Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

A Nice Boy posted:

You may want to read BSC...Some HUGE poo poo happens to Shivers which changes his character quite a lot, and he's in The Heroes, too. So if you've read the original trilogy, post BSC Shivers is going to be really weird to you.

Yeah, read BSC first. You advance copy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Mmmmm.

I haven't actually read 'Best Served Cold' yet, but I think I'm going to read this first anyway.

I know it says not for sale, but seriously, how much do you want? (after you're done)

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I am prepared to offer a very large number of lemoncakes for one of those ARCs...

Edit: Aw poo poo, neither of the guys who posted about them even has a WILDCARDS tag. WTF?

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
So, just to clarify is Shenkt in any of the first trilogy at all? I figure that's probably not his real name, especially given the interlude with Vitari, but I wasn't sure. I want more backstory, he's badass.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

eyebrow posted:

So, just to clarify is Shenkt in any of the first trilogy at all? I figure that's probably not his real name, especially given the interlude with Vitari, but I wasn't sure. I want more backstory, he's badass.

Nope, it doesn't seem so.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I am sat here with BSC on the chair next to me. I thought "I wonder if any goons like Abercrombie's stuff?" And then I found this thread.

My dad (he's a 60 year old retired headmaster) got me into Abercrombie about a year ago. "Read this trilogy here, I know you don't like fantasy but give it a go, it's a bit different."

I bloody loved every single page.

What's also great is that Joe is happy to chat to you through Facebook, exchange emails etc, just a really nice guy.

And I'd definitely go gay for him

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well, I finished 'The Heroes', and I have to say I liked it more than 'The First Law', which I liked quite a lot. I can't think of anything more to say about it that doesn't involve spoilers but if anyone wants some then ask away.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Unkempt posted:

Well, I finished 'The Heroes', and I have to say I liked it more than 'The First Law', which I liked quite a lot. I can't think of anything more to say about it that doesn't involve spoilers but if anyone wants some then ask away.

Just a yes or no on this will suffice.

Does Logen show up?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

Just a yes or no on this will suffice.

Does Logen show up?

His name gets thrown around a lot but no.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Unkempt posted:

His name gets thrown around a lot but no.

Well, that sucks a donkey dick. :mad:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hughmoris posted:

Well, that sucks a donkey dick. :mad:

I'm rather glad. Either he gets his own book or we never see him again would be the two options I'd like to see for him. I don't think being a side character in a book would the rest of his story justice.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Decius posted:

I'm rather glad. Either he gets his own book or we never see him again would be the two options I'd like to see for him. I don't think being a side character in a book would the rest of his story justice.

If it turns out to be number two, then Abercrombie can go gently caress himself.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Skellen posted:

If it turns out to be number two, then Abercrombie can go gently caress himself.

I seriously doubt he would have ended that storyline so ambiguously if it was the last we were going to see of that character. Leaving things in doubt isn't really something he does much, if at all.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Logen had a fantastic arc that pretty much encompassed everything you needed to know about him except: "Who is his dad" and maybe a clearer explanation of his berserking.

That and the way the ending mirrored how we met him, I mean, that's pretty much a goodbye, with a very Abercrombian shrug of "sometimes you live through a big fall. More often you don't."

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Logen had a fantastic arc that pretty much encompassed everything you needed to know about him except: "Who is his dad" and maybe a clearer explanation of his berserking.

That and the way the ending mirrored how we met him, I mean, that's pretty much a goodbye, with a very Abercrombian shrug of "sometimes you live through a big fall. More often you don't."

You have to be realistic

I kid, I kid, I'd love to see more of Logen.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
Well, well! Look what arrived today!

Along with this note from his editor...

Ha ha. Now I am cool, too! Right guys? RIGHT?!

Just opened the prologue. It is great.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Hating you right now.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Evfedu posted:

That last line of yours definitely helps me figure out exactly what was happening with the ending. Great point. And now I feel happy and satisfied with the trilogy all over again.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't have much knowledge of the literary world but how do you assholes get these advance copies?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Hughmoris posted:

I don't have much knowledge of the literary world but how do you assholes get these advance copies?

I was getting excited thinking all these posts meant it was coming out soon! Then I checked, not till February 7. :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dryb posted:

I was getting excited thinking all these posts meant it was coming out soon! Then I checked, not till February 7. :(
Seriously, I haven't been cock-teased this bad since prom night.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

We share a publisher.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

anathenema posted:

We share a publisher.

I don't, my girlfriend just runs the SF department of a largish bookshop. There are a couple of copies on EBay (not mine) if anyone wants one that bad.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1312&_nkw=abercrombie+heroes&_sacat=See-All-Categories

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Unkempt posted:

I don't, my girlfriend just runs the SF department of a largish bookshop. There are a couple of copies on EBay (not mine) if anyone wants one that bad.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1312&_nkw=abercrombie+heroes&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Independent? British?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

anathenema posted:

Independent? British?

No, Yes. A branch of Waterstone's. They're getting a lot better for allowing individual stores to do their own ordering etc. these days.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Is this a spoiler from the first four books or The Heroes? I want to read it but don't know if I should. :(

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is this a spoiler from the first four books or The Heroes? I want to read it but don't know if I should. :(

The post you quoted is about the ending of The First Law trilogy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just started The Blade Itself and I have got to say the writing is excellent! Jesus I've never been so pleased with an author's writing in fantasy fiction before. Off to lose a few more hours of sleep.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The writing only improves from there. I loved The Blade Itself at the time but the first half of the book, on re-read, is lacking the tightness of what Abercrombie writes later.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I just found out Abercrombie is going to be at New York Comic Con this weekend and I'm pretty excited because I was already planning on attending. I want to bring Best Served Cold for him to sign but I can't find the dust jacket anywhere. Is it tacky if I show up with a hardcover book without the cover at the signing? I don't think my paperbacks of the trilogy are in good enough condition to have him sign either.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I never take dust jackets to signings, especially when the signing is at a convention - it's likely the jacket will get hosed up somehow before the end of the day. The only downside to not having the dust jacket is that if you're carrying the book in your hands all day, it's probably going to get kind some smudges on it from your filthy hands. So, you know, take a book bag.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Oh okay, cool. Thanks. I've never gotten a book signed before so I didn't know what was appropriate.

edit: I'm going to thank him for writing fantasy that I don't have to be embarrassed to say I read.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
On Abercrombie's dust jackets, his bio says that he edits video for Iron Maiden and other bands. I'd love it if Maiden would do a song about his series like they did for Dune.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

On Abercrombie's dust jackets, his bio says that he edits video for Iron Maiden and other bands. I'd love it if Maiden would do a song about his series like they did for Dune.

"Bloody Nine" Would be the most metal song ever. :black101:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'd like to hear a song about Cosca and how great he is.

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid

Mr.48 posted:

"Bloody Nine" Would be the most metal song ever. :black101:

There's already a song that pretty much covers him... sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MhYBGzcNMQ

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

sarsbar posted:

There's already a song that pretty much covers him... sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MhYBGzcNMQ

Haha, I've listened to that song a ton and I've never thought of Logen before.

Now I always will and it will be better for it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

KidDynamite posted:

I just started The Blade Itself and I have got to say the writing is excellent! Jesus I've never been so pleased with an author's writing in fantasy fiction before. Off to lose a few more hours of sleep.

You just wait for the sex scenes. Those will blow your mind!

:suicide:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am a big fan of ASOIAF, but I don't read much other fantasy (well at least since high school). That said after reading the first couple of pages of this thread I just ordered the first book and I am looking forward to it. Sounds just like my cup of tea. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Burned through First Law in about four days, just starting up with BSC now. About the short story: I don't have any interest in buying the anthology it comes packaged along with, so is there any other way to get my hands on it? I don't have a Kindle or iPad or anything, for what difference that makes. I'm happy to pay, I just don't often find myself a fan of fantasy and would rather not slog through (and put dollar down for) a whole collection of it for one story I'm interested in.

Also, if that untagged spoiler about Shivers on the first page of the thread is true, I'm gonna be really full of impotent rage at the internet in about a day or two.