Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Right there with you. I hate the songs. One night I was laying in bed listening to an episode and some song came on with soft guitar and some retard singing about something retarded then at the end of the song, louder than anything previously coming from my speakers, he started just SCREAMING for like 15 seconds and of course as soon as I got up and close enough to lower the volume he stopped.

Sometimes they play Tenacious D or something and that's cool but the amateur poo poo sucks.

I don't think he was talking about the "mustard or pants" stuff, I think he was saying that all comedy/novelty music is terrible and that CDR would be much more palatable without it.

(He's right.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
The bit in The Nerdist interview with Jonathon Coulton about Mario doing ventriloquism made me laugh so loving hard while I was driving today.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
We haven't seem the likes of Cyber Pimp or Miles Archer (the coolest name) for quite a while.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
The Bumbershoot episode of WTF was fantastic. I'm a big fan of Nick Kroll (El Chupacabra and Bobby Bottleservice). Again, it would have been cool to see them and NNF, Garfunkel & Oates, etc. but I really can't stand the Bumbershoot crowd.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I dislike Garfunkel & Oates. They do not understand how two people singing at the same time is supposed to work.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

dancehall posted:

I dislike Garfunkel & Oates. They do not understand how two people singing at the same time is supposed to work.

But they're SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! :swoon:

:rolleyes:

I actually don't mind them too much. Their songs can be kind of funny, but I only tolerate SOME comedy songs. I agree for the most part on that opinion.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I made a formal request on the CDR facebook page that there be no more "Weirder Scott" songs played... ever. Boy, that is apparently an unpopular opinion there. People were jumping all over me! I almost cried!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

King Lou posted:

I made a formal request on the CDR facebook page that there be no more "Weirder Scott" songs played... ever. Boy, that is apparently an unpopular opinion there. People were jumping all over me! I almost cried!

Let me guess; "IT'S FREE, WHO CARES!!!" and "THEN STOP LISTENING!!!!"?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The only song that CDR played that ever really made me laugh was one where a guy was playing an acoustic guitar and singing a soft, breathy song and gradually falls asleep because of how dull his own music is, and eventually falls off his chair.

Johnathan Coulton on Nerdist was good stuff. He and Hardwick have great chemistry.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

King Lou posted:

Well you were wrong so I am glad they jumped all over you. If you can't enjoy Birthday Checks I really don't know what to say.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Also Don't Stop Or We'll Die is awesome, and they play them on CDR so there is some good comedy music.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I got a couple Don't Stop or We'll Die songs stuck in my head, so I'll vouch for their goodness. :cool:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

JiveHonky posted:

I don't think he was talking about the "mustard or pants" stuff, I think he was saying that all comedy/novelty music is terrible and that CDR would be much more palatable without it.

(He's right.)

I think you might have quoted the wrong person cause this is what I was agreeing with basically but now I get to type this: MOUSTAAAAHRD

Also I dug Loch and Key too (it's not spelled like you think!)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

I think you might have quoted the wrong person cause this is what I was agreeing with basically but now I get to type this: MOUSTAAAAHRD

Also I dug Loch and Key too (it's not spelled like you think!)

The chick in Loch and Key had an awesome loving voice.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Strange Matter posted:

The only song that CDR played that ever really made me laugh was one where a guy was playing an acoustic guitar and singing a soft, breathy song and gradually falls asleep because of how dull his own music is, and eventually falls off his chair.
That song is awesome, I've heard it played a couple times now but it just gets funnier each time. I'm pretty sure it's a parody of Iron and Wine or at least that style of low key indie music in general, I think it's called Irony and Whine but I'm not sure and I have no idea who did it. I'd love to dig it up so I could download it for myself, but searching for variations of that doesn't turn up anything.

Jimmy Pardo's only hosted a few episodes so far, but he's pretty vocal about not caring for comedy songs either, and avoids playing them as much as possible. He introduced me to a non-comedy song that I absolutely love, Simon Scardanelli's Fish out of Water. I went and bought it on Itunes after hearing the show.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Banned posted:

The bit in The Nerdist interview with Jonathon Coulton about Mario doing ventriloquism made me laugh so loving hard while I was driving today.

I nearly crashed my car during the Hollywood Movies About Poop bit. I'm not sure if it was because the bit itself was funny, or if them cracking up during it made me crack up. Either way, There Will Be Blood is where I lost it.

Who was the female singer on one of the live broadcasts who played the fiddle? She's an amazing singer, and I forgot to look her up before I deleted the podcast.

Edit: nevermind, Sarah Watkins.

Mast
Dec 1, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That song is awesome, I've heard it played a couple times now but it just gets funnier each time. I'm pretty sure it's a parody of Iron and Wine or at least that style of low key indie music in general, I think it's called Irony and Whine but I'm not sure and I have no idea who did it. I'd love to dig it up so I could download it for myself, but searching for variations of that doesn't turn up anything.

It's by Mike Phirman.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mast posted:

It's by Mike Phirman.
Haha that's it, thanks! http://music.mikephirman.com/track/irony-wine

Barrage
Jul 27, 2010
Marc Maron's interview with Whitney Cummings was really insightful. It's hilarious that even with only the small tidbits Whitney allowed to get through, you can tell she fits the model of "damaged comic."

As a fan of comedy, WTF is a godsend.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

The Banned posted:

This, this, this x 100. I was working out and this bit happened and I had to slow down on the elliptical as to focus on not laughing out loud.

Also, I have such a mancrush on Donald Glover. He is so freakin' talented. And I hope he gets to write that Johnny Quest movie for Joel McHale, that sounds awesome.

Man, I think I love WTF more and more every week. It's just so loving GOOD. Maron knows how to make every single interview so goddamed INTERESTING. I don't give a poo poo about Whitney Cummings, but his talk with her was fantastic and insightful.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Barrage posted:

Marc Maron's interview with Whitney Cummings was really insightful. It's hilarious that even with only the small tidbits Whitney allowed to get through, you can tell she fits the model of "damaged comic."

As a fan of comedy, WTF is a godsend.

I hate Carlos Mencia as much as anyone, but Maron's interviews with him are fascinating (episodes 75 and 76 iirc). They're not nearly as contentious as I thought they'd be, given the subject matter, and they kind of make you feel bad for Carlos. He's a hack and a thief, but he comes across as such a sad man and an empty vessel, and he seems to alienate everyone he's ever associated with. I guess he did a similar interview with Robin Williams that I'd love to hear, but it's not available in the archive that I could see.

WTF can be hit or miss in my opinion (I have a pretty low tolerance for existentialism and philosophy, and I think Maron indulges just a bit too much for my tastes), but he's done some really fantastic interviews. He can definitely bring a dumb celebrity interview into some amazing places.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

NecronSchmecron posted:

Let me guess; "IT'S FREE, WHO CARES!!!" and "THEN STOP LISTENING!!!!"?

More like "YOU HAVE MADE A LIFE LONG ENEMY!" and "gently caress YOU."

All of those weirder scott songs are too long. I listen most of the music on the show as long as it doesn't go on too long.

EDIT: The new CDR that was released today is pretty funny. Nick Kroll is hilarious.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 15, 2010

homer
Jan 4, 2001

DangerDummy! posted:

I guess he did a similar interview with Robin Williams that I'd love to hear, but it's not available in the archive that I could see.

Here it is

Also the new Nerdist has Don Glover so that should be a good one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

homer posted:

Here it is

Also the new Nerdist has Don Glover so that should be a good one.

I am excited about this. I love Don Glover. Dude is so loving talented. I remember even from the old Derrick Comedy skits thinking that he was going to be a big star.

neen
Jun 9, 2009
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The F Plus. I think I actually found the link for it somewhere on SA, during the doll fucker thread.
Its like Lou Reads the internet, but with more people and funny voices. They have talked about Yahoo Answers, Christian Poems, Teenage Angst, Otherkin, Real Dolls, etc..
seriously check it

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Vomitus Prime
One of my favorite shows. Bill sounds exactly like Owen Wilson. Co-hosts vary as the normal co-host is MIA.

One of my favorite episodes: http://www.podfeed.net/episode/Vomitus+Prime+140+Secret+Squirrel/2672728
The hotsauce bit made me puke with laughter.

The Greatest Movie Ever
Paul reviews movies.

Classic episode: Conan the Barbarian

Uhh Yeah Dude
It's been mentioned a over a dozen times there's a reason why. They do tend to talk about Hollywood gossip poo poo. Bores me, but to each his own.

also Sick and Wrong & NotLP aka Night of the Living podcast

nah
Mar 16, 2009

This week's CDR is the best thing that has ever happened

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

This is the truest sentence that has ever been written.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I third that statement.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

floor is lava posted:

Vomitus Prime
One of my favorite shows. Bill sounds exactly like Owen Wilson. Co-hosts vary as the normal co-host is MIA.

One of my favorite episodes: http://www.podfeed.net/episode/Vomitus+Prime+140+Secret+Squirrel/2672728
The hotsauce bit made me puke with laughter.

I don't really think Bill sounds like Owen Wilson, but it is a good show. I hate to be the person that says it, but it used to be way better than it is now. I think my favorite episode is "Duel". "I'm going to turn you into a goddamn Garbage Pail Kid, and his name is HURT KURT." (speaking to then co-host Kurt)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
For the entire archive of past WTFcasts, go here: http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/rss

(not including pay ones, obviously)

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I don't really think Bill sounds like Owen Wilson, but it is a good show. I hate to be the person that says it, but it used to be way better than it is now. I think my favorite episode is "Duel". "I'm going to turn you into a goddamn Garbage Pail Kid, and his name is HURT KURT." (speaking to then co-host Kurt)

poo poo, I mean Luke Wilson. Watch Old School and then listen to Bill talk. It's loving uncanny.

Edit: And by MIA co-host I mean Will.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

bananasinpajamas posted:

Howard Stern's penis.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Donald Glover on the Nerdist was fantastic. Dude's a smart, talented guy, it's impossible to hate him.

Looking forward to this week's CDR, I haven't listened to it yet.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Wait is Micheal Winslow black?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
http://feed.podcastmachine.com/podcasts/5841/mp3.rss

Joey Motherfucking Karate Coco Diaz has his own podcast along with some chick called Beauty and da Beast. If he's half as funny as he is on Joe Rogan's podcast as a guest, it's going to be gold. I downloaded a few episodes to listen to on my commute tomorrow.

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!

Civil posted:

http://feed.podcastmachine.com/podcasts/5841/mp3.rss

Joey Motherfucking Karate Coco Diaz has his own podcast along with some chick called Beauty and da Beast. If he's half as funny as he is on Joe Rogan's podcast as a guest, it's going to be gold. I downloaded a few episodes to listen to on my commute tomorrow.

Thanks for this I love me some Joey Diaz. Looking forward to listening.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Borrego posted:

Thanks for this I love me some Joey Diaz. Looking forward to listening.

I've listened to a bit, and it's just not what I was hoping for. The girl (Felicia Michaels) just doesn't compliment him very well. Joey is still funny, but she isn't, despite being a comedienne. He needs to lose her and pair up with another guy who wants to get down and dirty.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cake Boss' attention to detail in that would you rather was incredible. I loved the "WHY DO I DO IT?!" when Scott told him he calls Batman every night to gloat about beating his record, and the fact that Batman wouldn't even know if not for the phone calls. Also his wondering if he'd ever find true love as the tippy-toed gold-brained balsa wood plane was almost too sweet to be funny.

I hope the Cake Boss makes an appearance on the Pod F. Tompkast soon.

I was recently stuck in a hotel room while on a business trip and I had a chance to watch the REAL Cake Boss... I thought PFT was making a ridiculous impersonation of some Italian guy who makes cakes. His impression of the Cake Boss is almost perfect.

The_Rob posted:

Well you were wrong so I am glad they jumped all over you. If you can't enjoy Birthday Checks I really don't know what to say.

I love CDR radio and I love Weirder Scott, I love comedy music and even the bad stuff is funny because it's bad.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and listen to every episode that has Nick Kroll, he is so drat hilarious. Also all the episodes with Paul F. Tompkins are great... hell any episode where they have characters where they improvise are great. This weeks episode was so drat hilarious.

I also listen to Kevin Smith's Smodcast, the ones where they play out a scene are the best (usually a news story).

Superego is great, I love the "spidermin 2" guy.

The Lavender Hour is loving hilarious, everyone should listen to it. The only problem is that they are very inconsistent with releasing new episodes.

Doug Loves Movies, Pod F Tompkast, Comedy and Everything else and the Adam Carolla Show are also great and I listen to them every new episode.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.

For what it's worth, I really think Sklarboro Country is pretty funny.

• Locked thread