Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

J Miracle posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the professor still solicits public-policy debate or the fact that there are still 3Ls with a gunner mentality that actually engage in it.

Public policy debates were the only thing that made classes bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah what classes are you taking where the public policy debate is not more interesting than the subject material being discussed?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah what classes are you taking where the public policy debate is not more interesting than the subject material being discussed?

Tax

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
public policy debates are still part of lecture though, automatically making them less interesting than gchat/espn/fantasy football

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

J Miracle posted:

Jesus I wish they had separate classes for 3Ls that cut the bullshit...my professors in both Evidence and Decedents & Estates persist with this "let's take a slow pass through the ENTIRE case" poo poo and its just painful.

Now imagine going to law school for 4 years. Welcome to hell.

My level of "giving a poo poo" is negative. (if your wondering if once you go negative you start caring more for some reason, you don't)

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

sigmachiev posted:

FINALLY got a callback, V20 firm. Lets keep this ball rolling, we were doing relly good in this thread with jobs a few weeks ago.

Grats! Ours has been a mixed bag; I know people with between 0 and 9 more or less inclusive, but a TON of 0s and 1s.

I managed to swing 2 of my top 3 choices, but only have 4 total so I'm a little worried. Our last interviews were Friday, do more come out after this?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Napoleon I posted:

Grats! Ours has been a mixed bag; I know people with between 0 and 9 more or less inclusive, but a TON of 0s and 1s.

I managed to swing 2 of my top 3 choices, but only have 4 total so I'm a little worried. Our last interviews were Friday, do more come out after this?
We had ours last Thursday, and I just called the people we're inviting back today, so maybe.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

terrorist ambulance posted:

I guess I should clarify that it's not in any way a reasoned or well-informed debate, its more like "well in this case the decedents mother got nothing and the wife's father got everything, is that FAIR?"

"uhhh...I think it's not fair because like the husband probably wanted his mom to get stuff"

This could be because I go to a TTT attached to a Big 10 party school. Sure it's great getting drunk before 7 am on Saturday, but there are a lot of dim bulbs.

Plus, I don't know man I mean nobody's bullshit opinion is going to be on the exam.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Napoleon I posted:

We're not even done till next Wednesday but I'm out here down Californee way. There still is no word one way or another for anyone for about half the places I've viewed with so far.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Looks like you guys cleaned amazon out of "Some hints on the trial of a lawsuit"
by Rolla R. Longenecker.

If anyone is still interested, it looks like there are copies on other sites such as alibris for :10bux:.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

this is pretty much my oci experience so far

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Red Bean Juice posted:

this is pretty much my oci experience so far

please make a post with all of these, I still smile when I think of the sad legislative history valentine in the trash can :)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Click here for the full 600x881 image.

Click here for the full 700x998 image.

Click here for the full 500x743 image.

Click here for the full 688x537 image.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
We need more books like that. Anyone have more recommendations for my bookshelf?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Red Bean Juice posted:

love it; do they have one where legislative intent commits suicide? I had to deal with a statute recently where the pollies wanted defendants to incur a longer sentence for using a handgun as opposed to other weapons, but made the addition a new sub-section and ruined the entire thing. Not only did they make the offense more complicated to charge and gain a conviction, but the additional penalty was deemed unconstitutional. This isn't for an obscure crime, either.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

The only thing worse than the "thinking like a lawyer" meme is the idea that it will just "click" sometime during your first year.
So I can't just sit back and hope that I just "get it" by osmosis? Drats.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Where are you going again?
W&M.

This one is the best one. Sad Face Lawyer is what makes it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You'll flip to the Posner one once you start thinking like a lawyer.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

Bahahahaha I've never seen that Posner one before.

I love the pose he has in the last panel, when tossing money at his kid.

Hahahahaha.

Edit: Where are those from, those are great!

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

i drew them :ssh:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Red Bean Juice posted:

i drew them :ssh:

Do this instead of lawschool

Submit them to the ABA journal and see if they get run

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Incredulous Red posted:

Do this instead of lawschool

Submit them to the ABA journal and see if they get run

I agree with both of these.

Incredulous Red, if you put together enough of these to publish a comic book on cafepress or something, I'd buy a copy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diospadre posted:

Seriously. I lost it when I saw that one and then felt guilty for laughing at lawyer humor.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Seriously. I lost it when I saw that one and then felt guilty for laughing at lawyer humor.

Basically this is the litmus test to see if you've lost your soul yet

:thinkinglikealawyer:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incredulous Red posted:

Basically this is the litmus test to see if you've lost your soul yet

:thinkinglikealawyer:

To be fair, I never had a soul, I'm Jewish.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
So I thought I was starting at my firm after Labor Day and got a very nice call from the office manager explaining that it was actually the first of the month. How to avoid an awkward first day at work: don't show up!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elotana posted:

So I thought I was starting at my firm after Labor Day and got a very nice call from the office manager explaining that it was actually the first of the month. How to avoid an awkward first day at work: don't show up!

Oh wow.

I knew a guy in law school who lost his summer associate position because of exactly that sort of thing - he thought he started on May X but it was really May Y, which was only like a few days later or something.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

entris posted:

Oh wow.

I knew a guy in law school who lost his summer associate position because of exactly that sort of thing - he thought he started on May X but it was really May Y, which was only like a few days later or something.

Haha, I know what you meant, but it would be the cruelest of employers who would actually fire someone for showing up to start a few days early.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Haha, I know what you meant, but it would be the cruelest of employers who would actually fire someone for showing up to start a few days early.

Hahaha oh god.

Wow.

If what I literally said were true, I would have quit law school immediately.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Loved this:

http://baselinescenario.com/2010/09/02/the-problem-with-footnotes/

quote:

I’m reading a law review article: Scott L. Cummings, “Community Economic Development as Progressive Politics: Toward a Grassroots Movement for Economic Justice,” 54 Stan. L. Rev. 399. It’s a perfectly fine article; I have no complaint with the substance.

As some people know, law reviews are fanatical about footnotes. First of all, the typical article has more text in the footnotes than in the body. Second, there is a rigid, detailed system for citation format that is controlled by a few of the top law reviews and published in the Bluebook.

On page 424, there is this sentence: “As a result, the 1980s witnessed a significant decrease in the real wages of the poor [121], rising unemployment [122], and increased poverty and inequality [123].” The numbers in brackets are the footnotes.

Now, in most academic disciplines, if unemployment actually was rising in the 1980s, you don’t need a citation. That is, if it’s a well-known, easily verifiable fact, you don’t need to cite it, just like you don’t need to cite the fact that the population of the United States is bigger than it was two hundred years ago. But this is a law review article, so here’s the citation:

See Robert Pollin & Stephanie Luce, The Living Wage: Building a Fair Economy 33-35 (1998); Robert Pollin, Anatomy of Clintonomics, 3 New Left Rev. (n.s.) 17, 29 (2000) (showing an unemployment rate of 7.1% under the Reagan and Bush Administrations).”

What’s wrong with this? Robert Pollin is a leading scholar on issues of labor economics and inequality, after all.

Well, if I were making a statement about changes in unemployment and I felt the need for a citation, I would cite one source, not two, and that one source would be the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which produces the official unemployment figures. It seems strange that you would cite three passages in two pieces of academic research for a number that came from the U.S. government. That’s like citing two different published physics papers for Planck’s constant.

And if you actually go and look at the BLS statistics, you see that unemployment was not obviously increasing in the 1980s. Here is unemployment in the 1980s:

Pollin was right; unemployment did average 7.1 percent over the Reagan and Bush administrations. But Cummings was wrong; unemployment was not rising in the 1980s (except in the sophistic sense that unemployment went up during the 1981-82 recession, and hence the 1980s “witnessed . . . rising unemployment”). You can say a lot about unemployment in the 1980s. It was worse to be unemployed; not even the Reaganites would debate that, as that was the whole point. It was higher on average in the 1980s than in the 1970s (7.3% vs. 6.2%), but that’s because the economy shifted to a higher unemployment level in the second half of the 1970s, and stayed there until the late 1980s.

But at many law reviews, they only check the format of the citations, not the content. At the top law reviews, like Stanford, I believe they check the original sources to make sure the sources say what the author says that they say. But no one checks that what the author is saying is actually true. And that’s what matters.

Actually, this problem is endemic to the entire legal profession, including thousands of federal court opinions, where cases are routinely cited to support propositions that they don’t support. When you read a case and try to follow the citations, you get the feeling that it’s turtles all the way down . . . until you realize that some of the turtles aren’t even there, and the case is resting on nothing at all. But that will have to wait for another blog post, because I have to finish my reading.

Thought anyone involved in law review would love this. Reminds me of someone - I think it was Johnson or Krugman - commenting on a law and economics judge (want to say Easterbrook) who had this whole rational actor edifice cited to something that cited to something that cited to something that asserted it without offering evidence.

Citations are like the most wonderful shell game in the entire world if you are a duplicitous and/or lazy legal academic.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I didn't realize anyone actually read law review articles, let alone the citations contained within them.

My eyes start to bleed if I so much as glance at my academic writing samples as I stuff them in an envelope.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Petey posted:

Loved this:

http://baselinescenario.com/2010/09/02/the-problem-with-footnotes/

Thought anyone involved in law review would love this. Reminds me of someone - I think it was Johnson or Krugman - commenting on a law and economics judge (want to say Easterbrook) who had this whole rational actor edifice cited to something that cited to something that cited to something that asserted it without offering evidence.

Citations are like the most wonderful shell game in the entire world if you are a duplicitous and/or lazy legal academic.

Massive use of citations is also a popular camoflague technique when making losing arguments. There are few things worse than working your way through 10+ citations that supposedly support a jurisdictional argument, but ultimately just reiterate something straight from the beginning of a civil procedure textbook.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

It's deliciously ironic that your citation points to a blog post that's no longer there (so thanks for quoting it.)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's deliciously ironic that your citation points to a blog post that's no longer there (so thanks for quoting it.)

Haha, what the hell? Did Kwak just unpublish that?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Petey posted:

Thought anyone involved in law review would love this.
Yeah when I was on law review I quickly grew disillusioned when I realized that the citechecking bitch work entirely consisted of "is this in the proper Bluebook format / does the cited article say what the citation says it says?" and nothing about "is the cited article actually correct or verifiable?" A law review article could have nothing but citations to timecube.com and as long as it followed BB 11.1(f)(ii) or whatever it would be completely above board as far as any law review is concerned.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
what is all this nerd poo poo

(my LR only checks citation format and maybe a QUICK glance at the source to see that it actually says what the author says it says, my LR is also full of douchebag phony faggots)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Linguica posted:

A law review article could have nothing but citations to timecube.com

Want to read that law review article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2UCqL5qyo

Petey fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 2, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Linguica posted:

Yeah when I was on law review I quickly grew disillusioned when I realized that the citechecking bitch work entirely consisted of "is this in the proper Bluebook format / does the cited article say what the citation says it says?" and nothing about "is the cited article actually correct or verifiable?" A law review article could have nothing but citations to timecube.com and as long as it followed BB 11.1(f)(ii) or whatever it would be completely above board as far as any law review is concerned.

I was on ACLR at Georgetown, working on an article about immigrant cultural mores as a mitigating defense using the example of some custom among the southeast-Asian Hmong and using a particular criminal trial in America, except the author never cited anything saying that the defendant in that trial was himself Hmong only that he was Laotian, and I, of course, raised this as a concern to the editorial board and they fixed it so deal with it you baby.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I was on ACLR at Georgetown, working on an article about immigrant cultural mores as a mitigating defense using the example of some custom among the southeast-Asian Hmong and using a particular criminal trial in America, except the author never cited anything saying that the defendant in that trial was himself Hmong only that he was Laotian, and I, of course, raised this as a concern to the editorial board and they fixed it so deal with it you baby.
So the author didn't cite sources for his assertions, whoopty doo. My point being that he could have cited an account of the trial on some podunk blog that said the guy was Hmong, and 99% of law reviews would leave it at that, regardless of whether or not the blog was correct or had any basis for thinking the guy was Hmong or not.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 2, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You guys might like this, part of a pro se filing from a looney fringe type. I have the rest but it's just a bunch of poo poo about how JOHN PETERS is not the true person, while John Peters is the real party in interest, and the corporate entity known as "the United States of America" has no personal subject matter jurisdiction over the real party in interest since he is a sovereign "American Citizen" as opposed to a "U.S. Citizen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you're the judge, what do you even do with that