Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I just got given a broken ps3. The HD works, and connects to the playstation network, and i even downloaded a game demo that worked fine. The disc drive however does not read games/dvds/cds. Its out of warranty, how much would it cost to replace the disc drive? Do i need to send it to sony or should some local company (austin, tx) be able to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

I thought any reverse-engineering, rom-dumping and the like are not allowed according to a game's EULA (or its equivalent). :v:

EULAs tend to be of dubious legality; and are certainly not the same thing as copyright law. Heck, you may be able to come in legal possession of a cartridge and never see the EULA once, so it'd be rather hard to claim you're bound by it as a contract.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Crunkjuice posted:

I just got given a broken ps3. The HD works, and connects to the playstation network, and i even downloaded a game demo that worked fine. The disc drive however does not read games/dvds/cds. Its out of warranty, how much would it cost to replace the disc drive? Do i need to send it to sony or should some local company (austin, tx) be able to fix it?
It's really, really easy, and a new BD-laser assembly should cost about 60 bucks. I've done it twice to one of my PS3s. (The first new laser I got turned out to be defective. Ha! Pay for quality, in this case.)

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Well the first homebrew app for the PS3 is out and unsurprisingly its a FTP Server.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Loanarn posted:

Well the first homebrew app for the PS3 is out and unsurprisingly its a FTP Server.

Gee I wonder what that could be used for.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

I said come in! posted:

Transferring pictures of my Grandmother's birthday to my hard drive without having to use a USB cable or thumb drive, obviously.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

I said come in! posted:

Copying pirated content directly/copying media files to PS3 (which can already be done very easily with any streaming app).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ham posted:

Copying pirated content directly/copying media files to PS3 (which can already be done very easily with any streaming app).

I was being sarcastic. :p

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I like all the people who are being so goody-two-shoes about the whole thing. Like you have owned every single song you ever had on your computer, or owned every single NES cart for your emulating needs.

While i don't think piracy is great either, this constant "gee, theres nothing but piracy" talk is just boring. While it could start and stop at piracy, you know it won't.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I said come in! posted:

I was being sarcastic. :p

Oh we all know. You just need to realize that Ham is retarded. (and also from Egypt, didn't you know that Arabs have no sense of humor?) :buddy:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I wonder what it says about me if my thought was "I wonder if it gives access to system files so perhaps they can be better reverse-engineered?".

I am guessing your guess it right, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I like all the people who are being so goody-two-shoes about the whole thing. Like you have owned every single song you ever had on your computer, or owned every single NES cart for your emulating needs.

While i don't think piracy is great either, this constant "gee, theres nothing but piracy" talk is just boring. While it could start and stop at piracy, you know it won't.

Some are just smart enough not to post "Homebrew isn't only about piracy! I use it for piracy, piracy, piracy, piracy and roguelikes"

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Fuzz posted:

Oh we all know. You just need to realize that Ham is retarded. (and also from Egypt, didn't you know that Arabs have no sense of humor?) :buddy:

Hey look it's Righteous Pirate, go complain about PSP software some more.

http://www.ps3hax.net/2010/09/psgroove-v1-1-updated-with-lv2-and-poke-syscalls/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

I think it's a real shame that with the online stores on consoles (PlayStation Store, Xbox Marketplace and Wii Shopping Channel) that we're only able to buy games. I'd love it if consoles were opened up to independantly developed applications like what we see on the iPhone etc, since it seems such a waste to hold things such as that back.

I'm hoping that when the PS4 comes around, Sony open up development a little bit more and let people bring their own applications/themes/whatever to the PS3. It seems like the natural evolution from where we currently are.

That isn't going to happen since licensing software releases is one of the big money makers for all of the console manufacturers. Opening things up like a PC would be the end of that no matter how cool it would be.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Someone had mentioned before that there was a way to revert firmware on your PS3... I haven't found any evidence to confirm this, do you have a link, or is it in fact impossible?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Can you ever revert something written as firmware?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think technically you're overwriting it with an older firmware rather than reverting.

Fuzz posted:

Someone had mentioned before that there was a way to revert firmware on your PS3... I haven't found any evidence to confirm this, do you have a link, or is it in fact impossible?

It's some kind of USB thing. I remember it being posted ages ago. All it could do was let you change your firmware at will, and it probably doesn't even work anymore.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Aphrodite posted:

It's some kind of USB thing. I remember it being posted ages ago. All it could do was let you change your firmware at will, and it probably doesn't even work anymore.

Yeah, it hasn't worked for a long time. There are tricks (proxy servers) to block mandatory updates while retaining psn access though, which I know a couple of people are using so they don't lose OtherOS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Murodese posted:

Yeah, it hasn't worked for a long time. There are tricks (proxy servers) to block mandatory updates while retaining psn access though, which I know a couple of people are using so they don't lose OtherOS.

Dammit, really? Well poo poo, now I'm sad I don't have OtherOS anymore. Apparently the PCSX2 guy is getting to work already on a PS2 emulator AND a Dreamcast emulator. I'll say no more since some people are going to start crying about piracy or whatever.

Suffice it to say, how does one setup a proxy to still get onto PSN without updating?

EDIT: Found this, don't see why it wouldn't work.

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-guides-tutorials/psn-firmware-bypass-using-only-ps3-proxy-98033.html

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 8, 2010

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Murodese posted:

I thought Sony nuked the proxy workaround shortly after the OtherOS debacle?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65511

Even easier than the proxy workaround, you just set your DNS to a specific IP. They can't ban you because you're using that IP because that's not proof that you're really doing anything illegal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Keep in mind that's only temporary. Sony blocked it before when it was used for the OtherOS removal firmware and can easily do it again.

Why they didn't do it advance, who knows?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Keep in mind that's only temporary. Sony blocked it before when it was used for the OtherOS removal firmware and can easily do it again.

Why they didn't do it advance, who knows?

Why they haven't come up with some kind of secure handshake for the firmware checks is anybody's guess, but until they do you'll always be able to get around it via either a custom dns or proxy. Afaik there's an updated version of the proxy that works on the newer firmware versions, that particular copy won't necessarily work.

Also worth mentioning is that the PSGroove guys are making a GPL SDK for homebrew (current homebrew is compiled via Sony's SDK, which means you can't distribute anything compiled with it legally). Interesting times ahoy!

Orangepeel
Apr 4, 2006
Is anyone else having problems with their ps3 after the firmware update? I updated my ps3 this afternoon and turned it off and when I turned it on tonight I'm getting noting but a black screen. I bought the ps3 less than 2 weeks ago and it has been working fine till today after the firmware update.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does anyone have any luck with PS2 USB adapters for PS3? I'm looking into using one or two for additional controllers instead of buying more Dualshocks. I didn't know if there was a particular brand that was any good or if games stopped working through this method.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Orangepeel posted:

Is anyone else having problems with their ps3 after the firmware update? I updated my ps3 this afternoon and turned it off and when I turned it on tonight I'm getting noting but a black screen. I bought the ps3 less than 2 weeks ago and it has been working fine till today after the firmware update.

After I updated mine it got stuck while loading a disc game so I had to do a hard shutdown but it has been fine since. My PS3 is a 60gb launch model. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned having problems with the new update and I remember he mentioned having a slim.

To try to help, have you tried resesting your PS3's video output by holding down the power button while turning it on?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Murodese posted:

Why they haven't come up with some kind of secure handshake for the firmware checks is anybody's guess, but until they do you'll always be able to get around it via either a custom dns or proxy. Afaik there's an updated version of the proxy that works on the newer firmware versions, that particular copy won't necessarily work.
They do have a secure handshake, they just forgot (or are incredibly lazy) to bump up the required version for login -- it's currently set to <=3.41 (my guess: 3.21, which was the last time we saw this trick blocked).

Murodese posted:

Also worth mentioning is that the PSGroove guys are making a GPL SDK for homebrew (current homebrew is compiled via Sony's SDK, which means you can't distribute anything compiled with it legally). Interesting times ahoy!
Not the PSGroove guys specifically, but yeah, can't wait for something functional. :)

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

gibbed posted:

They do have a secure handshake, they just forgot (or are incredibly lazy) to bump up the required version for login -- it's currently set to <=3.41 (my guess: 3.21, which was the last time we saw this trick blocked).

They might be trying to find out exactly how much of their userbase is circumventing the update, which is basically people who are using the Jailbreak/thinking of using it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Apparently the PCSX2 guy is getting to work already on a PS2 emulator AND a Dreamcast emulator. I'll say no more since some people are going to start crying about piracy or whatever.

Daaaaaaamn. I'll say it right now, a PS3 with full backwards compatability (PS1 and PS2) along with Dreamcast emulation, and the standard SNES/MegaDrive/MAME support you see with this kinda stuff would be the best console in the history of mankind :colbert:

What's interesting though is that whilst poking around the PS3s registry files or whatever, some people have found the PS2 emulation stuff along with PSP emulation too, which is really exciting because I'd much rather play my PSP games on a TV instead of that tiny little screen with awkward controls. I'm sure it's mainly there for people wanting to play PSP Minis on their PS3s (a standard feature) but if it ended up being a way to play proper PSP games on the PS3 then wahey :D

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

What's interesting though is that whilst poking around the PS3s registry files or whatever, some people have found the PS2 emulation stuff along with PSP emulation too, which is really exciting because I'd much rather play my PSP games on a TV instead of that tiny little screen with awkward controls. I'm sure it's mainly there for people wanting to play PSP Minis on their PS3s (a standard feature) but if it ended up being a way to play proper PSP games on the PS3 then wahey :D
The PSP stuff may only support PSP minis, but yes, it's very interesting.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

MUFFlNS posted:

What's interesting though is that whilst poking around the PS3s registry files or whatever, some people have found the PS2 emulation stuff

I'm not surprised to hear this. PS3 systems with no PS2 support can still create virtual PS2 memory cards. Why would that option still be allowed if they can't play PS2 games?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh, I think it's more likely they never ditched that just to keep data transferring simple. If they removed it they would need to change the backup tool.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Eh, I think it's more likely they never ditched that just to keep data transferring simple. If they removed it they would need to change the backup tool.

Yeah, it's an OS-level feature that doesn't require any specific hardware to work. Why bother taking it out, especially when you're supporting the transferral of data between a BC system and one that isn't?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

teekun posted:

Yeah, it's an OS-level feature that doesn't require any specific hardware to work. Why bother taking it out, especially when you're supporting the transferral of data between a BC system and one that isn't?

Well the current conspiracy theory is to sell HD remixes.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Yechezkel posted:

I'm not surprised to hear this. PS3 systems with no PS2 support can still create virtual PS2 memory cards. Why would that option still be allowed if they can't play PS2 games?

back up ps2 memory cards. or as a converter for digitzing(?) your ps2 saves, since you can copy ps2->ps3 as a virtual memorycard, then copy the virtual file thumb drive or something, to put on pc.

I have way more than 16megs of ps2 game save data, so I love this.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well the current conspiracy theory is to sell HD remixes.

Why would a downloadable HD game hook into the PS2 memory card system? Any game they re-code to render in HD is also going to be wrapped to use PS3 game saves like God of War 1+2 did.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Backwards compatibility? If you have savegames from your PS2 or something. Who knows :)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

gibbed posted:

The PSP stuff may only support PSP minis, but yes, it's very interesting.

Hopefully it's a port of Sony's official windows emulator, but I doubt it is. That'd be cool though :3:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Leaving the function in minimizes effort for stuff like the backup tool and regression testing. I've said it before: if Sony had functional software PS2 emulation ready to go they would have fired that magic bullet long ago.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

MUFFINS posted:

What's interesting though is that whilst poking around the PS3s registry files or whatever, some people have found the PS2 emulation stuff

Couldn't this just be off one of the software BC PS3s? Like the 80GB MGS4 packs. If it isn't, then Sony's decision to remove the function isn't really immoral at all, they just removed some value from the system so as to cut the price/make up for the lower cost with higher PS2 sales.

• Locked thread