Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Ok, there's not music, and then there's this.
http://gbs.fm/song/142912
I think this actually crosses a line, that line being "when speakers literally start dying".
That distortion was actually in the track though, it's not likely to break your speakers. Unless you had them too loud to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Jonnty posted:

what are you talking about, the mixing was terrible

i'd like to see you find a better-quality copy of that particular performance :colbert:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Is there a way to look back a bit further in the playlist? Lets say - just hypothetically - that someone was collecting info on interesting dongs, and then a bad thing happened and the file was truncated.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

What about re-uploading/replacing dongs that look incomplete? I was going to add this to the playlist but it's supposed to have a running time of 5:53. There was one other track I saw like that, but it was only missing about ten seconds.

Also, aside from wasting time at work the best part about being in chat has by far been finding out about http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com. I spent all goddamned morning laughing like a retard over HAVE SOME loving FESTIVE WREATH SALAD. Gbs.fm is the best thing ever as long as your musical taste has no amount of quality control. Thanks for the hard work!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

skander posted:

Is there a way to look back a bit further in the playlist? Lets say - just hypothetically - that someone was collecting info on interesting dongs, and then a bad thing happened and the file was truncated.

yes, and i'll implement a way of doing it just after doing dong timings, bulk edit, and my solution to the halting problem

AFM
Jan 16, 2004
Are the megs upon megs of Melt Banana finally gone?

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
People down ranked Papa Legba by the Talking Heads. :3:

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

AFM posted:

Are the megs upon megs of Melt Banana finally gone?

Hopefully not for long. :rock:

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Helvete posted:

What about re-uploading/replacing dongs that look incomplete? I was going to add this to the playlist but it's supposed to have a running time of 5:53. There was one other track I saw like that, but it was only missing about ten seconds.

Also, aside from wasting time at work the best part about being in chat has by far been finding out about http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com. I spent all goddamned morning laughing like a retard over HAVE SOME loving FESTIVE WREATH SALAD. Gbs.fm is the best thing ever as long as your musical taste has no amount of quality control. Thanks for the hard work!

For something like this grab Doc0 in IRC some time, he is a huge Coil fan and has a massive collection. It could be a truncated upload or it might be a different version to the one you have. Once he's checked his original against the upload either a replacing version or an alternative version can be uploaded.

Alternatively add it to the playlist anyway, if it cuts off mid song and is corrupted someone should report it.

BalthCat
Aug 11, 2010
We like Coil :3:

But not that hideous dog in the upper right D:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helvete posted:

If you see what looks like a broken dong, or its really terrible quality, upload a nice version - properly tagged - and report the old one as a dup of yours, saying you've uploaded a better quality/fixed version, for us to merge.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jormagund posted:

For something like this grab Doc0 in IRC some time, he is a huge Coil fan and has a massive collection. It could be a truncated upload or it might be a different version to the one you have. Once he's checked his original against the upload either a replacing version or an alternative version can be uploaded.

Alternatively add it to the playlist anyway, if it cuts off mid song and is corrupted someone should report it.

Good advice to triple check, especially Coil since they often have a bunch of different versions. However, in this case it looks like it got chopped. I upped the Coil pretty early on and I think the FTP was having issues. I'll fix it when I get home.

:cheers:

PS: Add more Coil

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Doctor Zero posted:

Good advice to triple check, especially Coil since they often have a bunch of different versions. However, in this case it looks like it got chopped. I upped the Coil pretty early on and I think the FTP was having issues. I'll fix it when I get home.

:cheers:

PS: Add more Coil
Though I'm sure we're pleased that we can finally play Red Queen without requesting a temp unban, I'm going to edit playable versions of other 'Musick' tracks. You know, to keep the darkness sealed within.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Peachstapler posted:

Though I'm sure we're pleased that we can finally play Red Queen without requesting a temp unban, I'm going to edit playable versions of other 'Musick' tracks. You know, to keep the darkness sealed within.

Peachstapler: please don't, when the listener count plateaus we will be happier to unban long tracks. Just like on the first version of the station we don't like home made edits (see also, looping a track or uploading tracks together, which we went through a page or two back). Please only upload band released edits/remixes etc.

The main exception to this rule is tracks with dead air, it's fine to get rid of that. I would accept anyone splitting a single track concert up into distinct tracks, but can't think of any other acceptable circumstances.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Jormagund posted:

Just like on the first version of the station we don't like home made edits
But, we did make edits for those tracks in 2004/5 and played them often, it was easier than logging into IRC and hunting someone down to unban something...

They're edited and up'd, if you want to delete them just dive in, they're at the top of my recent list. No tears will be shed.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Cheers Peachstapler, there's only a few of the mods active at the moment in IRC, I want to poll their opinions before making a final decision. Personally I don't want to set a precedent, but I'll let you know what the hive mind comes up with.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It's possible those edits were grandfathered in from before the rule existed on the old station, Peach and just slid by over time. Personally, I voted to nuke them since half the time they're badly truncated or some chucklefuck wants to edit a song down to just under the limit only to play it, regardless of quality.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Hey Peachstapler, had enough people pop by to make a quorum and sorry we're going to make it one of the official unofficial rules. (note to self: FAQ/Rules page).

For everyone else a quick summary, especially if you're new to the station

• Don't loop a track so it plays more than once
  • Don't edit two distinct tracks together, even if one continues from the other without break
  • Don't edit a track for length to bring it under the length ban (currently 11 minutes), ask a mod to unban it (we will do this based on playlist length and there's almost always a few of us active in IRC - also we will have pms on gbs.fm at some point)
  • Different edits/remixes of the song are fine as long as they were actually released (please don't be a dick and use your judgement to decide whether a track is suitably distinct to bother with uploading another version)
  • Editing to remove silence/dead air is approved, especially as we will ban songs where it is left in. If a track does have dead air followed by a hidden track/second song etc, please edit out the dead air and upload each track separately
  • Silence is allowed in John Cage's composition 4'33", before any comedian decides to report it or something

If any of this isn't clear feel free to ask myself or another mod in IRC, and I'm sorry if this sounds preachy. We're trying to do things properly from the start this time. Last time so much poo poo was uploaded at the start of the station that even when it closed we still had mis-tagged stuff. As Keru said the rule on home-made edits came in during the life of the first version of gbs.fm.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The rule of thumb here is "Don't damage that dong"

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Not a problem, gentlemen. You cannot have uneven ground when it comes to ground rules. Slippery slopes are unsavory, avoid them at all costs.

DaWolfey posted:

The rule of thumb here is "Don't damage that dong"
We find ourselves on the same page once again, old friend. Let us commence with the banning of the Apologetix discography!

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Will we have a dedicated day of damaged dong deletion? Celebrating with a delightful do of dong and dance?

And awful alliteration?

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Wowsers, gbsfm is actually back. Am I correct in assuming you have to create a new account even if you had an account back in the old gbsfm.info days?

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Boy of Joy posted:

Wowsers, gbsfm is actually back. Am I correct in assuming you have to create a new account even if you had an account back in the old gbsfm.info days?

You are indeed correct.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Scuttle_SE posted:

You are indeed correct.
Cool, registered.

So were any tracks migrated from the old gbs-fm, or is this like a clean slate? I uploaded a shitload of songs back in the day. The comments on some of those old tracks were hilarious. Guess it's time to get crackin.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Boy of Joy posted:

Cool, registered.

So were any tracks migrated from the old gbs-fm, or is this like a clean slate? I uploaded a shitload of songs back in the day. The comments on some of those old tracks were hilarious. Guess it's time to get crackin.
Some songs were migrated automatically, but all the comments were lost. You were a good uploader, I'm glad you're back.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Boy of Joy posted:

Cool, registered.

Good to have you back, be nice to have some proper noise about rather than the troll stuff.

We migrated some stuff across, everything actually played in the last few days, the fine gold tracks (?), and then stuff from the beginning of the alphabet I think all of A, maybe into B.

Unfortunately we only got the music, no comments from the old station.

However we have lots of new users going wtf and such in various dongs and delfin is still kicking around, so the new comments you'll garner may amuse you. And of course you can still view the old site. It's sort of like our version of Archives.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gonna be on Ghetto to kick off your weekend at the top of the hour! http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's great to see you back, Boy of Joy. I'm looking forward to hearing all the new stuff you've found.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Doctor Zero posted:

Gonna be on Ghetto to kick off your weekend at the top of the hour! http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls
Excellent choice to use the Devotional version of World in my eyes. :swoon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Excellent choice to use the Devotional version of World in my eyes. :swoon:

This is just the equivalent of the songs they play before a concert :ssh:

but thanks!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Come on you pricks, tune into Ghetto. Zero-G is one of the best shows on the station.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Jormagund posted:

[*]Don't edit two distinct tracks together, even if one continues from the other without break

Wait, so no Brain Damage and Eclipse? No Prologue and Twilight? No Foreplay and Long Time?

Edit: or for a real extreme example, technically Sun King, Mean Mister Mustard, Polythene Pam. and She Came In Throug The Bathroom Window are different tracks, and are divided up on the Abbey Road CD release just like that. Are you saying we can't edit those together?

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 21, 2010

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't forget to tune in at 2 am EST to hear an hour of blues... followed by an hour of whatever I want to listen to.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
A neat little feature I found tonight is that if you hover over "listeners" on the gbs.fm page, it'll show the current number of g2 and ghetto radio listeners.

I'm trying to crack the 4000 dongs uploaded barrier tonight.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

In two hours, Absolute Zero, my weekly Industrial music show will be on Ghetto radio will be on. See link in OP.

Every Saturday at 12:00 central time.

I've had requests for Covenant, Cruxshadows and more! Listen in!

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I am still unable to use the FTP server. I keep getting:

"Response: 530 Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server"

I've been trying since the 11th with zero luck. I have used every permutation of my account name (Bishop Beo, Bishop_Beo, bishop_beo, etc.) I can think of with the correct password.

What could be the issue?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jormagund posted:

We migrated some stuff across, everything actually played in the last few days, the fine gold tracks (?), and then stuff from the beginning of the alphabet I think all of A, maybe into B.

I thought we also got the most played songs, everything with a playcount of at least 8 or something.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Bishop Beo posted:

I am still unable to use the FTP server. I keep getting:

"Response: 530 Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server"

I've been trying since the 11th with zero luck. I have used every permutation of my account name (Bishop Beo, Bishop_Beo, bishop_beo, etc.) I can think of with the correct password.

What could be the issue?

This is just a guess, but check if your transfer mode is set to passive. Having a client set to active blocked me from getting into some FTPs for the longest time.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

This is just a guess, but check if your transfer mode is set to passive. Having a client set to active blocked me from getting into some FTPs for the longest time.

I've tried both passive and active, no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Never mind.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 22, 2010

• Locked thread