Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hey guys, I'm totally going to drag my desktop PC (and all its wires and paraphernalia, as my laptop isn't ridiculous enough for some emulators) to my friend's house where my group of friends all conglomerate, hook it up to a TV and somehow to the sound system, and then go through a shitload of hassle to get multiple controllers all working and calibrated (separately for each emulator, in some cases. See Project64 and ePSXe) so that, a full 45 min- 1 hour later, after everyone's lost interest, we can settle down to have a jaunty romp through the old X-Men arcade game or play GoldenEye or NBA Jam or Twisted Metal Black, and reminisce about our childhood.

Yes, that is way easier than taking a single PS3 unit over, borrowing my friend's PS3's HDMI cable and power plug, resynching his controllers along with mine, and sitting down and playing the same poo poo within like 5 minutes.

Yeah, I totally don't see the utility of that. At all. Completely ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Hey guys, I'm totally going to drag my desktop PC (and all its wires and paraphernalia, as my laptop isn't ridiculous enough for some emulators) to my friend's house where my group of friends all conglomerate, hook it up to a TV and somehow to the sound system, and then go through a shitload of hassle to get multiple controllers all working and calibrated (separately for each emulator, in some cases. See Project64 and ePSXe) so that, a full 45 min- 1 hour later, after everyone's lost interest, we can settle down to have a jaunty romp through the old X-Men arcade game or play GoldenEye or NBA Jam or Twisted Metal Black, and reminisce about our childhood.

Yes, that is way easier than taking a single PS3 unit over, borrowing my friend's PS3's HDMI cable and power plug, resynching his controllers along with mine, and sitting down and playing the same poo poo within like 5 minutes.

You do realize that the PS3 can't do any of those things, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Xbox can though, and it's much cheaper than a new PS3.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
There probably won't be a huge homebrew base on the ps3 like the xbox1 or dc had.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mug posted:

You do realize that the PS3 can't do any of those things, right?

If you read just a few posts back he knows that but is expecting the PS3 to have that functionality in the future as long as he gets a 3.41 PS3 now.

r2x posted:

There probably won't be a huge homebrew base on the ps3 like the xbox1 or dc had.

Why not?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mantle posted:

If you read just a few posts back he knows that but is expecting the PS3 to have that functionality in the future as long as he gets a 3.41 PS3 now.

Why not?

This guy knows what's what. And they say Reading Comprehension doesn't exist on these forums...

Also a regular old X-Box can't play Twisted Metal Black. (a PS2 game) It also can't emulate the Dreamcast, as far as I know. I want my awesome version of Soul Reaver, dammit!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Also a regular old X-Box can't play Twisted Metal Black. (a PS2 game)

Good news!

Neither will the PS3.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Good news!

Neither will the PS3.

My current one already does. :colbert:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fuzz posted:

My current one already does. :colbert:

Cool! You up for some co-op RE5 right now? Oh wait. :haw:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Man, the PS4 will be out before the PS3 has anything resembling worthy homebrew.

(Oh, and playing ROMs for most of those old consoles is still technically illegal. :ssh: )

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Firmware 3.50 is now available.

quote:

Playback of Blu-ray 3D discs is now supported.
If you output video from this system using HDMI to a TV that supports 3D, you can enjoy intense 3D video content.

Not regular 3D. INTENSE 3D :pcgaming:

Also, this stuff, from the PS blog

quote:

* Facebook Integration: Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have more interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access public information on Facebook – including user name, profile, uploaded photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
* Grief Reporting Function: Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.

After install:
New background screen for the Playstation Store.
Grief reports are only for messages. No option to report bad usernames and vocal chats in XMB.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 21, 2010

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2
Updating now (still waiting for early store update...)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope GT5 has Facebook integration. What I really want is Twitter integration so the whole internet knows when I win a race, buy a car, or do anything really in GT5.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I'm having trouble hooking up my PS3 and was hoping someone could help. I recently moved my PS3 from one TV to another and I'm not getting any video or sound using the AV cable. It still works using my HDMI cable on my original TV.

What am I doing wrong here?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm having trouble hooking up my PS3 and was hoping someone could help. I recently moved my PS3 from one TV to another and I'm not getting any video or sound using the AV cable. It still works using my HDMI cable on my original TV.

What am I doing wrong here?

Need to reset your video settings. Hold down the power button until it beeps a couple of times.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh wow,the PS Store has a splash screen now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mantle posted:

r2x posted:

Why not?

Because with the Dreamcast all you had to do to play homebrew was absolutely nothing. For the PS3 you have to forfeit a good chunk of the console's functionality. That means less people are going to want to do it, which means less interest from people for it and less incentive for people to make it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fuzz posted:

You're already convinced what you want why did you even bother to ask?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're already convinced what you want why did you even bother to ask?

Because I was hoping someone would give me a GOOD reason.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Oh wow,the PS Store has a splash screen now.
Something different from the one it already had?

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2

gibbed posted:

Something different from the one it already had?

Didn't seem any different to me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah how long since you accessed the PSN? That splash has been there for a good year now I think.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Fuzz posted:

You could just buy any old shity netbook or nettop or even a modded xbox 1 and hook it up to your TV. Any of them will give you far, far more utility than some theoretical ps3 homebrew, but shine on you crazy diamond.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I never noticed the big blue screen of controllers and movie icons when you just leave it over the PSN Store icon. I guess I just go in the store too fast.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Fuzz posted:

You know that this actually sounds easier, faster and better than using a PS3, right? PC case, power cable and HDMI out. Couple cheap gamepads and you're all set, with already existing and easily usable emulators. Oh and most PCs have Digital S/PDIF out. :ssh:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

davebo posted:

Because with the Dreamcast all you had to do to play homebrew was absolutely nothing. For the PS3 you have to forfeit a good chunk of the console's functionality. That means less people are going to want to do it, which means less interest from people for it and less incentive for people to make it.

What about the xbox1? People had to forfeit online for homebrew and homebrew still took off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mantle posted:

What about the xbox1? People had to forfeit online for homebrew and homebrew still took off.

Online only meant playing games online. Online gaming on consoles wasn't really the big thing it is now and you could afford to not bother. Now not only is online gaming huge, consoles get patched with new features fairly often.

Chief problem I think is it's much too late for the PS3 to get involved. 360 and Wii both have established homebrew methods and the PS3 will need to go through a lot to catch up, I dont think it'll be worth the hassle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These days I can't imagine not having online for my PS3. Back then I was okay with homebrewing my Xbox. It was really no big deal, Xbox Live didn't offer anything really, there wasn't a big enough community for online play like there is now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I said come in! posted:

These days I can't imagine not having online for my PS3. Back then I was okay with homebrewing my Xbox. It was really no big deal, Xbox Live didn't offer anything really, there wasn't a big enough community for online play like there is now.

Yeah, I never got online with my Xbox once. Hell, back then I think I barely had just gotten broadband.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Ehud posted:

My wife just bought me a PS3 for my birthday because she is awesome. I want to pick up another controller so we can play together. The Sony branded controllers are pretty pricey. Are there any third party options that are less expensive but don't suck, or am I better off just biting the bullet on a $45 - $55 first party controller?

Oh and right now I've just got Little Big Planet. What other games would be good to play together? Castle Crashers looks like a good purchase that would be easy for us to pick up and play.

In general 3rd party controllers are bad and I wouldn't even consider them for the second controller. Maybe if you ever considered getting more than 2 as the third/fourth controllers will probably get a lot less use.

As for the second bit, it would help a little to know what your wife already plays/likes in terms of games, if she games at all. LBP is great so you're off to a good start. Scott Pilgrim is a ton of fun, I don't know how it compares to Castle Crashers though. Lumines and Critter Crunch are both excellent puzzle games. Rock Band is amazing but has a steep entry price. Definitely check out the Move titles too as I've found a lot of women I know take to motion controlled games much more readily than they do traditional controls.

My wife isn't really a gamer and for a while I wondered if I'd ever find something she could really get in to but lately she's been totally hooked on Critter Crunch and Scott Pilgrim, is stealing Rock Band drums from me all the time and keeps asking when LBP2 is coming out. It's nice :)

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Fuzz posted:

Well if you are wanting to do something NOW I would just dig through your local craigslist for someone selling a jtaged 360 which will do pretty much what you are looking for.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

2reachmu posted:

Well if you are wanting to do something NOW I would just dig through your local craigslist for someone selling a jtaged 360 which will do pretty much what you are looking for.

This is probably better than waiting for something that may or may not happen yeah.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
I've realised I adore fighting games and PC has gently caress all choice of current gen titles, but I don't want to shell out £250 for a new PS3, is there anywhere in the UK you can get a secondhand 80gb or so PS3 with a warranty for less than 150? Should I just get an Xbox 4gb for 150?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really want a white PS3.
Is there any downside to me buying a non-slim 40/80GB?
The hard drive can be replaced as in the newer ones and would I need more storage than that anyway?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Isnak posted:

I've realised I adore fighting games and PC has gently caress all choice of current gen titles, but I don't want to shell out £250 for a new PS3, is there anywhere in the UK you can get a secondhand 80gb or so PS3 with a warranty for less than 150? Should I just get an Xbox 4gb for 150?

People sell their used PS3's for $200 CDN here, which is less in UK pounds. No warranty usually though as they're older models.

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

Thanks for the great OP. I have been in grad school hell for the past two years and should find out on Thursday that I have emerged victorious. My present to myself was going to be an XBox 360, but for whatever reason I realized at about the last second I would rather play the PS3 exclusives over the XBox 360 exclusives (except for Dead Rising 1... *sigh*), and the BluRay player and keyboard/mouse control scheme are great perks.

Any tips for a new PS3 owner? I'm not sure if I'll get the 160GB or 250GB version... both seem like a crapload of storage. Any good bundles out there? I just happened to see that Wal-Mart is offering UFC Undisputed 2010 free with the 250GB version. How's Playstation Plus?

Edit: it looks like I can upgrade storage for cheap with off-the-shelf HDs, so maybe I'll just go with the 120GB.

Charlie Foxtrot fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

250 GB is massive overkill. I have 60 and never have to lament over what to delete, so unless you can get a good deal stick with 120.

For bundles theres so many out there it's sort of luck based on what your store just happens to have.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

How's Playstation Plus?

The general consensus is that if you happen to have 50 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you like buying useless poo poo on the store all the time, and being able to play demos a week earlier than everyone else, get it. If not, then congratulations! You just saved 5x:10bux: which you can instead use to (theoretically) gameshare $250 worth of PSN content, which is a bit of a stretch but certainly do-able if you start a new group where everyone throws down 50 bones upfront.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

250 GB is massive overkill. I have 60 and never have to lament over what to delete, so unless you can get a good deal stick with 120.
I don't know. I've used up most of my 250GB HDD on PSN games, disc-game install files, music and movies. If you plan to do any of those (and you will), then you might want to spring for the bigger HDD just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I had a 60 Gig and I quite easily filled it up pretty quickly. Game installs will quickly eat up space if you own alot of different games.

• Locked thread