Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geera
May 20, 2003
This delay is a huge disappointment. I've been waiting patiently because the Boxee Box's features and "sub-$200" price were pretty attractive to me as someone who doesn't have any kind of media PC currently (and has no interest in building one from scratch).

Hopefully Boxee hears and processes all the frustrated feedback from this announcement and comes up with some way to launch ahead of schedule, if that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mediaphage posted:

You should look into a WD TV unit, then. As far as placement goes, while it is shaped rather bizarrely, it's quite small. Shouldn't be much of an issue sticking it somewhere next to the TV.

Judging by the warning label on the WD TV Live the bizarre shape also helps to stop users placing USB HDDs on top.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Xythar posted:

How well does it support subtitles? My current player technically "supports subtitles" but the actual support is unfortunately pretty loving appalling.

I guess I also wanted Boxee for their apps, does WDTV have anything similar?

It supports them very well. Zero complaints.

The Wdtv is basically a no frills "plays your movie files" solution. No apps, ugly user interface.

Some people have network share issues but I haven't run into any problems.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Have you tried just normal subtitles or also fancy .SSA/.rear end stuff with embedded fonts, styling and positioning?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is an amazing device and really cool, but if you think this spells the end of cable/satellite in any way, you are seriously deluded. The vast majority of television users out there want "*click*.. on, watch" functionality. As soon as you have to start browsing or streaming or anything even remotely like that that involves more than three button presses, you've alienated 80% of television viewers out there.

Christ, most mainstream television watchers are confused by modern remote controls.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is an amazing device and really cool, but if you think this spells the end of cable/satellite in any way, you are seriously deluded. The vast majority of television users out there want "*click*.. on, watch" functionality. As soon as you have to start browsing or streaming or anything even remotely like that that involves more than three button presses, you've alienated 80% of television viewers out there.

Christ, most mainstream television watchers are confused by modern remote controls.

I dont' see why you can't get that same sort of idiot proof system in these connected media players

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Fister posted:

I dont' see why you can't get that same sort of idiot proof system in these connected media players

I'm sure you can, but to get it in that sort of state, out of the box, would relegate it to just being cable in another form. If if it's just cable with a shiny new paint job, that won't entice many people to ditch their existing cable. Satellite was able to draw a ton of people away from cable, because it genuinely offered a lot more content, but still had a very basic approach to how that content is selected and view. Boxee offers another step up in content, but to it's detriment there's a level of competency required to take full advantage of it that most viewers simply do not have. When most people take a minute to figure out how to change the input mode when they want to watch a DVD, streaming from a computer is the equivalent of asking them to terraform Mars with a shovel and a photo of Ben Vareen.

Don't get me wrong, I think this sort of thing is the future, but the date when that happens is still nebulous and hazy, and very likely still far, far away.

EDIT: Oh drat, and I just saw it's being made by D-Link. Yikes, I can't speak for everyone but I and everyone I've known who's had a D-Link router has had nothing but problems with them. Not that it matters anyway, as being in Canada means 90% of the content this thing can access is blocked to me.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2010

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is an amazing device and really cool, but if you think this spells the end of cable/satellite in any way, you are seriously deluded. The vast majority of television users out there want "*click*.. on, watch" functionality.

This is the basis for the GoogleTV. It initially looks like it will try to integrate and extend your existing cable/sat service with additional web-features and content. The local content will be the icing on the cake for the tech-savvy.

The Boxee Box is already dead in the water. Its underpowered chip can't play high bitrate HD content, and at this rate, the Logitech Revue (GTV) will beat it to market with much better h/w and s/w. The Acer Revos are also getting cheaper, and the XBMC port is getting better for those that want to customize their HTPC.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Just saw this on Engadget, apparently the first production box has come off the line
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/boxees-first-production-box-gets-shown-off-to-the-world-video/

Too bad it still isn't being released until November. I simply got impatient and bought a WDTV Live for the time being.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm still hoping the delay is just to get the software up to par.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

B-Nasty posted:

This is the basis for the GoogleTV. It initially looks like it will try to integrate and extend your existing cable/sat service with additional web-features and content. The local content will be the icing on the cake for the tech-savvy.

The Boxee Box is already dead in the water. Its underpowered chip can't play high bitrate HD content, and at this rate, the Logitech Revue (GTV) will beat it to market with much better h/w and s/w. The Acer Revos are also getting cheaper, and the XBMC port is getting better for those that want to customize their HTPC.

As long as it's a separate unit from the cable box GoogleTV will absolutely fail. The mainstream audience has failed to embrace IR blasters basically since the invention of digital cable, and Google does not appear to have any brilliant plan for how to bring DVR recordings into their little boxworld.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
It'll probably do all right here where most people don't give a poo poo about cable.

Too bad they're not releasing it here until like 2011 or 2012 or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

As long as it's a separate unit from the cable box GoogleTV will absolutely fail. The mainstream audience has failed to embrace IR blasters basically since the invention of digital cable, and Google does not appear to have any brilliant plan for how to bring DVR recordings into their little boxworld.

It's not going to be long until Google TV just because another piece of software that's incorporated on CE devices like netflix integration. When most blu-ray players and TVs have Google TV built in (and I give it less than two years before that happens), most people will then have the ability to play any sort of content they would want without adding another box.

DVR is a thornier issue as all 3rd party DVRs are an abject failure at this point and it's not software that's to blame, it's the way they are incorporated (or rather, not) into the MSO networks. We need to move beyond cablecard to pump innovation into the DVR space and I think by the time that's adopted, we may be on a completely different programming model altogether.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's not going to be long until Google TV just because another piece of software that's incorporated on CE devices like netflix integration. When most blu-ray players and TVs have Google TV built in (and I give it less than two years before that happens), most people will then have the ability to play any sort of content they would want without adding another box.

DVR is a thornier issue as all 3rd party DVRs are an abject failure at this point and it's not software that's to blame, it's the way they are incorporated (or rather, not) into the MSO networks. We need to move beyond cablecard to pump innovation into the DVR space and I think by the time that's adopted, we may be on a completely different programming model altogether.

GoogleTV has its integration with the feed from cable TV front and center. This is a problem for it because even blu-ray player and TV integration don't do much to change how gangly a cable box+IR blaster setup is. I agree that increased use of 3rd party DVRs would be great, but with the exeption of two PC tuners that have yet to be released the industry seems to be standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for CableCard's successor. Tivo's barely even trying anymore.

GoogleTV's only hope for being both good and appealing to the masses is cable company provided DVR integration, and they don't even seem to be trying for that.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

TheScott2K posted:

GoogleTV has its integration with the feed from cable TV front and center. This is a problem for it because even blu-ray player and TV integration don't do much to change how gangly a cable box+IR blaster setup is. I agree that increased use of 3rd party DVRs would be great, but with the exeption of two PC tuners that have yet to be released the industry seems to be standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for CableCard's successor. Tivo's barely even trying anymore.

GoogleTV's only hope for being both good and appealing to the masses is cable company provided DVR integration, and they don't even seem to be trying for that.

I thought it was being integrated into Dish Network's box?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I thought it was being integrated into Dish Network's box?

Just looked into it and yes it is. I hope it catches on, because I really want to see set-top boxes do more and the way it happens is integration, not more boxes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone has probably already moved on by now but...

Tegra 2 is out, Intel Atom CE4100 is in

That will also make it cost about $30 more for a price of $229. They stated their gripe with Tegra 2 was that it couldn't do high profile h264.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will be updating OP tonight. Or closing thread. Haven't decided yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just bought a wdtv live plus, gonna move it to the bedroom and get one of these.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Tried to find this and obviously no one hear has one, but does anyone know if I plug a USB hard drive in and plug in the network cable too, if it will show up as network-attached storage so I can copy files right to the device from my computer? Would rather not stream if I didn't have to.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hedgecore posted:

Tried to find this and obviously no one hear has one, but does anyone know if I plug a USB hard drive in and plug in the network cable too, if it will show up as network-attached storage so I can copy files right to the device from my computer? Would rather not stream if I didn't have to.

There might be an app for it or atleast some sort of SMB ability, but why download through your computer when you can just torrent right from the box itself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amazon preorder price dropped to $199

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JE07O?tag=gmgamzn-20

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Everyone has probably already moved on by now but...

Tegra 2 is out, Intel Atom CE4100 is in

That will also make it cost about $30 more for a price of $229. They stated their gripe with Tegra 2 was that it couldn't do high profile h264.

Haha they couldn't have figured this out before demoing it at CES?

tragick
Apr 2, 2003

I have to use a lot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain.

Wish they would've told us about the chipset change earlier instead of keeping everyone in the dark for so long. Oh well, I think it'll be pretty sweet.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I hope the Netflix streaming will be in HD. The current Boxee Netflix app, as far as I know, is locked out of the HD stream since in all cases it is technically running on PC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tragick posted:

Wish they would've told us about the chipset change earlier instead of keeping everyone in the dark for so long. Oh well, I think it'll be pretty sweet.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I hope the Netflix streaming will be in HD. The current Boxee Netflix app, as far as I know, is locked out of the HD stream since in all cases it is technically running on PC.

Ohh, that would change things if i couldn't do HD netflix.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

On top of that, nobody would buy it on looks either. Why the gently caress they chose a triangle is beyond me. Every company of worth knows to make their poo poo a rectangle because everyone else makes their poo poo rectangular. Customers just stack them on top of each other.

I was all set to buy one of these based on the specs until I saw the chassis. I don't even know what else to say except what the gently caress were they thinking?

tragick
Apr 2, 2003

I have to use a lot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain.

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh, that would change things if i couldn't do HD netflix.
Actually, now that I look into it, *some* of the HD titles on Netflix are available in HD on a PC now, but not nearly all. Hopefully they will unlock all of them for the Boxee Box since it is an 'embedded' device.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tragick posted:

Actually, now that I look into it, *some* of the HD titles on Netflix are available in HD on a PC now, but not nearly all. Hopefully they will unlock all of them for the Boxee Box since it is an 'embedded' device.

From what it sounds like on the forums and the comments. They are hinting that netflix on boxee will be better than current solutions. Maybe they will be the first device with 5.1 audio support.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tragick posted:

PC can do Netflix HD now

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

PC can do Netflix HD now

Very limited though, not nearly enough titles that are available in HD are available in HD for the PC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I was all set to buy one of these based on the specs until I saw the chassis. I don't even know what else to say except what the gently caress were they thinking?

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the design of the box? It's pretty neat and I think it looks cool.

Everyone is bitching about how you can't stack it with your A/V equipment, then just put it on top of the stack. I don't think you want to stack this thing anyways, it probably will be putting out quite a bit of heat.

Beloved Cunt
Jan 14, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the design of the box? It's pretty neat and I think it looks cool.

Everyone is bitching about how you can't stack it with your A/V equipment, then just put it on top of the stack. I don't think you want to stack this thing anyways, it probably will be putting out quite a bit of heat.

Bearing in mind that Boxee and media streaming to the TV in general is a pretty niche market at the moment, I think the design of the Boxee box is intended to provoke people unfamiliar with the concepts into asking "what's that?" etc.

Designing this as just another set-top box is unlikely to invoke that sort of enquiry.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Just preordered mine, can't wait, anybody else?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I won't be buying the box, but I do love the software - i'd even pay (a small amount) for it.

Though they do need to fix some of the stuttering and frame dropping issues for flash when its running on an atom processor.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'll order one after I see reviews from the goons that did buy one. I really do like the software too but they need to work on scrapping a little bit more.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I will order one when I can put XBMC on it

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
If the software matures just a little bit (or is substantially different than the free download) then I could see getting one of these for my mother. Boxee is a lot prettier and easier to understand than XBMC out-of-the-box.

I'm interested in knowing how the actual device performs. Reviews, anyone?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Yeah, I'm banking on it being buttery smooth since it's taken this long to get out the door. As much as I'd like to get another HTPC, I really don't use mine for anything else but a media center (extender? File server is elsewhere and I don't have cable to DVR) and this seems to fit the bill quite nicely since my current setup doesn't do 1080P very well and is quite large.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Fatal posted:

Yeah, I'm banking on it being buttery smooth since it's taken this long to get out the door. As much as I'd like to get another HTPC, I really don't use mine for anything else but a media center (extender? File server is elsewhere and I don't have cable to DVR) and this seems to fit the bill quite nicely since my current setup doesn't do 1080P very well and is quite large.

I've preordered mine too, mostly because I am fairly sick of dealing with driver issues with getting various components to work properly with my hdtv. I've probably spent 10 hours hacking nvidia drivers to let it send audio, or unsuccessfully getting my ATI card to send hdmi audio properly. Having an all-in-one box that does everything it currently does very well (aggregating all my local media and websites) is all I'm really hoping for.

I do still miss having netflix under my tv show library, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Preordered as well. I've got a nettop running boxee under Windows 7 now. It runs well, but this box will be great for a second box. the remote looks amazing.

The only thing I hate is Boxee's use of IMDB. It is a licensed copy of the database which isn't really kept in sync with IMDB itself, so you get occasional missing descriptions and crappy posters, especially compared to The TVDB. I just wish the devs would add support for local artwork.

• Locked thread