Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Stop posted:

I just applied to law schools. Please tell me how I'll die along and jobless TIA.

You will die along and jobless. Probably. What sort of LSAT/GPA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stop posted:

I just applied to law schools. Please tell me how I'll die along and jobless TIA.

How strange... this isn't application season.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 29, 2013

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Stop posted:

It started September 15th I think

178/3.75 with a horrid but employable major as a back-up

oh man there's no way they're going to accept you with those figures. Have fun wasting away in some east coast tttoilet school.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Stop was in the previous thread and he was either not an idiot, or he was a similar troll to Izzy. But I can't remember which, I don't have archives.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 30, 2013

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Stop posted:

those are good where'd you apply

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stop posted:

Which major? And are you sure it will still be employable if you become a lawyer?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

have fun at yale. or its little brother harvard

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Tetrix posted:

have fun at yale. or its little brother harvard

i heard harvard kids are better at scrubbing toilets, but yalers shelf-stack like no other

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 15, 2012

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Linguica posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/law/comments/dh1jh/confused_1l_contemplating_withdrawing_2l_3l/

choice responses:

[don't quit 'cause it's free]

That's what I thought when I was in the exact same situation. I was reluctant about law school in the first place, but I aced my LSATs, and my there was a lot of pressure for me to go. I got offered a scholarship to a T3 school and I decided to just go, since I wasn't going to get into debt and I thought it would help my career no matter what.

It probably depends on what you ultimately want to do, but for me I really think those three years would have been better spent on work experience in my field (writing/editing) as at the time I went into law school getting jobs wasn't nearly as difficult as it is now. I thought my law degree would help get me jobs, and would open up legal writing jobs that might not otherwise be available to me. Turned out, every legal place I applied had their pick of T1/T2 grads that didn't get offers at big firms and wasn't interested in me.

In the end it was the connections I had made previous to going to law school that got me first freelance work and then a full-time job. It was really a kick in the pants to discover that I made the same amount of money in my first year of writing content for high school textbooks as I had in my first year working at a law firm. Even though law school was no money out of my pocket, I was still out the time, work experience and salary I would have gotten had I just worked.

Sometimes it makes me sad to think that my salary hasn't really increased that much over pretty much my whole career, but if I would have just stuck with my very first job and kept to one career path I would probably be a vice-president of something and be making three times as much as I make. Oh well. I was always told to chase your dreams and all that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stop posted:

Its accounting so i'm relatively confident i can get a job if people fail to notice that i'm surprisingly terrible with numbers.

How'd you graduate with a 3.75 in accounting while being terrible at numbers? I should have majored in accounting, what a deal

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Frantick posted:

Sometimes it makes me sad to think that my salary hasn't really increased that much over pretty much my whole career, but if I would have just stuck with my very first job and kept to one career path I would probably be a vice-president of something and be making three times as much as I make. Oh well. I was always told to chase your dreams and all that.

You ought to be sad because you might be a lover of money, rather than honour. Weep for the three years given up to academia, because it is a sacrifice nobody should have to make. Having a sook because your pay cheque might have been larger, though, is just sad in and of itself.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2012

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Stop posted:

Grade inflation (designed by school so our graduates can actually get jobs), 3.3 curve, and classmates who are terrible with numbers.

Oh yeah and prerequisite business classes

Look, if you want to do criminal work or deal hands on with moral issues in general, then go to law school. Otherwise, don't go. Simple. It's a sad fact that many states require people to attend law school in order to work as a lawyer; one doesn't go to law school because attending the school is a good idea in and of itself. If you are a lover of money, then go do something else, because lawyers aren't the highest paid people, and even those that do make a precious penny are overworked and literally sell themselves as mildly intellectual slaves.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Stop posted:

Where are you applying?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 30, 2013

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Stop posted:

I applied to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Cal, Chicago, and Duke.

Kinda hoping for the Bay Schools since I grew up there

Have fun at Stanford / Cal. You would have been a probable admit at Yale if you'd applied there, too.

Also be ready for half of your classmates claiming they want to do public interest but ending up in biglaw.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

oh hey i found one i can do

job posting posted:

As a law firm that represents cutting edge clients in a variety of industries, including media, entertainment, technology, publishing, visual arts, and gaming, (firm) is looking for an individual who has an obsession with social media and cutting edge legal issues, particularly in the area of intellectual property, as they relate to the firm's practice areas.

Initially, the Social Media Director will identify and research all angles of at least 2 new/engaging legal issues per week; draft synopses of those issues; discuss the issues with the managing member of the firm; and submit 2 tweets which correspond to those issues to the managing member of the firm for approval. Dry wit is a strong plus.

This position is open to applicants from any location as the work can be done remotely.

Please submit a cogent synopsis of a legal issue related to social media as a writing sample.

Location(s)
Nationwide
Country
United States
Practice Area(s)
Corporate Securities, Entertainment & Sports, Intellectual Property

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009
Dry wit is a strong plus.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stop posted:

I want to be a legal aid attorney lol no troll

Apply to Yale. You might not make it, but it is the only one where everyone gets jobs.

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

You ought to be sad because you might be a lover of money, rather than honour. Weep for the three years given up to academia, because it is a sacrifice nobody should have to make. Having a sook because your pay cheque might have been larger, though, is just sad in and of itself.

At one time I considered going to law school, but then I reconsidered because I would be surrounded by people that say things like this.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Draile posted:

You would have been a probable admit at Yale

Yeah, no.

From Yale's Dean of Admissions blog:

quote:

There are roughly 50-80 applicants each year who are "presumptive admits" and who bypass the three reader process. Instead, they are reviewed by myself and a a faculty member who serves as the Chair of the Admissions Committee. These are students who are truly outstanding in every way, not just scores -- again, we are trying to fill the class with interesting and well-rounded students, not just students who can take tests well! It's hard to articulate what places a student into the presumptive admit category, so I'll just borrow Justice Potter Stewart's view: I know it when I see it.

Translation: about 25%-40% of admittances each year are autoadmits because of fame / accomplishments (presumably: Dibbell '13, Kwak '12), and so really only the remaining 60-75% are actually 'up for grabs.' And while yeah, numbers are important, they're less important at Yale because it's Yale.

Point is: unless you're insanely accomplished / well connected / etc you're not an auto or even probably admit at Yale, I don't care what your scores and grades are.

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 24, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Babysnakes! posted:

At one time I considered going to law school, but then I reconsidered because I would be surrounded by people that say things like this.

that's the sort of attitude for a ploughman. society needs its labourers, but let's not pretend it's anything less than shameful when somebody like you starts opening his mouth more than necessary. better seen not heard and whatnot

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 24, 2010

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

that's the sort of attitude for a ploughman. society needs its labourers, but let's not pretend it's anything less than shameful when somebody like you starts opening his mouth more than necessary. better seen not heard and whatnot

no u

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Stop posted:

I want to be a legal aid attorney lol no troll

I dig Cal and I got a job and I'm terrible with numbers AND words so maybe it's a good deal for you. Plus if you grew up, in-state tuition. I'm pretty sure they'll match schollys at all those schools you listed so when Duke offers you money make sure you hit up Boalt admissions and let them know.

EDIT: Also if you really do want public interest the loan repayment here is relatively good or so I hear. Lemme know if you ever want to get a more in-depth student's perspective, happy to help.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 24, 2010

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Draile posted:

Have fun at Stanford / Cal. You would have been a probable admit at Yale if you'd applied there, too.

What? No. Don't say stuff like this if you don't actually know. Those aren't Yale numbers. He has a shot at Yale, but probably wouldn't get in. And he's only a maybe at Harvard and Stanford. Stanford is also pretty grade-heavy so his chances at Harvard are probably better. He has a very good chance of not making it into HYS altogether. The GPA is a little low for those schools.

No more "Have fun at Yale/Stanford/Harvard" posts unless you know what you're talking about please, it's annoying (if I missed the part where he said he's a URM, I apologize).

Edit: Also Petey I think you mean admittances instead of applicants.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 24, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

What? No. Don't say stuff like this if you don't actually know. Those aren't Yale numbers. He has a shot at Yale, but probably wouldn't get in. And he's only a maybe at Harvard and Stanford. Stanford is also pretty grade-heavy so his chances at Harvard are probably better. He has a very good chance of not making it into HYS altogether. The GPA is a little low for those schools.

No more "Have fun at Yale/Stanford/Harvard" posts unless you know what you're talking about please, it's annoying (if I missed the part where he said he's a URM, I apologize).
That doesn't mean he shouldn't apply.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

Edit: Also Petey I think you mean admittances instead of applicants.

Unless the ranges have gone way up in the last few years, 178/3.7 will almost certainly get into Harvard, and Stanford and Yale are both good shots that are worth applying for. My bet would be Stanford.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

(if I missed the part where he said he's a URM, I apologize)

He is black if I remember correctly. So he can go to law school on the surface of the sun with those grades, if he so desires.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2012

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Stop posted:

I'm Korean lol so not URM

I really need to buy archives so I can verify my facts :(

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Chakron posted:

I really need to buy archives so I can verify my facts :(

look at this noob who doesn't keep lawgoons.xls updated :rolleye:

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Passed written cop test. Physical test next week, should be simple. Shitload of paperwork to fill out.

Oh I want out so bad.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

MoFauxHawk posted:

Looking at top-law-schools, I think you're right about Yale, which has a 3.82 as its 25th percentile and is a few tenths higher than I thought. A 3.75 will be tough to compete with even with an LSAT well above the 75th percentile (176).

The 3.75 is also little low for HS but I think 178 compensates for it. The LSAT is weighed higher than GPA and at the upper extremes of the scale even minor changes in score drastically improve positioning relative to other applicants. In particular, Stanford's 75th percentile is only a 172, which is the 98.6th percentile on the exam; a 178 is in the 99.9th according to http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/lsat-score-conversion. That 1.3% is a big difference when lots of top students with similar numbers are applying.

I think he's safe at Cal since he's well within GPA range and well above LSAT range. The only real wrinkle there is that Cal is more GPA-intensive than other schools, but again I think his superior LSAT makes up for it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Agreed. Make them reject you, Stop.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chakron posted:

law school on the surface of the sun

I applied to every single top 40 law school (except Yale) and I don't remember seeing Sol School of Law but god drat I would have gone to that. I'll bet they have a fantastic energy law program.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

entris posted:

I applied to every single top 40 law school (except Yale) and I don't remember seeing Sol School of Law but god drat I would have gone to that. I'll bet they have a fantastic energy law program.
Only problem is that it's got a reputation as a bit of a diploma mill, every year it gives out 6,000 degrees :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

He should absolutely apply, I agree.

zzyzx posted:

Unless the ranges have gone way up in the last few years, 178/3.7 will almost certainly get into Harvard

Draile posted:

The 3.75 is also little low for HS but I think 178 compensates for it. The LSAT is weighed higher than GPA and at the upper extremes of the scale even minor changes in score drastically improve positioning relative to other applicants. In particular, Stanford's 75th percentile is only a 172, which is the 98.6th percentile on the exam; a 178 is in the 99.9th according to http://www.alpha-score.com/resource...ore-conversion. That 1.3% is a big difference when lots of top students with similar numbers are applying.

That's the thing, Harvard's and Stanford's ranges have gone up in recent years. Harvard also has a new admissions dean who seems to be less into 178+ LSAT scores than Toby Stock was. I'll go into this on the condition that people don't get nasty and say I must have been a lovely applicant. I applied with numbers slightly better than his, LSAC 3.77 and 179, and I was dinged at Yale and Stanford and waitlisted with no acceptance at Harvard. For a couple years people were telling me I was absolutely guaranteed to get into Harvard, even if I completely hosed things up.

I'll admit that I did a few things that must have hurt my application in Harvard's eyes, and while I had interesting and varied soft factors, I didn't have anything legitimately impressive. But I wasn't just a fluke. There were several applicants on TLS and LSN who had slightly worse to a bit better numbers than mine who were also waitlisted by Harvard. Some got in and some didn't. So 3.75-3.8/178-180 isn't what it used to be. There was even a 180/3.79 woman I talked to who seemed very well-written and intelligent based on her posts/messages and had some work experience who was waitlisted and ended up at Columbia with I think a half scholarship.

I'm not complaining though, my cycle went well overall because I got a deferred full ride at Northwestern and I think that situation is as good as or better for me than anything but Yale or a full ride at a better school.