Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Quarterly Prophet posted:

you must be new here too :(

FINE FINE A QUICK QUESTION YOU SAY

How many people around here go by first names in their shop? I make it an effort to use first names.

We had an O2 go around calling everyone by their first name, but he insisted we call him "sir". Fuckin Louie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Comradephate posted:

The only one I had to guess on was one asking what set lasers apart from other types of light, the answer being that all of the light is the same frequency.

What's "the" light? And why are they the same frequency, but not lasers?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wavelengths vs frequencies.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

revenance posted:

What's "the" light? And why are they the same frequency, but not lasers?

I meant wavelength. Good thing it's multiple choice because I am doubleplus unsmart.

In my defence, I was at work when I typed that. At work I try my best to shut my brain off so I don't want to kill myself.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 21, 2010

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Godholio posted:

Wavelengths vs frequencies.

Terms would be interchangeable for a question like that since they're inversely proportional anyway, still have no idea what he was answering though that would make all non-lasers have the same f or λ.

Comradephate posted:

I meant wavelength. Good thing it's multiple choice because I am doubleplus unsmart.

In my defence, I was at work when I typed that. At work I try my best to shut my brain off so I don't want to kill myself.

I still have no idea what the test actually asked...what was it? I'm a bit surprised that's on the ASVAB regardless, considering the average person who takes that test. I had to teach a guy who was an ELINTer by trade in the Navy for 5 years about wave properties, so if we can't expect people with professional training to know, expecting prospective enlistees to is a bit harsh. v:shobon:v

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I can't remember the exact question. The choices were Infared, Ultraviolet, All the same wavelength, or visible light, I believe. I think the upshot was to choose the one that was always true for lasers. (I know they make multi-wavelength lasers, I guess the asvab doesn't.)

The paper test has a wide spread of difficulty. There are questions to make sure you can actually read/tell the difference between a mammal or amphibian, all the way up to higher HS science questions.

Incidentally, the one I took also had a question asking which one of these choices lays eggs.
E: And it wasn't anything "tricky" like platypodes, either. one of the choices was a giraffe.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Comradephate posted:

I can't remember the exact question. The choices were Infared, Ultraviolet, All the same wavelength, or visible light, I believe. I think the upshot was to choose the one that was always true for lasers. (I know they make multi-wavelength lasers, I guess the asvab doesn't.)
All those answers are directly affected by wavelength and none are always true for lasers...I give up, use this.:) Lasers can theoretically be any frequency or wavelength along the EM spectrum.

quote:

The paper test has a wide spread of difficulty. There are questions to make sure you can actually read/tell the difference between a mammal or amphibian, all the way up to higher HS science questions.

Incidentally, the one I took also had a question asking which one of these choices lays eggs.
E: And it wasn't anything "tricky" like platypodes, either. one of the choices was a giraffe.

Yeah, it's definitely not a hard test, I don't even recall anything beyond freshman year HS stuff in there, so physics seems out of place. Don't take this as a knock on you, just drawing a comparison here, but you seem reasonably intelligent yet you don't realize that either your answers or the question can't be true based on the relational properties so someone from a shithole state and a shithole school system would have an even bigger problem with questions like that.

Questions like that would be a good thing if the ASVAB wasn't so irrelevant once you score over a 60 anyway, since that already unlocks 90%+ of jobs. Maybe an ASVAB II for those that score 90+ featuring actual hard poo poo for the better jobs would incentivize people to do better, instead of not caring that you miss the random sampling of stuff meant for the non-retards.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I agree completely, as it is now, its a waste of 3 hours. While I'm not certain of the question, it was definitely about lasers, and ultraviolet, infrared, and same wavelength were choices. I made my best guess for the 4th choice, and the question.

No offense taken, physics is a weak point of mine. My AP physics teacher in HS was terrible, and I was a terrible student, and that was pretty much the end of my physics education, leaving my knowledge of the subject fairly limited. In hindsight, the really tragic thing is that my high school is/was (apparently) relatively good, but I still ran out of math and science to take halfway through my junior year, and only had two teachers that really taught me anything. I shudder to think what a bad school would be like.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 21, 2010

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alright I am to lazy (stupid) to search past the first page for this one.

What civilian college will give me the most credits for my military education/experience?

I am a SGT active duty 25S with 7 years in, I have WLC and a handfull of other classes.

Help me make my 6, I need more points.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

FullFrontalRmann posted:

Alright I am to lazy (stupid) to search past the first page for this one.

What civilian college will give me the most credits for my military education/experience?

I am a SGT active duty 25S with 7 years in, I have WLC and a handfull of other classes.

Help me make my 6, I need more points.

I was a 25S and while I don't know which one will give you the most I used Pierce College. http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/dist/military/ I received roughly 48 credit hours for electives for my military training. Keep in mind most colleges require you to complete a class or two before you can get transcripts. Have you maxed out military education?

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sat down with a recruiter and pissed at MEPs 3 days later, I was surprised at how fast that went. Recruiter had an email in my inbox before I even got home telling me when the MEPs was scheduled. Not that I was worried, but drat what if someone was interested and had smoked or something? popping hot would kill your chances

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Generally speaking if you're going to pop hot you should tell your recruiter. The ones at my station always asked you if there 'might be' 'some reason' why you wouldn't want to take the drug test anytime soon, quite a few kids fell into the 'er, yeah...probably wait a couple weeks' category.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't even know what MEPs was or anything, I'm not from a military family nor do I know anyone my age in the service. I figured sooner or later they'd drug test you. My recruiter was like "go here, this time" and I realized it was a medical thing about an hour later

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My recruiter asked me how long it'd been since I smoked dope. Then he asked me how much dope I'd smoked, and whether or not I smoked the good poo poo or the crappy [HOMETOWN REDACTED] stuff. I failed two or three tests at my recruiter's station, it actually prolonged the process quite a bit. I think it took me about 15 days to get it all out of my system after smoking about a gram a day for a couple years straight. The army already knows about all of this so I don't care to post it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this was in '08 before the collapse of the mighty American economy. The army was still hurting for people and doing everything it could to get people in no matter what. Retention being what it is your mileage may vary.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry

Vile posted:

I didn't even know what MEPs was or anything, I'm not from a military family nor do I know anyone my age in the service. I figured sooner or later they'd drug test you. My recruiter was like "go here, this time" and I realized it was a medical thing about an hour later

Whether or not your recruiter gets to eat next month depends on if he gets you slotted into the shittiest job he's got right now; once he's got you on the bus to MEPS his job is done. No guff on him if you piss hot at basic training; he already did his job.

The recruiter is a used car salesman of the worst kind and he is there to gently caress you. Play hardball with this motherfucker. No, you are NOT so desperate as to take a rating or MOS or whatever that has you eating the poo poo caking the walls of a latrine in The Middle of Buttfuck, Nowhere. He's trying to gently caress you. Remember this always.

But at the same time he has to get a certain number of bodies into the service per month. Remember: Admit to everything bad you've ever done. Never think it's not going to pop up exactly 19 years and 364 days away from retirement. It will.

Stand fast on your desired job in the military. I tried to get shanghied into being a loving weatherman, and then a nuke. Both fine jobs, yes, but I wanted neither. I held out for the poo poo that I really wanted.

Grease this fucker. Make him work for your enlistment. Don't cut corners for his sake or yours. If he starts acting like he doesn't need you after all, that you're just another goddamn stupid kid and he's got plenty of others lined up waiting to take your place? BULLSHIT.

He needs you. He needs you so bad. Make him work for it. Make him squeal. Make him put on a loving dress and dance for you. Don't think he won't.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm applying for OCS... so the recruiter isn't THAT shady. I went into a enlisted recruiter first to get info about applying officer and he was definitely 'used car salesman' status.

As for the record, luckily I'm pretty spotless. No misdemeanors, speeding ticket from before I was 18, paid a few fines at school for various things that were pretty minor like shared hall damages and some safety violation in the frat.

With the whole drugs thing, i checked 'yes' because I tried pot and put my use down as experimental. I don't know how they would ever find out but i figured if they don't take me (decent gpa from a mini-ivy, great letters of rec) over smoking pot, gently caress it I'll just work in the private sector

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Because you're applying for OCS, you will be lucky to avoid the opposite problem: recruiter lethargy. Figure out who your processor is and rely on him or her, there is a good chance they will be much more useful than the recruiter.

For example, I'm going to OCS in less than two weeks, and my pre-ship PFA has yet to be scheduled...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Theonlydk: Oh yeah, I have military ed and awards maxed out, working on maxing PT and weapons qual. Civilian ed is the only thing I need to get going with. I'll check out that link and see what I can get from them.

There was a school that basically gave us a degree for the military credit I just can't remember the name of it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cheezymadman posted:

Apologies for my second Generation Kill -related post in this subforum, but TV IV doesn't seem to talk about it at all. I doubt they'd know the answer anyway.

Are senior enlisted Marines somehow higher up the perceived chain than officers? The whole show, Gunny Griego (Casey Kasem) treats LT Fick like a subordinate, and Fick only acts like an officer (in regards to the Gunny) once. The Gunny is the company's Ops Chief, does that put him superior to a platoon commander, regardless of rank? Or is it because he's on Encino Man's hip constantly, and therefore beyond reproach?

Clearly I know nothing of in-practice rank structure, but I was under the impression that any officer outranks any enlisted, no matter what.

In that particular instance, it was mostly because they were presenting Fick as squared away and the gunny as a piece of poo poo who was essentially worthless and detrimental to the mission, while Encino Man was loving incompetent. If that's actually how poo poo was going down and I was in Fick's position, I'd have had no problem eating Kasem's lunch either.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LonsomeSon posted:

Generally speaking if you're going to pop hot you should tell your recruiter. The ones at my station always asked you if there 'might be' 'some reason' why you wouldn't want to take the drug test anytime soon, quite a few kids fell into the 'er, yeah...probably wait a couple weeks' category.

I was one of these. He just laughed, and scheduled me to go a few weeks later. It was right after 9/11, so they pretty much took anyone at that point.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

revenance posted:

Terms would be interchangeable for a question like that since they're inversely proportional anyway, still have no idea what he was answering though that would make all non-lasers have the same f or λ.
Lasers are coherent light. You can have a normal light that's all one f/λ; the difference is that in a laser, the waves are all perfectly in phase.

I expect every prospective recruit reading this thread to get this question right on the ASVAB :colbert:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Can tuition assistance pay for non-college off duty education? Like language lessons and poo poo like that? Im taking Farsi right now and its kinda expensive, would be nice for the government to pay for it.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

grover posted:

Lasers are coherent light. You can have a normal light that's all one f/λ; the difference is that in a laser, the waves are all perfectly in phase.

I expect every prospective recruit reading this thread to get this question right on the ASVAB :colbert:

:woop: Nobody believed me when I said your engineering background was going to contribute to this forum, but I totally learned something! Thanks, grover!

quote:

Can tuition assistance pay for non-college off duty education? Like language lessons and poo poo like that? Im taking Farsi right now and its kinda expensive, would be nice for the government to pay for it.

YMMV depending on service, but in the AF it has to go towards a degree program, and must be higher than one you've already obtained. Knowing you though, you could use your TA for a GED. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AF TA doesn't have to go to a degree program. There are restrictions, but it's not that strict. I know several people who got a PPL, or various IT certifications on the AF's dime.

Edit: VVV No idea. But I had a friend wrap up some IT cert program last year while deployed, and several people I went through UABMT with were smarter than me and got their PPLs during training. To this day I kick myself for not doing it. I was way too paranoid about flunking out and ending up in personnel or SF or something.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 28, 2010

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Godholio posted:

AF TA doesn't have to go to a degree program. There are restrictions, but it's not that strict. I know several people who got a PPL, or various IT certifications on the AF's dime.

Hmm...it says you need a degree plan on record, so does that mean you just need one but the courses you take don't necessarily have to do with that degree plan?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Quick question, what do you think of the Corps of Cadets, specifically Texas A&M's Corps. It seems like a giant loving excuse to play military and not join because only 42% get commissioned.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Or it just gives people a chance to try out a military experience without committing.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Or it just gives people a chance to try out a military experience without committing.

Really? With poo poo like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOgN-4QnZ4

They actually have a REAL ROTC besides this.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Pretty much like the real military!

Also from #milgoons:

[21:25] <%Sean_Miller> this is me, 5yrs ago or so
[21:25] <%Sean_Miller> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xe36lnWvaQ
[21:25] <%Sean_Miller> the lil white kid
[21:25] <&xaarman> not apprporiate

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Not appropriate as in you can't view it without a YouTube account you dumb ox.

edit: Hi Slippery

xaarman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 1, 2010

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
ooooh, dis.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Is there any way I can convince the military to pay for flying lessons? I would love to give it a shot, but $$$. Comedy option of becoming a military pilot already considered.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Is there any way I can convince the military to pay for flying lessons? I would love to give it a shot, but $$$. Comedy option of becoming a military pilot already considered.

Wouldn't TA cover that? I'm not sure but I would at least check into it.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Slippery posted:

Wouldn't TA cover that? I'm not sure but I would at least check into it.

I was looking at it last week, and it didn't seem like it:

quote:

Can I take courses for a Pilot's license?

TA is not authorized for flight time fees, flying lessons, or non-accredited aviation classes.

Maybe I just need to find some accredited aviation classes? I don't know how it works. :shobon:

edit: Slippery you're an officer in the AF you must be able to pilot stuff it's gotta be in your blood hook me up man

Quarterly Prophet fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 3, 2010

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I was looking at it last week, and it didn't seem like it:

Maybe I just need to find some accredited aviation classes? I don't know how it works. :shobon:

edit: Slippery you're an officer in the AF you must be able to pilot stuff it's gotta be in your blood hook me up man

Hey I can find out for sure, although maybe it's only good for ground school?? Sorry I never thought about flying so I don't know.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Slippery posted:

Hey I can find out for sure, although maybe it's only good for ground school?? Sorry I never thought about flying so I don't know.

Listen just slip the keys to a Raptor come on man we're goon brothers.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Slippery posted:

AF will pay for a one-time certification on something. Aviation ground school counts, to get your FAA flying certificate. They won't pay for your flight time though, I've looked into it :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

AF will pay for a one-time certification on something. Aviation ground school counts, to get your FAA flying certificate. They won't pay for your flight time though, I've looked into it :(

Truth.

Also, get your ground school done while you're at Tyndall. No matter how paranoid people get, you're not going to flunk out because of it. If you flunk Tyndall, you were going to flunk anyway. Might as well get something out of it. Not doing the GS course while I was there is still the largest regret of my career.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
If there is a typical day for a infantry dude any branch while he is not in a combat zone, what does it consist of? Do they do target practice everyday or just PT every morning then peace out but every Monday/Wednesday/Friday they do more stuff? Obviously other jobs have specific stuff to do during the day, but what does infantry do all day?

As a civilian I have always wondered what the hell they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

just PT every morning then peace out

Bahahahahaha. No.

Mileage varies depending on your unit but when I was in we would show up 30-45 minutes prior to PT, wait, do PT, go to breakfast, come back and either read field manuals to each other or endlessly repeat notional battle drill lanes until lunch, then leave for lunch, come back, and then talk about going to the gym to lift weights but instead sit until about five or six in the PM doing more literal nothing until the officers finally finished whatever they were doing.

When you think "What could they possibly be doing all day? I can't think of anything." it's because there's not anything. At all.

• Locked thread