Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sigmachiev posted:

what we do have is a random week off next week where we were suppose to schedule callbacks. I've scheduled myself a girl who calls herself Midnight.

At least one of you two got a callback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

somebody on the onion must have gone to law school

quote:

Law Schools Now Require Applicants To Honestly State Whether They Want To Go To Law School

NEW YORK—A growing number of law schools have begun requiring applicants to specify in writing whether they do, in fact, have some desire to attend law school, or are just using it as a predictable last resort. "We want to separate those who actually see themselves becoming attorneys from those who just want to put off joining the adult world for another three years," Fordham Law School director Bruce Green said Thursday, showing reporters an application that asks students to check boxes marked "Really?" and "Seriously? You're really that into this?" "We want prospective students to know that they will actually have to study the U.S. legal system. As in, the whole thing." Word of the new requirement has already reportedly caused a 450 percent spike nationwide in applications to graphic design schools.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

At least one of you two got a callback.

I was hoping I could delight the thread with news of an offer today (one of my callbacks said they'd let me know today) but since it's 1:30 and I haven't gotten word yet we'll postpone that news until after I hear back from Jamba Juice.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

sigmachiev posted:

I was hoping I could delight the thread with news of an offer today (one of my callbacks said they'd let me know today) but since it's 1:30 and I haven't gotten word yet we'll postpone that news until after I hear back from Jamba Juice.

I heard NYC Jamba Juices are upping first years to 175 (dollars per week)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

I just liked the satisfaction of passing people over and over while working on my 50 laps. Ps the signup sheet isnt so bad if you do weights too, just plan to workout for half an hour beforehand.

Do you know how far around that track is? I've heard both .1 miles and .25 miles

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Do you know how far around that track is? I've heard both .1 miles and .25 miles

Roughly 1/10th of a mile (160m). Anyone that says a quarter-mile (aka full track length) is an idiot and thinks they run a lot faster than they actually do.

Ok maybe not an idiot since they go there, but very bad at math and exercise. (Insert bad-at-math-law-joke)

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 16, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

Roughly 1/10th of a mile (160m). Anyone that says a quarter-mile (aka full track length) is an idiot and thinks they run a lot faster than they actually do.

Ok maybe not an idiot since they go there, but very bad at math and exercise. (Insert bad-at-math-law-joke)

Whoops that was supposed to be .125 (1/8th).

Well that means I'm in slightly worse shape than I thought.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Saw a '10 grad selling Nooks at Barnes and Noble. Don't feel quite as bad about my small firm job paying less than half of the big firm salary.

It's amazing how many people I get to correct when they congratulate me on my job by saying "At least you won't work nearly as many hours."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Teaching a class on legal realism and The Bramble Bush to high schoolers tomorrow. Takeaway message: all judges are activists, law is politics, burn everything down.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Petey posted:

Teaching a class on legal realism and The Bramble Bush to high schoolers tomorrow. Takeaway message: all judges are activists, law is politics, burn everything down.
That's pretty cool. How did you arrange to teach the class?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

ewr2870 posted:

It belongs to the University and is crowded because of of all the drat undergrads.

I worked at Hemenway one summer, and yeah its always full of undergrads. Mostly freshman because it is so close to the yard. I totally used to work out there as a freshman.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ersatz posted:

That's pretty cool. How did you arrange to teach the class?

It's my old high school and my old legal studies teacher. I taught Facebook and privacy there last year, teaching some janus-faced precedent tomorrow morning. Just finished making my presentation, which is basically all cribbed from pages 70-76 of Bramble Bush and Mensch's chapter on the history of mainstream legal thought from The Politics of Law

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Was doing a favour for a friend of mine who was representing another friend in an employment case which had gone to trial. He was basically representing the guy pro bono and the dude wouldn't have been able to afford anyone else. His career has been entirely as a commercial solicitor. I don't think he's seen the inside of a courtroom since he was admitted.

Anyway, I was just helping him out with some of the legal stuff, and giving advice on how to cross, and sat in with him for the first day (he was giving his EIC).

Highlights included:

- The first day he objects to the opposing barrister for asking leading questions during cross-examination. I was sitting next to him taking notes and felt like sinking into the ground.

- He was repeatedly pulled up by the presiding Commissioner (it was a commission, not a court) for badgering witnesses, arguing with witnesses, asking irrelevant questions and repeatedly interrupting witnesses.

Surprisingly, I think the Commissioner was leaning to us by the end of the trial. Sympathy maybe?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pretty Much Correct Comics

:airquote: standing :airquote:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sigmachiev posted:

I was referring to you and Midnight, Midnight being the one who got a callback.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That comic is loving stupid

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Linguica posted:

Pretty Much Correct Comics

:airquote: standing :airquote:

I want to set the person who drew this comic on fire.

What do you want to bet he describes himself as a "constitutionalist" too...

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Red Bean Juice posted:

I want to open the blood gates.

quote:

I also like how those white people who are obviously not from New Orleans are smiling when they hear about the insurance claim declinations. They should smile because it's not as if insurance companies make misleading sales pitches to convince people to buy policies.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TyChan posted:

I want to open the blood gates.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Defleshed posted:

I thought it was one of these for a second:

http://www.theonion.com/features/editorial-cartoon/

e: ACTIVIST JUDGES

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 16, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: OPEN THE BLOODGATES FOR THE GLORY OF KHORNE

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Incredulous Red posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: OPEN THE BLOODGATES FOR THE GLORY OF KHORNE

Quoting this because yes.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
skulls for the skull throne

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yesss my 1st edition Hints on the Trial of a lawsuit arrived

the entire section on female witnesses is better than I imagined

"be careful of the quiet, modest female witness, for this is the type that is usually 'loaded if goaded'"

The section on juries wasn't as racist or classist as I expected - I assume naturally there were simply no blacks to worry about in jury pools

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 17, 2010

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Red Bean Juice posted:

What a colossal loving douchebag.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

SA Job Board Posting: Rent - a - cracker (gweilo?)

quote:

The requirements for these jobs are simple. 1. Be white. 2. Do not speak any Chinese, or really speak at all, unless asked. 3. Pretend like you just got off of an airplane yesterday.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/06/29/china.rent.white.people/index.html?iref=obnetwork

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My ears are burning....

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005

Incredulous Red posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/06/29/china.rent.white.people/index.html?iref=obnetwork

dropping out of law school. this is my new career.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Just pre-ordered Civilization V with extra Babylonian civ today. Good thing I took this thread's advice and scheduled all pass/fail or zero attendance policy!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
chuck asay can eat a dick

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

blar posted:

Just pre-ordered Civilization V with extra Babylonian civ today. Good thing I took this thread's advice and scheduled all pass/fail or zero attendance policy!

grrr...how were you able to determine the attendance policies in advance? Since none of my professors have taught the same course from one year to the next, it's been impossible to tell.

Regardless, thanks for reminding me to preorder...attendance policy or not, I'm going to be pretty scarce.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Does it really take 4-6 weeks for the items I got with my Westlaw points to arrive?

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Incredulous Red posted:

That article doesn't really talk about what these people are being used for in a general sense... It sounds like they are being hired by scam artists. I'm having a hard time imagining legitimate businesses doing that, am I wrong? I would not want to get arrested for fraud in China, even for a nice dinner and some cash.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

jake1357 posted:

That article doesn't really talk about what these people are being used for in a general sense... It sounds like they are being hired by scam artists. I'm having a hard time imagining legitimate businesses doing that, am I wrong? I would not want to get arrested for fraud in China, even for a nice dinner and some cash.

Business in China pretty much is a scam

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Incredulous Red posted:

That's so unfair. Being Asian-American gets in the way again!

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Phil Moscowitz posted:

chuck asay can eat a dick

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
My LR casenote won a writing contest...publication in the Food & Drug Law Journal plus 4 grand cash prize.

SUBMIT YOUR poo poo there's money to be made.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

J Miracle posted:

My LR casenote won a writing contest...publication in the Food & Drug Law Journal plus 4 grand cash prize.

Friggin badass. Way to go man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

J Miracle posted:

woah congrats. got any tips on writing it?