Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aristobulus posted:

What. :psyduck:
This is seriously getting run into the ground. It's been a while since I've seen something with such a strong start taper off so quickly.

This is 4chan, their entire oeuvre is taking something marginally creative or funny and running it into the ground.

Not like us Goons, of course :iamafag::hf::razz: :frogout: :dealwithit: :smug: :nolan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is 4chan, their entire oeuvre is taking something marginally creative or funny and running it into the ground.

Not like us Goons, of course [bunch of emotes]

Well, like father, like son.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ez posted:

I'm a few pages late, but can somebody summarize the whole truth.rtf thing. I got a page in and was too bored to finish the last 6.

(Also, as someone mentioned a few pages ago, the second to last video did freak me out a bit because my name is Matt. That was a little chilling at first.)

I can't promise to write as good a summary as the others previously but here goes:

Hi, I'm Matt. I wrote a bunch of notes about how spooked I am by my haunted game cartridge I bought from some perverse old man, so feel free to download this file instead of googling it up on pastebin! Please download it. It's important! :shh: Please beLIEve me

OK ANYWAY you notice at some points I equip some items that only people who played Zelda would know about. They all mention TRUTH in their names ok fine you didn't play it gently caress you

This is the gist of my log: I AM SO SCARED BECAUSE OF GHOSTS :cry:

LOG:
Pervert is looking at me from under my window, geez.

Elegy of Emptiness statue keeps popping up everywhere incl. Macdonalds and my desktop.

All my videos are clear because it is a cartridge possessed by a :ghost: and not because it's video-edited with emulators!

NOW MY DREAMS HAVE STATUES GEEZ

Oh poo poo, computer just started talking to me through http://www.cleverbot.com/

:ghost: wants to be free ACTUALLY NO HE JUST WANTS TO SCARE ME oh god I am so scared please let me hug my mum I like my mum she is the only woman I ever loved

My windows logo is an elegy of emptiness icon. Microsoft Security Essentials why have you failed me.

Moon Children have maggots crawling out of their ORAFICES and they have sunken black eyes and yellow smiles that keep increasing and they like to play. Uh oh, Happy Mask Salesman is in my dreams too! Can you please stop telling me I've met with a terrible fate, I got it the last time you jumpscared me in that video.

GOD drat computer is now helping me upload my videos and loving up my descriptions. I specifically mentioned the MOON CHILDREN why would it delete it loving computer I hate you computer ok tell you what i'm going to youtube to edit it.

how the gently caress is youtube down

god drat it why is youtube still down

ok gently caress this i'm going to the library to use youtube

better bring this cartridge with me in case :downs:

Hey let's talk about matt.wmv! I can't repeat the telescope glitch because :ghost: is an rear end in a top hat. I decided to learn the Elegy of Emptiness song. Uhhh I guess you can see what happened in that video for yourself. :effort:

PS I don't have a roommate unlike the description of matt.wmv, :ghost: OooOOooOOooOOooOOoo!

Conclusion: :ghost: is a gigantic rear end in a top hat who preys on everyone's securities and makes you feel safe but would turn out to be that guy who put a roofie into your drink one night and you wake up with I AM MR GAY tattooed on your face. Actually not really, you'd get tattooed with an elegy of emptiness statue on your face.

SO TO AVOID GETTING :ghost: IN YOUR COMPUTER: don't download any of my youtube videos or anything based off it!

OH poo poo YOU DOWNLOADED THIS DOCUMENT. Oh well enjoy your ghosts.

Yours sincerely,
Zalgo.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma

A Quiet American posted:

Resident Evil stuff.

They also cut the diary from the original (with the grave after the second snake fight being where you found the final entry). There were cut nightmare sequences, too, and rumors about some super gun you could only find if you looked through certain boxes, boxes that had been cut.

I think I still have issue 2 of Powerstation around somewhere, and that had a lot of information in it. There was a lot that was taken out and a lot more that was completely made up.

I also had my bag torn open because I had a magazine detailing Lara Croft nude cheats inside it.

And the Zelda thing is just cheesy now. It seems the way with any initial success on the internet, though: "Oh, my first comedy song was popular? Best do five more!" "What? People like my drunken Superman sketch? Better make it a webseries!"

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
The Zelda story just keeps getting exponentially more overdone and less likeable. That's 4chan for ya.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
The Majora's Mask story is pretty lame, but if actually managed to put code in the ROM that somehow plants an image of the statue on your PC, or sets it as your background or something, that's pretty cool.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

SpaceBees posted:

The Majora's Mask story is pretty lame, but if actually managed to put code in the ROM that somehow plants an image of the statue on your PC, or sets it as your background or something, that's pretty cool.

He didn't. But it would have been truly frightening to close the RTF and see that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It'd also be pretty invasive and therefore not cool!

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

It'd also be pretty invasive and therefore not cool!

I'm pretty sure this is why the ROM got removed.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

SpaceBees posted:

I'm pretty sure this is why the ROM got removed.

I'm pretty sure that it would actually be impossible to do unless there was some kind of security hole in whatever N64 emulator you use to play it.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007

univbee posted:

The closest thing I've heard of as a similar concept was arcade cabinets of Street Fighter III and other CPS-3 Capcom games being encrypted and storing their decryption key on a chip rigged to a "suicide battery." Essentially the game's decryption key was stored in a way similar to NES games with battery backup, in a way that removing the encryption chip to be read elsewhere would break the connection to the battery and wipe the encryption key. This worked for a really long time (as in there were no bootleg cabinets of SF3), but some crazy dude spent a month on it a few years ago and managed to recover the key somehow, leading to Capcom CPS-3 emulation.

This is from a few pages ago but do you have any more info on this? It sounds really interesting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mt1 posted:

This is from a few pages ago but do you have any more info on this? It sounds really interesting.

Hi.

He doesn't tag his entries, but it becomes very obvious where the CPS3 entries end. Similarly, the guy he mentions in the last one who brute-forced the keys on CPS2 titles did some blogging about it over here.

(wait oh poo poo were you asking about the guy decrypting it in a month or the suicide battery itself, haha... I know I've read articles on the latter, lemme go find those again)

suicide battery info (especially Capcom's uses) can be found here and some random tech info and an unofficial CPS3 FAQ here.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 19, 2010

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

yaoi prophet posted:

I'm pretty sure that it would actually be impossible to do unless there was some kind of security hole in whatever N64 emulator you use to play it.

Well I heard that it was putting pictures of the statue on people's desktops..but it was probably a bunch of 4Chan idiots making poo poo up. It was dumb of me to believe it.

BEN! SPOOKY!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SpaceBees, you are so cute. You believe everything!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It was pretty much just among my friends from what I know, but in Super Smash Bros Brawl there's a whole hell of a lot of music. Among the songs included are two different Tetris songs. As a result there was a little speculation of there being a Tetris level, and some fun-sounding ideas on what one would be like. No dice though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SRM posted:

It was pretty much just among my friends from what I know, but in Super Smash Bros Brawl there's a whole hell of a lot of music. Among the songs included are two different Tetris songs. As a result there was a little speculation of there being a Tetris level, and some fun-sounding ideas on what one would be like. No dice though.

I... Now that you mention it, I think it is atrocious that something like this wasn't done.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

SRM posted:

There was a ton of music cut from the final release of Brawl: it may still be on the disc, I don't know. Its a shame because the music that cut was awesome. I honestly wasn't a fan of Brawl but the soundtrack was amazing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's not on the disc, and people aren't even sure if it was made and then removed or not made at all. I'd assume it's the latter. The only reference on the disc are some vague filename-like strings mixed with the rest of the song filenames.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Frankosity posted:

I think you basically just ended up fighting the embodiment of nihilism, considering the whole thing was kicked off by a psychotic narcissist trying to destroy time and space because he won't live fabulously forever, at which point the self-destruct mechanism for causality turns up and goes 'welp, guess everyone wants nothing after all, let's wrap this up.'

Sorry to bring this back, but from what I remember at the end of the Kuja fight, he kills you all using Ultima, which is why you are fighting the thing that processes souls. Then, you kill it, and presumably stop the process forever so people can just die or not die or something

FFIX is easily the best FF game, but that very final boss didn't make too much sense.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm not sure how Ultima comes into this. It's just an OH poo poo moment knowing that Kuja's juiced himself up with so much Trance power that he can use an iconic spell in the series renowned for being pretty much unbeatable, there isn't any indication that it has anything to do with the Tree. There isn't really much evidence for Necron being the non-material side of the Iifa tree, really, it's just basically a universe-level grim reaper who decides Kuja's hissyfit condemns sentience as pointless. It really is just out of nowhere plotwise, but it's still one of the coolest final bosses out of the FF games I've played.

I'll shut up now

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PJStelford posted:

I... Now that you mention it, I think it is atrocious that something like this wasn't done.

The biggest atrocity was Brawl getting released in the first place. :tipshat:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Frankosity posted:

I'm not sure how Ultima comes into this. It's just an OH poo poo moment knowing that Kuja's juiced himself up with so much Trance power that he can use an iconic spell in the series renowned for being pretty much unbeatable, there isn't any indication that it has anything to do with the Tree. There isn't really much evidence for Necron being the non-material side of the Iifa tree, really, it's just basically a universe-level grim reaper who decides Kuja's hissyfit condemns sentience as pointless. It really is just out of nowhere plotwise, but it's still one of the coolest final bosses out of the FF games I've played.

I'll shut up now

I wasn't implying the spell had anything to do with the tree, more that he kills you and himself when he uses it. Then again, it's been a LONG time since i've seen that fight so I might be imagining that. If i'm wrong then I don't care because it's a cool theory :smug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There was a game on the Amstrad CPC called "Meltdown". It was ridiculously hard to beat just like all games of that era, since they were usually only an hour or two long you had to pad them out by making them essentially impossible.
There was also a magazine that I can't remember the name of at all (Amstrad Attack? Something like that) that focused on Amstrad games and often had people mailing in about the big titles on the platform - like The Bard's Tale or Elite - and little hints sections for games like Meltdown.

I still remember that one day someone posted in that they'd finally, finally completed the game. To the magazine's knowledge they were the only one that had done it, as nobody in the office could complete the thing.
The last screen of the game, said the letter, was a phone number. The letter writer rang the number and the person who answered was the writer! Who I think was French, but I can't really remember any more. He told the letter writer that nobody else had completed it and he was really really glad to finally hear from someone who had.

Thinking this is an Amstrad game that probably had a circulation of about 1000, if that, the idea of him having his phone number at the end isn't too outlandish but I still wonder if it's true. And if you ring it now, does anyone answer?
Surely someone else has heard of this and can confirm it or deny it for me. Anyone?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Incorrect, you fight Satan at the end of some.

But he almost always turns out to also be God.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Thievery posted:

I wasn't implying the spell had anything to do with the tree, more that he kills you and himself when he uses it. Then again, it's been a LONG time since i've seen that fight so I might be imagining that. If i'm wrong then I don't care because it's a cool theory :smug:

Oh. Ohhhh! Yeah, I see where you're coming from now. I'm still gonna put it down to FF nerds making up batshit theories, though (RINOA = ULTIMECIA?!?!) :colbert:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

SpaceBees posted:

There was a ton of music cut from the final release of Brawl: it may still be on the disc, I don't know. Its a shame because the music that cut was awesome. I honestly wasn't a fan of Brawl but the soundtrack was amazing.

I was about to Google up the Lost Tracks that I recall downloading not long after those files were dug up. I had no idea it was just some fan made album based on the track names and not actual unused tracks on the game itself.

Windalgo
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like that silly BEN.wmv is still getting into mischief.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0XUnnOhMw

Another video?
:ghost: You shouldn't have done that

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Windalgo posted:

Another video?

Oh, come on! Really? Dark Link is in on this now?

This is going to end with a Smash Bros Brawl machinima, isn't it?

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
There is no point to this anymore. I'd argue that there hasn't been since the third video. /x/ is treating Jadusable like the next god of fiction literature, though.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma

Windalgo posted:

Another video?

I'm looking forward to the next one. It'll probably just be a close up of some character's face, but it will be soooo creepy.

This does have me kind of tempted to work on a slow-burn fake Let's Play thread, though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SRM posted:

You could theoretically make one. I think I made one with some blocks already in place and near the top one of those pressure sensitive falling blocks would drop into a gap. Works as a more vertically orientated level where you have to keep climbing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Tranax posted:

There is no point to this anymore. I'd argue that there hasn't been since the third video. /x/ is treating Jadusable like the next god of fiction literature, though.

4chan treats anyone who can string together a coherent sentence in the same manner as the apes from 2001 confronting the monolith.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
Welp!

http://www.youshouldnthavedonethat.net/

Basically, he's in college and doesn't have the a) time and b) money to continue this.

He should have just stopped after the video he came out with just before thetruth.rtf and left it up to people's imagination. I'm sure there's going to be people out there who think that this is still part of the game though.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
What an idiot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

I eventually introduced a "Link" to the viewers, with a second Youtube account, and my idea was to have him decide what kind of actions he'd take based on reponse videos. These response videos would require the user to boot up their own copy of Zelda and preform an action, not only making them feel more apart of the story, but directly in control of it. The viewers now served as Link's guide - or Navi as it was in the game. The main example of this is how Link is killed because of a bad video response on Youtube to a video put up by Jadusable (an incorrect song played). Link then posts a video on his account of the game over screen and nothing more. Yet not even 30 minutes later another user records a video - without any hints from me whatsoever - of him playing HIS Zelda game and releasing a fairy (which revives the player if killed) - which prompted me to revive Link and continue as him. This was only the beginning of what I originally had in mind - Link was the only person who could save our reality despite him being in a completely different dimension, but the players could dictate his actions. So in a sense, they were the guide, yet they were also the actual "player" controlling Link. I'm not going to reveal entirely what would have happened to the main characters or the plot, because I do intend to pick it up again some day and continue this.

What in the bloody hell.

He claims he's trying to get an agent to sell his tv show. I'm not incredibly aware of how television works but that doesn't quite strike me as realistic at all. "I wrote a story that scared 4chan, buy my show?"

VVVV to be incredibly fair to shitmydadsays, that form of comedy of "my dad is crazy and makes everyone around him cringes" is more probable to strike a chord with a tv audience, as opposed to some haunted game which most people wouldn't have played. I like video games but couldn't even be bothered to find out what an "elegy of emptiness" is. Why would the average tv viewer do that?

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 20, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What in the bloody hell.

He claims he's trying to get an agent to sell his tv show. I'm not incredibly aware of how television works but that doesn't quite strike me as realistic at all. "I wrote a story that scared 4chan, buy my show?"

It can happen. The @shitmydadsays twitter account is now a TV show.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Man the ghost story was decently cool but it's like he had 5 different stories in mind and it just went stupid as it progressed. It's seriously the most schizophrenic story I've heard and I played indigo prophecy.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What an exciting conclusion. If I were a cynic I'd think he was doing this for the many donation dollars he can expect to come flooding in from the fans.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Lucidphoole posted:

What an exciting conclusion. If I were a cynic I'd think he was doing this for the many donation dollars he can expect to come flooding in from the fans.
How dare you question his art/motives! I think it would've been funnier if he put in google ads but tried to hamfistedly work them into the plot. "Ghosts gotta pay rent too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I was really hoping he would have moved onto say, someone posting on his Youtube page how after downloading the TheTruth.rtf, the statue popped up when they were playing Bioshock. And then you'd see a video of a guy playing Bioshock, the statue being seen, and then the game crashing. You know, stuff like that. Keep it about videogame haunting/cursing/glitching.

But nooo he has to be a fan fic guy.