Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Clamwacker posted:

If you're going all out, then swap in disconnect hubs on the wheels (the kind where you have to get out and turn them). That will make the wheels spin freely and the front axle and driveshaft won't be doing anything.

I don't know whether the driveshaft will just slide in and work or not, though.

I did basically the same thing with my YJ, only instead of getting a solid axleshaft, I just ran a bolt through the housing where the shift fork and collar go, and threaded it in up to the point where it makes the shift fork constantly engaged. BAM - permanently connected front axle.

I thought about that, but its another couple hundred at least for the Warn kit I think. I just thought it was a logical upgrade due to the fact that the newer Cherokees went this way and had everything rotating all the time, minus the t-case driving the front axle unless in 4WD. I might just try and see, since the pick n pulls here have tons of decent condition Cherokees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I inherited a '95 XJ from my grandpa for free this summer, 115,000 miles, but both of it's owners were over the age of 65 and as far as I know it's never been offroad..

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I love this thing so much :3:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

fordham posted:

My Highlander does auto up and down for the drivers window and parents' Lexus does both directions auto on all windows.

Those switches cost more so they don't use em.

So, it's all in the switch? Could you buy more auto-down switches, and swap them out to enable it on more windows?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Doctor Zero posted:

So, it's all in the switch? Could you buy more auto-down switches, and swap them out to enable it on more windows?

I'm pretty sure there's more to it like sensors that stop the window when it encounters resistance.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Anyone have any secrets for getting a rearview mirror to stay on the windshield of a TJ? I really want to take my doors off, but state law says I have to have at least one mirror, and I don't have the budget to buy side mirror mounts that mount separately from the door.

I've tried the cheap loctite stuff, the expensive Mopar stuff, and superglue, all of them have failed to hold it on for longer than it takes me to get it adjusted to the right angle.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I've used an adhesive strip meant just for rear view mirrors and it never came off. You can also use a two-part epoxy resin, which is a bit difficult to mount until dry, but it will probably never ever come off until the end of time.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

explosivo posted:

I inherited a '95 XJ from my grandpa for free this summer, 115,000 miles, but both of it's owners were over the age of 65 and as far as I know it's never been offroad..

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I love this thing so much :3:

That thing is super clean!! Are you going to keep it stock or...

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

mod sassinator posted:

I'm pretty sure there's more to it like sensors that stop the window when it encounters resistance.

I believe this is correct. Sorry to say just "switch". The whole rig is more expensive, I don't know how many parts are involved though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bojanglesworth posted:

That thing is super clean!! Are you going to keep it stock or...

Not sure, I'd like to put a lift on it but I'm a poor college student, so it might have to wait :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

explosivo posted:

Not sure, I'd like to put a lift on it but I'm a poor college student, so it might have to wait :(

Keep it, drive it and love every second of it. Take care of it and when you have the money you should do wonderful things to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rhyno posted:

Keep it, drive it and love every second of it. Take care of it and when you have the money you should do wonderful things to it.

I just shed a tear.

Edit: Is there a good online resource to find local spots for offroading? My last car was a Chrysler Concorde :shobon:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 26, 2010

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

grnberet2b posted:

I've tried the cheap loctite stuff, the expensive Mopar stuff, and superglue, all of them have failed to hold it on for longer than it takes me to get it adjusted to the right angle.

Sticking on a mirror is a lot like paint: It's all in the prep work.

If you're just slathering on some adhesive like most of the carbuying public, yeah, it's not going to stay up. You want to be back down to bare glass (bare metal for the mirror mount) and perfectly clean and dry. And make sure you're removing the metal mirror mount from the mirror's "foot" and not just trying to adhere the whole drat thing at once.

If none of that applies to you, uh, how's the humidity where you're at?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Molten Llama posted:

If you're just slathering on some adhesive like most of the carbuying public, yeah, it's not going to stay up. You want to be back down to bare glass (bare metal for the mirror mount) and perfectly clean and dry. And make sure you're removing the metal mirror mount from the mirror's "foot" and not just trying to adhere the whole drat thing at once.

I'd make sure to give it enough time to cure before touching or moving it too. Probably at least a day, or maybe longer if it's humid. Check what the glue manufacturer recommends and follow it precisely.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

explosivo posted:

You can get about 2" of lift for super cheap. Get coil spacers for the front, and a shackle lift for the rear springs. I'm not exactly sure what the price is, but it's probably within your reach if you are able to install it yourself, which is very easy to do.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
If you shop around you can probably do a 2" budget boost for $50+ and fit 30's on there; 31's if you're lucky. The biggest cost factor is going to be the quality of the shackles. You also may or may not need longer shocks. The lift is pretty simple though; most of your time will be spent loosening and removing the bolts.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
If you know anybody with decent fab skills you can make perfectly good shackles in a matter of hours. I wouldn't try this without the aforementioned guy with decent fab skills though since it is a relatively important part of your suspension.

Also I would stick with 30's unless you want to trim some sheet metal (if you really want to wheel, then you want to trim some sheet metal). My buddy has an XJ with the same style of lift as we're talking about and he runs 30s, but it's still a drat capable little Jeep. He just happens to not care at all about the sheet metal so he bashes the rockers and fenders on a somewhat regular basis.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
My XJ has a 2" budget lift and runs 31" tires on the stock wheels without too many problems. There is some rubbing on the lower control arm if you turn the wheel to full lock, but I'm going to try some aftermarket arms that have a bend and give more clearance. You will have some difficulty fitting a 31" spare in the stock location though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well, it's still relatively clean, but I found an awesome trail directly outside of my school. Nothing too crazy, but I've already gone back 4 or 5 times over the course of a few days.

Click here for the full 800x602 image.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Looks like fun. I really had the most fun wheeling my stock Bronco IIs, it made everything a challenge and always surprised me what a stock 4x4 could do once you learn some tricks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Took my XJ camping in the Olympic National Park of Washington this weekend. There's a great campground at the top of a mountain with a fun one-lane dirt road that winds about 6000 feet to the top. The view at the top is spectacular, you can see all the way across the strait to Victoria, Canada:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Nice...is that the Ediz Hook and Port Angeles ferry out there? I need to get back out there before summer's over.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

mod sassinator posted:

Took my XJ camping in the Olympic National Park of Washington this weekend. There's a great campground at the top of a mountain with a fun one-lane dirt road that winds about 6000 feet to the top. The view at the top is spectacular, you can see all the way across the strait to Victoria, Canada:

Deer Park? Love it up there. Great place to camp for the 4th of July. Can see the fireworks in Port Angeles from the top. And yes, that's a fun road to drive.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

Deer Park? Love it up there. Great place to camp for the 4th of July. Can see the fireworks in Port Angeles from the top. And yes, that's a fun road to drive.

Yep! It's a great campsite that doesn't seem to get as much traffic as other nearby sites. The drive probably scares a lot of people off. :)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Not knowing too much about Jeeps I see a lot of different suspension pieces and have a decent grasp of what does what after being into cars for a long time, but what would be the next couple logical things to do to my suspension? Aside from 3.5" lift, and 2" shackles/spaces (so 5.5" total) and new shocks all around, the only thing that is not stock are the tires, which are 31's.

(Notes: This is not my daily driver and I don't need it to be too crazy, just capable of having fun off road while also being able to drive it to wherever it is that I am going to go off roading without it feeling unsafe or too breakable.)

I have been looking at steering stabalizers (http://tiny.cc/qqoge) a front tie bar and trac bar, although I haven't really picked specific ones yet. Any advice?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
You will certainly have to add a SYE *slip yoke eliminator* to your parts list if you are serious about the 5.5 inch lift.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

You will certainly have to add a SYE *slip yoke eliminator* to your parts list if you are serious about the 5.5 inch lift.

Ok, like I NEED to add one before I start driving around, or its something that should be on my "get this poo poo as soon as possible" list? Will a transfer case drop suffice for a bit?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You'll probably need longer brake lines too. The slip yoke eliminator is probably required, at best you'll get vibrations at speed and at worst the car is undriveable. This is a really good book to read about modifying an XJ for serious off-road driving: http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Cherokee-Builders-1984-2001-Design/dp/1932494146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283151335&sr=8-2

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Bojanglesworth posted:

Ok, like I NEED to add one before I start driving around, or its something that should be on my "get this poo poo as soon as possible" list? Will a transfer case drop suffice for a bit?

you will need one at that height before you can drive around.

^^ and brake lines, but there are some cheap alternatives for those.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

You'll probably need longer brake lines too. The slip yoke eliminator is probably required, at best you'll get vibrations at speed and at worst the car is undriveable. This is a really good book to read about modifying an XJ for serious off-road driving: http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Cherokee-Builders-1984-2001-Design/dp/1932494146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283151335&sr=8-2

Ok, that will move to the top of my list. I also see "steering stabilizer" kits (https://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=SJ-7009) and I keep forgetting to look, but do I have a stock one of those? It sounds like a good investment if it really helps as much as they say it does. Plus it is only $50.

Like I said, I am new to this whole Jeep game, so Im not even sure what it should feel like when Im driving it. Like it feels kinda wonky but everyone tells me thats just how lifted vehicles feel...

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure what you plan on doing that you don't need "too crazy" for that 5.5" will work but 3.5" won't. Especially with all the extra work you need to do for that extra 2"

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I lifted my Jeep!

The day I got it, two months ago:

Post lift:

Things I learned:

I need an adjustable track bar. The axle was so far to the driver side that I couldn't get the sway bar reattached with the Jeep jacked up. Once on the ground, the driver side tire is about an inch further outside the fender than the passenger side. I'm hoping that explains why the tires are rubbing the fenders when I turn to the right. I ordered a new track bar to remedy the situation, so hopefully I can turn full lock once I install that.

It rides much better than with the stock parts, but that could be contributed to the fact that the stuff I took off had 130k on them. It rides smoother, takes bumps on the highway much better, and overall feels much more solid. I am concerned about the distance between the tires and wheel wells though. I've been told I have to trim the fenders to stop 31's from rubbing the factory flares. I'm ok with that, though I would have liked to keep the factory flares at least until I got bigger tires down the road.

I ordered rock rails, tow hooks, the new track bar, and a shackle for the rear hitch, all of which should be here in the next two weeks. I can't wait to get everything put together and start using this thing.

Things I installed are Rough Country 3" suspension lift with full leaf packs and upgraded Nitro shocks, steering stabilizer, Cragar Soft 8 15x8 wheels, 31x10.5 BFG ATs, and a satellite radio head unit so I can have music when I'm driving on trails and camping. The nice thing is it has the factory tow package, so it has 3.73 gears according to Wikipedia.

One interesting thing I noticed when doing the lift is that this Jeep has no rear sway bar. I did some reading and found that XJs that came with the Up Country package did not come with a rear sway bar, sat 1" higher than regular Cherokees, and came with an LSD installed in the rear. Police and Fire dept. Cherokees had this package, and my Jeep is an ex-fleet vehicle, so I'm assuming I have a factory LSD which is sweet. :) Not that it is necessarily working great after 130k miles, but at least I know it's there.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Check the tag on the rear diff, It will say what the gear ratio is and if its an LSD rear.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

BoostCreep posted:

I lifted my Jeep!

The day I got it, two months ago:

Post lift:

Things I learned:

I need an adjustable track bar. The axle was so far to the driver side that I couldn't get the sway bar reattached with the Jeep jacked up. Once on the ground, the driver side tire is about an inch further outside the fender than the passenger side. I'm hoping that explains why the tires are rubbing the fenders when I turn to the right. I ordered a new track bar to remedy the situation, so hopefully I can turn full lock once I install that.

It rides much better than with the stock parts, but that could be contributed to the fact that the stuff I took off had 130k on them. It rides smoother, takes bumps on the highway much better, and overall feels much more solid. I am concerned about the distance between the tires and wheel wells though. I've been told I have to trim the fenders to stop 31's from rubbing the factory flares. I'm ok with that, though I would have liked to keep the factory flares at least until I got bigger tires down the road.

I ordered rock rails, tow hooks, the new track bar, and a shackle for the rear hitch, all of which should be here in the next two weeks. I can't wait to get everything put together and start using this thing.

Things I installed are Rough Country 3" suspension lift with full leaf packs and upgraded Nitro shocks, steering stabilizer, Cragar Soft 8 15x8 wheels, 31x10.5 BFG ATs, and a satellite radio head unit so I can have music when I'm driving on trails and camping. The nice thing is it has the factory tow package, so it has 3.73 gears according to Wikipedia.

One interesting thing I noticed when doing the lift is that this Jeep has no rear sway bar. I did some reading and found that XJs that came with the Up Country package did not come with a rear sway bar, sat 1" higher than regular Cherokees, and came with an LSD installed in the rear. Police and Fire dept. Cherokees had this package, and my Jeep is an ex-fleet vehicle, so I'm assuming I have a factory LSD which is sweet. :) Not that it is necessarily working great after 130k miles, but at least I know it's there.

It looks great! Perfect lift/tire combo.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Picked up a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited today in Denver. One owner car and he took real good care of it. Drove it 200 miles back home and loved every minute of it. Can't wait to get it dirty.

jdfording fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 1, 2010

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

I used a razor blade to get all the old gunk off, hit it with some windex, then a window cleaning wipe that came with the kit, then the agent that you put on the window, then put the glue on the metal bit, attached it to the windshield and let it sit overnight (packaging recommended 15 mins). Put the mirror on the metal piece the next morning, started adjusting it, and it just snapped clean off the windshield.

I'm in Austin, TX, so it's moderately humid, but really hot. I guess I'll have to wait until winter to get it on good.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Is that anywhere near Hurrican Ridge??

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

spiralbrain posted:

Is that anywhere near Hurrican Ridge??

Just east of it a few miles on Blue Mountain, near the Deer Park campground here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=47.95725367542542~-123.25645065275978&lvl=14&sty=r

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Veeb0rg posted:

Check the tag on the rear diff, It will say what the gear ratio is and if its an LSD rear.

Thanks for the advice. It does indeed have a limited slip diff with 3.73s. Looks like I got lucky with this Jeep. If only it wasn't a Dana 35. Fleet vehicles are weird. Factory tow package, Up Country package, D35, LSD, and ABS. Not a very common combo on XJs.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Quick question: If I wanted to put a tilt steering wheel into a '74 CJ5, first would this be possible - and second, what vehicles could I pilfer one out of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
nevermind, $150 part :(

Fatty Patty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 4, 2010