Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I didn't know it wasn't cool to use Winamp anymore

gently caress it, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Kilonum posted:

LIES

You seriously like to have that on your 2nd monitor rather than external views or instrument panels :psyduck:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
OLD PEOPLE FOR WINAMP UNITE

I still use the Classic skin, too. :corsair:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Chrome Radio Player
Grooveshark.com
Pandora.com
(and I keep Winamp around for a handful of mp3s)

But since gbs-fm has started back up, Chrome Radio Player is pretty much all I need.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

delfin posted:

Me too, why change what isn't broken?

(I used the Win 98 theme when I ran XP too, but when I changed to 7 I stuck with Aero because I like it).

And I still have a floppy drive :colbert:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Daimo posted:

You seriously like to have that on your 2nd monitor rather than external views or instrument panels :psyduck:

X-plane doesn't handle a second monitor all that well, this is the best it will do:

and on some planes that is annoying as hell. especially when the upper monitor is 7 feet away (really a 40" TV) and the lower one 2 feet away.

[/derail]

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

delfin posted:

Hell yes! :hfive:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Fuschia tude posted:

This is why we need some sort of automatic volume leveling across all songs. <:geno:>

I may make fun of a lot of music and there are songs I cannot stand, but it actually makes me angry when something comes on that that raises the volume from 2 to 11. It's just plain obnoxious to me and it hurts my ears.

If you're gonna do that, put up a warning or something. If there's a plugin for winamp that will normalize the stream, I'd be happier.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
One of these days the stream will have replaygain, which should smooth out most of that. Just make sure you're paying attention to the playlist in case someone adds ODE TO LOUD.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I use winamp with some fancy skin, it's probably the best player that works with Last FM.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh, sorry, Spankmeister was having trouble connecting to the FTP site I thought, because I wasn't reading carefully, and then I saw he wasn't connecting to the FTP port, so I thought I was being helpful but actually I'm an idjit and he was having trouble with IRC.

Anyway in other news, I would like to personally thank gbs.fm user leebenningfield for uploading (and scheduling to play!) two whole albums from H.P. Lovecraft (the band), because I was searching for it before and sad it wasn't there. Something my stepdad introduced me to years ago that I only very recently remembered.

So thanks, leebenningfield.

Edit: oh yeah, and I use winamp too. It's free and it works.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I use Winamp and have the best skin ever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I use Winamp and have the best skin ever

where did you get that? I want it.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

bowmore posted:

where did you get that? I want it.
There's quite a few here: http://www.angelfire.com/home/dcau/Winamp/Pokeskins.html

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?
I've been running WinAmp Pro for 6 years (ever since I switched from Mac to PC).

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Nihiliste posted:

Anyone who prefers ELO over Pink Floyd is an enemy of music!

I get this quite a lot on GBS-FM.

delfin posted:

Winamp is fine for me. Standard classic skin, everything minimized to the bars. All I need is the global hotkeys, the volume slider and the playlist telling me what's currently playing.

Here's an ascii representation of what my winamp looks like:

-=

:smug:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

GBS FM is the only thing I use WinAmp for. Otherwise, I use my zune software (which isn't compatible with live feeds, apparently). It actually took me a minute to remember which button does what.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The thing about Winamp is that pre 3.0 it was actually a nice player (I used 2.91 for ages). Nowadays the winamp people are a bunch of commercialized dicks who make bloated software (yes, winamp is not "simple", it's acutally rather bloated.

I use foobar2000, it's a lot better. Lean and mean. And it works with last.fm just fine.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I'm using the Windows gadget for GBS FM these days, and it's extraordinarily convenient except for the periodic freeze.

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
Can I toss my name in the hat, to add a rule that you must name the song title, artist, album correctly, or it will be deleted?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

leebenningfield posted:

I've been running WinAmp Pro for 6 years (ever since I switched from Mac to PC).

I hope you haven't updated recently. I made that mistake. They added all sorts of useless garbage. Now I'll probably dump it and use VLC or something.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

I.T Zander posted:

Can I toss my name in the hat, to add a rule that you must name the song title, artist, album correctly, or it will be deleted?
We do that in extreme circumstances, such as when someone uploaded 300 mistagged Queen dongs, but otherwise it's not too much of a hassle to retag. Plus, adding "Unknown Artist - Unknown" is such a thrill: who knows what you might get!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I hope you haven't updated recently. I made that mistake. They added all sorts of useless garbage. Now I'll probably dump it and use VLC or something.
They literally do this everytime they up the version number.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Doctor Zero posted:

WinAmp is generally fine so long as you opt out of a lot of things during installation.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Yeah it still just sits in the corner of my screen, playing music and using no resources. Having other options that I never use don't bother me none.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I am gonna get poo poo for saying this, but I like using iTunes.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I am gonna get poo poo for saying this, but I like using iTunes.
I like iTunes for organizing and playing my library. I tried to switch to something else, tried probably a dozen alternatives, but I ended up coming back to iTunes because nothing else does it as cleanly. I'm looking to switch back to iPhone again after switching to Android a month or so back, for the same reason.

But GBS.fm and Ghettoradio are a different matter. I keep a pair of streaming apps on my Win7 sidebar, always ready to start one or the other up at a moment's notice. Right beside them are a volume gadget with VU meters, and a spectrum analyzer, both of which flash nicely when anything at all on my system is making noise. All of this is on my secondary monitor, so I can always get to it even with games running on the main monitor.

(my sidebar isn't usually so ugly. I'm looking at it via remote desktop, the yellow is a side effect of that.)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 1, 2010

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Robot Hobo posted:

I like iTunes for organizing and playing my library. I tried to switch to something else, tried probably a dozen alternatives, but I ended up coming back to iTunes because nothing else does it as cleanly. I'm looking to switch back to iPhone again after switching to Android a month or so back, for the same reason.

But GBS.fm and Ghettoradio are a different matter. I keep a pair of streaming apps on my Win7 sidebar, always ready to start one or the other up at a moment's notice. Right beside them are a volume gadget with VU meters, and a spectrum analyzer, both of which flash nicely when anything at all on my system is making noise.

(my sidebar isn't usually so ugly. I'm looking at it via remote desktop, the yellow is a side effect of that.)

See, I feel the same way about Winamp that you do about iTunes, and since Winamp has an iPod plugin I haven't used iTunes in years.

Also, can you post links to those gadgets?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also, can you post links to those gadgets?
Check this page out.

The Spectrum Analyser, Volume with VU, and Streaming gadgets all all from there. There are multiple, slightly different streaming gadgets there, I'm using the plainest one, called 'Shoutcast Radio – Sidebar Gadget.' I also use a few other gadgets from that page.

Windows 7 got rid of the sidebar that Vista had. You can still have the gadgets, but there's no optional bar for them to neatly attach to. I liked that feature. While it can be re-enabled through some overly complicated fiddling with Windows system files, there's a much easier way to get that functionality. A gadget called 7 Sidebar fakes it perfectly, and installs as easily as any other gadget.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 1, 2010

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr.Smasher posted:

I didn't know it wasn't cool to use Winamp anymore

gently caress it, it works.

Yeah. Get anything too minimalistic and it doesn't include an equalizer. I need that because internet radio and 128kbps and lower files tend to have terrible fuzzy high-frequency noise (and not enough bass).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jeez, go-go goon hivemind.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Jeez, go-go goon hivemind.

Just wait until we get Power Hours running again.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Merijn posted:

I get this quite a lot on GBS-FM.

Winamp is fine for me. Standard classic skin, everything minimized to the bars. All I need is the global hotkeys, the volume slider and the playlist telling me what's currently playing.

Here's an ascii representation of what my winamp looks like:

-=

:smug:

Foobar2000 because of it's nice simple interface...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ledge posted:

That's not really fair. ;)

Mine looks like this:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'll never understand you guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

hello guys

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ledge posted:

That's humor, right?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Robot Hobo posted:

Check this page out.

The Spectrum Analyser, Volume with VU, and Streaming gadgets all all from there. There are multiple, slightly different streaming gadgets there, I'm using the plainest one, called 'Shoutcast Radio – Sidebar Gadget.' I also use a few other gadgets from that page.

Windows 7 got rid of the sidebar that Vista had. You can still have the gadgets, but there's no optional bar for them to neatly attach to. I liked that feature. While it can be re-enabled through some overly complicated fiddling with Windows system files, there's a much easier way to get that functionality. A gadget called 7 Sidebar fakes it perfectly, and installs as easily as any other gadget.

These are marvelous. Thanks!

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Incoherence posted:

Just wait until we get Power Hours running again.
Six hour block of David Bowie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Jonnty posted:

hello guys

One of the only things I really like about Linux over Windows is Amarok.

• Locked thread