Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone know how well putting one of those desiccant filled metal trays behind your books on the shelf would work to help keep the humidity low? I know they use them in storage boxes but I'm not sure how well it would work in the relatively low air flow behind the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm starting an English Lit degree this month and would love to chat about the books and theories I'm studying with TBB folks without being accused of soliciting homework help. :ohdear:

Is this subforum the place for literary student chat, or should I get myself over to the academics subforum?

you could always use the HIGH LEVEL thread, thats where i'll be postin bout whatev im reading for classes

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

7 y.o. bitch posted:

you could always use the HIGH LEVEL thread, thats where i'll be postin bout whatev im reading for classes

Its a thread I've been hesitantly reading and feel stupider and stupider every time I open it. I think once I actually get into my course and start actively learning and advancing I'll be sure to jump back in :)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

7 y.o. bitch posted:

I'm seriously considering putting a "grammar and punctuation counts" clause in the rules. Seriously. :colbert:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
gently caress prescriptive grammar,

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Could a German speaker please help me translate a bit of what's on this page?

I just woke up from a dream where I was buried in snow with only my face showing, my great grandmother (died about 15 years ago) walked up and told me the only thing she regretted was not being saved by ______ and I think she said 'Don Feinen.' Google led me to that book, called God Blessed Thoughts and translates Don Feinen as fine don.

Do the words Don Feinen or Don Fine or Dawn Feinen/Fine ring any bells for anyone?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Maytag posted:

Could a German speaker please help me translate a bit of what's on this page?

I just woke up from a dream where I was buried in snow with only my face showing, my great grandmother (died about 15 years ago) walked up and told me the only thing she regretted was not being saved by ______ and I think she said 'Don Feinen.' Google led me to that book, called God Blessed Thoughts and translates Don Feinen as fine don.

Do the words Don Feinen or Don Fine or Dawn Feinen/Fine ring any bells for anyone?
The page has nothing to do with "Don Feinen". It's an older German script not in use anymore. The fragment of the sentence on the page you linked reads: ".../ dass von seinen Kinderen verwendet werde jener Schatz(?) der Verdiensten(?) / und Gnaden / so XXX das Blut des Göttlichen Sohns erkaufft(?) worden? /..." What Google reads as "don feinen" is actually "von seinen", meaning "of his".

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
First Google gets me lost near Gualala, now this.

Thanks for checking it out!

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Dr Scoofles posted:

Its a thread I've been hesitantly reading and feel stupider and stupider every time I open it. I think once I actually get into my course and start actively learning and advancing I'll be sure to jump back in :)

Mebbe there's a niche for a medium level thread, for almost real guys!

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

LooseChanj posted:

I'm seriously considering putting a "grammar and punctuation counts" clause in the rules. Seriously. :colbert:

I'm sorry LooseChanj, I usually post correctly here, but sometimes things slip!

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I post in that thread and I've got a 10th grade education. Believe in yourself :)

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Yeah, the thread is pretty intimidating. Certainly a good read, though... I just haven't had anything to contribute, and I figure a crappy post is worse than none at all.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm just finding that threat neat reading. Literary theory is something I'd like to know more about and I'm learning from what's there.

Tim Takdon
Apr 14, 2010

by Ozma

LooseChanj posted:

Why.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hi, everyone. Here's a thing:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350961

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Hey Book Barn I was just given a kewl complete (I think) set of Charles Dickens books and they are really old and I'm afraid to read them but I decided that I'm going to have a Charles Dickens December and try to read as many as I can and I'm pretty excited about it. Anyway I wanted to tell someone so I came here because I know that you would understand how I feel. Thanks for your attention.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Space Cooter posted:

Hey Book Barn I was just given a kewl complete (I think) set of Charles Dickens books and they are really old and I'm afraid to read them but I decided that I'm going to have a Charles Dickens December and try to read as many as I can and I'm pretty excited about it. Anyway I wanted to tell someone so I came here because I know that you would understand how I feel. Thanks for your attention.

Are they illustrated? My mum gave me an oldish set of all of Dickens books a few months ago, they stink to high hell of fusty dusty-ness but the lovely drawings inside make up for that. Go ahead and read them, thats what books want!

I'm reading Little Dorrit at the moment, so I'll be with you as you embark on your journey. I have set myself the goal of reading the whole lot sooner or later.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is there a thread about the Emberverse series by S. M. Stirling somewhere? Or just a general Stirling thread? In the past year or so said books have become one of my absolute favorite series, and I might be interested in discussing them with goons :allears:

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Dr Scoofles posted:

Are they illustrated? My mum gave me an oldish set of all of Dickens books a few months ago, they stink to high hell of fusty dusty-ness but the lovely drawings inside make up for that. Go ahead and read them, thats what books want!

I'm reading Little Dorrit at the moment, so I'll be with you as you embark on your journey. I have set myself the goal of reading the whole lot sooner or later.

I just looked inside one and they do have very nice color illustrations! They're good-looking books although in not the best shape - each one has its own slipcover and there's a different illustration on each spine

After looking over them they aren't a complete set, but oh well. The publishing information says that they're from the '30s. The insides are actually in good shape, I'm just worried about the binding falling apart!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Ohh they are nice! Much nicer than mine. I really wouldn't worry about the binding if you read them carefully. I have some books that are close to 200 years old and they still stand up to me reading and re-reading them. I guess if it is a worry then why not buy the cheapy penguin versions for readng and creasing and save these for occasional fondling?

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Yeah I already have a lot of them in cheapo paperbacks to be abused but I'm going to make Dickens December a very Special Occasion and read the fancy fancy books. It will be fun.

I went to the used bookstore today looking to pick up a couple of books and I ended up spending $50... which is a lot in used bookstore dollars :blush:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can also buy the Nonesuch Dickens which are really nice looking, illustrated, and not all that expensive.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was looking at an ebay description for a very old science book (think 1850s), and it mentioned having two black and white "plates." What are those?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

the posted:

I was looking at an ebay description for a very old science book (think 1850s), and it mentioned having two black and white "plates." What are those?
Usually means illustrations, could be a bookplate which is glued in to show ownership.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Plates are inserted photographs which are on a different kind of paper, because old printing presses couldn't handle images and text on the same page I guess.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What method of book purchasing puts the most money into the author's hands? Is there any difference between B&M, Amazon, eBook, etc?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

What method of book purchasing puts the most money into the author's hands? Is there any difference between B&M, Amazon, eBook, etc?

Really depends on the situation. If they are published with a small publishing house, then buying directly from the publisher would be best. If they are published by one of the giants, I don't think it really makes a difference.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
The Nobel announcement is set for next Thursday - time to start brushing up on your dissident authors. I am 100% certain that it will be Ko Un this year*, so I'll just go ahead and call it now.

*I say that every year, but it's going to look really impressive if he ever actually gets it. I mean, c'mon Nobel committee, he's a poet, a democratic activist, and his devout Buddhism is thrillingly exotic; you guys should be lapping this poo poo up.

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

inktvis posted:

The Nobel announcement is set for next Thursday - time to start brushing up on your dissident authors. I am 100% certain that it will be Ko Un this year*, so I'll just go ahead and call it now.

*I say that every year, but it's going to look really impressive if he ever actually gets it. I mean, c'mon Nobel committee, he's a poet, a democratic activist, and his devout Buddhism is thrillingly exotic; you guys should be lapping this poo poo up.

That seems like a pretty safe guess. Here are the Ladbrokes odds. It seems like a pretty thin field, although as an Australian I'm pleased to see Les Murray ranking so highly. And I love the fact that Bob Dylan is in there every year at 150 or 200:1.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

It's really about time Pynchon got one.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
Pynchon, Doctorow. Or Magris - he's one of a heterogenous group of Italian writers, some dead, with enormous talent between them. They might just give them a prize and call it Magris' prize.

rasser fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 2, 2010

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'd like to see Roth finally get one, but I'm starting to think that if he was ever going to, he would have by now.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The complete review guy has a pretty crazy rundown and analysis on odds of Nobel favorites:

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/archive/201009c.htm

He thinks it's going to be a poet over a novelist this time. I really don't think an American is going to get one anytime soon.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Can anybody suggest to me some good Chinese literature? I read The Three Inch Golden Lotus by Feng Jicai earlier this year, I really enjoyed it and I thirst for more. I'm more interested in books written by Chinese writers rather than books written by Westerners about Chinese life (they always seem to want to write about concubines and court politics, which at this point I'm sick to death of.)

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

I would recommend Soul Mountain pretty highly. It's a novel by the first Chinese winner of the Nobel for literature (Gao Xingjian), here's something I wrote about it in another thread:

Soul Mountain is the semi-autobiographical story of a writer's journey around China after a (false) diagnosis of lung cancer. It's basically a series of linked vignettes set in various places around the country (around 80 if I remember correctly, ranging in length from 2 to 20 pages). The most interesting and difficult thing about it is that the protagonist splits during the course of the story into four pronouns - 'I', 'you', 'he', and 'she'. The conversations and interactions between them are a bit mind-bending, since it's never entirely clear whether they're figments of the protagonist's imagination or independent characters, but I suspect this was a difficulty in the translation (apart from this and a few untranslatable folk songs, the translation is excellent). It's a difficulty read but well worth it.

I've just bought the first volume of The Story of the Stone, which is apparently a classic Chinese novel, although I suspect it may involve some concubines & court politics.

Also worth checking out is the Chinese Literature thread on the World Literature Forums, where people who are very widely read in that field give some recommendations:
http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/tags/chinese%20literature.html

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Can the videogame nerdfaces in that "books that define a generation" thread be probated or something?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Facial Fracture posted:

Can the videogame nerdfaces in that "books that define a generation" thread be probated or something?
As an obsessed game player with a video game avatar I have to agree with this. What a pointless debate.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Can someone recommend some good horror novels for October? I read The Fall and The Passage last week and have read 23 Stephen King books so I've missed a bunch.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Horror suggestions:

Shirley Jackson. She's best known for The Lottery or The Haunting of Hill House, but I think her best book is We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Richard Matheson. His short fiction is really great. His longer stuff is more hit or miss, and avoid Hunted Past Reason at all costs because it's total poo poo. You can't go wrong with any of his anthologies, though.

Thomas Ligotti. His books and stories have this weird, dreamlike kind of horror, his style is the kind of thing people either love or hate. Unfortunately they can be kind of hard to find.

Mira Grant's Feed. The idea of bloggers covering a presidential campaign during the zombie apocalypse sounds corny as hell. But this is actually a solid, fast-paced story about politics, paranoia, viruses, the news, and what people will do for power. And also zombies.

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula. This a follow-up to Dracula, if that book had ended with the Count winning. England's become openly infested with vampires, and famous characters from Victorian history and lit interact while hunting a serial killer. I typically hate recent takes on older characters, but I really enjoyed this book anyway.

Norman Partridge's Dark Harvest. It's about an isolated town with a bloody Halloween tradition. The writing style seemed very heavily influenced by older Stephen King stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't know if there's a "lost and found" for this subforum, but I need help identifying two books I read in middle school.

The first is a book about a kid who runs away from home and comes across a house (on a hill?) that has magical properties. There are other children living in the house and he is welcomed with treats and all sorts of goodies. Later we come to find weird things are happening and eventually the main protagonist leaves the house to seek out his parents, who have aged considerably since he left (although he stays the same age). I read this book in middle school and I remember my English teacher mentioning there were talks of a movie based on the book, but obviously they never came to fruition.

The other book I am striving to remember is about a boy who was (raised?) in a room where he was constantly "tested" with virtual "games". There is another girl in a room near him I think, which he befriends, and another child who is physically disabled. Together the three of them were raised to control a virtual army of soldiers to fight against another virtual army controlled by the enemy to decide who will control a piece of land. The soldiers are virtual because most of the world is radiated from nuclear fallout, although you don't really find out the purpose of their training until near the end I think.

If anyone remembers these books, especially the second one, I will be thoroughly impressed and very grateful.

Edit- Immediately after posting I found the title of the second book- Virtual War.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 6, 2010