Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lothire posted:

I recently picked up a new brake lever and hooked up the front brake cable - an act that I am insanely proud of - but I find the lever has a ton of resistance and I can't fully "pull" on the lever with my fingers. I'm not sure if this is because the brake cable is old (thus somehow defective) or if there's some kind of nut I can loose/tighten that will make the pull much less resistant. It's a '72 Honda CL175.

It's my first bike and I'm diving head first into the service manual, but it isn't helping much in this regard.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the pad actuating mechanism itself, the most likely culprit is that the cable inner has corroded such that it can't move against the outer. It really doesn't take much for this to happen. What's more, if that's an ancient cable that's been flopping about loose, it may be impossible to solve the problem with a cable oiler, and even if you get it moving, it will probably have seized again in a couple of days.

Honestly, the easiest thing is to order a new pattern front brake cable (ie aftermarket, not official Honda) - you can probably get one for the price of a cable oiler and a can of WD40.

Get that front hub apart so you can check the mechanism's working properly and see how much friction material is still left on the pads (that way if you need new pads, you can order them when you're getting your cable).

SlightlyMadman, my pal with the Bonneville has done me proud and rejected the dealer's offer to remove the air injection. Blue headers ahoy. Nice bike too - his is blue and cream with the comstar style wheels and hardly any chrome.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saga posted:

SlightlyMadman, my pal with the Bonneville has done me proud and rejected the dealer's offer to remove the air injection. Blue headers ahoy. Nice bike too - his is blue and cream with the comstar style wheels and hardly any chrome.

I'm incredibly jealous! There's of course something to be said for black and chrome and I love the look of my bike, but it is a bit lacking in personality.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm incredibly jealous! There's of course something to be said for black and chrome and I love the look of my bike, but it is a bit lacking in personality.

Nothing wrong with black!

One thing I like about the SE, unless I'm imagining it, is that the bars seem to be a little narrower and pulled back slightly compared to the older Hinckley Bonnes.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Two questions:

1) I bought new mirrors for my bike. New and old are the stalk type, but the new one is too thin for the old retainer. Is there some kind of adapter available or am I SOL?

2) (one of) My front brake discs is warped. How easy is such a thing replaced and what kind of tools do I need?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KARMA! posted:

Two questions:

1) I bought new mirrors for my bike. New and old are the stalk type, but the new one is too thin for the old retainer. Is there some kind of adapter available or am I SOL?

2) (one of) My front brake discs is warped. How easy is such a thing replaced and what kind of tools do I need?

Maybe an adapter, but you might be better off figuring off what sort of thread it is and just purchasing a little threaded mount for the handlebars that you can mount your mirror on. I used these:
http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestore.com/productdetail.htm?productId=8329909&ez=56-9990

Just buy the appropriate replacement part, remove front wheel, remove ~6 rotor bolts, swap rotors, and put the bolts back in, locktite/torque to spec, and reinstall wheel. Super easy.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
nvm

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 25, 2010

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Terminal posted:

Lube dat cable

Awesome, this worked really well. It still has some resistance, but I can access the full range of breaking power without straining every ounce of finger strength. Thanks.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007

FieryMatrix posted:

I see lots of advice on sites advising against 600cc+ first bikes (duh), but not much saying whether a Ninja 500 is too big to start on. I don't want to start on something too powerful for me and get injured/killed, but my local market for Ninja 500s seems better valued than the jacked up prices for the Ninja 250s (which is what I was originally looking for).

Long question short: Is the Ninja 500 too big/powerful for a first bike?

Thanks!

You got your answer last page, but a Ninja 500 is my first bike. Damned fun as-is, and no problem doing highway speed. Get ready, however, for a bike straight outta the 90's.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Alright, need help diagnosing electric crap.

Bike didn't start, turns out the battery's completely dead, even though it's been my daily driver for the last couple of years. Got it bump-started, it ran fine, battery was still dead after a 90 minute drive. Does this mean my rectifier-regulator has taken a dump? It's a late model DR650se, if that matters.

I'm going to trickle-charge the battery to make sure it isn't just a battery that went inexplicably dead all on its own.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nate Falls posted:

Alright, need help diagnosing electric crap.

Bike didn't start, turns out the battery's completely dead, even though it's been my daily driver for the last couple of years. Got it bump-started, it ran fine, battery was still dead after a 90 minute drive. Does this mean my rectifier-regulator has taken a dump? It's a late model DR650se, if that matters.

I'm going to trickle-charge the battery to make sure it isn't just a battery that went inexplicably dead all on its own.

Your battery could simply be dead.. My SV's battery took a poo poo and wouldn't charge at all either no matter how long I rode it. Tested the charging system, plopped in a new battery and now I ride it to work every day without sweating balls in my gear trying to get it bump started.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

SaNChEzZ posted:

Your battery could simply be dead.. My SV's battery took a poo poo and wouldn't charge at all either no matter how long I rode it. Tested the charging system, plopped in a new battery and now I ride it to work every day without sweating balls in my gear trying to get it bump started.

Batteries do that? I just assumed there would be a period where it would get shittier and shittier without just going straight doornail on me.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
If the battery was completely dead and the bike ran at all then the charging system must be functioning enough to at least generate spark.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I hosed around with a dead/dying battery for a bit and it's not worth it. Just get a new one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nate Falls posted:

Batteries do that? I just assumed there would be a period where it would get shittier and shittier without just going straight doornail on me.

Mine held a charge until one day it wouldn't start. Then I'd have to jump it in the morning and bump it when I left work. poo poo was brutal. Also, if yours happens to take a X12-BS I have a brand spankin new one in Los Angeles for the low price of $30 (bought the wrong god drat battery the first time)

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

SaNChEzZ posted:

Mine held a charge until one day it wouldn't start. Then I'd have to jump it in the morning and bump it when I left work. poo poo was brutal. Also, if yours happens to take a X12-BS I have a brand spankin new one in Los Angeles for the low price of $30 (bought the wrong god drat battery the first time)

Looks like I'm a x9-BS. My SV takes an X12, though. I'll see if that one needs to be replaced too.

Hey, wait, you're in LA? Do you happen to have a multimeter I could borrow, and live on the eastside?

edit: also, where's a good local place to buy that sort of thing cheap? Does Target/Wallyworld carry bike batteries?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Picked up a small sony handicam so i can watch post game footage. What is the trusted method of attaching it to the bike? This looks promising But what do other people use? Ram mounts?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Picked up a small sony handicam so i can watch post game footage. What is the trusted method of attaching it to the bike? This looks promising But what do other people use? Ram mounts?

I used that but the rail acts like a tuning fork and will vibrate a lot on the end, causing the footage to blur or even chop as the writer on the tape jumps.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
What can I do to cure disc brake squeak? My '80 Honda CB750F has dual front disc brakes and I've got tons of pad left on both sides of both calipers.

It squeaks under light to medium braking but under heavy braking it's quiet.

On a possibly related note, one of the front calipers might be dragging just a little bit, would changing the brake fluid that's of unknown vintage possibly help?

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Rontalvos posted:

What can I do to cure disc brake squeak? My '80 Honda CB750F has dual front disc brakes and I've got tons of pad left on both sides of both calipers.

It squeaks under light to medium braking but under heavy braking it's quiet.

On a possibly related note, one of the front calipers might be dragging just a little bit, would changing the brake fluid that's of unknown vintage possibly help?

For the squeak, first try wiping the rotors down with brake cleaner, you'll be amazed how much nasty residue will come off.

If that doesn't fix it completely, grab a little packet of anti-squeal from the counter at AutoZone. Put small dabs on the back of each pad in the center of the piston contact area and spread it around a little.

For the dragging caliper, the caliper pins most likely need some grease. Can probably pick it up in small packets at AutoZone as well, it's usually a copper-based grease for heat resistance. Wipe down the pins themselves with some brake cleaner (don't get any on the rubber boots!) and grease generously. Work the caliper halves together and apart a couple times to distribute the grease.

Changing the fluid probably won't help with the sticky caliper, but it won't hurt and is always a good idea every 2-3 years.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1923950615.html

1994 Honda Nighthawk in San Diego, CA, asking $750 OBO. It looks pretty nice overall but apparently it quits under throttle application.

I'm new to motorcycle repair, but this looks like a good cheap way to cut my teeth on a bike I'd like to ride anyways. Anything I should be worried about here? Any ideas on what the problem could be?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Probably running really lean when the throttles openned, most likely from someone taking poor care of it and letting the jets clog up. Might have a good running a bike with a little seafoam or gumout. Might have to to tear into the carbs and clear out the jets.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Probably running really lean when the throttles openned, most likely from someone taking poor care of it and letting the jets clog up. Might have a good running a bike with a little seafoam or gumout. Might have to to tear into the carbs and clear out the jets.

The thought of an otherwise decent bike running after some Seafoam, even if it's not a sure thing, for $500-600 is a pretty tempting thought...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Radbot posted:

The thought of an otherwise decent bike running after some Seafoam, even if it's not a sure thing, for $500-600 is a pretty tempting thought...

Even if it needs some kind of carburettor overhaul, it'd still be worth it, the Nighthawks I think are pretty awesome and to sound cliche, engines are pretty bulletproof.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Stupid question time again. What exactly does the second throttle cable do? It looks like it's there to push the throttle closed. Seems pretty redundant what with the spring doing that for you.

Edit: A few more minutes with Google gave me the magic answer. Safety feature, correct? Still seems redundant. The spring seems unlikely to fail.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 30, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

chryst posted:

Safety feature, correct? Still seems redundant.

Correct. The safety is in the redundancy. Hence the term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_%28engineering%29

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chryst posted:

Stupid question time again. What exactly does the second throttle cable do? It looks like it's there to push the throttle closed. Seems pretty redundant what with the spring doing that for you.

Edit: A few more minutes with Google gave me the magic answer. Safety feature, correct? Still seems redundant. The spring seems unlikely to fail.

The push-pull cable is more useful in a flat-slide scenario, where the throttle slide is much more likely to not want to close, but really its there as an extra safeguard against the throttle spring jamming or breaking

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Some people remove the spring, so they have cruise control

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Ola posted:

Correct. The safety is in the redundancy. Hence the term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_%28engineering%29
Fair enough. I probably meant excessive. I got curious about it, since I put higher risers on, and need longer cables. That meant taking a close look at them for once, and noticing that the second cable didn't seem useful enough to be there.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Not all bikes have it, so it's not like not having a front brake or silly chopper things like that.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think Suzuki saved money on my GS by only putting one cable and using a wrist snapping throttle return spring. I'd be much happier with a dual setup if it safely made it easier to turn.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Does anyone know of there being battery issues with the newer EFI Triumphs? I have a 2009 Bonneville that seems to have a dead battery after just sitting for a week, and googling for it found some random forum posting by somebody talking all about poor voltage tolerances in the 2009 Bonnevilles that mean you can't start the bike unless the battery is almost completely charged.

It would actually make sense, as the lights and everything come on perfectly bright, and I can hear a bit of a click as I press the ignition, but it's simply not turning over.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

SlightlyMadman posted:

Does anyone know of there being battery issues with the newer EFI Triumphs? I have a 2009 Bonneville that seems to have a dead battery after just sitting for a week, and googling for it found some random forum posting by somebody talking all about poor voltage tolerances in the 2009 Bonnevilles that mean you can't start the bike unless the battery is almost completely charged.

It would actually make sense, as the lights and everything come on perfectly bright, and I can hear a bit of a click as I press the ignition, but it's simply not turning over.

Triumph hosed up the ECU for the EFI models. It is programmed to disable start when your battery drops below 12.6V which is ridiculous high. Should have been more like 11.5V. Your dealer should be able to reprogram. Ask him about a "urban tune".

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ah cool, I wasn't sure if that was actually a real thing or just random internet ranting, but that's basically what the forum post I found was saying as well. Since I park it on the street there's no way for me to keep the battery topped off so I'll definitely have to look into that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nate Falls posted:

Looks like I'm a x9-BS. My SV takes an X12, though. I'll see if that one needs to be replaced too.

Hey, wait, you're in LA? Do you happen to have a multimeter I could borrow, and live on the eastside?

edit: also, where's a good local place to buy that sort of thing cheap? Does Target/Wallyworld carry bike batteries?

I'm on the best-side, but I do have a multimeter if you wanna ride out and grab it? I got it at harborfreight for like $5.. but walmart or any auto store (pep boys, etc.) should have one. Walmart also sells the batteries you need, 12-BS and 9-BS IIRC.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Should I be worried that my SV won't start unless I give it throttle as I hit the starter button? Choke is on.

I'm also looking around for reasonably priced suspension upgrades. Has anyone done business with this seller? The prices are low enough that they're worrisome, yet the seller has great feedback. Or are the parts knock-offs?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Blaster of Justice posted:

Ask him about a "urban tune".

Make sure to ask them to polish those headers as well! :angel:

How much of a pain is the battery to remove? If you don't ride it every day ("sitting for a week"), just pull the battery, take it home and leave it on a trickle-charger.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

Make sure to ask them to polish those headers as well! :angel:

How much of a pain is the battery to remove? If you don't ride it every day ("sitting for a week"), just pull the battery, take it home and leave it on a trickle-charger.

Actually Triumphs first solution to this problem was to offer a mini-charger to frame mount and advise the customer to charge the battery at least every second day if riding short trips in an urban environments. Pretty arrogant in my opinion.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I generally ride every day, but had a head injury (not motorcycle related) and couldn't wear my helmet, so I couldn't ride until it healed. Now that I know it will happen, it's not a huge deal I guess, as like you said I can just take out the battery if I know I won't be riding for some reason.

The bike did actually come with a hard wired hook-up for a battery tender, so I suppose I should have seen it coming. I'm half wondering if I should just run a line out to the street so I can leave it hooked up overnight, but hopefully it won't become a big deal unless I have more head injuries.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

had a head injury (not motorcycle related)

That sucks!

But from what Blaster of Justice says above, your local dealer should be able to solve the problem by reflashing the ECU. So you should only have to worry about taking out the battery if you're going to leave it sitting for a month or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really, I would accept no less than an ECU reflash or a new updated ECU on something as new as an 09. Thats just retarded ECU programming on their part, and telling you that you should plug it in every other day is even more dumb.