Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not even 3 hours. LoA and OUaTitW are both longer.

It's not even that hard to look up how long a movie is. I don't see why so many people post that movies are ridiculously longer than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Guys, I don't wanna watch Breathless. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

The Lucas posted:

Guys, I don't wanna watch Breathless. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

Like you ever do anything productive anyway, The Lucas :jerkbag:

I'm going to watch Blue Velvet tomorrow after work, but I also polished off a couple other movies on my list in the meantime. I don't even care if it's cheating!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

dotCommunism posted:

It's not even that hard to look up how long a movie is. I don't see why so many people post that movies are ridiculously longer than they are.

Well, I know for me both instances were people telling me the films indicated felt long. Which is why I held off on seeing them. Which is why it's on a shame list.

Does it really matter why people haven't seen a movie, when it's on a list of movies they are asking to be told to see?

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) Blade Runner- once again no excuse

It was hard to pick between this and Alien but Blade Runner is pretty drat great. Make sure you watch The Final Cut version.

Eternal Sunshine was wonderful. I didn't think that Jim Carrey could pull off a role like this but he was refreshingly toned down and believable. All of the memory erasing sequences were brilliant, I love how detailed and surreal they were.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Rear Window - I've seen a few Hitchcock films and I want to see more.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

Chauntecleer
Mar 15, 2006
Rawr!
Atheistdeals.com, watch Rear Window.

Watched Saving Private Ryan. Sometimes I think Spielberg is really overrated, but this was a pretty good film. It really brought home the feeling that it's a miracle anyone survived WWII at all.

Updated List:

1. La Dolce Vita - I don't know what it's about, but in an episode of the 4400, Meghan Doyle has the movie's poster in her office, so now I want to see it.

2. Seven Samurai - My husband told me that this movie "is a Western, but with Samurai!" It'll be hard to live up to that description, now.

3. Touch of Evil - I love Orson Welles, but have only seen the opening shot of this movie for a film class. No good reason I haven't gotten around to watching the whole thing, but I haven't.

4. Chinatown The Maltese Falcon- I like film noir, I like Humphrey Bogart, so I don't know why I haven't seen this one.

5. Duck Soup Philadelphia Story - Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart? Sign me up!

6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Always heard this was great, but haven't seen it.

7. Brazil Saving Private Ryan Goodfellas- Animaniacs had the Goodfeathers, so that's enough recommendation in my book.

8. Shop Around the Corner - I love Jimmy Stewart, and have no good reason for not having seen this movie yet.

9. A Few Good Men - Everyone in law school says you have to watch this movie if you want to be a lawyer, but I don't like Tom Cruise so I haven't seen it.

10. Bridge Over th River Kwai - I saw African Queen when I was a little kid, but confused it with this movie (because they both.. um.. have a river?), and at some point in adulthood I realized that I never actually saw Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Chauntecleer posted:

10. Bridge Over the River Kwai - I saw African Queen when I was a little kid, but confused it with this movie (because they both.. um.. have a river?), and at some point in adulthood I realized that I never actually saw Bridge Over the River Kwai.
The time has come. I don't know how you felt about The African Queen but I personally enjoy this film much more.

I’m thinking of watching a bunch of Best Picture winners after finally watching Amadeus. I’m glad it took liberties with the play because the play really annoyed me, but I also thought the film did a great job of working with certain concepts from the play such as the modern dialogue. Tom Hucle’s performance was by far my favorite part and I’ll now never watch Animal House the same way again. 4 out of 5 stars.

A Nightmare on Elm Street – I’ve seen most horror classics by now but have never had any interest in this movie.

Amadeus
Touch of Evil – Saw this on a lot of other lists and I have no idea why I’ve never seen it.

Das Boot – Nabbed this one from the imdb top 250. I don’t watch a lot of war movies even though on the rare occasion I do watch I often times love them, including Letters From Iwo Jima, Apocalypse Now, Downfall and Joyeux Noël.

The Godfather Part II
The Green Mile – For a while I confused this with another movie and avoided it but for some reason I never saw it once I found out what it really was. I love Shawshank and The Mist so I should probably watch this.

The Karate Kid – Recently a friend of mine informed me this is actually a worthwhile film. I was under the impression it was not.

The Maltese Falcon – I love film noir detective stories to death but haven’t seen this. I know not why.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) – Watched the original and I keep putting off seeing the remake even though I love Hitchcock.

Pi – I once lied and said I saw this. I did not.

Saving Private Ryan
Hotel Rwanda - I keep putting off watching this because "it's SO depressing" even though I've seen plenty of Holocaust films.

To Kill a Mockingbird
King Kong (1933) – I know this is supposed to be a classic but I already know everything that happens and terrible stop motion animation just takes me out of a film unless I'm watching it for camp value.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Touch of Evil is what you get Mr. George Kaplan

So, it turns out I had seen Pelle the Conqueror before, probably some 15 years or so ago in high school, though I only remembered a few scenes and the general mood. It is very depressing and, while it's quite good, something was lacking for me. I'm not sure what, because it's excellently acted, very well shot and the hopeless depiction of feudal life is dead on, but ultimately I could only bring myself to care so much and it felt too long and thematically repetitive. It's one of those films I appreciate but it doesn't speak to me in a way that makes me love it.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Stroszek Been a while since I've seen some Herzog, I think this is the most well regarded of the ones I haven't seen.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Brink of Life Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet a month ago I realized I haven't seen a film of his in over a year. I still haven't done anything about it so maybe this thread can help.

Kanal I've seen one Wajda film, Ashes and Diamonds, and thought it was great. Then nothing for like 3 years and I don't really have a reason why.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So, it turns out I had seen Pelle the Conqueror before, probably some 15 years or so ago in high school, though I only remembered a few scenes and the general mood. It is very depressing and, while it's quite good, something was lacking for me. I'm not sure what, because it's excellently acted, very well shot and the hopeless depiction of feudal life is dead on, but ultimately I could only bring myself to care so much and it felt too long and thematically repetitive. It's one of those films I appreciate but it doesn't speak to me in a way that makes me love it.

The real question is, how does it compare to its spiritual sequel starring Kevin Sorbo, Kull the Conqueror?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The real question is, how does it compare to its spiritual sequel starring Kevin Sorbo, Kull the Conqueror?

I've never seen Kull but Pelle has some pretty impressive and creative fight scenes so I wouldn't be surprised if it had the upper hand in that regard. There's not much conquering going on though, and Pelle is a wimp compared to the manliness that is Sorbo.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Saw heat yesterday.

Damm. It's such a shame that both De Niro and Pachino seems to just cash in paychecks now a days. They really were two of the best actors in hollywood.

New list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 The Prestige Nolan owns, wanna see more Nolan.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Brink of Life Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet a month ago I realized I haven't seen a film of his in over a year. I still haven't done anything about it so maybe this thread can help.

Can't go wrong with Bergman.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Hi Hellbunny, you get to see The Prestige, I loved it for the bizarre twists and turns, the good acting, the great cast & most of all for David Bowie as Nikola Tesla!

The 39 Steps was really good, pretty funny (Donat is brilliant) & is very Scottish flavoured so I got an extra wee tinge of excitement at the mention of Sauchiehall Street and the like. The young Highland bride is probably the most interesting and sweetest minor character I've yet seen in a Hitchcock film, really can't help wondering whatever happened to her.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

6. Citizen Kane (1941, Orson Welles)
My most SHAMEFUL, SHAME.

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

9. The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)
I started watching this and the voice-over killed me, I thought it was horrible and had to turn over. I've read a lot of great reviews though and it comes highly recommended so I want to give it a shot.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

11. Gojira (1954, Ishirô Honda)
I watched the original King Kong fairly recently and I think it's a shame I've never seen the original Godzilla, I'm expecting enjoyable pop-corn fodder.

12. Un Chien Andalou (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BisonDollah, watch The Killing. I don't remember the voice over but I do remember the absolutely stunning narrative construction and great atmosphere.

It's true, you can't go wrong with Bergman. I took me a few minutes to get re-accustomed to his style but from there on it just got better and better. It was a little predictable but the force of the performances and perfect pacing made that a minor complaint. It's a film about three women in a pregnancy ward with different views on why they're there and the three stories are wonderfully intertwined, each giving the others another dimension.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Stroszek Been a while since I've seen some Herzog, I think this is the most well regarded of the ones I haven't seen.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Kanal I've seen one Wajda film, Ashes and Diamonds, and thought it was great. Then nothing for like 3 years and I don't really have a reason why.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oh, you can go wrong with Bergman.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh, you can go wrong with Bergman.

You'd know better than I would but yeah, Crisis alone was proof enough of that.

I need to see more Bergman. I mean, I've seen like 22 or 23 of his movies but it's been a while since i saw anything new by him.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Criminal Minded posted:

You'd know better than I would but yeah, Crisis alone was proof enough of that.

I need to see more Bergman. I mean, I've seen like 22 or 23 of his movies but it's been a while since i saw anything new by him.

Well, he hasn't been making much lately.

Lazy bastard.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

As usual, I haven't seen any of your picks Peaceful Anarchy, but I have seen other Kubrick films, so Fear and Desire it is!

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was fantastic. I honestly didn't know too much about it aside from the fact that it's Jack Nicholson in a mental house. Great performances here, especially by Louise Fletcher, who played the villain-I-want-to-strangle role perfectly. Also props to Danny DeVito because I had no clue that was him until the credits and I was flabbergasted.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.

2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
2) Network - Been wanting to watch this as of late, someone pick it.
2) Metropolis - I've never seen this all the way through, and since there's been all this talk lately of the new-found footage, this is probably a good time to remedy that.

3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )

4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.

5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it was the movie of the month, so...
5) Charade - Well it is the movie of the month, so...
5) Fat City - Well it is the movie of the month, so...

6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.

7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
7) Spirited Away - For some reason anime turns me off, but it's been a while, so I'll give it another shot. This is high on the IMDb top 250 so I figured this would be a good place to try again.

8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest[/b] - No excuse, need to see this.
8) 8 1/2 - I don't know anything about this movie, but it was on everyone else's list and seemed appropriate for slot 8, so here it is.

9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.

10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try. (The Thin Red Line)
10) Lars Von Trier - Shameful that I haven't seen any of his films yet. Where should I start? (Unless I absolutely must see Antichrist, I already know most of the movie through spoilers, so not as interested there).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

JVO posted:

2) Metropolis - I've never seen this all the way through, and since there's been all this talk lately of the new-found footage, this is probably a good time to remedy that.

Unless it's showing near you soon you can't see the new version until November (when it gets a home media release), so if someone picks this you'll be stuck watching the old version.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I want to try this but I figure I'd end up watching some of the things before they're picked. I basically have a movie list I'm going through, so should I just pick some things from the bottom of it?

I've been going through this list, in order.
http://www.icheckmovies.com/profile/unchecked/chemosh6969/?toplistcount

Should I just jump 20 pages or so and pick some things out?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
^Just pick one movie per list until you have a random ten, then post them here.

JVO, watch Chinatown. Even though you JUST watched Nicholson, that's the only movie on your list I either outright enjoy, and isn't about to have a new release (Metropolis) that's probably going to be fantastic.

I wasn't a big fan of Bullitt. The chase scene was great and it's too bad everything's CG'ed to hell nowadays and that's basically a lost art, but that was exactly the problem; I didn't see it fifteen years ago. Outside of all of that, it's a whole lot of wooden acting (which I feel is the fault of the writing, the characters were all just boring as all hell). Even Steve McQueen isn't anywhere near as charismatic as usual. BUT, the editing feature length documentary on the Blu Ray is amazing and definitely worth watching.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

NEW 3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

6. To Be Or Not To Be- Highest on the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 20, 2010

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Unless it's showing near you soon you can't see the new version until November (when it gets a home media release), so if someone picks this you'll be stuck watching the old version.

Good to know, I'll bench it for my next round.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Brian Fellows posted:

6. To Be Or Not To Be- Highest on the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

I just watched that on Friday and now it's your turn.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. White Heat - I know absolutely nothing about this, even less than I know about Satya.
3. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) - I watched the newer Ben-Hur a couple months ago. Now it's time for a much older version.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Pushpak - Once again, I know nothing about this.
7. Witness for the Prosecution - I think I've heard the name at most.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Juno - I loving hated the trailer for this for the same reasons as everyone else that hated it for. The loving dialog. I debated putting this in my list but it is on some other lists I'm trying to complete :(
10. The Wrestler - I know a little bit about this and I came close to seeing it once but missed that chance and it fell off my radar.

edit: One of my movies ended up still being in the theaters. Switched it out with something not brand new.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 20, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

10. The Wrestler - I know a little bit about this and I came close to seeing it once but missed that chance and it fell off my radar.

Here's your second chance! It's incredibly wonderful and Rourke should have gotten an Oscar.

Just finished Children of a Lesser God and I have to say I was underwhelmed. It's basically just a romance where one of the characters happens to be deaf. Marlee Matlin is a wonderful actress, and I always love watching her in movies, but there was nothing moving about this. I was expecting something more profound and it simply didn't deliver. A bit disappointed.

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 20, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Bodnoirbabe, you get to watch City of God. It's a great movie, so enjoy.

Casablanca I'm still ashamed it took me this long to see it. Fantastic movie in every aspect. I want to watch it again already. (and probably will this week) If the rest of the movies on my list that I end up watching turn out even 1/4 as good, this thread may be the best thing I've done on SA.

And for my new list:

1.) Seventh Seal - Never seen Bergmen. This is supposed to be a good one to start on.

2.) Stalker - Okay maybe this one isnt' that long. But I still preceive it as being ridiculously long. (I did see Solaris and wasn't a huge fan, it's also where my idea of length of this movie comes from)

3.) Pyscho - I've only seen North by NorthWest and Vertigo. They were both amazing and I need to see more Hitchcock.

4.) Lawarence of Arabia - I have no idea how/why I have not seen this yet.

5.) Once Upon a Time in the West - I like westerns, just haven't seen this one.

6.) Chinatown - I like Nicholson. I like Noir a bit, but I really like weird variations on Noir, so I'll probably like this a lot.

7.) Ragin Bull - As far as I'm concerned Rocky is the only boxing movie ever made, so I've never even given this a chance. (But I did watch Million Dollar baby.)

8.) Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck is my favorite author, and I've puprosefully avoided any movies from his books lest they taint his image.

9.) Come and See - I watched the first half and it was quite horrifying, not sure if I really should finish it or not.

10.) The Shining - Kubrick makes pretty good films, but a lot of them are fairly scary. I really don't like being scared all that much. I did watch Shutter Island this year, and have been getting more into horror, so perhaps it's time to ditch the fear factor and watch it. And then not sleep the rest of the week.

Completed: Casablanca

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seven Samurai - It's ambitious and covers a lot of themes..so many that it almost felt like I was watching a TV series. I found a lot of scenes funny. I felt it dragged on a little bit after I'd seen about the tenth scene of the peasants running around frantically and the samurai getting annoyed with them.

Kikichuyo (Toshirô Mifune) was kind of a funny yet at times an annoying character. Kind of like he was in Rashomon (which I prefer a little over this.) Rashomon is one of those profound movies that I feel is completely timeless. Bottle it up and 100 years later it will still have a lot of universal meaning.

It's been a while since I saw the Magnificent Seven but the main difference I saw was that in this film the samurai were motivated primarily by altruism/duty while in the magnificent seven most of the characters seemed to have some kind of personal reason to help the villagers whether it be adventure/monetary gain etc.

I also was interested that they were using muskets/primitive guns during this time period. Makes me wonder why the samurai didn't arm themselves with them as it would be advantageous.

So all in all this was a very good movie as a I could write a lot more about it.

I also watched Singin' in the Rain - Felt more fast-paced than most of its contemporaries. I liked the scenes when they were attempting to first implement recording and when they first screened "The Dueling Cavalier."

PS Now I'm very close to a milestone. I only have Toy Story 3 left from the IMDb top 50. Out on DVD in the next month or two I guess.

New List:

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#85 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#91 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

3.) Pyscho - I've only seen North by NorthWest and Vertigo. They were both amazing and I need to see more Hitchcock.

Go ahead and watch this.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zogo, go watch Up. It's a great film.

I just finished Modern Times and it's amazing how forward his ideas were. The physicality of his factory work leading him to spasms and a mental breakdown, the smuggled cocaine in prison, the desire to stay in prison rather than live life on the outside, etc. The iconic image of the Tramp and his lady waddling off into the sunset was awesome. Great stuff. And the stuff that man could do in one take is just incredible.

I also watched a few extra movies from my list:

RoboCop - While I don't think this is an amazing movie or anything, I can appreciate the subversive stuff in it and anything where people explode in a cloud of squibs is awesome in my book.

Dolemite - What an awesomely terrible film. It was everything I hoped it would be, and the kung-fu hookers were the icing on the cake. I just wish there was more of Willie Brown, since he was the only dude in the movie who could really act. But spotting all the boom mics in the shots and trying to make sense of the incomprehensible plot was fun. I'm glad I saw Shaft first.

My (still) shameful list:

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it felt long and was really depressing.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Tropic Thunder - the trailers didn't make it seem all that funny, but everyone has since told me how great the movie really is. I am curious just for Robert Downey Jr's performance alone.

9) Moon - I have been trying to avoid getting spoiled on the plot twists, and I adore Sam Rockwell.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite

Still to watch: Once Upon A Time In The West

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
VorpalBunny- you get Moon, my favorite movie of last year.

Watched Blade Runner. As a noir fan, I'm wondering what took me so long A great, great film. I want to let it settle in and then watch it again.

1) Bonnie and Clyde- one of the last new Hollywood films I've yet to see
2) Alien- no excuse because I've seen the rest
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Once Upon A Time In The West- I'm catching up on my westerns
6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) Seven Samurai- it's the length that always holds me back
8) Lawrence of Arabia- see above
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) The Searchers- never seen a John Ford western

Watched: Blade Runner

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Mistletoe Donkey, clear your schedule for the Seven Samurai.

I watched Days of Heaven. At first I was turned off by the somewhat minimalistic storytelling (like the first scene...where Richard Gere's character kills a man for seemingly no reason whatsoever), but I find in the end is more in the style of a Greek tragedy, where the characters are simple archetypes; this perhaps works best when the focus is on the cinematography. It's one of the best-looking films I've seen, and doesn't use cheap effects and unrealistic set-pieces like some other films praised for their visuals. The locust/fire scene was particularly striking and I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end that must have been to shoot. I still prefer Badlands for my Malick fix, though.

List:

My list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. The Best Years of Our Lives - this seems like an unusually dark film for its time period, so that interests me
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arturo Ui, watch The Best Years of Our Lives because it's a really underrated gem.

Fear and Desire is a bad film, not quite as bad as I expected but worse than I hoped. The acting is especially atrocious, with every performance wooden and every line delivery stilted, but the rest is only mediocre. The cinematography is kind of simple and Kubrick makes some bad choices, but there are also some nice shots and, especially in the second half, he shows some of the visual acumen that he'd later be known for. The writing is the most consistent thing, never outstanding and with a bit too much exposition, but had the dialogue not been butchered it would have made for a pretty good and well paced little war movie. All in all, it's a failure as a film but it is worth seeing for those interested in Kubrick and is not unwatchable. There is a slightly better looking version than the one on Google video.

Updated list:

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The Naked Spur Another very well regarded western I need to see.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching It's a Wonderful Life. Really starting to like James Stewart as an actor. He has an unexplainable likeable quality about him.

Peaceful Anarchy go and watch The Naked Spur.

Updated List:

Mullholland Drive - Never had time for this. Heard good things but it always appeared overly complex. Don't know how true that is.

Heat - Pretty amazed I haven't seen this.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I think I vaguely know the story. It seems everyone else was made to read this in school apart from me.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest The Graduate It's a Wonderful Life

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
mikewozere, watch Heat, it's great.

Watched the Seven Samurai and I honestly felt like there was not a single frame or minute wasted. Great characters and an almost perfect film.

1) Bonnie and Clyde- one of the last new Hollywood films I've yet to see
2) Alien- no excuse because I've seen the rest
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Once Upon A Time In The West- I'm catching up on my westerns
6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) Forbidden Planet- I want to delve into some early sci-fi
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) The Searchers- never seen a John Ford western

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

7) Forbidden Planet- I want to delve into some early sci-fi

I know this is only because you haven't updated your reasons, but this made me giggle.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Mistletoe Donkey: you get Sci-fi epic Lawrence of Arabia

Watched Babel and it was pretty good but still felt a little lacking. The Japan sub-plot didn't really seem to fit in all that well, especially when the other sub-plots were pretty strongly connected, and this one only had a pretty tenuous connection to the others. Brad Pitt was pretty great, though.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
dotCommunism, watch Shoot the Piano Player. You love Truffaut and the French New Wave, but you haven't seen this? Does not compute.

To Be Or Not To Be was SHOCKING. I knew it was from 1942, but Jesus, it's like if someone had made a screwball comedy with Osama bin Laden as a major character in May, 2002. It's never outright hilarious by modern standards obviously, but it's very charmingly funny. Another solid movie.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

NEW 6.The Earrings of Madame de...- Good timing on this one, been meaning to see it for awhile and now it's got a Criterion release. Next highest that I haven't seen on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Brian Fellows - You get The Earrings of Madame de...

So I watched Shoot the Piano Player last night. I must say I wasn't expecting anything nearly as funny as it was.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game - Ok, I've seen Grand Illusion and a few other Renoirs but I haven't seen this one yet despite the fact it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dotCommunism, I'm gonna go ahead and say La Dolce Vita. It's a drat classic, and if anything, you should love the music.

I haven't participated in this thread yet, but it seems like it's about time. I now live just down the street from a kickass library with a huge movie selection.

Serpico: I have this OCD English major thing where I refuse to see movies unless I've read the book first. I finally finished the book about a week ago, and loved it. About time I saw Pacino's star-making turn.

The Thin Man: Similar to the above. I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

Memories of Murder: A discussion in the "recommend me" thread reminded me that I need to see this. I love, love, love a good police procedural.

Sisters: Another I saw at the library. To be honest, I feel I may have seen it, but it was years and years ago if I did and I don't remember. Big fan of DePalma's early horror stuff.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Rear Window: Even I'm not sure how I've gone without seeing this one.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

The Manchurian Candidate: My roommate's been giving me a lot of poo poo about never watching this one, and he owns a copy. I feel like I've seen a million parodies of it without actually seeing the movie itself.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

Faust (1926): I loved Nosferatu, and I loved Goethe's version of the Faust story, so this sounds right up my alley.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein, go see The Manchurian Candidate. It's worth it for Angela Lansbury alone.

I just finished MOON. It really wasn't what I was expecting, but Sam Rockwell delivers as always and he really did deserve some major award consideration, considering he's in nearly every second of the film. It's a minimal, haunting tale told in an engaging way, and it had moments of real heartbreak. I felt like the voiceovers at the very end were unnecessary, with radio transmissions about Sam's clone landing on Earth and telling his story, and probably added at the distributors insistence to "satisfy" audiences. I wish maybe this is a cycle that repeated itself every few clones, kind of like the Matrix, but it is early in the project's timespan so maybe (if the voiceovers are ignored) it does. Or maybe it's just a flawed system that only lasts a few cycles. Very thought provoking stuff, nonetheless.

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it felt long and was really depressing.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Tropic Thunder - the trailers didn't make it seem all that funny, but everyone has since told me how great the movie really is. I am curious just for Robert Downey Jr's performance alone.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I'm on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

I haven't seen The Birds in a long time but I remember it being very good. Better than Tropic Thunder at least, and that's the only other movie on your list that I've seen.

I watched Rear Window last night. The way Hitchcock puts you right there in that room with Jimmy Stewart, making you join in on the spying of his neighbors was downright creepy and brilliant. The different couples in the apartments showing the many possibilities that Stewart and Grace Kellys' relationship could end up as was a nice touch. A few weeks ago I watched Vertigo, and as far as the ending goes, I expected something dark, with either Jeff or Lisa dying. However, everything was wrapped up neatly, besides Lisa pretending to be interested in adventuring. I probably should have watched this before Vertigo. Oh well. I still really liked this movie anyway.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest - I think this is about a guy named MacGuffin who gets lost in a cornfield.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Atheistdeals.com, thanks for the recommendation. Have another Hitchcock in return, North by Northwest.

I just finished The Birds and even though it's been referenced a thousand times, it still got to me. Seriously, how do you protect yourself from so many aerial assaults? The image of the little girl being pecked in the back of the head by the seagull is cringeworthy, and the lack of score really makes the screeches of the birds even scarier. I loved the duality of the title "The Birds" between the actual birds and all the ladies in Mitch's life. And I love the non-ending ending, and Tippi's green outfit. This is one of my favorite Halloween costumes ever:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

5) Lady Vengeance - I've seen the other two films in the trilogy, and I even had this from Netflix for a while, but I never got around to watching it. I'd also add Thirst to this since I was unable to see it when it got it's very limited release here in the US.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I'm on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon, The Birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VorpalBunny you get one of the best films of the past decade, There Will Be Blood.

The Naked Spur just didn't do it for me. I think the script is pretty good, except for the ending, but the technicolor just didn't work for me here, it just makes everything look fake and cheap and messes with the visual depth of the shots. The acting also wasn't my style, feeling pretty stilted and uninteresting. I got to enjoy it a bit more as it went on and I was able to look beyond the stylistic problems, but the ending ruined any chance at true redemption in my eyes.

Updated list:

The War of The Worlds Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10