Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

It seemed like a bit much that he ended up appearing in a location from the first game, but eh, a good video overall.

I find it interesting that while people find the glitches plausible, the game suddenly kicking into Ocarina of Time isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Lone Rogue posted:

I find it interesting that while people find the glitches plausible, the game suddenly kicking into Ocarina of Time isn't.

It's because up until this point, part of the creepiness was that all the creepy glitches were being done with assets from Majora's Mask. The dialog and music and everything were all things that are in the game, just being remixed in a creepy way. So it kinda breaks with that to have a location from Ocarina of Time thrown in, because now it's just like the ghost can do whatever the gently caress and isn't using the game assets at all.

It seemed similar to (though much more mild than) that Super Mario 64 creepypasta where suddenly there's this photorealistic drawing of Mario and an image of the player's family and stuff. It's just creepier when this stuff is all in-cart for some reason.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rocketlex posted:

It's because up until this point, part of the creepiness was that all the creepy glitches were being done with assets from Majora's Mask. The dialog and music and everything were all things that are in the game, just being remixed in a creepy way. So it kinda breaks with that to have a location from Ocarina of Time thrown in, because now it's just like the ghost can do whatever the gently caress and isn't using the game assets at all.

It seemed similar to (though much more mild than) that Super Mario 64 creepypasta where suddenly there's this photorealistic drawing of Mario and an image of the player's family and stuff. It's just creepier when this stuff is all in-cart for some reason.

Rocketlex nailed it. As an aside, I'd now love to see a playable rom hack of some game (possibly Majora, although any well-loved classic will do) that purports to be a dump of a possessed cartridge. Add in all the creepiness, let the player figure out backstory on their own, so on and so forth. This would be a great game if done well.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Szmitten posted:

Oh hey, part 3 of the Majora story is done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48QdVhCBfQ

No screencap of 4Chan since it's all in the Youtube description.

Well? Where's my scaredy-cat explanation for me? :v:

Selma_Alabama
Sep 9, 2010
There are some hacked ROMs of various Pokémon creepypastas out there. (May be old, sorry)

Here's a link to someone's Pokémon Lost Silver project: http://tohjo.totalh.com/index.php?cmd=page/lostsilver

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lone Rogue posted:

You know, I honestly wasn't that big of a fan of Majora's Mask and maybe only put 40-50 hours in it unlike some people I've heard putting 500-600 in their lifetime. That said, those videos still were fantastic to me and I can only wonder what it would do to a real hardcore fan.

You have a weird sense of time. 40-50 hours is quite a bit.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Stop being an attention whore. It's a video. Just watch it.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Edit: i'm a moron >_<

21stCentury fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 10, 2010

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's not scary at all. None of it is.

Creepy sure. Scary nah.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

RagnarokAngel posted:

Stop being an attention whore. It's a video. Just watch it.

Sorry that the fact that I'm easily scared and get freaked out by glitches makes you angry. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Throughout the mid-late 80s, I'd occasionally hear "they're still making Atari 2600 games!" I scoffed at these obvious lies since I never saw any for sale, or read about them in game magazines.
By the time the internet and emulation rolled around, I was pretty amazed at how many such games were made, and that the last one was in 1990.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Sorry that the fact that I'm easily scared and get freaked out by glitches makes you angry. :(

WATCH THE loving VIDEO YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo OR I'M GONNA TURN YOUR LIFE INTO A GLITCH :argh:

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Barudak posted:

Glitter came out on 9/10 and the world was never the same.

As for MGS2, Arsenal plowed through most of Manhattan to reach federal hall. Originally, you were going to see it flatten most of Manhattan's iconic skyline, but post 9/11 that was dropped.

Holy hell, I'm not 100% sure but I think my MGS2 had that scene where Arsenal crashes to the shore. It's some sort of deluxe-edition with extra DVD with making-of and so on. I have to check it out, this has been bothering me for couple days.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Oh, oh...

He loads up the DROWNED save file and it puts him at the very start of the game, only without the opening cutscene. The first area plays more or less the same, only with slightly glitched sound effects.

However, when he reaches the point where the Skull Kid turns him into a Deku Skrub, the game starts glitching out a bunch. Link doesn't turn into a Deku Skrub but rather stays as Link but with the scrub's animations. This doesn't last long, though, as eventually the cutscene just freezes and the "play a song" prompt pops up. He plays the Elegy of Emptiness. (According to the description, people had suggested he try this.) The screen abruptly goes black.

A text appears over the darkness saying "You shouldn't have done that."

Things get glitchy again, and once again Link is warping to all sorts of locations whenever he tries to use a door or exit. However, this time, every time a text box appears it just says "You shouldn't have done that." Also, in a bit that totally ruined some of the atmosphere for me, one of the places he appears in is the Happy Mask Shop from Ocarina of Time (sans the shop owner). MY IMMERSION!

Anyway, after a bunch of this nonsense a new text box shows up saying "BEN is getting lonely." Link appears at that giant tree thing from the end of the game. He walks towards it, the Elegy of Emptiness statue shows up, more glitching, and we're back at the title screen. A text box says "You will be given one last chance." and then "Come play with us."

And now, it appears the guy's old save file (the one called "Link") is back.

That's the video. Here's a summary of the attached description.

HE WAS SO SCARED! THIS IS SO loving SCARY! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON! OH MY loving GOD! HE'S JUST A KID! HE'S TOO YOUNG TO DIE! BEN IS EVERYWHERE AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Naw it's not anger, it's just when people cheat themselves out of an entertaining experience that's really harmless. What exactly are you afraid of that's pretty much my key point I guess. It's like the amnesia thread full of people like "OH GOD THIS IS THE SCARIEST GAME EVER I CANT FINISH IT". The point of fear in a setting where you cannot be harmed is that the rush is quite pleasurable once you accept it. What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 10, 2010

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

What exactly are you afraid of that's pretty much my key point I guess. It's like the amnesia thread full of people like "OH GOD THIS IS THE SCARIEST GAME EVER I CANT FINISH IT". The point of fear in a setting where you cannot be harmed is that the rush is quite pleasurable once you accept it. What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?

You might get so scared that you will have a heart attack and die, lord knows the heart of the average 22 year old SA browser is just waiting to give way at the soonest possible moment.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

What exactly are you afraid of that's pretty much my key point I guess. It's like the amnesia thread full of people like "OH GOD THIS IS THE SCARIEST GAME EVER I CANT FINISH IT". The point of fear in a setting where you cannot be harmed is that the rush is quite pleasurable once you accept it. What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?

There's a whole group of people on the forum that instinctively shits themselves inside out anytime someone mentions the word "slenderman". Moronic "spoOoOoOoOoOoky" stuff is like their kryptonite.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

There's a whole group of people on the forum that instinctively shits themselves inside out anytime someone mentions the word "slenderman". Moronic "spoOoOoOoOoOoky" stuff is like their kryptonite.

I get that it's just kinda my hope these kinds of people get over themselves and enjoy it rather than asking for the cliffnotes version. Horror generally isn't very good storytelling, though it can be. Horror is about atmosphere, if you don't feel the fear you cheat yourself out of what makes it great. I guess that makes me a little angry v:shobon:v

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?

Uh, hello? The video in The Ring was only like 1 minute so this is 6 times as deadly.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

RagnarokAngel posted:

I get that it's just kinda my hope these kinds of people get over themselves and enjoy it rather than asking for the cliffnotes version. Horror generally isn't very good storytelling, though it can be. Horror is about atmosphere, if you don't feel the fear you cheat yourself out of what makes it great. I guess that makes me a little angry v:shobon:v

Whatever. I just enjoy writing these little summaries.

That said, I'm not finding this particularly scary. I'd say I'm almost too impressed by it to be scared. I can't focus on the ghostiness because I'm too busy saying "Oh cool, how did he do that?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

.TakaM posted:

We goons should make one of these haunted games where it starts out normal but at some third wall breaking instance all the creepy possessed type poo poo starts.
I think it would be a genuinely interesting and entertaining experience that you have to learn to interact with it on a completely different level from what any typical game uses.

There was that game Majestic, which was like an ARG in that playing it involved receiving mysterious emails, IMs, phone calls, and faxes in real life.

*fourth wall

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

There was that game Majestic, which was like an ARG in that playing it involved receiving mysterious emails, IMs, phone calls, and faxes in real life.

*fourth wall

Looked it up...why doesn't this exist anymore it sounds awesome :(

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

*fourth wall

Just read about this, pretty crazy concept, did it suck or something? Why did this never really catch on?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

Just read about this, pretty crazy concept, did it suck or something? Why did this never really catch on?

Tomorrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SheepNameKiller posted:

It didn't suck, it was AMAZING and wish they'd do it again. Especially things like when the "game" would call and my girlfriend answered and legitimately freaked out.

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

I always thought the actual commercials for Majora's Mask were pretty creepy, or just really felt "off" for what is always a story about an elf kid saving the princess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Mf2mp6fms

I wish I wasn't a stupid kid and understood how good this game was and how these commercials were perfect for it. "Time limit? Eff that Ess!"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

Oh god now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight! :gonk:

The third video seems the weakest, most of it is just the opening cutscene with almost nothing changed and going to OoT places feels like its breaks the story's own "rules".

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Rocketlex posted:

It's because "urban legend" type stories are scarier and more interesting than obviously paranormal ones. A glitched game with some creepy stuff that might be paranormal is more believable than a glitched game that magically pulls pictures of your family from the ether. And the more believable it is, the greater the possibility that it's actually out there somewhere. I get really turned off when these stories venture into obviously paranormal territory. One of my writing teachers said that the really terrible things don't happen on a dark and stormy night; they happen at 2pm on a Tuesday with the sun shining. Taking a realistic situation and distorting it into something jarring and unexpected, but still within the realm of reasonable possibility, is effective as a method of unsettling the reader, moreso than ghosts in the cartridge that require an extended suspension of disbelief.

I think part of the reason that these stories are interesting is the fact that these kinds of secrets may still exist in games that we've already played to death. It's the perversion of a familiar, scripted medium with something completely alien, unexpected, and undocumented.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

haveblue posted:

*fourth wall

Oh man, I remember beta'ing that game, it was a riot. Getting calls throughout the day from a videogame was an odd feeling.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw it's not anger, it's just when people cheat themselves out of an entertaining experience that's really harmless. What exactly are you afraid of that's pretty much my key point I guess. It's like the amnesia thread full of people like "OH GOD THIS IS THE SCARIEST GAME EVER I CANT FINISH IT". The point of fear in a setting where you cannot be harmed is that the rush is quite pleasurable once you accept it. What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?
You seriously cannot wrap your head around the concept that other people take scary stuff differently from you? Lots of people, myself included, got to the point of feeling actually stressed out by Amnesia and how oppressively afraid of every single little thing it makes you. It's not like anyone's thinking the shadow monsters are going to get them IRL. Scary stuff can make people really scared, and not just thrilled. Obviously this is news to you, the bravest person on earth, the Goon Who Showed No Fear. But other people are, perhaps, different. We're all very wowed by you and your amazing abilities, but not everyone is so closed to the possibility of actually responding in the intended manner to something scary.

Cowcaster posted:

Slenderman is a hyper-adult figure that makes children disappear and fills in the blank of the thing you imagine watching you when you're feeling nervous or scared, how do you not "get" that? Not being effected by it, ok, but the concept is far from just "ooh, spooky"

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 10, 2010

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Marund posted:

Oh man, I remember beta'ing that game, it was a riot. Getting calls throughout the day from a videogame was an odd feeling.

I really think the videogame/ARG thing could be groundbreaking. It's probably niche, but it could use some exploring. And you could get a really creepy storyline out of it - the breaking of the fourth wall can be effective if used properly.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Looked it up...why doesn't this exist anymore it sounds awesome :(

9/11 happened a few weeks before the scheduled release. :mad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That Rough Beast posted:

I really think the videogame/ARG thing could be groundbreaking. It's probably niche, but it could use some exploring. And you could get a really creepy storyline out of it - the breaking of the fourth wall can be effective if used properly.

Tie-in ARGs for movies and games have really taken off, but they have the significant advantage of being free to play (supported by the marketing budget of a much larger property).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gynovore posted:

9/11 happened a few weeks before the scheduled release. :mad:

What does that even mean? Are you implying the game was never released or people didn't play it because of 9/11? Neither are true, it was popular enough that they released a version where all the game websites and events were on a disc because they had abandoned the servers. I assume this means the disc version never called your phone though, which was the best part. IIRC it was somehow "smart" enough to leave a message on an answering machine if a human didn't answer. The one time that happened to me was the freakiest of all.
The only bad thing about the game is that, no matter how fast you figured things out, getting many of the IMs and emails was on a timer, so sometimes you had to wait like a week before anything "new" happened, even if you were "ready" for the new material well before that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

precision posted:

What does that even mean? Are you implying the game was never released or people didn't play it because of 9/11?

Actually I was a bit off... according to Wikipedia, it came out June '01, but EA put the servers on hold after 9/11. They resumed it later, but it never caught on and was killed in '02.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jetsetlemming posted:

Slenderman is a hyper-adult figure that makes children disappear and fills in the blank of the thing you imagine watching you when you're feeling nervous or scared, how do you not "get" that? Not being effected by it, ok, but the concept is far from just "ooh, spooky"

Slendermen reads as a mishmash of a bunch of different standard SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK features to me, it's not really scary. I'm sorry bro, but it sounds like you're just a little scaredy bitch.

I assume I could actually scare you for real and not just surprise you if I ran up to you in a ghost costume and went ooOOOOoooOOOOooo at you.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I won't directly respond to that but I will say that a couple of night ago I went to take out the trash at night, and when I opened my back door there was a big possum out there on the back porch railing, bigger than a cat, just staring at me. Not hissing or acting aggressive or scared or anything. Looked expectant, like I was gonna let him in. Freaked me out a little. I decided to put off taking out the trash till morning.
http://i52.tinypic.com/15qd840.jpg

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 10, 2010

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Jetsetlemming posted:

I won't directly respond to that but I will say that a couple of night ago I went to take out the trash at night, and when I opened my back door there was a big possum out there on the back porch railing, bigger than a cat, just staring at me. Not hissing or acting aggressive or scared or anything. Looked expectant, like I was gonna let him in. Freaked me out a little. I decided to put off taking out the trash till morning.

That is what a possum looks like when it's cordial, or perhaps mildly amused, I can't really tell. A lot of it has to do with body language. You can tell when they get mildly perturbed or annoyed from the number of fingers you have to get sewn back on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mew force shoelace posted:

I don't think anyone on the entire planet didn't try to collect 32 soldiers in final fantasy 7 after misreading the name of the item as "1 out of 32 soldiers" instead of "1/32 scaled soldier". I think the fact that that seemed like a reasonable goal made it that much worse.

I don't think anyone on the planet understood 'someone close to you is in trouble" as referring to anything but shalea in chrono trigger.

You greatly overestimate the number of people who play videogames on the planet, let alone those who care that much about old jRPGs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Wuuuuuuuuuuussss.

I'm posting this while searching the morgue in Batman: Arkham Asylum, too.

Hey, I should probably open up these body bags, see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

People Have Died posted:

I always thought the actual commercials for Majora's Mask were pretty creepy, or just really felt "off" for what is always a story about an elf kid saving the princess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Mf2mp6fms

I wish I wasn't a stupid kid and understood how good this game was and how these commercials were perfect for it. "Time limit? Eff that Ess!"

Never saw those, pretty neat commercials. They have come a long way from their older ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA