Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I dont care if they come back, ill download every game i bought previously and back up them all with the extras, because the only ones i saved in my HDD are Duke3d, Blood, Sensible Soccer 2006 and Two Worlds. I'd kill myself if i lose Redneck Rampage, Sanitarium and Outcast :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

From the Facebook group:

quote:

GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap.
The official statement from GOG.com's management about the whole situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.

So hopefully we'll get a retraction first thing Monday.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I love being locked out of content I paid for.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Methodis posted:

Yeah, even in the best case scenario here, and this is all an elaborate PR exercise/troll, then they've just proven that they can screw around with me whenever they feel like it, or just dissapear with the stuff I've paid for without giving me a moments notice.

Apparently that's well within their legal rights. It's also within my legal rights to never give them another penny ever again.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

My beloved Master of Magic :(

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Mithaldu posted:

Actually, compared to some alternatives they offer only a slightly superior product (always guaranteed seeds, basically) with a worse price (anything more than zero). They changed the previous point today.

At this point i honestly am not sure whether getting S3 storage for my abandonware might be better than to trust a company that is flat out lying to its trusting and good-willed customers.

Abandonware isn't legal, though. It's a victimless crime that you won't likely get busted for but it's still pirating.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Methodis posted:

I can just image them now, sitting on an exotic white beach slurping on their cocktails, handing out 15.000€ tips to half naked waitresses. All the while they are guffawing as they constantly remember each other about how much money they made with their brilliant scheme of reselling old games who's .exe files were simply set to run in compatibility mode.

I would have done it if I thought of it before them and you would've too!

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
If they do come back with all of the games updated with DRM, what are the chances that they offer a refund?

Guillermus posted:

I'd kill myself if i lose Redneck Rampage

lmao

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Abandonware isn't legal, though. It's a victimless crime that you won't likely get busted for but it's still pirating.

All of the stuff i bought on GoG i already have or had (thanks to failing data containers) as physical copy. I buy stuff on their site exclusively as an all-time-acessible backup and as a convenience accessor (faster than rifling throuch cd racks).

That's actually the only reason why i buy stuff on online retailers: I hate dealing with physical containers for data.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Elmo Oxygen posted:

If they do come back with all of the games updated with DRM

That won't happen, I would expect moreso that they're distancing themselves from being DRM-free so they can get content with DRM on their site, not to put DRM on old content.

e: Also if it did happen I'd say 0%

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Batham posted:

I can just image them now, sitting on an exotic white beach slurping on their cocktails, handing out 15.000€ tips to half naked waitresses. All the while they are guffawing as they constantly remember each other about how much money they made with their brilliant scheme of reselling old games who's .exe files were simply set to run in compatibility mode.

I would have done it if I thought of it before them and you would've too!

Say whatever you want, the fact that I can't go to GoG.Com right now, and play anything I paid for, and can't for the next week or two is unacceptable without prior warning.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

That's actually the only reason why i buy stuff on online retailers: I hate dealing with physical containers for data.

I actually switched to console gaming partly on this point. I want to have physical copies of my games, and I want be sure I can play them 15 years down the line. It's easier to secure a physical object than it is to secure data. Worst case scenario is that there's a house fire, insurance pays for everything, and I replace them with identical copies.

I've certainly lost more data for various reasons than I have physical objects. The main things I have to worry about are house fire and theft. I also have to worry about housefires and theft with digital stuff backed up to an external, plus insidious data corruption, lightning strikes, accidental deletion, malware...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Strangely, the gog.com favicon changed when the site was shut down. Something's definitely up here.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's easier to secure a physical object than it is to secure data. ... I also have to worry about housefires and theft with digital stuff backed up to an external, plus insidious data corruption, lightning strikes, accidental deletion, malware...
That's why i mentioned torrents and S3. Torrents give you as many backups as there are seeds. Amazon S3 gives you at least 400 backups for each piece of data you put on there.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

That's why i mentioned torrents and S3. Torrents give you as many backups as there are seeds. Amazon S3 gives you at least 400 backups for each piece of data you put on there.

Insidious data corruption isn't helped by offsite backups. Even if your offsite backup has versioned files, you might have accidentally backed up a corrupt copy 2 months before you noticed.

Torrents are a different story, though I'd consider being able to illegally procure a second copy less than ideal.

I might feel differently if I had ever been the victim of a break-in or a fire, but living in an adult household I almost never lose physical objects to accidents.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I actually switched to console gaming partly on this point. I want to have physical copies of my games, and I want be sure I can play them 15 years down the line. It's easier to secure a physical object than it is to secure data. Worst case scenario is that there's a house fire, insurance pays for everything, and I replace them with identical copies.

I've certainly lost more data for various reasons than I have physical objects. The main things I have to worry about are house fire and theft. I also have to worry about housefires and theft with digital stuff backed up to an external, plus insidious data corruption, lightning strikes, accidental deletion, malware...

So, you wanted things to last, and then switched to a system model that at best lasts for only 7-10 years before getting replaced? And 9 times out of 10 the new system can't play the older games? ( And the newer systems have a massive chance of failure, which they will probably stop fixing after they've released their new models? )

Not sure you thought this out very well. :colbert:

As for GoG, I really wonder whats going on over there. I have a feeling its something management related, but I doubt its just some stupid PR stunt. If it was a PR stunt, the site would have been much better decorated, the GoG guys have solid webmasters, this looks like it was just hastily put up at 3AM this morning or something, no preplanning at all. I actually thought they got hacked at first until I realized the Twitter and Facebook also said the same thing.

From the sounds of it, either they are going down for good, or they might be setting up a client similar to Steam/joining Steam/going out of Beta. Terrible way to word it though, and I'm curious as to whats going on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's it? Such ads are meant to attract people who don't usually play RPGs to the game, they're not intended for you so of course they look dumb. Considering that in the end the game sold well enough to get a sequel in spite of being an old-school Baldur's Gate-esque RPG I can't really complain.

Here is something a little more substantial. I believe the image and it's caption speak for themselves.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e8/e843bfaf05b10340ee26c26c48b02a3689098fd4.jpg

There also quotes like the lead writer for the game describing his vision for the Qunari as "Islamic Borg militants".

There are plenty more examples.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm glad I have a backup of just about everything I got from them. Hopefully they won't be gone forever.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
I only backed up about one third of the games i bought...

Now it's just waiting for that announcement tomorrow and hope for the best.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rookersh posted:

So, you wanted things to last, and then switched to a system model that at best lasts for only 7-10 years before getting replaced? And 9 times out of 10 the new system can't play the older games? ( And the newer systems have a massive chance of failure, which they will probably stop fixing after they've released their new models? )

Not sure you thought this out very well. :colbert:

There's no shortage of old game consoles out there. My copy of Symphony of the Night plays exactly the same way it did when it was first released. If my Playstation breaks, I'll just buy another for $20. I don't have to do anything special to get it working, just pop it in and play.

At the moment at least, sometimes there's still a level of pain involved with getting an old PC game to run. That's part of why GoG exists, to sell old PC games that just work on a modern OS.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Insidious data corruption isn't helped by offsite backups. Even if your offsite backup has versioned files, you might have accidentally backed up a corrupt copy 2 months before you noticed.

:psyduck: You can simply avoid this by testing the data you back up before you do. We're not talking about source code here. We're talking about wholesale copies of games. The only way these can get corrupted is by having a corrupted source, at which point you're already hosed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

:psyduck: You can simply avoid this by testing the data you back up before you do. We're not talking about source code here. We're talking about wholesale copies of games. The only way these can get corrupted is by having a corrupted source, at which point you're already hosed.

Do you test each one of your mp3s before you overwrite your previous backup? I don't. There's stuff I haven't listened to in six months that could be corrupt.

Files can be corrupted through any number of processes. I had a disk utility corrupt nearly every piece of media on my hard drive once, by adding junk data to the beginning.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Lame, I really hope they come back, I wanna play Outcast.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

We're talking about wholesale copies of games.

TOOT BOOT posted:

mp3s
:golfclap:

Seriously though: You rip the cd twice, compare the results, if anything looks odd, check manually. If you don't have the cd and the corrupted mp3 is the only thing you have, see:

Mithaldu posted:

by having a corrupted source, at which point you're already hosed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Seriously though: You rip the cd twice, compare the results, if anything looks odd, check manually. If you don't have the cd and the corrupted mp3 is the only thing you have, see:

A file can be fine one day and corrupt the next, through any number of processes that you don't notice immediately. Sometimes you end up overwriting the clean backup with the corrupted version.

For instance, by a disk that's failing, but still works.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'll never trust again, but maybe with time my heart will heal enough to allow me to move on.

You had to expect the service may one day go away. They don't allow you access for your life, but their life. If they had to close up shop, that is understandable (and probably written into their EULA when you agreed to pay them in the first place) but what they did would be a total dick move to just shut off service for everyone.

Luckily, as stated, you can access your files later. If they continue to allow that, then they held up their end of the bargin and then some. I'm interested to see what they have done, but I'm not really pissed or angry.

Most of you are not even playing these games anyway, just collecting them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

That is actually a pretty fair point.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
If they can't figure it out soon I think I will initiate a chargeback. I did not pay to rent these games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I'll never trust again, but maybe with time my heart will heal enough to allow me to move on.

You had to expect the service may one day go away. They don't allow you access for your life, but their life. If they had to close up shop, that is understandable (and probably written into their EULA when you agreed to pay them in the first place) but what they did would be a total dick move to just shut off service for everyone.

Luckily, as stated, you can access your files later. If they continue to allow that, then they held up their end of the bargin and then some. I'm interested to see what they have done, but I'm not really pissed or angry.

Also the whole point of the service being DRM free was that if you were smart then you wouldn't be effected by the service going away.

e: ^^ you paid for a DRM free download for the duration of the service and you got exactly what you bargained for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My guess is that they're just re-vamping the site. I definitely don't think they would suddenly just take down all their games, products that they both hosted legally and that people bought legally (not without huge backlash). Worst-case in my mind is that they no longer allow purchases, but allow people to access their purchases for download as long as they can host them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 19, 2010

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Industrial posted:

If they can't figure it out soon I think I will initiate a chargeback. I did not pay to rent these games.

Its not really their fault you didnt download the games you bought.
Unless you bought one right as the site went down I guess.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ you paid for a DRM free download for the duration of the service and you got exactly what you bargained for.

I don't care. If they aren't willing to give me 24 hours to download and back up my games, gently caress them.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

SpRahl posted:

Its not really their fault you didnt download the games you bought.
Unless you bought one right as the site went down I guess.

I've downloaded them, but I have a new computer on the way. Now I won't be able to play my games from this company on that computer.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Alchenar posted:

Also the whole point of the service being DRM free was that if you were smart then you wouldn't be effected by the service going away.

I actually didn't expect this service to last that long, so once I bought something, I backed everything up just in case. Now I'll never be without my old PC favorites of Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, and Redneck Rampage (and Kingpin but that was my youngest brother's idea, it was fun). :allears: A shame they never got Shadow Warrior, or Strife.

If their service comes back but has some kind of DRM, it'll just be a matter of whether they get more games I'm interested in.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Alchenar posted:

I was joking when I told people it might be going down and they should back up their own files, but I didn't get all my titles. Not even sure which ones I own now! Whoops!

But like I said, I'm sure it is in the EULA none of us read that they can pretty much do whatever they want.

I think we can hold off on the goon vengeance rage until Monday morning however, and give them a chance to say what is what.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Industrial posted:

I've downloaded them, but I have a new computer on the way. Now I won't be able to play my games from this company on that computer.

You can just copy and paste them across using a wide variety of methods.

e:^^ I'm pretty confident that at the least they'll follow through on letting everyone have a last shot at downloading their games again. There's literally no point in making that offer after you've already pulled the plug unless you are actually going to do it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Industrial posted:

What? The games don't have DRM so it means you can just move the install file to your new computer and install them.

Alchenar posted:

Or that.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I bought Beyond Good and Evil but hadn't downloaded it yet due to my ISP being lovely. I really hope they come up with a solution soon.

Sad to see the site go, though.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Industrial posted:

I don't care. If they aren't willing to give me 24 hours to download and back up my games, gently caress them.

OK but they have said that you will be able to do this at a later date.
Think of it this way would you be as pissed off as you are now if the site was temporarily taken down for maintenance or bogged down by traffic or something. I know its a very different situation but as long as you are given the opportunity to re download your stuff whats the problem its not like you need it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Alchenar posted:

e:^^ I'm pretty confident that at the least they'll follow through on letting everyone have a last shot at downloading their games again. There's literally no point in making that offer after you've already pulled the plug unless you are actually going to do it.

They will probably randomly take that away with no warning at a later date. I would rather just have my money.

SpRahl posted:

OK but they have said that you will be able to do this at a later date.
Think of it this way would you be as pissed off as you are now if the site was temporarily taken down for maintenance or bogged down by traffic or something. I know its a very different situation but as long as you are given the opportunity to re download your stuff whats the problem its not like you need it right now.

No, but that's really not a valid comparison. You (well not you really, they) are asking me to have faith in the goodwill of a company who just showed that, as a whole, they don't give a poo poo about their customers. I'm not going to do that.

I guess what I am saying is that my faith in their willingness to give me access to my games at a later date is very shaken by the way they have handled this. What's to stop them from pulling the exact same stunt again?

Industrial fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 19, 2010