Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

And don't forget the chat gem that will let you fight a super diablo! (Although they eventually did have a super diablo you could fight, just not through the chat gem)

I wonder what ridiculous rumor Diablo 3 will have :allears:

Also, Natalya mysteriously disappearing after Mephisto is killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryedegg
Jan 13, 2004
Everquest killed my libido (and my cat). 8(
To revive Aeris in Final Fantasy VII, do the following: <insert massive timesink and/or impossible task here>.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

chairface posted:

Final Fantasy II (US)/IV (Japan)

There's a door outline (like for a secret door that has a switch somewhere) in one of the chambers on the moon. I think the Namingway room. This in combination with the Pink item that had no apparent use led to all sorts of bullshit people spewed about what magic number of Pinks would result in that drat door opening. And what was behind the door was also a source of a lot of bullshit.

IIRC, it's either just a glitch and there's no door there, or it's something they changed for the US version, and is something boring/unimportant in the Japanese version anyway. No great mystery, and nothing at all to do with those drat Pinks.

The smiley face made out of craters on the moon, and the Mars face being a terrain feature there that had no obvious purpose also was a source of a lot of completely unfounded rumors, again usually linked to either Pinks or that drat door outline.

Funnily enough, the bonus dungeon in FF4 Advance is under the Mars face :tinfoil:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Ocarina of Time had a dumb rumor about the original Spirit Temple music being removed because it gave kids nightmares. The real reason it was removed was because it contained a verse from the Koran in the chanting, so naturally Muslims got pissed off.

Ocarina of Time was actually censored twice. The other bit of censorship was changing Ganon's blood from red to green when you kill him at the end of the game.

Also, to put this poo poo to rest, yes there is a legitimate way to get Mew in Red/Blue/Yellow without using a cheat device. It involves glitching the game in Ceruelan city. Its just that nobody found out how to do it until years later.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 30, 2010

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ocarina of Time had a dumb rumor about the original Spirit Temple music being removed because it gave kids nightmares. The real reason it was removed was because it contained a verse from the Koran in the chanting, so naturally Muslims got pissed off.

It was the fire temple, and yes it had some bits of a muslim call to prayer in it.

Well as long as we're mentioning made up stuff like killswitch, Pokemans Black! http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BobTheJanitor posted:

The Killswitch story sounds neat until you start to think for a few seconds. How do you make a file that can't be copied, and how do you make something that will delete itself to an 'unrecoverable' state? Maybe with magical fairy computers you can do this, but with real world computers if you have data on a disk, you can copy that data to another type of media. Especially in 1989. Data security back then mostly consisted of saying 'please don't copy this disk, thanks'. And for magically deleting itself... cut a little U in the side of the floppy disk. Boom, now it's write protected and can't magically delete itself.

Killswitch may not exist, but the original version of Command and Conquer's uninstaller had a slight problem where instead of deleting the game's folder, COMMAND, it deleted COMMAND.COM.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

RentACop posted:

It was the fire temple, and yes it had some bits of a muslim call to prayer in it.

Well as long as we're mentioning made up stuff like killswitch, Pokemans Black! http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack

Pokemon Black is a really great hoax, but I think a lot of people that make up Pokemon hoaxes assume you can do a lot more with bootlegging cartridges then you actually can.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Killswitch may not exist, but the original version of Command and Conquer's uninstaller had a slight problem where instead of deleting the game's folder, COMMAND, it deleted COMMAND.COM.

EVE Online one uped that when one of their updates deleted boot.ini.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

When I was a kid playing Diddy Kong Racing for N64 I read about a cheat that supposedly let you play as Titty Kong who was apparently comprised entirely of titties. I even asked my dad for help on how to use it.

Note: I had not yet discovered titties.

Edit: When I beat OoT in February 1999 Ganondorf's blood was definitely red.

Dumbfire Rocketman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 30, 2010

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SpaceBees posted:

EVE Online one uped that when one of their updates deleted boot.ini.

Continuing the chain, Myth2 deleted whatever directory it was in, so god help you if you decided to install it anywhere but the default one. Apparently they caught it in time and that never actually got out to the consumers though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor had a bug where it would delete your Windows system files on uninstall.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Anyone have any information on Warcraft Adventures? Never was a Warcraft fan, but the story is interesting.

It was a point and click style adventure game were you played as an Orc. The entire game was completed, but it got canceled at the last minute. Its just weird to think that in some office on some guy's hard drive is a fully complete Warcraft game that nobody will ever play.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Ermac in Mortal Kombat. Before MK3 his existence was a rumor that began from an "ERMAC" listing in the MK1 audit menu. The counter apparently incremented when reptile or scorpion was mistakenly displayed with red instead of green/yellow. There still isn't really a solid source of agreeing information on any of this.

I always heard it as "ERMAC" being short for the game pitching an "ERROR MACRO", resulting in the game loading up a blank template character. It just happened to be represented by a 13th palette swap of the same ninja that'd been palette swapped 12 times.

So basically the MissingNo of Mortal Kombat.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 30, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

SpaceBees posted:

Anyone have any information on Warcraft Adventures? Never was a Warcraft fan, but the story is interesting.

It was a point and click style adventure game were you played as an Orc. The entire game was completed, but it got canceled at the last minute. Its just weird to think that in some office on some guy's hard drive is a fully complete Warcraft game that nobody will ever play.

There are a couple videos on youtube, but I don't think the game was actually finished. It was cancelled because as the game started to come together, Blizzard realised that the whole thing just wasn't very fun.

Also the animation company they were using was the one responsible for those infamous zelda cutscenes.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Killswitch sounds like what would happen if Suda 51 and David Cage collaborated on a game.

I'd say the only one of these that I know anything about is the old Stop n' Swop dealie with the Banjo-Kazooie series.

Basically, there were a bunch of items in the first Banjo-Kazooie game which could only be accessed by inputting special cheat codes (which were extracted from the ROM and appear to have been intended for debug purposes, not player use). These items served no purpose, and when collected appeared on a new menu screen called "Stop n' Swop." The implication was that these items would have some sort of use in the sequel. And, indeed, that was exactly what Rare intended them for. Stop n' Swop was going to be a feature where, by hot swapping back and forth between the first and second game, you could unlock stuff.

Sadly, however, this feature never came to fruition, mostly because of changes in the N64 hardware which made such hot swapping much less feasible. As a result, Stop n' Swop was more or less abandoned...

...kinda. Even though Stop n' Swop was officially dead, people were still intrigued with the idea, and decided to start digging through the ROMs of both games to see if any remnants of the old features remained. While the might seem, simple it wasn't. See, the Banjo-Kazooie games are very interestingly programmed, in that they seem to be specifically designed to make it hard to look through the ROM for stuff. Case in point, no one even knew the secret items existed before the debug codes were hacked, even though some of these items had whole unique rooms and models associated with them. It was almost as though Rare knew people were going to hack their game looking for stuff and made their code as convoluted as possible to mask their secrets.

Where Stop n' Swop gets interesting is in later Rare games. See, Rare likes trolling their fans. They really do. So in basically every game they've released since Banjo-Tooie, they've included some sly remark about Stop n' Swop and how "mysterious" it is. Case in point, in Grabbed by the Ghoulies there's a whiteboard with cryptic "hints" on how to get Stop n' Swop to work...which are of course total bullshit but still got people worked up for a few months.

What I'm saying is Stop n' Swop is basically the greatest troll ever pulled off by a developer, and probably one of the reasons Banjo-Kazooie remained so relevant to a lot of people through the years.

As an aside, one good thing to come of all this is that hackers, in looking for Stop n' Swop, have managed to pull out a ton of interesting "abandoned" features from Banjo-Tooie and Banjo-Kazooie, including...

-A two-player co-op mode for the main game of Banjo-Tooie
-Several unused maps in Banjo-Tooie
-Several unused music tracks in Banjo-Kazooie
-Bottles' Revenge (This is pretty incredible, it's a more or less full-featured mode which allows a second player to control enemies, and it even gets its own intro cutscene. No one knows why it was removed other than...well...it's a little awkward to play)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
No-one's mentioned the Tomb Raider Nude Cheat? :psyduck: well now I feel old. Except some of these are older so...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SpaceBees posted:

Yeah, they ended up cutting it because the game frankly looked like warmed over poo poo. It wasn't a complete waste though as they used the story as lore for what officially happened between WC2 and 3.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Cowcaster posted:

I always heard it as "ERMAC" being short for the game pitching an "ERROR MACRO", resulting in the game loading up a blank template character. It just happened to be represented by a 13th palette swap of the same ninja that'd been palette swapped 12 times.

So basically the MissingNo of Mortal Kombat.

Yep this is true but midway realized the curiosity it sparked and started doing this on purpose for a lot of their games like the 'Kano Transformations' in MK2.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

Edit: When I beat OoT in February 1999 Ganondorf's blood was definitely red.

There were different versions of OoT, the gold cartridge had red blood, the Muslim chant, and the glitch where you save and quit after Ganon knocks the sword out of your hand and by being sword-less can do all sorts of crazy stuff by using the hookshot while riding Epona. Future releases removed the glitch, changed the blood green, and removed the hymn.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Rocketlex posted:

Stop n' Swop

Didn't they add Stop n' Swop related goodies to the xbox arcade releases?

HoldYourFire posted:

No-one's mentioned the Tomb Raider Nude Cheat? :psyduck: well now I feel old. Except some of these are older so...

Well that one was real...sorta. You had to hack the game or something, but it was possible.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Amorphous Blob posted:

Well that one was real...sorta. You had to hack the game or something, but it was possible.

It was a very crude version of texture hacking if I remember correctly.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Amorphous Blob posted:

Didn't they add Stop n' Swop related goodies to the xbox arcade releases?

Yep, and that was more or less the end of the mystery.

That said, with all the crazy crap people have managed to pull out of those old carts thus far, I don't think the hackery is going to stop any time soon. Like I said, thus stuff is really well hidden. Bottles' Revenge, for example, wasn't found until many, many years after the SnS search began, despite having its own models, dialog, cutscene, and radar screen associated with it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Not exactly a hoax or anything, but Goldeneye. When the game came out, the back of the box had two pictures of a gun that wasn't available in the campaign.

And the manual mentioned something about a gun called the "Spyder."

Now then, to an impressionable kid at 12, that's a god damned challenge. I started going through the game in ridiculous ways (especially Archives because the back of the box had screenshots from that level). Blowing up every box in a level, trying to get ridiculous self-imposed challenges in the hardest mode, et cetera.

Only a year later did I learn that they renamed the Spyder juuust before release. After Ken Lobb, one of the devs on the game. So the Spyder—the secret weapon that had me searching the entire game twice through—had turned into the Klobb.

:eng99:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

f#a# posted:

Not exactly a hoax or anything, but Goldeneye. When the game came out, the back of the box had two pictures of a gun that wasn't available in the campaign.

And the manual mentioned something about a gun called the "Spyder."

Now then, to an impressionable kid at 12, that's a god damned challenge. I started going through the game in ridiculous ways (especially Archives because the back of the box had screenshots from that level). Blowing up every box in a level, trying to get ridiculous self-imposed challenges in the hardest mode, et cetera.

Only a year later did I learn that they renamed the Spyder juuust before release. After Ken Lobb, one of the devs on the game. So the Spyder—the secret weapon that had me searching the entire game twice through—had turned into the Klobb.

:eng99:

I'm pretty sure that gun is just a beta model of the KF7, since the perfect dark one looks very similar.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

f#a# posted:

Not exactly a hoax or anything, but Goldeneye.
Goldeneye also had the distant island visible from the Dam that had people trying everything to get to it. Turned out to be some half finished extension to the level that the developers just cut. Also there was one multiplayer level that wasn't in the final game that people managed to pull out of the game files and turn into a playable level finally after years.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I don't watch a lot of anime anymore, but my favorite manga series is Blade of the Immortal, and I really liked Way of the Samurai for the PS2, it was a fun fighting game/adventure game that had cool combat and a crazy 70s Afro Samurai and the Japanese equivalent to Mongo, so I was sold.

I talk to my friend and he shows me several websites that say if you get so many points, you can unlock the main character to the Blade of the Immortal series. I flipped poo poo and beat that game with every ending and grinded out the points for no reason as he was only in the Japanese version.

I am also a huge fan of the Resident Evil 2 EGM rumor that said you can unlock Akuma from Street Fighter who has RPGesque Gou Hadoukens and poo poo. They even had screenshots from Street Fighter EX+ imposed in RE2 backgrounds.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I once belonged to a message board back in the early days of the internet when message boards didn't even have passwords (you typed in your name every time) that was dedicated to finding Oddjob and Mayday in single player Goldeneye. It was a massive flamefest as people posted fake claims and people exchanged threats of physical violence over video games.

Mind you, this was 1998. We didn't quite understand this internet business.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
I remember trying to finish all 100 levels as quickly as possible in the original Bust-a-Move for SNES because I was convinced, if done fast enough, that would unlock a Super Bubble Bobble to play.

No supporting evidence or anything. Just managed to convince myself that it would happen.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

OilSlick posted:

It was a massive flamefest as people posted fake claims and people exchanged threats of physical violence over video games.

Mind you, this was 1998. We didn't quite understand this internet business.
I don't know, sounds like you had it down pat.

For a whole lot of this sort of thing, check out tvtropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UrbanLegendOfZelda Of course this does mean you have to put up with reading tvtropes. As long as you ignore any line that includes the phrase 'this troper' you should be mostly safe.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Amorphous Blob posted:

But there's nothing in the actual games that makes her nude. It was an April Fools joke (I think) in a UK games magazine when the first Tomb Raider was out - they had screenshots of the game where Lara was obviously wearing no clothes, but with big yellow stars printed to cover most of her body because you couldn't show that kind of thing in a family magazine, no sir. They printed some kind of code you had to input which obviously didn't work

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, they ended up cutting it because the game frankly looked like warmed over poo poo. It wasn't a complete waste though as they used the story as lore for what officially happened between WC2 and 3.
The game didn't look too bad, in fairness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqJ9W_E3jI.

That footage is from an alpha build. Considering the game was due out in 1997, same year as Curse of Monkey Island was released, it's pretty comparable. The late 90s were the death throes of the adventure genre, I think Blizzard just didn't want to take the risk. Even Lucas Arts backed off after Grim Fandango.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

SpaceBees posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqJ9W_E3jI It's loving terrible. It's animated worse than... well, even indie adventure games made today can be more impressive.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 31, 2010

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan
Oct 3, 2008

by mons al-madeen
Also not exactly a hoax but the box for Turok 3 says there are 48 multiplayer levels but there are only about half that amount.

There are also quite a few cheats that I don't think have ever been unlocked because I've never seen them mentioned anywhere.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Amorphous Blob posted:

You could edit the PC game's texture file and change Lara's clothing texture images to skin tones. If that means the naked Lara code is 'real', then there's also a real Mario 64 nude code.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

adamarama posted:

The game didn't look too bad, in fairness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqJ9W_E3jI.

That footage is from an alpha build. Considering the game was due out in 1997, same year as Curse of Monkey Island was released, it's pretty comparable. The late 90s were the death throes of the adventure genre, I think Blizzard just didn't want to take the risk. Even Lucas Arts backed off after Grim Fandango.

Yeah, it doesn't look that bad, given how it's an leaked alpha version. It just painfully looks like a '90s point-and-click adventure title. From a company that prides itself on refining the hell out of their titles (and thus the genre it's in), I can understand why they canned it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rocketlex posted:

Where Stop n' Swop gets interesting is in later Rare games. See, Rare likes trolling their fans. They really do. So in basically every game they've released since Banjo-Tooie, they've included some sly remark about Stop n' Swop and how "mysterious" it is. Case in point, in Grabbed by the Ghoulies there's a whiteboard with cryptic "hints" on how to get Stop n' Swop to work...which are of course total bullshit but still got people worked up for a few months.

Don't forget that you obtained the items in Banjo-Tooie by killing these guys:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Man I wish that Killswitch game was real, just reading that whole story behind it gave me the chills.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Leovinus posted:

You could edit the PC game's texture file and change Lara's clothing texture images to skin tones. If that means the naked Lara code is 'real', then there's also a real Mario 64 nude code.

In the same vein, a lot of the old hoaxes we talked about in the middle school lunchroom are actually possible with action replay or gameshark, etc. The two I tried were bringing aeris back and getting mew. Aeris technically works in that you can stick her in your party and use her in combat, but she doesn't have any lines and you can't switch her out unless you go to an event that forces you to use a set party, after which you can't switch her back in. Mew works fine, you can put it into a party slot with a gameshark. I heard nintendo had some plans to give it away in promotions or something, all of the files and poo poo are on the cartridges. There's no way to get it by walking back and forth in front of a truck or whatever, though.

Dispersal Dream
Apr 14, 2009

RentACop posted:

Continuing the chain, Myth2 deleted whatever directory it was in, so god help you if you decided to install it anywhere but the default one. Apparently they caught it in time and that never actually got out to the consumers though

This isn't a hoax. They had to replace all the retail copies for the Asian version right before release, severely impacting the game's profits.

The financial impact of this was a big factor in the acquisition of Bungie by Microsoft. The last decade's history of FPSs could be quite different if not for the Myth glitch. It also led to Oni and Myth getting farmed out to other companies, leading to the terrible Myth III (:gonk:).

Who knows what the Halo series might have been like with a more Marathon-esque plot?

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I don't think anyone on the entire planet didn't try to collect 32 soldiers in final fantasy 7 after misreading the name of the item as "1 out of 32 soldiers" instead of "1/32 scaled soldier". I think the fact that that seemed like a reasonable goal made it that much worse.

I don't think anyone on the planet understood 'someone close to you is in trouble" as referring to anything but shalea in chrono trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
One of the earlier such hoaxes has to be the "Jet Set Willy" hoax in which waiting on the yacht until game-time midnight would allow you to sail to a desert island (and, in some repetitions of the hoax, would also fix the bug in the attic that made the game impossible to complete). Doing this involved leaving the game running for many hours, and actually achieved nothing.