Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
My (4.0) YJ's leaking about a quart every two weeks now, so it's finally time to bite the bullet and replace the rear main seal.

I found a Jeep shop that will do it for $350, which seems like a pretty good deal compared to what most people get online, and they said they do them all the time, so I imagine it'll be quick. Is anyone who's done it themselves going to try to talk me into doing it myself? I have a garage, but I can't be without my car for more than two or three days because of my job.

Should I consider doing the oil pump at the same time? Pressure's fine, but the engine's at 160k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My XJ is fixed. It was a loose ground on the starter solenoid. Thanks, forums poster GWBBQ!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've heard hitting the starter with a hammer a couple times might help get it unstuck. Would help confirm if it's really the starter.

edit: Doh should read all the posts before replying.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

mod sassinator posted:

I've heard hitting the starter with a hammer a couple times might help get it unstuck. Would help confirm if it's really the starter.

edit: Doh should read all the posts before replying.

This does work. Had an old '94 I6 grand cherokee where the starter starting acting up - banging on it with a hammer a few times would indeed make it work a bit longer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Found a '93 Sahara with 4.0 and relatively low miles that I'm looking at tomorrow. Anything specific I should be looking for in that year/model? It doesn't look like it was ever off-roaded (street tires, no lift).

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

If Chrysler would sell us the goddamn Jeep JT, I would buy it. I want it exactly like this one, color, wheels & all. It'd be a second car for me, but I'd love it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Had new control arms put on my XJ today, now I can turn the wheels to full lock without rubbing! Also had some JKS quick disconnects put on and they've noticeably firmed up the front--I suspect because I'm not running on crap bushings with 150k miles anymore.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Installed skid plate.

All you need is a gr8tops half hard top, a little work and you can have a jeep truck.

like me.

Ordered the BUTTFACE which is next. THEN Skid LCA bracket skids.

BUTTFACE.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 18, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

BUTTFACE.

This doesn't seem like a good idea

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A what?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Went and looked at the '93 Sahara today (4.0L, ~70k mi) and ran out of gas while test driving, apparently the gas gauge is broken. Also a torn seat and leaking rear differential. The body is in perfect shape. One owner, regular maintenance. The oil was freshly changed so I couldn't tell anything by the dipstick. Tomorrow I'm going back to give it another go. The wiper blades on the windshield are somewhat distracting, is there a kit or something to change that? They are asking a pretty penny over book so I'll have some negotiating to do if I decide to buy it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

This doesn't seem like a good idea

Indeed, looks like it is just going to smack the hell out of the, what I assume is the steering rod there

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Indeed, looks like it is just going to smack the hell out of the, what I assume is the steering rod there
It's designed to have enough clearance - there isn't going to be much vertical movement in the rod anyway.

I think I saw a review of those things a while back, and the general consensus was "Ugly, but tough as hell".

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

CommieGIR posted:

The tie rod stays parallel to the axle so it won't hit it. I'm more worried about the cover being ripped right off of the diff if you hit it hard enough, but if it's been put through its paces by others I'll have to trust that it's that strong. Ugly as poo poo though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No-go on the '93 Sahara, they wanted $9k and weren't willing to budge on the price. Back to looking.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
$8500 for a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with a hard and soft top. Wish I had the cash to pick it up, that'd be fun. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1945608109.html

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Faerunner posted:

$8500 for a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with a hard and soft top. Wish I had the cash to pick it up, that'd be fun. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1945608109.html

New radiator, water pump, battery. This Jeep's been through hell, abort.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

EightBit posted:

It's 10 years old and has 103k miles--doesn't seem out of the ordinary to start replacing the cooling system to me.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I need to rant about something so I apologize in advance. My front passenger side window wouldn't go down so I took the door panel off and saw there was no motor in there and there was a screw holding the window up.

I ordered a motor and installed it today, it turns out the track (I suppose its called) where the window goes up and down on is hosed up somehow so I hear the noise like the window is operating but that long screw that feeds thru the track doesn't move at all. From what I can gather I now need to purchase a regulator too, which is what I thought I bought but...

Someone please help me before I end up buying a hundred different parts that I don't need.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

wormil posted:

No-go on the '93 Sahara, they wanted $9k and weren't willing to budge on the price. Back to looking.

They're insane. If they were asking that much, you'd expect a detail such as the fuel gauge to be working fine. In fact, that's even more expensive to what I paid for my '90 Sahara in my country where everything is twice as expensive as in the states (car-wise), and mine only had ignition problems and needed maybe $200 worth of engine upgrades (the usual nutter, team rush, etc upgrades, already had Weber).

Keep looking, you'll come across a nice deal. I wouldn't care much about a mint condition body also, just one that isn't rusted out

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

I need to rant about something so I apologize in advance. My front passenger side window wouldn't go down so I took the door panel off and saw there was no motor in there and there was a screw holding the window up.

I ordered a motor and installed it today, it turns out the track (I suppose its called) where the window goes up and down on is hosed up somehow so I hear the noise like the window is operating but that long screw that feeds thru the track doesn't move at all. From what I can gather I now need to purchase a regulator too, which is what I thought I bought but...

Someone please help me before I end up buying a hundred different parts that I don't need.

Return those parts and buy a door from a junk yard?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

EightBit posted:

Three common failure points/potential necessary maintenance items? Also... batteries lasting ten years? Point me to these mystical devices.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Faerunner posted:

Three common failure points/potential necessary maintenance items? Also... batteries lasting ten years? Point me to these mystical devices.

Having to replace a radiator means that the cooling system didn't get flushed regularly and will continue to cause problems. Battery, sure, they don't last forever. Water pump replaced too? Unless they're paranoid about poo poo failing together I suspect that they never changed the coolant or ran it with too much water and the pump rusted out.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

(one afternoon in uwharrie) It Was new and fresh when I went in.
I'm taking ugly and tough. It will take the same hit any other diff cover will take, just protecting the tie rod up in it's little ugly shelf.
After this weekend, I'm up armoring everything underneath.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 20, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

giundy posted:

Return those parts and buy a door from a junk yard?

Thats what I shouldve done in the first place. I guess I learned my lesson.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

y u ain't got oil pan skid bro

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Edit: NM. Beaten.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2010

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

y u ain't got oil pan skid bro

Lord, one piece at a time.

OME 2" lift ordered with quicker disconnects, bump stops, front and rear adjustable trac bars and long travel shocks for when I get super flexy control arms, then the add on skid to the tc skid.http://www.undercoverfab.com/aluminum-engine-skids/56--03-06-tj-lj-steel-engine-skid-plate-.html

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 21, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How crazy am I for thinking of buying a Wrangler with a rebuilt title? I'm guessing this means someone took several junked Jeeps and made one (hopefully) good one. It won't be my only vehicle.

edit: after thinking about it on the way home, this is a terrible idea.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 22, 2010

Tsu
Jan 2, 2005

Please pee on this.
Tomorrow I'm going to look over what could be my first Jeep. I've wanted to build an XJ and enjoy the woes of off-roading for at least a year or two now. However, with current funds short, I have been looking into pre-built XJ's. When going over Craigslist, I stumble upon this.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/e0/e054974cec58c3cd452a14d8c75ec57d465ceb28.jpg

It's a 1996 with a 4.5 inch lift, 31's, 5 speed, a fixed yoke and recently new ball joints and u-joints. The problems? Well, apparently the only two I'm told of would be a non-working speedometer, and tires that are starting to cup. The owner also told me it has D30 axles. I thought I read that the rear was either a D35 or 44 only for these things.

Either way, I'm excited to look it over tomorrow and hopefully get it at a good price. XJ's don't seem too sophisticated, so inspecting it shouldn't be too hard. I'm also bring my father who's an old auto body worker to check it over real good. I'm pretty excited and hoping this XJ is worth buying.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
D30 is a front axle only; it's the only one XJ's ever came with. The 44 in the rear was for 87-90 only. Unless he swapped whatever was stock, it's probably the 8.25 back there (D35 if it has ABS).

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 22, 2010

Tsu
Jan 2, 2005

Please pee on this.

Tsu posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to look over what could be my first Jeep. I've wanted to build an XJ and enjoy the woes of off-roading for at least a year or two now. However, with current funds short, I have been looking into pre-built XJ's. When going over Craigslist, I stumble upon this.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/e0/e054974cec58c3cd452a14d8c75ec57d465ceb28.jpg

It's a 1996 with a 4.5 inch lift, 31's, 5 speed, a fixed yoke and recently new ball joints and u-joints. The problems? Well, apparently the only two I'm told of would be a non-working speedometer, and tires that are starting to cup. The owner also told me it has D30 axles. I thought I read that the rear was either a D35 or 44 only for these things.

Either way, I'm excited to look it over tomorrow and hopefully get it at a good price. XJ's don't seem too sophisticated, so inspecting it shouldn't be too hard. I'm also bring my father who's an old auto body worker to check it over real good. I'm pretty excited and hoping this XJ is worth buying.

I bought this thing! I just don't know why I didn't get a Jeep sooner. I love this thing so far! I'm only experiencing three problems. The speedometer doesn't work, but the check engine light was on and it read a vehicle speed sensor code and random misfires. Should I bite to bullet and go for a speed sensor while I check the connection first? It's an AX-15 transmission, and I haven't been able to find a speed sensor for a 1996. They're all for automatics, it seems.

Also, I'm getting a puddle in the passenger floor area. I searched thoroughly and determined it's either a drain or the windshield. However, if it's the windshield, it has to be running behind the interior trim because it seems dry as hell everywhere else in the cabin around the windshield.

The only other problem is a screwed oil pressure sender or something similar. The oil pressure reads off the gauge and doesn't move at all. The P.O. said he replaced the sender previously and it still did the same thing.

Either way, I'm happy with this thing and can't wait to seafoam it and beat the Christ out of it!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, we had a crazy storm last night and the trail I drive on pretty regularly got wrecked, there were downed trees everywhere, and a whole lot of mud. I had just cleaned it but I couldn't resist the urge. So much fun.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Tsu posted:

The only other problem is a screwed oil pressure sender or something similar. The oil pressure reads off the gauge and doesn't move at all. The P.O. said he replaced the sender previously and it still did the same thing.

Either way, I'm happy with this thing and can't wait to seafoam it and beat the Christ out of it!

Most likely the sending unit that's installed is for the "idiot light" cluster as thats exactly what my oil gauge did when the wrong sender was installed. They look the same so its a very easy mistake.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Been trying to seal the deal on a 2001 Cherokee for a couple weeks now. I asked them to fix the power steering because it was whining a bit, they ended up fixing the serpentine belt and now I guess there is a problem switching from 4hi to 4low. Ah well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TheManWithNoName posted:

Been trying to seal the deal on a 2001 Cherokee for a couple weeks now. I asked them to fix the power steering because it was whining a bit, they ended up fixing the serpentine belt and now I guess there is a problem switching from 4hi to 4low. Ah well.

That seems odd--the transfer case is pretty well isolated from the engine accessories. Did you try moving the car a tiny bit and then attempting to engage 4 low? Sometimes you need to move a bit to get things lined up. You have the car in neutral too, right?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

That seems odd--the transfer case is pretty well isolated from the engine accessories. Did you try moving the car a tiny bit and then attempting to engage 4 low? Sometimes you need to move a bit to get things lined up. You have the car in neutral too, right?

I haven't actually driven it since my test drive, this is just what the dealer is telling me over the phone. He said a pin or something needed replacing and that it was stuck in 4 low. Separate issue from the power steering.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Call me crazy but I'd walk away.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ouch yeah I would find another one, luckily there were millions of them built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Well it's apparently being fixed. I'm taking it for a long drive to my mechanic tomorrow, so we shall see.