he goes around inspecting homes for people (usually in ON) almost always has weeping tile problems leading to weird temperature differentials or mould problems inside the house. Maybe quickly blast the remaining walls with an infrared thermometer to see if you can figure out if that's hosed anything up in the walls, unless you don't have a basement (instead just a crawlspace).

Beats me how people gently caress up a weeping tile install. It's not rocket science, assholes. There might be a class action going on against your builder for doing so, too - so check to see if you can get in on that.

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!
As a new homeowner I can only cringe along with you at those images. Christ that looks expensive. My congratulations on the baby and condolences on the repair bill.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

ow people gently caress up a weeping tile install. It's not rocket science, assholes. There might be a class action going on against your builder for doing so, too - so check to see if you can get in on that.

Didn't he say it was his grandfather-in-law who built the house?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There might be a class action going on against your builder for doing so, too - so check to see if you can get in on that.

I'll get the papers filed to bring the wife's now-deceased grandfather to court!

Also, the front of the house just has a 4' tall crawlspace (full of MR2 stuff, the wife LOVE that...). There's a 6" drain in the middle of the concrete floor that I just squeegee the water into, so there is never really any built up water issues inside the house.

madattheinternet posted:

My congratulations on the baby and condolences on the repair bill.

Yeah, could have bought a nicely used E36 3-series with the money this is going to cost. :rimshot:

But yeah, this drains the old project fund for a little while.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Things are getting better.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Home Improvement Insanity.

Now for the vapor barrier?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Home Improvement Insanity.

Now for the vapor barrier?

In the morning

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Wow, That looks so much better.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Now write your name on the wall so the next owner can see it years down the line.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

ultimateforce posted:

Now write your name on the wall so the next owner can see it years down the line.

..with Rustoleum paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

and little Sock's footprint :D

• Locked thread