Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I have a question about an odd iTunes occurrence. I purchased the CD for Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare and made mp3s using EAC and LAME as I have done with many other albums.

iTunes cannot find the artwork for the album. I've made sure the info matches with what the version in the ITMS. I've even changed the album title to "Nightmare (Deluxe Version)" since ITMS has 3 different versions of the album. Still, iTunes doesn't find the artwork.

The odd thing is when I click the arrow by the album name in my iTunes library, ITMS pulls up the correct album.

What's going on? Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather not copy / paste the artwork since it uses up more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is there any way to auto-minimize to the mini-player? It's sort of a pain to hit the keyboard shortcut or actually select it from the menu. I'd like the regular minimize button to switch to the mini-player instead of minimizing to the taskbar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dantheman650 posted:

Is there any way to auto-minimize to the mini-player? It's sort of a pain to hit the keyboard shortcut or actually select it from the menu. I'd like the regular minimize button to switch to the mini-player instead of minimizing to the taskbar.

The green button isn't good enough?

In other news, can I get the old Party Shuffle behavior back and drag songs around in there? It's annoying as hell that I have to rightclick -> like/next a song now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I don't really want to start a new one for a quick question like this. Is there any way to download from the itunes store without installing itunes? My sister in law needs a piece of software that's only available through it for her nursing class, but I refuse to put it on my computer.

Edit: I'm on Windows, if that matters.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

KillHour posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I don't really want to start a new one for a quick question like this. Is there any way to download from the itunes store without installing itunes? My sister in law needs a piece of software that's only available through it for her nursing class, but I refuse to put it on my computer.

Edit: I'm on Windows, if that matters.

Any device that runs iOS and a current version of iOS should have the iTunes App Store application on it, allowing the download of most applications in the iTunes store over wifi.

However, if her device is old enough, and hasn't had the OS upgraded, the App Store app might not be on it, and I may be mistaken on this, but I think you do need to be using a comuter with iTunes installed to set up or manage an iTunes Store Account, even if you jump through the hoop required to set up one without providing a credit card.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Carthag posted:

The green button isn't good enough?

I should have mentioned I'm running Windows, so no green button here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

maltesh posted:

Any device that runs iOS and a current version of iOS should have the iTunes App Store application on it, allowing the download of most applications in the iTunes store over wifi.

However, if her device is old enough, and hasn't had the OS upgraded, the App Store app might not be on it, and I may be mistaken on this, but I think you do need to be using a comuter with iTunes installed to set up or manage an iTunes Store Account, even if you jump through the hoop required to set up one without providing a credit card.

The ipod seems to require it be registered with itunes before I can even use it. Is there a way around this?

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Yesterday I upgrade the software on my iTouch to 4.0.2, when it was done, an error came up and it deleted every App and Podcast that I had. If I go the menu and select, 'Check for Available Downloads' it says all purchases have been downloaded. And it looks like all the songs I've purchased are there.

But, if I select 'Store - View My Account - Purchase History' I can clearly see all the Apps I've purchased, but I can't get them to transfer to my iTouch.

Podcasts I can fix relatively easily, though it's a pain in the rear end. Any ideas on how to get the Apps back?

I tried "Restore" already, with no effect. Purchased songs were there, but no Apps/Podcasts.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
This is a new one on me-- Half a dozen songs (thus far) in my recently added playlist on my iPod Classic have portions (10-45 seconds?) of other songs randomly inserted into them. So, if I'm listening to a random song on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, about 30 seconds around 2:40 in will be some other song entirely unrelated to the original song or the soundtrack. It's across several albums so far, and I can't figure this poo poo out.

It's not happening in iTunes. All of the songs are fine there. Only the iPod is going loopy. I'm going to wipe and resync when I get home, but anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this? It's half got me thinking about switching to an alternative music syncing program, but I don't want to shift my whole library over to a new program just yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hermanos posted:

I'm going to wipe and resync when I get home, but anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this?

This sounds like you solved your own question.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I give up with keeping my music on a separate drive than iTunes. Whats the easiest/east painful way to movie like 10 gigs of music and a few MP4 movies from a couple different hard drives to 1 drive where the iTunes library resides. Is it really just easier to delete the library entries then copy stuff over manually? I'd rather not since I'm lazy and there's already some music on the drive where iTunes is. I have visions of having to hunt and peck for stuff if there isn't an easy way. Thanks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^ look into the consolidate library menu option under file ^^

hermanos posted:

This is a new one on me-- Half a dozen songs (thus far) in my recently added playlist on my iPod Classic have portions (10-45 seconds?) of other songs randomly inserted into them. So, if I'm listening to a random song on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, about 30 seconds around 2:40 in will be some other song entirely unrelated to the original song or the soundtrack. It's across several albums so far, and I can't figure this poo poo out.

It's not happening in iTunes. All of the songs are fine there. Only the iPod is going loopy. I'm going to wipe and resync when I get home, but anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this? It's half got me thinking about switching to an alternative music syncing program, but I don't want to shift my whole library over to a new program just yet.

Way back in the day I had some songs on a HD do it. The files were broken and I had to re-rip. I'm guessing it was due to the HD file index getting fubared and having the various file fragments messed up so file A included fragments of file B...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

I give up with keeping my music on a separate drive than iTunes. Whats the easiest/east painful way to movie like 10 gigs of music and a few MP4 movies from a couple different hard drives to 1 drive where the iTunes library resides. Is it really just easier to delete the library entries then copy stuff over manually? I'd rather not since I'm lazy and there's already some music on the drive where iTunes is. I have visions of having to hunt and peck for stuff if there isn't an easy way. Thanks

Pick where you want the iTunes library to go, and then pick the Consolidate Library command. It's under the File, Library menu.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thank you to both of you. Never new that function existed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
gently caress. I was clearing up some old podcasts, and somehow selected all of them and deleted them. poo poo poo poo poo poo. The files are still in the recycle bin, but is there a way to auto-add them, along with the subscriptions, back to iTunes? I don't want to find and subscribe to the 50 or so feeds I was subscribed to before.

Hell, I probably don't even remember what they are unless they're on my phone.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
iTunes 10 is available for download

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/061-8247.20100901.Ktjyt/iTunes10.dmg

Direct link from Apple's site, not sure how well it'll work for everyone else. I had some problems making the download link work for me on their site, until I clicked their iTunes link, and clicked download again.

I was wondering, should we use this thread to pass around Ping names? Or should we make another thread about it in PYF?

EDIT: Okay, Ping doesn't seem to do a whole lot right now... I expected it to at least show what song you were currently listening to.

IUG fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 2, 2010

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I hate that there's no way to make the album art in Grid view on an artist page bigger than either: loving tiny, really small, or pretty small.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

yet another iTunes release and my AirTunes to Airport Express connection is still terrible and occasionally skips.

Sigh

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Gunder posted:

I hate that there's no way to make the album art in Grid view on an artist page bigger than either: loving tiny, really small, or pretty small.

How are you changing the size of the album art?

I can't seem to find a way to turn on album art in the old grid view which is really annoying because the new grid is a lot worse and it keeps reverting to old view if you select an artist or album

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Gunder posted:

Are you sure you mean grid view? Is this not big enough for you?

http://imgur.com/nE8Eo.jpg

edit: Obviously you're not talking about the actual grid view and just the list+art view in which case I'm pretty sure it's been like that forever.

Apps fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 2, 2010

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Apps posted:

edit: Obviously you're not talking about the actual grid view and just the list+art view in which case I'm pretty sure it's been like that forever.

It's not. You could resize it like any other column - my setup meant that when I clicked on an album in grid view, the album art column would be about 400 pixels wide. Nice and big without having to open the separate artwork viewer window. That's no longer possible - you have a choice of three sizes (selected from the drop-down menu in the column header), all of which are tiny.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, just set up Ping and, um....this thing is totally pointless, right?

I was getting kind of excited for the idea of other people being able to see when I rate songs five stars and such automatically from my iTunes library and such :/

This thing doesn't do anything...if I want to like an album, I have to go to it in the iTunes Store?? what the hell?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mistermojo posted:

How are you changing the size of the album art?

I can't seem to find a way to turn on album art in the old grid view which is really annoying because the new grid is a lot worse and it keeps reverting to old view if you select an artist or album

Once your in the artist page from grid view, click the album art header to sort by that, and then click it again. You'll be able to select a size.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Apps posted:

Home Grown, awesome!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Apps posted:

Nah, you could drag the artwork column out and make the artwork as big as you wanted. Now it's just tiny and poo poo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Since this is the iTunes thread, is anyone else having trouble with iTunes 10 detecting changes to tracks on the iPod? I just added album art for a track and it's not detecting at all. iTunes 9 would be a little overboard on this with every minuscule change to any track, but 10 isn't doing anything at all. This is pretty annoying.

fakeedit: Also, I'm getting the "Updating Library" message after every sync. This too is annoying, especially when not a drat thing has changed.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

How the hell do I prevent iTunes auto playing the video file when I drag it over the iTunes dock icon? I just want the file to be added to the library and nothing more.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

iTunes 10 seems to have changed the automatic rating mechanism.

In 8 and 9 it worked like this:
Rate a few songs, and you get an automatic (grey) rating for the album.
Rate the album, and every unrated song gets a grey rating.

Now, it's like this:
Rate a few songs, and every other song of that album gets a grey rating.

Unfortunately, smart playlists count every automatically rated song as "rated", which sort of ruins a "Not Yet Rated" playlist, for me at least.

Is there a way to disable automatic ratings, or at least get the old mechanism back? Some terminal "defaults.write" wizardry?
Currently, I've manually set every album rating to 0 stars, which works around the smart playlist problem, but I'd really prefer the old mechanism.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

89 posted:

So, just set up Ping and, um....this thing is totally pointless, right?

I was getting kind of excited for the idea of other people being able to see when I rate songs five stars and such automatically from my iTunes library and such :/

This thing doesn't do anything...if I want to like an album, I have to go to it in the iTunes Store?? what the hell?

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Bit of a sequel to Genius, where Apple took a good idea and then made it pointless by turning it into an ad program for the iTunes Store instead of actually making it do something useful.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Bit of a sequel to Genius, where Apple took a good idea and then made it pointless by turning it into an ad program for the iTunes Store instead of actually making it do something useful.

I think if they just integrated the stuff that iLike already does ("liking" an artist, looking at your friends artists to see what they're getting into), it would've been at least mildly successful. The fact that you can't "follow" artists until they set something up with apple makes it just look like a placeholder for something with actual content.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
The "sort Album by title/artist"-column that shows the artwork in album view doesn't go away for me when I switch to list view. It just hangs around unremovable, but is now empty and useless. I assume this is some kind of bug?

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
The "sort album by x" column is the album column.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What's a good Mac menu item for controlling iTunes? Preferably something that doesn't use a lot of CPU but has last.fm + the usual navigation.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Apps posted:

The "sort album by x" column is the album column.

... how do I make it go away?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

konna posted:

How the hell do I prevent iTunes auto playing the video file when I drag it over the iTunes dock icon? I just want the file to be added to the library and nothing more.

Use the Automatically Add to iTunes folder instead - I put a shortcut to it in my FInder sidebar, for instance.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

... how do I make it go away?

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
Ok, as there seems to be some confusion, this is what is happening:

This is in list view. The "album by artist" column is always empty and can't be removed. This is the field that displays the artwork in artwork view, not the regular "album by artist" one.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Don't use Album List view. Switch to another view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Don't use Album List view. Switch to another view.

I don't use album list view. This is in "regular" list view. Album List view works fine, but isn't usuable since it always switches back to list view when you click through on an arrow.