Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

JammyLammy posted:

Sorry if its already been said, but Killswitch, Pokemon Black, Fallout morsecode, minecraft dead brother and theres some other stories floating around (some type of creepy Mario 64 game) came from the paranormal board at 4chan.

Fun stories to read, but they get a tad repetitive, at least some of the lamer ones.
I found the Mario 64 one:
http://x.datchan.org/index.php?title=Super_Mario_64
It's not particularly good though. Starts off strong, kinda peters out into some sort of "Ooh the game is haunted! Here's a picture... OF YOU!" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Another big Jetset Radio Future myth was the "secret character" on the pinball machine. There was a pinball machine tucked away in one corner of your hangout, and the backboard had little images of every playable character in the game, like a fighting game player select screen. The center of the images, though, was a black silhouette with a question mark. Thinking back on it now, it was probably meant to represent the "random" option on a character select table. Back then though, people were obsessed with finding this mysterious extra character.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Jetsetlemming posted:

It's not particularly good though. Starts off strong, kinda peters out into some sort of "Ooh the game is haunted! Here's a picture... OF YOU!" thing.

Yeah, it really drops off when the whole "picture of my family" thing comes into the story. Still, I have a soft spot for haunted video game stories and this at least started off well.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Another one that isn't strictly a hoax or urban legend is one from Thief where in the level involving a bank vault one of the devs swore blind that there was an easter egg that nobody had discovered yet. This was in the fairly rabid Thief community that had broken that game over its knee finding glitches and secrets. Something like a hundred pages later, someone eventually found it. The level involves getting into a bank vault which is automatically sealed shut at night, which is when you're breaking in. If you waited something like eight hours in game then the vault would open automatically since technically it would be opening time.

One that is quite similar to the Bigfoot hoax in San Andreas which turned out to be true was the bear in Project Reality. Basically way out in the desert there was a tiny chance that a bear would spawn and just walk around. People went nuts trying to find it since the three or four people who had actually seen it swore blind that it existed and there were one or two (genuine) screenshots that looked kinda lovely and people were insisting were photoshops. Eventually, one of the devs came clean and showed that not only does the bear exist, but that there are similar easter eggs in every map.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, it really drops off when the whole "picture of my family" thing comes into the story. Still, I have a soft spot for haunted video game stories and this at least started off well.

I agree. Even if they are fake, and some of them are kinda bad, these haunted video game stories have been really good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has anyone heard of Video Game: The Movie: The Game? Its not quite a hoax or rumor, but just bizarre.
http://www.xocmusic.com/vgtmtg/ Its too long to quote, but the gist of it is that in 1982, a movie set in 1962 about a boy competing in a soapbox derby was made. It was slated to be a disaster, so they edited in some footage about him winning a video game console (a gold painted Atari 2600) and set it in the modern day. It was the first movie about video games, coming out before Tron, but it was quickly forgotten because of the other films that came out the same month. The director fell asleep in his hot tub and drowned, while three other cast members committed suicide.

Eventually a bootleg game was created out of the movie in the form of an NES game. It was a bizarre hodgepodge created from bits and pieces of other games.

quote:

VIDEOGAME: THE MOVIE: THE GAME borrows the mechanics and engines from more than a dozen of the most popular NES games ever made, including Mega Man, Gradius, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Adventure Island, Super Mario Bros., and Zelda II. In some levels, the graphics have been completely replaced with new sprites and backgrounds, and in others only the color palettes and level design have been remodeled (and sometimes in ways that appear completely arbitrary). Each level contains two stages, with a boss at the conclusion of the second. The admittedly difficult translations of non-linear games are pathetically short (the diving suit portion of Goonies II is used to create a very simple underwater maze, while the Metroid level consists of leisurely climbing up a tall vertical corridor and riding an elevator up and out of the screen). The Zelda II level is definitely the worst of the bunch, since Link must make it across the forest without entering the side-scrolling battle mode, which causes the game to crash.

Bootlegged NES games were certainly not uncommon, and neither were “multis” that featured sometimes more than a hundred pirated games on a single cartridge. The bulk of these illegal offerings came from Taiwan and China, with cheaply produced collage artwork and descriptions written in vernacular Chinese, oftentimes with slapdash English translations added (“Morio & Sonik 2”, “Draggon Ballz 2”, etc.). SuperVision, the best-known pirating company in Taiwan, would be an obvious suspect in the production of VG:TM:TG, if not for the absence of the SuperVision logo molded into the plastic of the cartridge itself. And unlike SuperVision and other Asian “X in 1” multi-carts, VG:TM:TG was an attempt to combine disparate segments into a new game.

Now, it seems like it was just another Chinese knock off game, but there are some weird quirks that suggest that might not be the case.

quote:

Furthermore, the text in VG:TM:TG is entirely accurate English. A level based on Gradius is titled “Clichédius vs. Cincinnadius” (a reference to disputed pronunciations of the original game title), puns that are unlikely to come from a non-English speaking country. The tone of the humor is dark, and sometimes offensive, as well. Super Mario Bros. is reworked into a skewed depiction of one of the worst fire disasters in U.S. history, at a circus in Hartford, Connecticut in 1944; and the likeness of Hiroo Onoda appears as a grenade-throwing boss in the Adventure Island segment, here called “Lubang Island”.
The Hartford fire is just a really dark subject for a bootleg NES game.

quote:

Compared to other unlicensed creations of the time period, it is an impressive and ambitious achievement despite its flaws. Some of the titles cloned in VG:TM:TG were first officially released that same year, so an inside job still seems likely. Perhaps it was simply the work of a hobbyist, albeit one of an "insider" capacity. We may never know.

And finally, to those looking through the end credits for clues: since the game is highly unstable when played on an actual Nintendo console, it wasn't until a proper ROM dump was made that the game could be completed on an emulator. After the final boss is beaten, a single credit rolls up against a background of a star-lit sky: "THE END"

Has anyone played this strange game?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Another Hoax.

There is neither a movie nor a game based around that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not an urban legend, exactly, but a lot of early nintendo games just contain a famicom cart with an adapter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lockback posted:

Another Hoax.

There is neither a movie nor a game based around that.
Really? Consider me fooled.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Jetsetlemming posted:

Yeah, that tends to be the problem with them, well any of their "creepypasta" (ugh, I HATE that word). There was one with Sonic that follows a somewhat similar format =/

The generic ones have the same format. <Establish character as an "old school gamer"> - < Nostalgia for well known game> - <Off-beat vendor and bad cartridge condition> - < REALISTIC CREEPY GRAPHICS! (must be made with blast processing)> - < Something creepy> - <Never heard from it again>

Occasionally you get some good ones, like Killswitch.

edit: I'm surprised there isn't a Yume Nikki thread. I'd make one but I never played alot of it and wouldn't be able to do a proper OP for it.

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 1, 2010

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Conskill posted:

The Thargoid quest ship is real, and you can read up on the quest chain (complete with tremendous dick move) here.

I totally believed the rumor that there was another ship floating around to be found. Frontier was the sort of game where that was a very easy to imagine hoax.

Yeah, there was an alien ship you could get via a quest, but the one the developers said you could get by going to the edge of the galaxy? Just a ploy to get you to waste hours of your life mindlessly jumping around.

There are also a couple of alien ships on the ground when you do the photograph/bombing missions, but they can't be flown or anything, it's just a model.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

Yeah, that tends to be the problem with them, well any of their "creepypasta" (ugh, I HATE that word). There was one with Sonic that follows a somewhat similar format =/

The generic ones have the same format. <Establish character as an "old school gamer"> - < Nostalgia for well known game> - <Off-beat vendor and bad cartridge condition> - < REALISTIC CREEPY GRAPHICS! (must be made with blast processing)> - < Something creepy> - <Never heard from it again>

Occasionally you get some good ones, like Killswitch.
At least the Pokemon Black one is good, and not coincidentally has no supernatural elements. It's just a story about a creepy bootleg Pokeman game.

"Realistic graphics" seems to be a common running theme about scary stories about media. The "dead bart" story on that site has the Simpsons suddenly turn photorealistic when Bart gets sucked out an airplane window. That same story then goes on to go "oooh, they predicted celebrity deaths from after the episode was made!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just remembered a good one on the PC: The Ferrari on the Ultima title screen. Apparently if you just let the title animation loop for a really long time the guy on the horse would occasionally be replaced with a red ferrari. Then of course no one would ever believe you because they're not going to sit and watch a looping animation over and over.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

It looks like an elaborate set-up story for the chip tunes concept album the guy made.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One from the Arcade (Street Fighter 2): There was a rumor that Guile had a move where he whipped out handcuffs and shot the other player. The handcuffs part was partially true, there was a glitch involving Guile that made it so the other player couldn't do anything other than jump around.

I remember Ed Boon saying there was still stuff in MK2 that nobody found, but after thinking about it years later I realized he was probably just trying to get people to keep playing in hopes of finding something new.

The unlocking gimmick in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was pretty original as far as arcade gimmicks go. Once all the parts to the code had been released in various media outlets it unlocked a new playable character on the arcade machine. I'm sure there were all kinds of rumors about what would happen when the code was input.

Edit: Actually it was 3 new playable characters, and there was a character used in the intro, Rain, that was a complete red herring and wasn't even in the arcade version.

Edit: And another one, the actress that played Sonya in MK3 actually did appear nude in a magazine.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 2, 2010

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

edit: I'm surprised there isn't a Yume Nikki thread. I'd make one but I never played alot of it and wouldn't be able to do a proper OP for it.

I dunno how much interest there'd be in a YN thread, all things considered, but if people want one, i COULD throw an OP together and make one... :shobon:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Speaking of different versions of the Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet... I absolutely sure I saw Kitana make a fatality move in which she stuck her fans into the the neck of the opponent, vaulted over and then took his head off. This move was not in the SNES version but so I thought I was mistaken.. maybe I remembered correctly after all.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Technique posted:

I dunno how much interest there'd be in a YN thread, all things considered, but if people want one, i COULD throw an OP together and make one... :shobon:

Think of it this way, goons will never shut up about slenderman and that was just used for a couple of pictures. YN should surely pull in enough interest.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
As far as hoaxes go, the ones that have some sort of "haunted" element are pretty dumb in my opinion. Especially the ones that have pictures of people's family. Games, and especially Nintendo games, have been completely taken apart code wise. If there was anything strange there, people would have found it.

I really love the Killswitch story because it could actually happen. It seems pretty realistic, and although some may dispute a game being able to delete itself, it does seem believable.

I remember my friend telling me there were sports cars that shot bullets in Age of Empires 2. I thought he was full of poo poo. Then I found out how to spawn them and hilarity ensued.

A lot of these hoaxes seem to have a story that a developer committed suicide during the development of the game, but inserted some secret code into the games before he actually went through with it.

There is something like that, but its much less morbid, and actually real. During the development of one of the Ratchet and Clank games (can't remember which one) one of the team members passed away. The developers actually included a whole secret room in the game as a memory for him. Its not morbid at all, and actually really cool. :)

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2010

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I dunno about a game that erases itself, but William Gibson wrote an autobiographical poem in 92, contained on a floppy. It was designed to erase itself after being read. It came embedded in an artist book that also faded away after first exposure to light.

Dunno how the floppy worked, but if William Gibson can make a poem that erases itself, i don't see why Hideo Kojima can't make a game that erases itself.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

On a side note, how are codes found, anyway? The codes for some games are just too long to have been discovered by chance.

I assume at one point they were sold to authors of hint books, but what about now?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

TOOT BOOT posted:

On a side note, how are codes found, anyway? The codes for some games are just too long to have been discovered by chance.

I assume at one point they were sold to authors of hint books, but what about now?

The only cheat codes I can think of that are just way too long to have been discovered by chance were those Goldeney 007 codes that were given out to Nintendo Power by Rareware, like, 5 years after Goldeneye came out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SpaceBees posted:

There is something like that, but its much less morbid, and actually real. During the development of one of the Ratchet and Clank games (can't remember which one) one of the team members passed away. The developers actually included a whole secret room in the game as a memory for him. Its not morbid at all, and actually really cool. :)

Max Payne also had a memorial to a late developer.

I remember playing through it and noticing that the way a certain bunch of ledges were positioned with each other made it so that, albeit off the obvious path and with some difficulty, you could get over to another building with an open window, and immediately thought I was about to find a cool little easter egg.

I was kind of bummed out when it was just a completely unfurnished apartment with a tombstone in it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

21stCentury posted:

I dunno about a game that erases itself, but William Gibson wrote an autobiographical poem in 92, contained on a floppy. It was designed to erase itself after being read. It came embedded in an artist book that also faded away after first exposure to light.

Dunno how the floppy worked, but if William Gibson can make a poem that erases itself, i don't see why Hideo Kojima can't make a game that erases itself.

Making a program that deletes itself isn't hard. Making one that can never be copied is harder.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

SpaceBees posted:

I really love the Killswitch story because it could actually happen. It seems pretty realistic, and although some may dispute a game being able to delete itself, it does seem believable.

Yeah, I like the Killswitch one because it's really just about weird games (which we all know are possible) combined with human weakness. I mean the guy at the end isn't crying because the game has possessed his mind or something, he's crying because he doesn't have the strength to play the last copy the way he's supposed to and the way that everyone is expecting him to. I think that's why I liked the Pokemon: Black game also. It's just vaguely kind of creepy, it doesn't expect you to believe in dead spirits or children being driven insane or anything.

Then again the Killswitch one is ruined because even if a game could somehow delete itself you know the userbase today would have isos up on rapidshare the day it came out.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone remember street fighter 2: rainbow?

It was a hacked arcade game that had all sorts of crazy crap that made it sound like you were making stuff up if you ever talked about it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

21stCentury posted:

The only cheat codes I can think of that are just way too long to have been discovered by chance were those Goldeney 007 codes that were given out to Nintendo Power by Rareware, like, 5 years after Goldeneye came out.

If you figure 10 possible inputs (or more) on a modern controller, and a code that has 6 or 7 elements, and furthermore, the need to document what you've done so you can do it again, it just seems implausible.

Same thing with certain fighting game moves. Who put enough quarters into MK2 to figure out that one character had a fatality that involved holding down low-punch the entire round, especially considering doing that would make you lose half the time?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That Rough Beast posted:

I mean the guy at the end isn't crying because the game has possessed his mind or something, he's crying because he doesn't have the strength to play the last copy the way he's supposed to and the way that everyone is expecting him to.

My interpretation was that that he realized he paid $800,000 for a hoax.

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica

SpaceBees posted:

In that online dungeons and dragons game, there's a whole quest area that is narrated by the late Gary Gygax, and the hub has a memorial to him, I thought it was really neat.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

TOOT BOOT posted:

My interpretation was that that he realized he paid $800,000 for a hoax.

Nothing about it suggested "hoax" to me (well, other than the whole story). See, he's gotta play as Ghast, because no one ever has, and everyone is watching. But he can't do it. It's too hard. No one can do it. But he spent $800,000. But it's too hard. But everyone is watching. But it's too hard. But this is the last copy. But it's too hard...

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Making a program that deletes itself isn't hard. Making one that can never be copied is harder.
Yeah. It's entirely possible for a game on floppy to run a separate format process on completion- it's entirely unbelievable for that same game to somehow prevent itself from being backed up or copied or otherwise duplicated.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

That Rough Beast posted:

I mean the guy at the end isn't crying because the game has possessed his mind or something, he's crying because he doesn't have the strength to play the last copy the way he's supposed to and the way that everyone is expecting him to.

I interpreted it as him uncovering the last bit of the story, which upset him somehow. The game sounded like it had some very depressing themes to it.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Reverse engineering is another option. Dump the ROM and use a disassembler to figure out what is going on in the code. It would still be a very slow and tedious process.

v--- Reseeding the random number generator kind of defeats the purpose of it.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 2, 2010

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if that piece of text was the inspiration for this game though. I actually thought it was promo material for it with the borrowed game themes and especially the title screen.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I have an interesting unhoax story - there were for a while increasingly strong rumors about a web-game that if you timed your attacks such that, after a hit, you wait exactly six seconds before attacking again, you're more likely to hit than the random chance it's supposed to be.

The developer of that game was laughing at the crazy rumors people come up with when confronted with random patterns, but it later turned out that the people spotting that pattern were actually right, because the developer had seeded the random number generator based on the system clock, each time an attack was made. It turns out that when you're doing that, at least for times around the time of this event, a wait of six seconds really did result in a more similar number for the first random number from the next seed.

It sounds like a nonsense rumor and even the sole programmer thought it was a nonsense rumor. That's pretty cool.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

mew force shoelace posted:

It was a hacked arcade game that had all sorts of crazy crap that made it sound like you were making stuff up if you ever talked about it.

You mean this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dhBdm9I5SQ

My friends told me about it and I was just like "You are full of poo poo."

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Could Guile float in mid air indefinitely and completely cover the screen with sonic booms? Because I swear to god I saw this once.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Coagulated posted:

absurd.org (which doesn't seem to be up anymore, but it was a genuinely wonderful website, did anyone here know about it?).

I loved that site. Years ago, when it was totally functioning, I would send unwitting victims there, and they were convinced their souls were being stolen through the internet. There were many thing about that website that seemed brilliant. The home page was a timer counting down to the "core meltdown" and when it reached 00:00, you screen was flooded with popups that disappeared as quickly as they appeared. When it was done spamming you with vanishing blue ovals, you could access the actual site. There was a "play", where the actors would come on stage, identify themselves, and say "Web is dead!". There was a page called "The Ergonomicon" which read like a Bible passage. There was a story about a guy in a wheelchair at a mall, eating a cheeseburger, staring at a picture of the Spice Girls, (or in the story, the Spxce girls) and as you read it, certain words were links you could click on, and when you did a strange animated face would appear, and you could mouse over it, and an even stranger face would appear. The entire site was littered with hidden links to various parts of the site. It was alive for so long, at least a decade, that I was shocked when it went away.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

cat with hands posted:

Speaking of different versions of the Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet... I absolutely sure I saw Kitana make a fatality move in which she stuck her fans into the the neck of the opponent, vaulted over and then took his head off. This move was not in the SNES version but so I thought I was mistaken.. maybe I remembered correctly after all.

It's possible, they did take out Baraka's spin move after the first version of MK2 (he got it back in Ultimate MK3 I believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I remember some kid on the bus in 7th grade talking about a "Modified Champion Edition" he saw some time after SF2CE came out, and how you could do fireballs in the air, and Chun Li had a fireball, and all kinds of unbelievable crap. I never heard of it again until I found the Rainbow hack rom on MAME years later, but I did think it was kind of weird that a lot of the stuff that guy mentioned showed up in later incarnations of SF2.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Same thing with certain fighting game moves. Who put enough quarters into MK2 to figure out that one character had a fatality that involved holding down low-punch the entire round, especially considering doing that would make you lose half the time?

You didn't spend much time in arcades in the 90s, did you?