Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Nroo posted:

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

I love this movie, it is my favorite of all of Kurosawa's work

I finally saw Tombstone and was underwhelmed; I think I just waited too long to see it.

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Tombstone I have started this drat movie about 10 times and always fall asleep. I never fall asleep in movies.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Cool Hand Luke I am made at myself for not seeing this yet. I even own the movie.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. The Conversation I didn't like The French Connection and I seem to think this is the same movie.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

York_M_Chan posted:

8. The Conversation I didn't like The French Connection and I seem to think this is the same movie.

It's definitely not, check it out.

The Thin Red Line was a mixed bag for me. At one side there are some fantastic sequences and beautiful cinematography throughout, but sometimes I felt as I was being hit over the head with the symbolism of the nature of war, what it all means, etc. The performances were strong by those who actually got a chance to perform (Nick Nolte in particular), but why have so many big name actors and then just not use them to their potential? It was actually kind of amusing watching Adrien Brody's character because multiple times it looks like he's about to have a line and then it just cuts to the next scene. Is there an extended cut that improves on the film? Maybe I missed the point, but overall I was somewhat disappointed.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.

2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
2) Network - Been wanting to watch this as of late, someone pick it.

3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )

4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.

5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it was the movie of the month, so...
5) Charade - Well it is the movie of the month, so...
5) Fat City - Well it is the movie of the month, so...

6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.

7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
7) Spirited Away - For some reason anime turns me off, but it's been a while, so I'll give it another shot. This is high on the IMDb top 250 so I figured this would be a good place to try again.

8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.

9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.

10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try.
10) Lars von Trier - Shameful that I haven't seen any of his films yet. Where should I start? (Unless I absolutely must see Antichrist, I already know most of the movie through spoilers, so not as interested there).

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

JVO watch Network, it's fantastic.

The Thin Blue Line was simply an amazing documentary. The re-enactments, paired with the great Phillip Glass score really made this film great. Knowing that this movie actually got the innocent man out of jail made me appreciate it even more.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries-Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox-Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A.-Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

surlyrodent
Mar 11, 2008
Atheistdeals.com watch Cool Hand Luke I see a lot of posters have this movie on their list but for some reason it hardly ever gets recommended. It is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Here's my list:

1. Citizen Kane- Just never got around to watching it. Seen other Orson Welles movies and loved them though.

2. The Hurt Locker- Started watching this movie once, got interrupted and never got back to it.

3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington- Heard it was long and boring. The Simpsons' Mel Gibson remake looked awesome though.

4. Tron-

5. Some Like it Hot- I find comedy in old movies to be outdated and unfunny for the most part so never got around to watching this

6. Vertigo- Just always prioritized other Hitchcock movies

7. 12 Angry Men

8. Any John Wayne movie

9. The Apostle

10. Badlands- Saw this movie way back, but can't remember anything from it.

surlyrodent fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 2, 2010

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching The Wild Bunch and I have to admit it took a while to grab me. I really enjoyed the buddy-like scenes where they're taking the piss out of each other and the non-stop gun-fire shoot-out hyphon-fest at the end.

Surlyrodent go and watch 12 Angry Men. It's ridiculously captivating for a film that's set pretty much in one room.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey
North by Northwest - I loved Rear Window and thought I'd add another Hitchcock.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown
Citizen Kane
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard
Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Chauntecleer
Mar 15, 2006
Rawr!
Mikewozere, watch North by Northwest. If you liked Rear Window, you'll probably like this one too.

Watched Brazil. I think Terry Gilliam has a knack for translating his brilliant imagination from his mind onto the screen, and this movie may be the best example of that talent. Everything worked together to build an atmosphere that envelops the viewer, from the soundtrack to the lighting and colors to the lack of exposition. The movie is incredibly unconventional in its story arc and the strangeness (even the unsympathetic nature) of its characters, which is why I think it ends up being a film that sticks in your mind. I could talk about this movie for hours, but it will suffice to say that I was quite impressed and enjoyed it very much.

Updated List:

1. La Dolce Vita - I don't know what it's about, but in an episode of the 4400, Meghan Doyle has the movie's poster in her office, so now I want to see it.

2. Seven Samurai - My husband told me that this movie "is a Western, but with Samurai!" It'll be hard to live up to that description, now.

3. Touch of Evil - I love Orson Welles, but have only seen the opening shot of this movie for a film class. No good reason I haven't gotten around to watching the whole thing, but I haven't.

4. Chinatown - In Hot Fuzz, Danny Butterman says "Forget it Nick, it's Sanford!" Now I want to get the reference.

5. Duck Soup - I had a crush on Harpo Marx when I was a little girl, but haven't really seen many of the Marx Brothers' films.

6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Always heard this was great, but haven't seen it.

7. Brazil Saving Private Ryan- For some reason I've never really been too interested in this movie, probably because everyone gushed about it so endlessly when it first came out, so I was convinced it was just another blockbuster hit that would fade with time.

8. Shop Around the Corner - I love Jimmy Stewart, and have no good reason for not having seen this movie yet.

9. A Few Good Men - Everyone in law school says you have to watch this movie if you want to be a lawyer, but I don't like Tom Cruise so I haven't seen it.

10. Bridge Over th River Kwai - I saw African Queen when I was a little kid, but confused it with this movie (because they both.. um.. have a river?), and at some point in adulthood I realized that I never actually saw Bridge Over the River Kwai.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chauntecleer posted:

4. Chinatown - In Hot Fuzz, Danny Butterman says "Forget it Nick, it's Sanford!" Now I want to get the reference.
Maybe you'll pick up a few more references too. I get to recommend it 2 times in a row now.

Raging Bull is certainly a classic and De Niro kills that role. I wish I could've been more interested in the story, but the movie wasn't really up the alley of movies I like. However, that's just me, and this thread has made me a bit better about that. Maybe I just watched it at the wrong time of my maturation in movie watching.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Eraserhead - Never seen a Lynch movie and would be going into this without knowing anything about the plot or actors in it.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile - Keeping with a 90s trend here.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I almost said Eraserhead, but I'm not sure it's the best starting point when it comes to Lynch (that would probably be Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man or Mulholland Dr) so I say Rear Window because everyone should see more Hitchcock and that would also give you another Jimmy Stewart movie on your seen-list.

Andrei Rublev - I'm not exaggerating when I say that this might be the best movie I've ever seen. Simply stunning in every possible way. Whatever I see next will surely suffer in comparison. (5/5)

quote:

1. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, I need to see something by Parajanov and I guess this is the place to start.

2. Andrei Rublev
2. L'Atalante, supposedly one of the greatest love movies ever made. I've been wanting to find out whether that's true or not but always ended up seeing something else instead.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours has made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. The Leopard, one of the all time greats. Or so I've been told. I guess the prospect of a three hour long Italian melodrama scares me a bit.

Seen: Notorious (5/5), The Manchurian Candidate (4/5), The Man Who Fell To Earth (3/5), Andrei Rublev (5/5).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MonkeeKong nearly everything else on your list, except Satantango, is something I found really underwhelming so you get The Leopard because it's much shorter at only 3 hours.

Lilja 4-ever was about as depressing as I expected, but it was really good. I really liked the characterizations and while it was bleak it wasn't overwhelming.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

Burma VJ The Cove beat this out for best doc, but I think it might have more potential to impress me.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover I've never seen a Greenway film and this gets mentioned a lot.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy should watch The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover.

I watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Not a lot to say but it's a fun movie and Bogart was great. Love that he can go from playing romantic leads to a slightly despicable character like Dobbs.

Revised list:
The 400 Blows - I think I'll probably get on with Truffaut better than Godard and yet haven't seen anything of his besides his American movie.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Sullivan's Travels - Another film about Hollywood since I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard so much, and I've heard it's pretty funny.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

In the Mood for Love - Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-wai except Chungking express which I liked but not enough to seek out anything else. I've heard good things about this though?

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - Need to watch more Greenaway since I've loved what I've seen so far.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

The Maltese Falcon - More Bogart/Huston that I haven't seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

drat, I keep missing my chance to pick for PA, I'd love to know what he has to say about Still Life. Oh well... Noxville, you get 400 Blows.

Yankee Doodle Dandy - This is going to be a review of "but"s. I don't like Cagney that much. I don't like the way he acts, I don't like the way he sings, and I especially don't like the way he dances (it always looks like his asscheeks are trying to go in two different directions).... BUT I like the idea of Cagney, I like his persona. As far as Curtiz goes, Casablanca is probably in my all-time top 10... BUT I haven't been wowed by his other work. Gung-ho patriotism is a huge turn-off for me... BUT the patriotism here is presented in such a vague, apolitical manner that it didn't bother me. And I don't care much for biopics, especially ones structured this way, where no problem can't be solved in under 5 minutes... BUT it does have a breezy sense of fun to it that's somewhat infectious. Shall I keep going? Cohan's songs don't ring my bells... BUT they're not terrible either, and there's some nice staging of the numbers. There's nothing brilliant about this movie... BUT scattered here and there are some terrific little moments. In summary: I didn't love this film and wouldn't ever bother to watch it again... BUT it was fairly entertaining. Rating: 6

I also watched Reckless Moment last week, comments posted in the "Rate the Latest" thread.

updated list:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

2. The Reckless Moment
2. Fox and His Friends ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Fassbinder is more miss than hit with me. Got a bad vibe about this one, but I could be surprised.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - Another one that appears on several lists.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Landscape in the Mist ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Something by Angelopoulos is an iffy proposition: Eternity and a Day was okay, but Travelling Players was a massive bore.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights ("Filmsite.org's 100 Greatest Films Pt. 1") - I expect it to be watchable at least.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Don't really know anything about this one either.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FitFortDanga posted:

8. Wuthering Heights ("Filmsite.org's 100 Greatest Films Pt. 1") - I expect it to be watchable at least.

I haven't seen any of the movies on your list, but I have seen the godawful MTV made for tv version of this. At the very least you will undoubtedly enjoy this more than you would that version.

The Red Shoes, This was an amazing picture. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted. The lengthy ballet sequence was astonishingly good. I've never had much interest in ballet, and while I don't think I'm going to be rushing out to get season tickets for the local ballet company, I was enthralled for the entirety of the titular performance. All in all a great movie.

Revanche: Hadn't heard of it until netflix told me I'd love it.
The Last Picture Show: I don't know anything about this movie, something to do with a movie house closing down?
Metropolitan: No real explanation for not seeing this, the description makes it seem like something I'd enjoy.
Scarface (1932): I gather the DePalma has very little to do with this movie, and I haven't seen any 30's gangster movies in awhile, and almost no pre-code ones I don't think..
Raising ArizonaBetween the Nick Cage thread, excitement for the True Grit remake, and my abiding love for the Coen Brothers (I even liked Intolerable Cruelty and The Lady Killers a little bit) the fact that I haven't seen this early effort from them seems increasingly wrong.
D.O.A. Shortly after I moved to the Bay Area, the SF Museum of Modern Art had a giant video art exhibition, one of the displays was three tvs playing this movie with staggered start times so you could see the begining middle and end all at the same time. I watched for a little while and it made me incredibly curious to see the actual film. I don't remember much from the couple minutes I watched so I don't think it'd be spoiled for me.
All About Eve I understand this involves Bette Davis being reall nasty to Anne Baxter and vice versa? That sounds awesome in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf kind of way.
Stagecoach or The Searchers Haven't seen any John Wayne movies, at least not since I was a little kid.My understanding is you get more out of the latter if you've seen the former first, but if someone disagrees let me know.
Faces I saw The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and wasn't super impressed, but it did make me curious to see more Cassavetes.
Star Trek: The Motion PictureThe start wreck thread made me realize I've seen every single Star Trek Film except the first one, even the godawful recent TNG ones.

Seen Paris, Texas 4/5 High and Low 3/5 The Rules of the Game 3/5 The Red Shoes 4/5

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Skwirl, watch Raising Arizona! I held off on it despite my love of the Coens because of Nic Cage, but this movie made me love Cage like I'd never hated him in the first place. Enjoy!

I watched The Deer Hunter. Holy poo poo. I don't know what to say except for: I am moved. Great performances all around, amazing audio and visuals. I don't think I'll ever forget the sound of the Vietnamese guy during the final roulette scene as he loads the bullet, spins and barrel and snaps it into place. The tension right before an empty *click* was nerve wracking as hell. Also, this is the earliest Christopher Walken role I've ever seen and drat he was a good looking guy back in the day (Meryl Streep wasn't too bad either!). I also got really sad every time John Cazale was on screen. :(

Great loving movie, everyone go watch it.

~New List~

1. Shane
A classic western I haven't gotten around to, even though I love westerns.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
I have never seen a David Lynch film that isn't Dune, but I'll probably love this at least.

3. Chinatown
I have little Polanski viewing experience and I've only recently gotten over a hatred for Jack Nicholson.

4. Heaven's Gate
After The Deer Hunter, I'm tempted to go through Cimino's filmography. I was going to put Thunderbolt and Lightfoot here, but Netflix doesn't have it! So I'll skip that and go right for one of the biggest failures in cinema...
The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West
This will be my Sergio Leone slot, as I adore the Leone I've seen and want to watch them all.

6. The Killing
One of the last few Kubrick films I haven't seen yet.
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I'm limited on my Hitchcock viewing and this is his most highest rated movie on IMDB, so I'll start here.

8. Vacancy
After watching Kontroll on a whim I discovered I love Nimrod Antal. I also like Luke Wilson so I should've seen this by now.
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Lawrence of Arabia
I've never had the urge to watch it because I already know it's good. That's the worst excuse ever.
Sunset Blvd.
American History X

10. Seven Samurai
Kurosawa slot. Love what I've seen and want more.

Fuckin' A.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

The Machine posted:

3. Chinatown
I have little Polanski viewing experience and I've only recently gotten over a hatred for Jack Nicholson.

This is the only movie I've seen on your list, but Chinatown is a great movie anyway. I hope you like noir.

Cool Hand Luke was pretty drat good. I don't think I've ever rooted harder for any character as much as I rooted for Paul Newman's excellent portrayal of Luke, and his smile is infectious. George Kennedy also did a great job as Dragline. I saw Dennis Hopper in the credits, but didn't see him anywhere at all. Usually his characters stick out like a sore thumb.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial - Tell me to watch Citizen Kane first.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane - Greatest movie of all time? I don't see how it can be better than Robot Jox.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Gone With The Wind for being incredibly long is a damned powerful film about a woman's growth from a young girl, driven by unrequited love, into a skilled manipulator and uccessful business woman. It gets alarmingly grim at times, but as a character study it's not only wonderfully compelling, but it also speaks of a time when Hollywood could present a strong woman without making her some kind of super assassin.

Atheistdeals.com, you should watch Citizen Kane.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind

Any Werner Herzog apart from Bad Lieutenant.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 4, 2010

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This was recommended to me about a week and a half ago, but I finally had 4 solid hours to watch it

dotCommunism posted:

The A-Team Van: watch Lawrence of Arabia

So loving glad I finally saw this film. It was everything I knew it would be. Immense, grand, breath taking. I love Westerns, so the vast scale of this was nothing new, but drat was it great. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. loving amazing film.

Movies [updated]:
In The Name of the Father-Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing, and I'm pretty sure he's amazing in this one.
The Big Sleep (original and remake)-Don't ask me why I haven't seen either.
The Quiet Man-I am not a fan of John Wayne, but I feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself by not watching Wayne/Ford movies. The Searchers was incredible.
The Maltese Falcon-I am a fan of Dashiell Hammett, so, why haven't I seen this?
Rebel Without a Cause-Again, I've known about this forever, but have never seen it.

Note: those are all on my DVR or scheduled to record in the near future. I'll watch them all eventually. :shobon:

ProfessorClumsy posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

In my opinion, this is a near perfect horror film.

surlyrodent
Mar 11, 2008
The A-Team Van you get The Big Sleep. Love film noir. The film is also extra enjoyable if you are a fan of the Big Lebowski in my opinion.

Just watched 12 Angry Men and found it to be super engaging. I've really liked just about every Sidney Lumet film I've seen so don't know why I didn't get around to this sooner.

1. Citizen Kane- Just never got around to watching it. Seen other Orson Welles movies and loved them though.

2. The Hurt Locker- Started watching this movie once, got interrupted and never got back to it.

3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington- Heard it was long and boring. The Simpsons' Mel Gibson remake looked awesome though.

4. Tron- Don't know if this can be considered a classic or if I should be ashamed for not having seen it but I guess I might be missing out on a pop-culture reference or two.

5. Some Like it Hot- I find comedy in old movies to be outdated and unfunny for the most part so never got around to watching this

6. Vertigo- Just always prioritized other Hitchcock movies

7. 12 Angry Men

8. Any John Wayne movie

9. The Apostle

10. Badlands- Saw this movie way back, but can't remember anything from it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Color Purple was kind of odd. Spielberg doesn't so much produce a tight, developed plot as he does simply tell a story, the kind where the scenes and characters spill out like the innards of a gutted enemy. It does work, though, once it's relaxed into and you accept that the film is simply going to roll along naturally. The comic scenes are kind of jarring at first because they seem so out of place, but they seem to serve two purposes, the first isto make the cruelty all the more horrific, and the second , possibly, to make a film with the strange racist overtures of the period in which it's set. Spielberg is very big on making and producing films like that, that not only depict realistically or fantastically a period but adhere to its values. It's a weird trick but it makes sense when you start to realize that The Color Purple works best as a dream-style illusion film that is constantly ready with tricks. Take the scene in which Sofia swears out the white woman in town for implying that her children should be her maids. In a modern context it plays at first like a "hell yeah" moment, and it's almost funny, but then the vindication is removed and it becomes violent and frightening and sad (particularly the detail of her skirt blowing up and revealing her legs and underwear), and it goes a long way, dramatically. It's more successful in its efforts to be free-floating and unpredictable than the messy Empire Of The Sun, which comes across more as lumpy and uneven (though similar ideas are at play), and it's definitely a very good and rather singular film.

EDIT: Also this is a really beautiful film, despite the mediocre DVD. Spielberg seems to be taking a leaf or two from Terrance Malick, photographing the South with a wide, open frame and a meandering camera. He also utilizes somewhat poetic voiceovers similar to those from Days Of Heaven, though decidedly less detached and more plot/character-oriented. Also, the music is kind of weird at times, and it works with the scenes that begin as sort of humorous and turn deathly black. I'll never forget the entrance of Sofia's character, her storming up the road, arms swinging, cartoonishly twangy music playing. "She was a big girl". The introduction is referenced again in the scene where, after Celia has suggested that Harpo beat his wife, she (Sofia) comes storming through a swath of cornstalks to confront her. Tall plants are a running theme in this movie, I wonder if they're symbolic for anything (or more appropriately, what symbols can we attach to them?).

surlyrodent, you get Tron. It's fun! Also there's a pretty great thread about it floating around here somewhere, it's worth a read after you've seen the film.

羞辱!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY: The French Connection

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple (total: 16)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 5, 2010

Chauntecleer
Mar 15, 2006
Rawr!
Magic Hate Ball, I've been commanded to tell you to watch Das Boot. I actually haven't seen it, but apparently it is about a boat, not a boot. My husband says "don't be a wuss, watch the director's cut with 60 additional minutes of footage."

Watched Chinatown. I have to admit, it wasn't my favorite. It was an entertaining movie, and as I grew up in California it had a lot of scenery (like pine trees next to palm trees) and themes (like water and land disputes) that I particularly enjoyed because they remind me of home. There were also some fantastic quotes, like "politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." However, the father-daughter sex stuff seems kind of contrived, though I guess maybe that was more shocking in the 70's. Maybe it's just that I've seen enough more detective films that this movie seems to pale in comparison. With that said, I still don't think it was a bad movie, I just wouldn't consider it a classic.

Updated List:

1. La Dolce Vita - I don't know what it's about, but in an episode of the 4400, Meghan Doyle has the movie's poster in her office, so now I want to see it.

2. Seven Samurai - My husband told me that this movie "is a Western, but with Samurai!" It'll be hard to live up to that description, now.

3. Touch of Evil - I love Orson Welles, but have only seen the opening shot of this movie for a film class. No good reason I haven't gotten around to watching the whole thing, but I haven't.

4. Chinatown The Maltese Falcon- I like film noir, I like Humphrey Bogart, so I don't know why I haven't seen this one.

5. Duck Soup - I had a crush on Harpo Marx when I was a little girl, but haven't really seen many of the Marx Brothers' films.

6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Always heard this was great, but haven't seen it.

7. Brazil Saving Private Ryan- For some reason I've never really been too interested in this movie, probably because everyone gushed about it so endlessly when it first came out, so I was convinced it was just another blockbuster hit that would fade with time.

8. Shop Around the Corner - I love Jimmy Stewart, and have no good reason for not having seen this movie yet.

9. A Few Good Men - Everyone in law school says you have to watch this movie if you want to be a lawyer, but I don't like Tom Cruise so I haven't seen it.

10. Bridge Over th River Kwai - I saw African Queen when I was a little kid, but confused it with this movie (because they both.. um.. have a river?), and at some point in adulthood I realized that I never actually saw Bridge Over the River Kwai.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I'd just like to update to say that I'm still alive and I'm working on Berlin Alexanderplatz. So far I'm through the first 8 parts, which means I've only got 6 to go!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Chauntecleer, I hope you enjoy Duck Soup.

Wuthering Heights - This version made me appreciate Bunuel's much more. Wyler has none of Bunuel's sense of humor about how over-the-top and awful these characters are, and instead treats them as romantic/tragic heroes. The true culprit may very well be Alfred Newman, whose horrible, horrible score is drenched all over the place, ruining almost every scene with absurd amounts of syrupy strings. As for the rest of it, it's okay-to-good. Olivier is a massively overrated actor, in my opinion, but he does a decent job here, as does Merle Oberon. Toland's photography is, as to be expected, quite grand. The film moves along smoothly and usually holds your interest. I still prefer Bunuel's take on the story, however... a far more fiery (and slyly satirical) rendition. Rating: 6

updated list:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

2. The Reckless Moment
2. Fox and His Friends ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Fassbinder is more miss than hit with me. Got a bad vibe about this one, but I could be surprised.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - I need to watch this one for several other lists as well.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Landscape in the Mist ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Something by Angelopoulos is an iffy proposition: Eternity and a Day was okay, but Travelling Players was a massive bore.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon ("mizoguchi's Introduction to Foreign Films") - No, it's not that Mizoguchi. This mizoguchi is just a guy on ListsOfBests.com whose tastes I generally agree with. This is the only movie on this particular list of his that I haven't seen. Looks good, plus it was written by Kiarostami.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Don't really know anything about this one either.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

FitFortDanga, I haven't seen any of your films, so you get to watch Hold Me While I'm Naked chosen entirely at random, sorry about that.

So I watched Chinatown, what a fantastic film! The ending is seriously dark nothing changes and pedo-dad gets the girl. Nicholson is great, just the right balance between cocky and out of depth. The plot reveals were nice and subtle, makes a big change from most of the films I watch.

Rocky - I watched one of the later ones (don't remember which one) and it was poo poo, I think that coloured my opinion of the first one. I only remembered about this while reading the thread.
Rashomon - Started watching it a couple of times its so long it gets put aside too easily.
Metropolis - I'm interested enough to have bought it, not motivated enough to have watched it.
Marius, Fanny and Cesar - Watched Marius and really enjoyed it, the endings sad enough that Im reluctant to watch Fanny which I assume picks up where Marius ends.
any Bruce Lee film - Not really into martial arts films, get the feeling I should watch a Bruce Lee film though...
Treasure of the Sierra Madre - After watching Casablanca for the first time (several years ago now) I went on a bit of a Humph binge, ran out of steam just before watching this.
La Rčgle du jeu - I'd never heard of it till this thread, be good for my french though.
E.T. - Almost certain Ive seen the whole film in disjointed chunks at Christmases etc, never sat down and watched the whole thing though.
Last Tango in Paris - Ive seen exactly one scene, you know which one.
Shindlers List - Im not sure if I've seen this or not, which I assume means I haven't, surely I'd remember...

Watched: Titanic

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dirty Frank, I'm going to give you Marius, Fanny and Cesar because it's the only thing on your list I haven't seen, and I've been curious about them myself.

Hold Me While I'm Naked - The story of this short is a bit obfuscated, but it seemed to be about a lonely director guy who is sexually obsessed with his actress. Kind of feels like a student film by someone who watched a whole lot of Kenneth Anger and little bit of Godard. It's somewhat amusing but it isn't too clear what Kuchar is driving at, if anything. Maybe it's meant to be self-referential, or maybe it's just a spoof. I didn't hate it, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me either. Rating: 6

updated list:

2. The Reckless Moment

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - I need to watch this one for several other lists as well.

4. Moonfleet

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon ("mizoguchi's Introduction to Foreign Films") - No, it's not that Mizoguchi. This mizoguchi is just a guy on ListsOfBests.com whose tastes I generally agree with. This is the only movie on this particular list of his that I haven't seen. Looks good, plus it was written by Kiarostami.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked
9. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades ("Diskuterfilm.com's top 30 of the 1970s") - I've wanted to see one of these for a long time. Is this a good one to start with, or is there some established continuity from previous films I need to be aware of?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Dirty Frank posted:

Rashomon - Started watching it a couple of times its so long it gets put aside too easily.

It's like an hour and 30??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It can drag a bit if you aren't expecting the long silent-movie-like sequences at the start

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

Wuthering Heights - This version made me appreciate Bunuel's much more. Wyler has none of Bunuel's sense of humor about how over-the-top and awful these characters are, and instead treats them as romantic/tragic heroes. The true culprit may very well be Alfred Newman, whose horrible, horrible score is drenched all over the place, ruining almost every scene with absurd amounts of syrupy strings. As for the rest of it, it's okay-to-good. Olivier is a massively overrated actor, in my opinion, but he does a decent job here, as does Merle Oberon. Toland's photography is, as to be expected, quite grand. The film moves along smoothly and usually holds your interest. I still prefer Bunuel's take on the story, however... a far more fiery (and slyly satirical) rendition. Rating: 6

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there was a Bunuel version of Wuthering Heights. I need to get on that.
Also, the biggest problem with Wuthering Heights are the people who view the characters as romantic when they're really all just huge assholes.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?
FitFortDanga, I haven't seen it, but the plot of The White Balloon reminds me of another Iranian movie that I saw a while back and really liked, so I'll choose that one for you.

It was hard to get into Eraserhead at first, partially because it's been a while since I've seen anything by Lynch and Eraserhead is basically super-concentrated Lynch. But once I let go a little it reminded me of a lot of the things I like about Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet. I've forgotten how good Lynch is at setting a surreal and unsettling scene. Ultimately I think it works better when it's grounded in something more tangible, so you get the contrast between the normal and the off-kilter. Eraserhead starts off the rails and just keeps going. If I hadn't seen other Lynch works I think I would have been very put off by it and I probably would have dismissed it as pretentious nonsense, but as it was I found it interesting if a bit slow. Also, the last ten minutes or so are disturbing and more than a little :barf:.

Here's the updated list:

1. Lawrence of Arabia is on everyone' list but I have to put it on mine because it's the one movie that I can think of that I've been meaning to watch for over 10 years and just haven't done it for one reason or another.

2. All Quiet on the Western Front: When I was in high school I went through classic war movie phase but never got around to this one.

3. Jacob's LadderTrainspotting: I like a lot of the Danny Boyle movies I've seen but haven't seen this one yet aside from a couple of the more famous scenes.

4. A Few Good Men: Always thought it seemed ridiculous and forgettable because people kept quoting that one line but I keep hearing people saying that it's great.

5. Solaris: Saw the Clooney remake and thought it was terrible so I never saw the original, even though it's apparently great.

6. Dr. Zhivago: I'm ashamed to say that I don't even know what it's about.
I just know it's one of those movies you're supposed to watch.

7.Eraserhead:The Elephant Man I had this on my list when I first posted but Netflix didn't seem to have it available. Now it does seem to be available and I still want to see it.

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: Just never grabbed my interest despite having seen it referenced approximately 1 billion times.

9. Oldboy: I've seen this recommended a lot on these forums and it seems like the sort of dark psychological movie that I'd find interesting.

10. 8 1/2: I've been kind of interested ever since it was referred to in Ghost World, but never enough to actually pick it up. Also never seen any Fellini and apparently you are supposed to.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Sinfjotli, watch Lawrence of Arabia. I was the same as you, once. I never watched it because it was so long. Then once I put it in for awhile, didn't like it at first, and decided it was too long to continue watching at my low level of interest.

Years later, I watched it again. It's amazing. I understand now why it's considered one of the greats of all time. I just suggest you watch it on a large screen and not your computer.

This seems like a good way to force me to watch movies I want to watch but have something hanging me up. For now I'll make it half movies I own but haven't watched (~20 out of 600-something, mainly because they came in box sets I bought for something else) and half movies that I just should watch.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3. Bullitt- Honestly, the only reason I've avoided watching this is because I'm not a big Mustang fan...

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

6. To Be Or Not To Be- Highest on the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. Bonnie and Clyde- I love the real-life stories of the 1900s bank robbers, just never gotten around to seeing the film version.

9. Vita e Bella- I've got an aversion to non-Fellini or Leone Italian movies, for some reason.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
Brian Fellows, you get La Vita e Bella.

On the Waterfront was good, the actors in the main roles did well but I noticed the bad dialog and acting by those in smaller roles quite frequently. Marlon Brando pretty much carries the movie. The story itself is pretty classic but is very enjoyable due to Brando and Malden. 8.5/10

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd
The Lost Weekend: Sticking with Billy Wilder theme here.

The Third Man
The Maltese Falcon: This is a genre I definitely need to catch up to and this one is next in line.

High Noon: Has been put on hold too many times in favour of other westerns.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen, wich are all but two.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Sleuth: Heard of this movie from these forums. It has been recommended pretty often so I'll put my trust in that.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai
On the Waterfront
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: Putting this one in because my sister recommended it. I have somehow avoided watching this and I don't know why.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching North By Northwest. Thought it was great. Although it's only my second Hitchcock film, you can already notice so many director trade-marks and styles that it's instantly recognisable. I love how he sort of puts the viewer in the characters place and asks "what would you do?" as in the case of being completely helpless in Rear Window and completely unbelievable in North By Northwest. Great film.

Baktus watch The Hustler because I find Paul Newman mesmerising.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey
North by Northwest
Heat - Pretty amazed I haven't seen this.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown
Citizen Kane
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard
Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.
[/quote]

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

mikewozere, have fun with The Magnificent Seven.

Finally watched Barry Lyndon afer almost three months, better than I expected even though it dragged at parts. I promise not to take this long again.

La Strada
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion
Wings of Desire
Open City

Knocked off: Tokyo Story, Fanny and Alexander, Barry Lyndon

Chauntecleer
Mar 15, 2006
Rawr!
Wilhelm Scream, watch Ikiru. The pacing is much slower than most American movies, but it's worth it.

Watched Duck Soup. I love films that showcase things that are timeless, and the Marx Brothers have a lot of timeless comedy. I expected to smile during the movie and maybe chuckle a few times, but I really just couldn't stop laughing. How is it that a guy in a wig cutting things up with scissors never gets old?

Updated List:

4. Chinatown The Maltese Falcon- I like film noir, I like Humphrey Bogart, so I don't know why I haven't seen this one.

5. Duck Soup Philadelphia Story - Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart? Sign me up!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jack Does Jihad posted:

It's like an hour and 30??

Yeah it could be more the pacing that put me off, its been a while since my last try I don't remember so well.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chauntecleer posted:

After watching this on request here, I must say it is a very good film.

Rear Window is the definition of suspense. Great story, very engaging, and very well shot from the apartment. It's a great build up to those last 20 minutes when the suspense breaks. It also kills off my original 10.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Keeping with Hitchcock/Stewart theme.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile - Keeping with a 90s trend here.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Can't get enough James Stewart on one list.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Alright marioinblack, you get The Green Mile. Yes, it is acceptable to cry.

I just finished watching The Big Sleep (1946), and I loved it. I guess I loved it because I really enjoy a good crime story/film noir in general. Humphrey Bogart was amazing and had some incredible lines. A few notable scenes were the initial exchange in Geiger's bookstore/Brody's apartment/the end. Overall, it was really well done and kept me on my toes, so to speak.

Movies [updated 9/06]:
In The Name of the Father-Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing, and I'm pretty sure he's amazing in this one.
The Big Sleep (remake)-I guess I'm a little apprehensive to watch the remake now. I mean, the Comcast description only has 2 stars next to the title. However, it stars Robert Mitchum, so who knows.
The Quiet Man-I am not a fan of John Wayne, but I feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself by not watching Wayne/Ford movies. The Searchers was incredible.
The Maltese Falcon-I am a fan of Dashiell Hammett, so, why haven't I seen this?
Rebel Without a Cause-Again, I've known about this forever, but have never seen it.
Foxy Brown-I can't think of a good reason for not seeing this.
The Thomas Crown Affair-Wasn't a fan of the remake, but, gently caress, Steve McQueen.
Ransom-Come on, I swear I've seen this. I know I've seen it. Have I?
Casualties of War-I've seen parts of it on TV, but never really got into it. It's a De Palma flick, and I like De Palma.
Conan The Barbarian/Conan The Destroyer-I am literally not a man. I feel so bad admitting this.

Note: those are all on my DVR or scheduled to record in the near future. I'll watch them all eventually. :shobon:

Obidy
Sep 6, 2010
The A-Team Van, I'm gonna pick The Maltese Falcon for you because if you hadn't seen either that or The Big Sleep before you came to this thread, you really need to get yourself some more noir movies. That and it's the only movie on your list I have actually seen.

As for my list, it's pretty easy to pick. I have tons of movies on Netflix right now and want to see all of them... but I never know where to start. So I'd love it if someone could do that for me.

Here's the list:

1. The Bicycle Thieves - This is one of the many movies on my netflix instant queue right now, and I'm familiar with the basic premise, of a man who has the bicycle he needs for work stolen. I don't know much else except for how it's generally on lists of the greatest movies of all time.

2. Do the Right Thing - My only previous exposure to Spike Lee has been the Inside Man, but I'm interested in seeing some of his earlier stuff. It was between this and Malcolm X, but Do the Right Thing is like an hour and a half shorter, so I went with this one.

3. The Last Emperor - Bertolucci isn't a filmmaker I'm all that familiar with, but for some reason I like the idea of this movie and want to see if it's as good as a lot of critics say it is.

4. The Searchers - My dad is the kind of guy who has seen every, and I mean every John Wayne film ever made. This is his favorite Western of all time, and a few years ago he sat me down to watch it. I got bored and wandered off, but now I'm much more interested in watching it than before.

5. Wild Strawberries - I enjoyed Seventh Seal a lot more than I expected and was surprised how funny it could be at times. I'm interested in seeing more Bergman as I get the chance, and of the movies I have access to this one interests me the most.

6. The General - This supposed to be Buster Keaton's masterpiece, and one of the greatest movies of the silent era. I have yet to see any silents in general, so I wanted to start with a good one.

7. Hoop Dreams - I first became interested in seeing this when I heard it so highly recommended from Roger Ebert, and ever since then I've been meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I want some Robert Redford and Paul Newman, but don't have my dad's copy of the Sting with me so I can't watch this when I want to.

9. Paths of Glory - I have only a limited exposure to Kubrick's movies and want to see more, so I figured that this would be a good starting point with him.

10. Yojimbo - I've seen a bunch of Kurosawa's movies, but for some reason I've never seen Yojimbo. I couldn't tell you for the life of me how I missed this one, but it just seemed to slip through my fingers.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Obidy, I'm staying true to my avatar and assigning Wild Strawberries to you.

The White Balloon - This is my first film directed by Jafar Panahi, but I would say the more important credit is that it was written by Abbas Kiarostami. The film plays out much like Where Is My Friend's Home?, using a child with a very simple problem to illustrate the interactions of a community. You can't think of a much more stripped-down premise than "little girl wants to buy a goldfish", but Panahi & Kiarostami mine it for plenty of tension, insight and subtle social commentary. The fleeting hints at something sinister going on with the father (the son appears with unexplained bruises, the mysterious "second job") are intriguing. I must confess that the significance of the balloon vendor's ethnicity entirely escaped me until I started reading the IMDb message board, but I think you would have to be from the area to pick up on it. This is a terrific movie that does an awful lot with so little, and features some excellent, understated performances. Rating: 8

updated list:

2. The Reckless Moment

4. Moonfleet

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon
8. High School ("Gerald Peary's 100 Films For Film Literacy") - I liked Titicut Follies, so I'm certainly open to more Wiseman.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked
9. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance/Baby Cart at the River Styx/Baby Cart to Hades ("Diskuterfilm.com's top 30 of the 1970s") - I've wanted to see one of these for a long time. "Baby Cart to Hades" is the one on the list, but I'll watch the first two as well.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 6, 2010

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFort, for the Lone Wolf movies there is an overarching storyline, so I do recommend checking them out in order. The first three are solid, but after that they kinda got weak.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

FitFort, for the Lone Wolf movies there is an overarching storyline, so I do recommend checking them out in order. The first three are solid, but after that they kinda got weak.

Thanks. The library has a DVD set with the first 6, so I guess I can watch the preceding movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It will feel good to complete the list, even if the reveal's been spoiled.

So Apocalypse Now. God. drat. That is one intense loving movie. Just finished it less than five minutes ago and I still have a very disturbed feeling in the pit of my stomach. Everyone, EVERYONE in this movie was phenomenal. I've never seen Martin Sheen in any role as good or as intense as this one. It's just a whole WOW thing. The atmosphere of the movie is so crazy, and the further that boat goes up river more insane it gets. The music, the acting, the atmosphere, the situation, it all goes crazier and crazier the closer they get to Kurtz. The part where they reach the bridge, it literally looked like my interpretation of the gates of hell. Insanity, chaos, fear, flailing. Just pure and simple Hell. God. drat.

I also happened to watch A Streetcar Named Desire on my own. That movie was wonderful. Vivien Leigh is great how she plays mad, and of course Brando is top notch. It was interesting seeing Brando in this and then Brando in Apocalypse Now. It has sealed my thinking that Brando really is deserving of the title as one of the greatest actors of all time. Fantastic!

Okay, so here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 6, 2010