Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

soru posted:

The Would You Rather from the CDR episode with Robb Corddry, Lake Bell, and the Cake Boss is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

That whole episode was magical. Even before the Would You Rather segment I was laughing my rear end off at the "Cake Boss" going on about how he had been bitten by a cake scarab and could communicate with the dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Cake Boss' attention to detail in that would you rather was incredible. I loved the "WHY DO I DO IT?!" when Scott told him he calls Batman every night to gloat about beating his record, and the fact that Batman wouldn't even know if not for the phone calls. Also his wondering if he'd ever find true love as the tippy-toed gold-brained balsa wood plane was almost too sweet to be funny.

I hope the Cake Boss makes an appearance on the Pod F. Tompkast soon.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I loving hate Little Gary but I have to admit I was laughing hysterically at his song "I'm a guy, I'm not food" and am planning to cut it into a standalone mp3 song if it hasn't been done already (?)

Also, I was behind in episodes and a little late to the party, but the "Comedy and Everything Else" episode featuring the Dr. Laura debacle was both hilarious and poignant. Even though I guess I'd be considered a liberal, Jimmy Dore can be WAY too liberal sometimes. Seems like he's getting his poo poo together now after his disillusionment with Obama.

Maybe I've mentioned it before here, but "Gay Pimpin' with Johnny McGovern" is staging a comeback. It's not for everybody, and I'm not even gay, but if you live in a major city and hang out with fags at all you'll laugh your rear end off.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!
Doug really needs to find another place to do his podcast that won't limit him so much on time, that's were the frustration is really coming from.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Godspell posted:

Doug really needs to find another place to do his podcast that won't limit him so much on time, that's were the frustration is really coming from.

the UCB theater must have an opening on like a Wednesday night. I'm sure there's enough DLM fans that would come to like an 11:00 show. Or maybe an afternoon show. There just has to be space somewhere for him to have a two hour Leonard Maltin super-tournament :allears:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Time to get low brow conversational all up in here:

After Hours with Heidi and Frank

Frosty, Heidi, and Frank is a morning talk show that airs is southern California--for a while it was on 97.1 FM, but it now currently airs on some AM station. I used to listen to the show on my walks home from school, and enjoyed the co-hosts' chemistry and general sense of humor (they are, admittedly, pretty drat stupid sometimes, but I find it endearing. Or something like that).

After they left 97.1, they had a podcast called Frosty, Heidi, and Frank Uncensored, which I really liked, but all episodes have been taken off of their official website since joining the AM station. If you can find them, I would recommend listening to them.

They are now doing a podcast without Frosty (the punching bag of the group, and a source of some of the best jokes and radio moments)--I'm not exactly sure why. I haven't listened to many episodes of the current podcast, but they've had guests on all but one that I've heard. I would recommend listening to the latest one (34) or 30 for a good sense of what they're like.

What I've heard of the first episode seemed pretty boring, and there are one or two episodes in the 20s that might be skippable--one had a boring guest, and the other involved audio issues of some sort (they mentioned it in another episode, I haven't actually heard it).

If you like them, here are an assload of episodes from the FM broadcast: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows

Edit: Even more episodes: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows_part2

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2010

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Time to get low brow conversational all up in here:

After Hours with Heidi and Frank

Frosty, Heidi, and Frank is a morning talk show that airs is southern California--for a while it was on 97.1 FM, but it now currently airs on some AM station. I used to listened to the show on my walks home from school, and enjoyed the co-hosts' chemistry and general sense of humor (they are, admittedly, pretty drat stupid sometimes, but I find it endearing. Or something like that).

After they left 97.1, they had a podcast called Frosty, Heidi, and Frank Uncensored, which I really liked, but all episodes have been taken off of their official website since joining the AM station. If you can find them, I would recommend listening to them.

They are now doing a podcast without Frosty (the punching bag of the group, and a source of some of the best jokes and radio moments)--I'm not exactly sure why. I haven't listened to many episodes of the current podcast, but they've had guests on all but one that I've heard. I would recommend listening to the latest one (34) or 30 for a good sense of what they're like.

What I've heard of the first episode seemed pretty boring, and there are one or two episodes in the 20s that might be skippable--one had a boring guest, and the other involved audio issues of some sort (they mentioned it in another episode, I haven't actually heard it).

If you like them, here are an assload of episodes from the FM broadcast: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows

Edit: Even more episodes: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows_part2

I actually used to listen to them quite a bit on 97.1, but then they kind of just disappeared. I remember they were pretty fun, and silly. I liked that about them. You're right about them being pretty stupid at times, but they always seemed like they were having a great time.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Also, I was behind in episodes and a little late to the party, but the "Comedy and Everything Else" episode featuring the Dr. Laura debacle was both hilarious and poignant. Even though I guess I'd be considered a liberal, Jimmy Dore can be WAY too liberal sometimes. Seems like he's getting his poo poo together now after his disillusionment with Obama.

Was that the episode where they blasted Dr. Laura for using the n-word and how horribly offensive it was, and then just a few minutes later praising George Carlin for how right he was about the 7 dirty words and how words really can't be offensive? Or something like that.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Only seen one person mention this... :nws:Nobody Likes Onions:nws:. Very offensive in almost every way you can think of. Anti-Gay, Anti-Women, Racist and everything else. Please understand this before listening and hating me.

Great fan base and like 3 shows per week.

One of my fav episodes: EP098: Feel The Rain (Very Long)

Now sure how much you would like it if you haven't listened to other stuff but ya. I would also say listen to a few shows before the current show and then the current shows (I haven't listened in a few weeks though).

My work system catches the URL so thats why the :nws:. The Podcast is also Un-censored so prob use earphones that cannot be heard by co-workers.

Good things:
Current Events
Local Comedians come on the show
They take fan calls
They all got Free Dick Mold kits from Adam and Eve and auctioned off their molds
"Is it Gay" (Someone calls in and describes a situation they were in and asks for advice if they are/were gay)

MasterColin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 10, 2010

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
So.. what is actually good about that podcast? You didn't list anything.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

MasterColin posted:

Only seen one person mention this... :nws:Nobody Likes Onions:nws:. Very offensive in almost every way you can think of. Anti-Gay, Anti-Women, Racist and everything else. Please understand this before listening and hating me.

What an insanely long intro which will turn off almost everyone. 3 minutes of nonsense before they get to the show... After listening to it for a while I've decided it's not for me. Its like a morning zoo in search of a radio station. AND ITS 2 HOURS LONG!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Relevant Morning Zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125vQUZZvKs

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I realize now that I didn't really give much information about the show (as well as the fact that I typed the phrase "I used to listened"):negative:, so here are some general points:

All hosts are from small town Indiana. On their radio show and in their podcast, they discuss news stories and their lives, building on subjects tangentially. They are, as the poster above me mentioned, silly as hell, and rarely take any subject seriously.

Heidi is a recently self-outed lesbian in a relationship with a woman who was, until recently, referred to as the Italian. She has a freakish laugh and has some muscle on her=lesbian jokes at her expense. She gives the "woman's view" on things, and chimes in when LGBQT issues are brought up. She also has bizarre things happen to her quite frequently (the Korean massage story in episode 30 is amazing).

Frank is an attractive guy who can't handle his alcohol. He is in a relationship with a woman referred to as "Farty" (it's suggested that she does little around the house and is in a constant state of frumpiness), and he has a young daughter. He has the most "jerkish" sense of humor (teasing for laughs). He studied geological science before becoming a radio personality, and co-hosted a show with Frosty years before they joined with Heidi. It is known that Frosty and Frank hated their previous co-host.

Smeez is one of the more recent co-hosts of the podcast--he stars in an online sitcom produced by Frank. He seems like a pretty average young guy, but he has some interesting stories to tell (his most recent described his friend getting out of jury duty by 'subtly' pretending to believe in the world of Harry Potter.)

Frosty (not on the podcast) is a socially inept musician who struggles with his weight. On the radio show, he offered fairly unpopular views on things, skewed towards being friendly and non-confrontational. One of my favorite moments involved him describing how he accidentally walked all over fresh cement in his neighbor's driveway (thinking that old open house signs were telling him to go in, when they were really being used to block off the driveway), and then did nothing about it, and pretended it wasn't him. He only has one close friend aside from Heidi and Frank, who has since moved to Canada--a musician named Wade.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

bananasinpajamas posted:

Was that the episode where they blasted Dr. Laura for using the n-word and how horribly offensive it was, and then just a few minutes later praising George Carlin for how right he was about the 7 dirty words and how words really can't be offensive? Or something like that.

If you're saying what I think you're saying then yes, but I do feel like she was WAY out of line. None of Carlin's seven words are "friend of the family". While I see the fallacy of Dore's ramblings I really hope you're not defending Dr. Laura's meltdown.

Actually, you could remove that word from her discourse and it would still be wildly ignorant. She even managed to twist her own hosed train of logic onto itself to the point where she literally said "I though in this day and age that demonizing whites who hate blacks had stopped". Jesus Christ, or the whole "If you don't like it don't marry outside of your race" poo poo. Her saying "friend of the family" however many times was the least offensive part of her tirade.

I feel like an idiot for going on about it, but this woman commanded an audience at least approaching a Dr. Phil or Glen Beck only you hardly hear about the poo poo she's spewing until it's over the top.

Please excuse my weird digression and/or derailment, but that poo poo made my head explode.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Phone posted:

Relevant Morning Zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125vQUZZvKs

Best Morning Zoo

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

King Lou posted:

What an insanely long intro which will turn off almost everyone. 3 minutes of nonsense before they get to the show... After listening to it for a while I've decided it's not for me. Its like a morning zoo in search of a radio station. AND ITS 2 HOURS LONG!

One thing I will say damages them is the ability for new listeners to feel like they know the show. It takes some time. Once you know the backgrounds of the hosts and the inside jokes and all, it is really a funny show. This being said, it is possible to just start at the latest episode and try to get into it. I started around ep 200 or so and then went back later and listened to some older ones. Only after I enjoyed the new stuff.

Shows now are limited to 1hr and they have learned not to do some of the annoying stuff they used to do.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying then yes, but I do feel like she was WAY out of line. None of Carlin's seven words are "friend of the family". While I see the fallacy of Dore's ramblings I really hope you're not defending Dr. Laura's meltdown.

Actually, you could remove that word from her discourse and it would still be wildly ignorant. She even managed to twist her own hosed train of logic onto itself to the point where she literally said "I though in this day and age that demonizing whites who hate blacks had stopped". Jesus Christ, or the whole "If you don't like it don't marry outside of your race" poo poo. Her saying "friend of the family" however many times was the least offensive part of her tirade.

I feel like an idiot for going on about it, but this woman commanded an audience at least approaching a Dr. Phil or Glen Beck only you hardly hear about the poo poo she's spewing until it's over the top.

Please excuse my weird digression and/or derailment, but that poo poo made my head explode.

I agree with what you're saying, but Dore really comes off as a hypocrite. I mean, just a few weeks ago he was on Never Not Funny, and there was a REAL long argument about using "n-word" and "human being" and all that. He just wanted a good excuse to blast Dr. Laura, which I've no problem with.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

goldrush posted:

That whole episode was magical. Even before the Would You Rather segment I was laughing my rear end off at the "Cake Boss" going on about how he had been bitten by a cake scarab and could communicate with the dead
At the beginning of that segment he talked about building a cake with R2D2 and C3PO playing pool and then R2D2 came alive because they used too much cinnamon was impossibly hilarious.

Which is the episode where John Hamm and PFT as John C. Reilly have the acting contest?

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Which is the episode where John Hamm and PFT as John C. Reilly have the acting contest?

Episode 34, around 44 minutes.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
My iTunes is downloading podcasts right now, and I see there's a new Tell 'Em Steve Dave. That is 3 hours 40 minutes long, presumably the last installment of agonizing analysis and arguing over the Houston show.

I like the fact that podcasts can be flexible with time--they don't have to hit a precise 30 minute or 60 minute limit, but I think 220 minutes is kind of ridiculous, especially on such a pointless topic. But I'll probably listen to the whole thing later this afternoon...

Also: Some faith is restored in Adam Carolla after the Donal Logue episode. It was a return to the interview format of the older podcasts, and it kept more of the focus on the guest rather than Adam's rants.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Episode 34, around 44 minutes.
I just listened to a man impersonate John C. Reilly for a half an hour. I didn't even think that was possible. Paul F. Tompkins is some kind of wunderkind.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

benito posted:

My iTunes is downloading podcasts right now, and I see there's a new Tell 'Em Steve Dave. That is 3 hours 40 minutes long, presumably the last installment of agonizing analysis and arguing over the Houston show.

I like the fact that podcasts can be flexible with time--they don't have to hit a precise 30 minute or 60 minute limit, but I think 220 minutes is kind of ridiculous, especially on such a pointless topic. But I'll probably listen to the whole thing later this afternoon...

The last hour of the podcast is the actual Houston show.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm not liking the actual musicians on CDR. Aukerman isn't funny enough and PFT isn't given enough time to be funny.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Meh, I just skip them. I'm one of a few who giggles at Aukerman's dumb poo poo. :)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

NecronSchmecron posted:

Meh, I just skip them. I'm one of a few who giggles at Aukerman's dumb poo poo. :)

I don't know how anyone can't giggle at aukerman's dumb poo poo. He is so silly, and makes me laugh.

Also Ted Leo, and Loch and Key are awesome.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
There are a lot of times I wish Aukerman would just shut up and let everyone else be funny but he nails a few jokes here and there.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Rob posted:

I don't know how anyone can't giggle at aukerman's dumb poo poo. He is so silly, and makes me laugh.

Also Ted Leo, and Loch and Key are awesome.

Ted Leo turned me gay, then Shara Worden turned me back.

I actually just rehosted the newest CDR, so it is my own now and I want to share it vith zee vorld!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The_Rob posted:

He had some great gems on this weeks DLM.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Strange Matter posted:

I just listened to a man impersonate John C. Reilly for a half an hour. I didn't even think that was possible. Paul F. Tompkins is some kind of wunderkind.

PFT can be pretty brilliant. I like the Cake Boss and the John C. Reilly impersonations. But he can also be very irritating at times. For example, the latest Comedy Death Ray. I hate that loving French character he does - Mr. Brainwash or something like that? Just not feeling that one...

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

goldrush posted:

PFT can be pretty brilliant. I like the Cake Boss and the John C. Reilly impersonations. But he can also be very irritating at times. For example, the latest Comedy Death Ray. I hate that loving French character he does - Mr. Brainwash or something like that? Just not feeling that one...

It's a littler funnier if you've ever seen the documentary Exit Through The Gift Shop (which you should).

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Holy poo poo. I just found a Merill Shindler video. James Adomians Impression is absolutely spot on.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I'd like to recommend one of my favorite podcasts: The Complete Guide to Everything
It's two guys, Tim and Tom, talking about a different subject every week. They're often off subject too, which is when Tim starts ranting about something that posses him off. I haven't seen anyone else talk about TCGTE on this thread so assume it's somewhat obscure, so please give it a chance. The first episodes are kinda off, so don't judge the show based off on those. If you like UYD, you'll probably like TCGTE too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

soru posted:

It's a littler funnier if you've ever seen the documentary Exit Through The Gift Shop (which you should).

Hah, that's it! I watched Exit the other night, and couldn't remember where I'd just heard 'Mr. Brainwash'. We're talking about less than a week here, drat.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So am I just a terrible person with no taste or are the amount of comedy songs in Comedy Death Ray really annoying? I've never really been a fan of those. I really like everything else about the podcast though.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WoG posted:

Hah, that's it! I watched Exit the other night, and couldn't remember where I'd just heard 'Mr. Brainwash'. We're talking about less than a week here, drat.

Rumor goes that the whole documentary was a work to see how people would react to Banksy's art if they thought it was from a guy with a known identity who was "inspired" by Banksy.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Flamazot posted:

So am I just a terrible person with no taste or are the amount of comedy songs in Comedy Death Ray really annoying? I've never really been a fan of those. I really like everything else about the podcast though.

I feel this way about Risk!, too.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Flamazot posted:

Right there with you. I hate the songs. One night I was laying in bed listening to an episode and some song came on with soft guitar and some retard singing about something retarded then at the end of the song, louder than anything previously coming from my speakers, he started just SCREAMING for like 15 seconds and of course as soon as I got up and close enough to lower the volume he stopped.

Sometimes they play Tenacious D or something and that's cool but the amateur poo poo sucks.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
They have to pay certain artists and labels to play their music for the most part, so thats why they are playing what they do during CDR.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I usually don't care for the songs either, but that is why I just fast forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I actually really dug Loch and Key.

• Locked thread