Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Civil posted:

Solution: Make android handsets. Nokia has always made good hardware. Throw out all the S^X poo poo and just go with a platform that has some support and apps behind it instead of blindly brewing their own. Then they could ride the wave instead of having it crash on top of them.

Ugh. Do this Nokia. Please.

They won't.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/fully-functional-android-port-for-n900-threatens-to-beat-n9-to-m/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Civil posted:

Solution: Make android handsets. Nokia has always made good hardware. Throw out all the S^X poo poo and just go with a platform that has some support and apps behind it instead of blindly brewing their own. Then they could ride the wave instead of having it crash on top of them.

Nokia would make a small bit of profit from Android hardware sales while Google rakes in cash in services. Nokia's ego is far too big to let that happen.

200th Poster posted:

Nokia really has the advantage that they have a lot further to fall than palm did. Still I hope it will take less than a year for them to turn things around.
Speaking of Palm, Nokia picked up former Palm exec Peter Skillman to head up Meego.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There's always MeeGo :smith:

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
If only Nokia would condense their smart phone line a little... perhaps Nokia's resources are spread too thin. Or their management's capabilities are not adequate.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Nokia would make a small bit of profit from Android hardware sales while Google rakes in cash in services. Nokia's ego is far too big to let that happen.

Conspiracy theory 2: Microsoft guy brought in is going to make Nokia the premier vendor of WP7 phones.

I really want to know how Nokia is going to attempt to attract developers to the platform. Microsoft can just throw money at them, HP, well HP can throw a little money and printer ink. They're in the path that RIM is going to be in, relegated to the low-end.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Godzilla07 posted:

Conspiracy theory 2: Microsoft guy brought in is going to make Nokia the premier vendor of WP7 phones.

I really want to know how Nokia is going to attempt to attract developers to the platform. Microsoft can just throw money at them, HP, well HP can throw a little money and printer ink. They're in the path that RIM is going to be in, relegated to the low-end.

I'm seeing a lot of people kicking that theory around. I don't think it will happen unless Nokia makes money in services.

Symbian is being targeted for the low end. Symbian has 70% of the Chinese smartphone market, 40% world. That large audience and lack of competition in the Ovi Store is bound to attract some developers.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Septimus posted:

If only Nokia would condense their smart phone line a little... perhaps Nokia's resources are spread too thin. Or their management's capabilities are not adequate.

My key points for the future for Nokia are:

-Ditch Symbian, keep S40 and Meego. Nokia dominates the el cheapo low-end phone market. S40 is perfect for that. There's no use in keeping on Symbian for low-end smartphones because in a year or two even low-end smartphones will have enough oomph to run Meego anyway. Also, consider renaming Meego so something less dorky. Don't devote too much energy to it, just think about it and discuss it around the water cooler.

-Bring the hardware up to current standards or beyond. Aside from camera modules, Nokia is lagging in almost every other department. Make 800x480 screens minimum standard for any future Meego handsets. Make it so Meego can scale resolution easily across handsets so if resolutions increase, the OS can adapt without major re-writes. Nokia held on to 320x240 for far too long and it hurt them by making many of their late S60 handsets seem horribly dated upon release. The N95 was awesome because it was ahead of the market. Nokia hasn't beat anyone to the punch in ages.

-Think of North America! And I'm not just talking about frequencies, I'm also talking about software and after sales support. Yes Asia and Europe may have larger markets, but North America is the engine of the hype machine. Stop treating it like an unwanted stepchild.

-Release fewer handsets per year. You know why I never bought a N97, N86 or anything else after my N82? Every time a new model would come out, another model would be months away promising to address the issues of the model just released. Keep it to a max of one E-series, one N-series, one C-series and one or two bottom feeders per year or else buyers will get caught in a constant cycle of waiting. Make the time between release periods longer so people will resign themselves to actually buying model x or y knowing that it will be a while before the next model comes out.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people kicking that theory around. I don't think it will happen unless Nokia makes money in services.

Symbian is being targeted for the low end. Symbian has 70% of the Chinese smartphone market, 40% world. That large audience and lack of competition in the Ovi Store is bound to attract some developers.

What services? Ovi is a gigantic pile of crap save Ovi Maps.

Nokia does have some money to pay people off (Angry Birds developers) but not to the level that Microsoft can. I haven't heard of any development really for Symbian since Gravity earlier last year. I'm thinking that even webOS has a higher development profile than Symbian right now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Godzilla07 posted:

Oh yeah, another future point:

-Burn Ovi to the ground. All of it. Except Ovi Maps.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ovi share is not bad once you have it configured to upload poo poo to your private media hoard as soon as you take the pic and hit upload. Like everything else Nokia, that behavior should be default but you have to muck around the settings to make it usable .

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Godzilla07 posted:

Nokia does have some money to pay people off (Angry Birds developers) but not to the level that Microsoft can. I haven't heard of any development really for Symbian since Gravity earlier last year. I'm thinking that even webOS has a higher development profile than Symbian right now.
Angry Birds is a perfect example of services. Buying the Eagle character or extra levels are services.

Also, compare these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odiXKsom1uE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxD5Wqixpms

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So I have not updated any apps on my e71 since like over 14 months ago. I decided to do so.

Had to download their new Ovi Store? Cool. Maybe they made the original on-phone app-search thing better than the original. Oh wait it is a steaming pile of even bigger dog poo poo? AWESOME. THANKS NOKIA.

Seriously, I tried searching 'google' on the ovi store and got nothing at all from the results having to do with anything google. All I wanted to do was update my Google Maps application. Jesus.

However, the new Opera Mobile looks much nicer than the original Opera Mini.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My first thought to get google apps would have been to go to google.com
Strange that google maps didn't update itself.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Angry Birds is a perfect example of services. Buying the Eagle character or extra levels are services.

Also, compare these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odiXKsom1uE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxD5Wqixpms

I think that that's proof that Nokia should just say screw it and be a WP7 OEM. :v:

It's going to take at least a year for Nokia to do some sort of turnaround with Meego. One more thing: it's a shame that the E7 looks to be stuck at Symbian^3. Nokia finally learned how to make a keyboard and it looks nice, hardware wise.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Good article about developers and working with Qt.
Good discussion in the comments as well.

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/15/whats-it-like-to-develop-apps-for-nokia-phones/

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Speaking of OVI, I recently got an email from Nokia telling me to get my poo poo off of OVI share because it's going to be shutting down.

e: It might have been OVI files. I can't remember because I never actually used either because Nokia never bothered to integrate any OVI services into the n900.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

200th Poster posted:

Speaking of OVI, I recently got an email from Nokia telling me to get my poo poo off of OVI share because it's going to be shutting down.

Nice to see Nokia treating their faithful so well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I literally can't give my N82 away. I'm going to start asking my friends if they want a free 5 megapixel camera that can also make phone calls.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Am I the only one who finds the Nokia C3-01 the most intriguing phone of all the new Nokia releases?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I literally can't give my N82 away. I'm going to start asking my friends if they want a free 5 megapixel camera that can also make phone calls.

Heh, I'll take it if you don't want it. I gave away my N95 and am feeling a bit of regret.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
After seeing other smart phones have a pretty good resell value when I bought my unlocked E71 for like 300$ 2 years ago, I am resigned to realizing I will most likely barely be able to give the drat thing away now for free.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nokia maps is pretty awesome, at least in Ontario the maps have largely been better than whatever RIM's service provides. Does Google maps allow you to download maps the same way?

On the other hand my Nokia 5800 won't let me use anything but a numpad to enter WEP keys :downs:. If just half of this poo poo worked properly...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Nokia needs to stop trying to be like Apple and making an OS+hardware and just make loving slick hardware that runs on other poo poo. Ugh.

I love my E71's keyboard and form factor (except for the loving headphone jack that was not normal size until E72-- THANKS NOKIA). But Symbian makes me feel like my loving smart phone is Andriod's or iOS's retarded step brother sitting in the corner saying "THANKS FOR INCLUDING ME IN YOU GUYZES' USAGE OF THE TERM SMART PHONE!"

Actually that would make a pretty good Symbian thread title.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

jeeves posted:

Nokia needs to stop trying to be like Apple and making an OS+hardware and just make loving slick hardware that runs on other poo poo. Ugh.

I love my E71's keyboard and form factor (except for the loving headphone jack that was not normal size until E72-- THANKS NOKIA). But Symbian makes me feel like my loving smart phone is Andriod's or iOS's retarded step brother sitting in the corner saying "THANKS FOR INCLUDING ME IN YOU GUYZES' USAGE OF THE TERM SMART PHONE!"

Actually that would make a pretty good Symbian thread title.

I'd just call the thread "40% of the global market". My E63 would be badass if it didn't have S60 on it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

American Jello posted:

I'd just call the thread "40% of the global market". My E63 would be badass if it didn't have S60 on it.
Or the soccer of smartphones. Americans hate it no matter how you spin it.

One figure that I saw recently was 70% in China. That's mindboggling.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

eXXon posted:

Does Google maps allow you to download maps the same way?

Google Maps expects an internet connection forever (or at least as long as it's running). Hell, Google Maps on the PC doesn't let you do more than cache things.

This is one (possibly the only?) case where the Nokia variant has a clear advantage.

God, when did this thread turn into a Nokia Two Minutes' Hate thread?

jeeves posted:

E71 remorse

:saddowns::respek::saddowns:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

God, when did this thread turn into a Nokia Two Minutes' Hate thread?
Reminds me of how white people hate Islam.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I'm super happy with my E73. S60 probably sucks balls but I like it that way because I really only want to use this phone for SMS, email, and managing my calendar. Since it does all of those things fine it is perfect for me, what with the great battery life and small form factor.

Ok the SMS is kind of sucky because it doesn't do anything to help you mange your text messages. Even a simple attempt at threading would be helpful.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr Tran posted:

Reminds me of how white people hate Islam.
I... what?

Where does one even start with that?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr Tran posted:

Or the soccer of smartphones. Americans hate it no matter how you spin it.

One figure that I saw recently was 70% in China. That's mindboggling.

Now are we talking about NOKIA or NOKLA?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Noxious posted:

Ok the SMS is kind of sucky because it doesn't do anything to help you mange your text messages. Even a simple attempt at threading would be helpful.

You can use the free Conversation app from beta labs
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation/download_and_installation

Or pay $12 for a better one from a Chinese developer inked at the bottom of this review
http://www.techcredo.com/symbian/review-of-free-isms-1-08-business-edition

There's a free version linked as well, but you need a signing certificate which is a mess to get.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

Oh yeah, another future point:

-Burn Ovi to the ground. All of it. Except Ovi Maps.

Especially Ovi Maps. Nah, it's not Ovi Maps fault, but here in Brazil for some reason the E72 integrated GPS is almost useless, taking 20 minutes or more to lock a position, while other phones get a lock in less than 5 minutes.

HPL posted:

Am I the only one who finds the Nokia C3-01 the most intriguing phone of all the new Nokia releases?

Whoa, hadn't seem that. My next phone will be an E72 with a touch screen, my perfect phone (maybe with another OS?).

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 17, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

nerdz posted:

Whoa, hadn't seem that. My next phone will be an E72 with a touch screen, my perfect phone (maybe with another OS?).

Motorola Charm? It looks like hell, but might fit the bill.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Dr Tran posted:

You can use the free Conversation app from beta labs
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation/download_and_installation

Or pay $12 for a better one from a Chinese developer inked at the bottom of this review
http://www.techcredo.com/symbian/review-of-free-isms-1-08-business-edition

There's a free version linked as well, but you need a signing certificate which is a mess to get.

Looks like the Conversations App from beta labs was closed. People are pretty upset. I didn't realize Nokia had such a poor rep in the application department. Oh well... The free ISMS looks pretty good and it's still free for the unsigned version.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Noxious posted:

Looks like the Conversations App from beta labs was closed. People are pretty upset. I didn't realize Nokia had such a poor rep in the application department. Oh well... The free ISMS looks pretty good and it's still free for the unsigned version.

You're in luck-- it never worked on half of their phones to begin with!!

free iSMS is pretty nice. I recommend getting the pay version though, it's worth it for the better software integration and fewer glitches/quirks with message notification

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Civil posted:

Motorola Charm? It looks like hell, but might fit the bill.

That completely does it! But I really don't like motorola, even if they managed to move on from the RAZR delusions.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

nerdz posted:

That completely does it! But I really don't like motorola, even if they managed to move on from the RAZR delusions.

I lot of people are very happy with their droid line on verizon. I'd buy one if it suited my needs, and I HATED their razr line. But if you're buying an android phone, make sure the 'community' is going to support it, in the event that the manufacturer does not (see Cliq phones and Moto's lack of OS support).

As far as threaded SMS, I ran conversations on my N82, and it worked just fine. hosed up that they didn't implement that on the E73. Threaded SMS makes sooo much sense.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Great article from arstechnica on the new Qt 4.7

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/09/nokias-cross-platform-development-strategy-evolves-with-qt-47.ars

The N8 ships with 4.6 and will get 4.7 in its first firmware update.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nokia and at&t have a contest for developers with a $250000 grand prize and $150000 for 17 runners up
http://www.callingallinnovators.com/10M/

I think 500 N8's will be given out along with this contest.

Also, there's language in the contest that the target for development is a $400 Symbian^3 device. This could mean the C6 is coming to at&t. Ew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's kind of an interesting article:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/21/pie-chart-apples-outrageous-share-of-the-mobile-industrys-profits/

It gives a good view into the whole Nokia vs iOS thing. It seems that Apple is selling fewer units than Nokia, but bringing in way more money, which sort of counters the usual Nokia line about how Nokia is still on top because they are moving so many units.

In my opinion, I think Apple is doing it right in that they make their phones aesthetically attractive to a wide audience as well as making the phones easy and fun to use. Plus they are adding value to the phones through their extensive App Store and system-wide OS updates. Nokia industrial design tends to be more male-oriented and using Symbian isn't nearly as cheery an experience with a cruder and more technical interface. Even small things like the system font are more pleasant on iOS.

The good thing about this if you're Nokia is that it's easily fixable if you care enough about it, it's a matter of whether they care or not. It's easy to scoff at "chick phones" but man, I can tell you I know a ton of women with iPhones so it's not a market to gloss over.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 24, 2010

• Locked thread